Cannot turn my ignition Key
First Prev
of 27
Next Last
Steve

Lakewood, OH

#1 Feb 9, 2007
Hi all. In a bind. I just left my 2002 Sebring at my kids day care. I could not turn the ignition key. I can insert it and take it out, but not turn to start the car. I tried moving the wheel and nothing. My gear shift is in park and will not move. It's the right key because I drove the car there. Please help..thanks...
Allen

Belleville, MI

#2 Feb 21, 2007
My girlfriend is having the same problem with her 2001 Sebring convertible. She has already had the ignition lock cylinder replaced twice; this is the third time the dealer can't find anything wrong. One thing that was weird was that the steering wheel would turn, but the key would not.
roger davis il

Orange, CA

#3 Feb 25, 2007
Leave the key in the ignition and tap it fairly hard with the end of a screw driver or a mallet as if to drive it into the steering columne and it will then turn. The lock tumblers are not falling back properly keeping the lock frozen If you have a locksmith change the tumblers it will be a 50.00 fix. If you go to the dealer expect about 300.00

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Greg

Dayton, OH

#4 May 2, 2007
Roger is the man. Just tried it with a soft mallot and it worked like a charm!
Rick

San Antonio, TX

#5 Jun 2, 2007
Thanks, Roger. I tried it on my 2003 Impala and it worked.
Florissant, MO

#6 Jul 24, 2007
wow it worked!!!
i tried it on my 01 chrysler sebring and it worked thanks roger
John L

United States

#8 Jul 31, 2007
I just saved $300. It worked again. I was able to turn the ignition with the second hit on the key and remove the tumbler. Thanks for the post Roger. It worked great.
JL
Roy C

Sunset, TX

#9 Aug 20, 2007
Worked on a 2005 Impala. Well, ok, the guy didn't tap the key very hard, got angry and pushed real hard and the key turned.
Bill Marshall

Williamson, GA

#10 Sep 6, 2007
roger davis il wrote:
Leave the key in the ignition and tap it fairly hard with the end of a screw driver or a mallet as if to drive it into the steering columne and it will then turn. The lock tumblers are not falling back properly keeping the lock frozen If you have a locksmith change the tumblers it will be a 50.00 fix. If you go to the dealer expect about 300.00
6 months later and I find this post which solved the problem for my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Thanks, Roger!
Aaron

Plymouth, MI

#11 Sep 18, 2007
Sorry, but this one didn't work on my 95 Concorde... Guess I'll have to call the locksmith
Fred in Houston

Waller, TX

#12 Oct 9, 2007
Roger, I had same problem with my 2002 convertible seebring. Your tip worked just perfect. It took us one minute to solve the problem. BIG thanks to you. The dealer had quoted $290 and I am very pleased to save this $$$$.
Don

Brownsville, TN

#13 Oct 12, 2007
Works 2000 Chrysler cirrus. Thanks
Yippee

Richmond, VA

#14 Oct 18, 2007
Thank you so much! This fixed my 1998 Sebring convertible. A lifesaver!
Tamera

AOL

#15 Nov 9, 2007
OMG! I was stuck in the rain (windows down) and could not turn the ignition key!! Called my friend who looked up this chat group - I did what you said and hit the key with the back of a screwdriver into the steering column and the key turned!!!!!!!!!! Roger Davis, you are my HERO!!!!
JUSTICE HORN

Grain Valley, MO

#16 Nov 11, 2007
I HAVE A 2003 MALIBU & I'M HAVING THE SAME PROBLEMS WITH IT. I TRIED GETTING A NEW KEY MADE BUT THA DOSEN'T WORK EITHER. WHAT SHOULD I DO.
JHert

Medina, OH

#17 Nov 14, 2007
I owe you big time! Just worked on my 2001 Sebring.
maddie

Westbury, NY

#18 Nov 18, 2007
Just worked on my Pathfinder WOO HOO thank you thank you
Brian

Saint John, Canada

#19 Dec 1, 2007
Thanks Roger - you just got me out of a jam .... worked like a charm.
Jack

Indianapolis, IN

#20 Dec 3, 2007
Just worked on my 2002 Grand Cherokee. Very thankful for the post. Did this solve the problem, or is it more like a temporary fix. Should I still have the switch replaced?
lee

Jackson, NJ

#21 Dec 3, 2007
Steve wrote:
Hi all. In a bind. I just left my 2002 Sebring at my kids day care. I could not turn the ignition key. I can insert it and take it out, but not turn to start the car. I tried moving the wheel and nothing. My gear shift is in park and will not move. It's the right key because I drove the car there. Please help..thanks...
Just did it and to my surprise -- IT WORKED. Unbeliveable

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 27
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chrysler Sebring Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Car won't turn off with ignition switch 15 hr Danny d 1
Radio died, remote system not working, door loc... (Aug '08) Aug 21 MissMyExplorer 47
Coolant fans not turning on Aug 15 fields19892000 1
Bad Engine on 2007 Chrysler Sebring (Jun '08) Aug 10 Danie 116
location of oil pressure switch on 2.7 sebring (Feb '10) Aug 10 durr 5
Power windows won't work anymore (Mar '07) Aug 1 Brian 77
News Chrysler Sebring Transmission Questions (May '07) Jul '16 AlSwilling 418
More from around the web