Loud clicking noise in engine.

Posted in the Chrysler Sebring Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mike

Calgary, Canada

#1 Jan 19, 2007
I have a 2002 Chrysler Sebring LXi, and tonight a weird and very loud clicking noise started coming from the engine. I haven't noticed any difference in the performance of the car, just the noise. When I got it home, I waited about 30-40 minutes and started it up again, the clicking noise was there, however when I revved up the clicking ceased. I turned off the car and started it again and the click was gone, however I'm concerned about this noise and really know very little about cars. There's only ~75600 KM on the car, and I got an oil change two and a half weeks ago (and I checked the oil level tonight, it was fine), so I'm doubting that's an issue (however, I could be quite wrong). Anyone have any suggestions as to what this could be?
Tim

Fort George G Meade, MD

#2 Mar 2, 2007
Your PCV Valve sits sideways on your fron valve cover and the check valve is making the noise. It's made out of cheap plastic. Try to replace it but if it keeps making the noise there's nothing that can be done about it. Just bad placement.
Mister K

AOL

#3 Mar 10, 2007
I just posted a comment with the EXACT same problem . Looking for an aswer here now.
Mister K

AOL

#4 Mar 10, 2007
Heres a copy of my pervious post that sounds just like Mike (another mike?) from Canada. I wish it would be the PCV. Gosh if it is, I owe TIM from MD a Pizza ! I was thinking one ( sounds like front) of the Ohead cams went jumped out of time. Clincher is, it would STAY out of time. Simular to Canada Mike, it briefly magically stopped. Here's the previous post I did a half hour ago, for your convinience......

The other day I started my 2001 Chrysler Sebring with a V6 2.6 litre and hear knocking. Sounds EXACTLY like a diesel. I have 125,000 miles on it, but all highway because I travel daily to and from work. It kind of dissapeard after hitting 15,000 on the tach, but my friend used a hose as a stethescope, as I brought the idle up, and says he can still hear it. I've heard the horror stories before, and do regular oil changes to try and keep the "sludge issue" down.

Wierd thing is the other day when I started it up from work, no noise was apparent. When I got home before I shut the car up, I listened and apparently it had retuned. Anybody else experience this? What did your mechanic say the problem was? I'm a "driveway mechanic" after growing up with streetrods, and have done valves, lifters, and heads before on older engines. Hopefully I can fix this with the engine in the car, by lifting the top end off. So I'm just on the internet here getting info and doing research.

By the way this car has the stupidest electric I have ever seen. One speaker has a bad connection, rear defrost no good (*not the relay or the fuse) went through two heater resistors already, dash lights quit at 40,000, all sorts of stupid electric problems that are never the fuse.

Any ideas about the knocking problem?- Mike K
Mister K

AOL

#5 Mar 11, 2007
Investigation day 2:
Another friend listens and agrees sounds like Overhead cam bearing(s) on front head. Again later on I started the car and the sound wasn't there. I've used a "flush" product before oil changes in the past. Still quite a lot of complaints about the drain hole (oil return port on head) being insuficcient in diameter, so it clogs easily, starving the top end of oil. Guess I'll find that out when I rip the intake off. Some other things, that I HOPE are the problem. The Chrysler Sebring EGR Valve plays a key role in reducing unwanted engine emissions as well as reducing engine knock. Chrysler also has a "knock sensor" . But these components are easily at least $60 a piece. I'm going to AutoZone to see if they can do a code check first. Maybe I'd better arm myself with a Chiltons manual while Im there as well. I've read also some tech-savoy mechanics are replacing with the 3.2 and 3.5's . Only modification is the computer needs reprogrammed, of course.
Ellen Pringle

Philadelphia, PA

#6 May 12, 2007
My car has been making a loud noise since november, chrylser came up withbrillant idea to install new rivet in front well
needless to say the noise never left still there. Have contacted chrysler to see if they woud get a senior teck to come and check it out sure if very anyoying and frustrating. Esp when they
tell me it in my head but every one elxe can here it. Soa bulleting did come out still does not work any suggestions.

Thanks
tim kincaide

Carbondale, IL

#7 May 25, 2007
i have a 95 infinity j30 and today she started to make a clicking noise as i accelerate, and she also shakes a little bit
ivan

Pomerene, AZ

#9 Aug 22, 2010
what do mean u revved up the clicking ceased ?? i have same problem plz help...
Sinny in GA

Toledo, OH

#10 Sep 3, 2010
Wow just started having the same problem with my 2001 Chrysler Sebring - really loud constant clicking. Even worse when I drive. Came out of nowhere. No warning. Kept up maintenance and only 74500 miles. Sr tech thinks I may need a new engine :(
patricia in va

Clintwood, VA

#11 Feb 17, 2013
I have a 2002 sebring and I too am having the same problem....please help..i have had it cranked several times and no stopping of the noise its still there...please help....
Cam

West Chester, PA

#12 Nov 14, 2013
I have 2001 Sebring with the exact same problem. Thanks for posting, hoping an answer will turn up.
tim palermo

United States

#13 Jan 13, 2014
look up dodge in dictionary and it says avoid.
Brutuss100

Mason, OH

#14 Feb 14, 2014
For thosae of you reporting the same loud clacking under the hood of your 200* Sebring... If it sounds like a diesel engine at idle, but goes away at higher RPMs. This problem will continue to get louder 1) as the engine warms up 2) doesn't make any sounds until the engine warms up 3) eventually keeps making noise regardless of temp, or oil... here's what I suggest: The Sebgring has a timing belt tensioner that is spring loaded at idle, but is hydraulic at higher speeds (oil pressure). If your car sounds like a diesel engine, have the timing chain belt tensioner replaced. It will cost you about $800 parts and labor. Depending on how hard parts are to get, it is a 1-2 day job, so plan on keeping your car in the shop overnight... Good Luck!
CJM

Kane, PA

#15 Feb 27, 2014
I have an 02 Chrysler that does the same thing. It knocks at a stand still but goes away with acceleration.
STT

United States

#16 Apr 23, 2014
I have the same knocking noise problem with my 2004 Sebring. Noone knows where it is coming from. It started suddenly. It gets louder when put in drive. Any help is appreciated!
DLT

United States

#17 Jun 27, 2014
I have a 2009 Sebring Touring and I hear a tapping noise from the front end like something is loose. Had it checked out and they said it was my front struts. Replaced them but the noise is still there. Got a second opinion and they said it was the stabilizer bar and I got that replaced and the noise is still there. The CV axle has been check and the boots are not busted so can the grease still leak out somehow? Is that my whole problem? I hate to keep pouring money out and the problem doesn't go away.
ron hates chrysler

Saint Petersburg, FL

#18 Jun 28, 2014
DLT wrote:
I have a 2009 Sebring Touring and I hear a tapping noise from the front end like something is loose. Had it checked out and they said it was my front struts. Replaced them but the noise is still there. Got a second opinion and they said it was the stabilizer bar and I got that replaced and the noise is still there. The CV axle has been check and the boots are not busted so can the grease still leak out somehow? Is that my whole problem? I hate to keep pouring money out and the problem doesn't go away.
sell it to someone with incredibly bad luck or drive it to the ghetto and say goodbye. your car is literally a piece of sh*t with wheels.
Jasmine

Van Nuys, CA

#19 Jul 11, 2014
Same problem. So for sure it's the timing belt
eric

Washington, DC

#20 Jan 24, 2015
I have a 1969 Buick Electra Deuce and a quarter when I start my car it don't makes no noise but once it getgets warmed up it's start making this loud knocking noise
Juston

Avon, IN

#21 Feb 9, 2015
My friend has a 2002 Chrysler Sebring and she said it died at her at a stop sign but started again and then sometime after she was driving and said sounded like something cracked and then got it home and couldn't get it started, had it pulled to her parents and I went to look at it for her, it stared eventually but sounded like something was knocking I checked the dip stick it was good till I checked again there was no oil on it, still knocking then turned it off opened where you put oil in and seemed like lil smoke coming out like it didnt have none in it but the sound seems coming right from that front valve cover but what possibilities could it be??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chrysler Sebring Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News All-new 2008 Chrysler Sebring convertible tops ... (Dec '06) Mar '18 jlauernc 99
1996 Sebring Starter or electrical issue Mar '18 JX Jalopy 1
2001 Chrysler Sebring ... Engine Problems (Oct '06) Mar '18 FHM 447
engine swap (Apr '15) Mar '18 Steve 2
Radio died, remote system not working, door loc... (Aug '08) Feb '18 Shell2005 76
2002 Chrysler Sebring LXI Coupe Halo Tail Lights? Feb '18 JWaggs 1
News Chrysler Sebring Transmission Questions (May '07) Feb '18 Walter P Chrysler 443