2004 Pacifica electrical problems

Posted in the Chrysler Pacifica Forum

First Prev
of 16
Next Last
rpalmer

United States

#1 Jun 20, 2006
I purchased an 04 Pacifica AWD last fall, and had a lot of problems to start...entire dash board would shut off while I was on the highway, then turn back on after stopping and restarting. Never got a reply of why it was happening, but it stopped doing it eventually after going to the dealer 5 times. Rear hatch had problems opening...many times, it will just blink and beep once and not open, but eventually opens.

The latest is that my driver's seat has quit reclining. I can hear a "click" when I use the button, but nothing happens. Today it reclined a few inches then stopped and I had to play around with it to get it to come back up. I'm at 47k miles and not under warranty...ugh.

Not very happy with my Pacifica.
dougc

Garner, NC

#2 Nov 1, 2006
I have an 04 AWD as well, yet my weird problems relate to driving in the rain. Sometimes it will just shut off, or won't start when its raining outside.

Been to the dealer on the tow truck 4x now in the last 5 months and of course, there is nothing wrong with it!

This will be the last American car i buy. I tried to support our economy, but this car has been nothing but a nightmare. Before this I had a new Jeep grand cherokee.....guess what...same bad luck with it too.

MY volvo is rock solid and I think I will buy another one. Good luck to everyone out there.
ddg

Tucson, AZ

#3 Nov 3, 2006
My '04 AWD Pacifica has had off and on problems with the auto seat adjusters. First time, the whole door system, auto windows, seats, lights quit. They replaced the door module. That was about a year ago and now it's acting up again. Luckily, I had the sense to get the extended bumper to bumper warranty since I knew it was the first year out w/ this model. Lots of little problems, but a new one that is serious is that mine just had the power transfer unit go bad. Another owner of an '04 AWD Pacifica was in the repair waiting area and has the same problem. Mine has 40K miles, hers nearly 60K. So beware of a cluncking noise when decelerating.
Ruby

Portland, OR

#4 Nov 15, 2006
dougc wrote:
I have an 04 AWD as well, yet my weird problems relate to driving in the rain. Sometimes it will just shut off, or won't start when its raining outside.
Been to the dealer on the tow truck 4x now in the last 5 months and of course, there is nothing wrong with it!
This will be the last American car i buy. I tried to support our economy, but this car has been nothing but a nightmare. Before this I had a new Jeep grand cherokee.....guess what...same bad luck with it too.
MY volvo is rock solid and I think I will buy another one. Good luck to everyone out there.
I traded in my Jeep Grand Cherokee for the Pacifica one year ago because I was having too many problems with the Jeep. Sadly, I'm in love with the STYLE of my Pacifica, but my husband wants me to sell it because of all the problems we've had with it so far. My transmission light comes on every other week. Can never tell whether or not there's really a problem. Scary.
nancyl

Chicago, IL

#5 Jan 3, 2007
when I adjust mirror or push button to close the garage door, if the radio is on it changes stations! Also, today keyless remote wouldn't work, engine is dead, wouldn't turn over at all, yet outlets in the car that run off the battery are working. I suspect electrical problems.
Lisa

Rochester, NY

#6 Jan 9, 2007
I too have had MANY, MANY problems with my 04 Pacifica - it started with the loss of my turnsignals, then my turnsignals, highbeams and yes the entire dash along with the hatch not opening at all. Over about 6 months it went from bad to worse - the mechanics kept resetting the computer and then saying - all better - no it was not all better. After the 3rd time I lost the dash and everything else, I threw my keys at one of the owners of the dealership (who is on a first name basis with me by now) and said I don't want it anymore - he looked at me like I was crazy. Long story short - we made a deal on another 04 Pac - this one was LOADED, dvd player, power liftgate, gps, etc. Well now the power lifgate is not working and just this weekend and today had a dead battery - the mechanic where I worked checked and it is not the battery - he says there is a short somewhere - if I have to go thru an electrical problem again I will dump this car in their lot and walk away - I am SICK AND TIRE of this car, even though I really like the AWD and 6 person seating. I can not be late once a week for work and drive myself crazy wondering if it's gonaa work today or more importantly - are my kids safe in this car?
CHP

Middletown, MD

#7 Jan 12, 2007
04 Pacifica bought new has only 16,000 miles. In for its 3rd problem in one month. This is second time for seat adjustment. It puts seat in recline even while driving. Last time it killed the battery. Dealer had it towed in and then jerked me around for 2 days. Now can't see the car for another 3 days.Does not seemed concerned that I am a senior citizen with no transportation.
Mike

Hoboken, NJ

#8 Jan 24, 2007
For three years I had nothing but ptaise for my Pacifica, but now there is a very annoying electrical short somewhere in the driver's side module. Took it to the dealer because the power seats would not move. According to the dealer, they reset the computer. Well, it's doing the same thing all over again--nothing. Does anybody have an idea about what could be causing this problem?
Mort

AOL

#9 Jan 25, 2007
2005 Limited AWD with undiagnosed electrical problem(s) that have occurred twice in the last few months. Both times the battery was drained, and each time the battery is checked out to be fine. Apparently there are no parasitic electrical problems, but did notice that the passenger front seat had changed its position at or during this last event. Has anyone else had similar experiences?
Aimi

Saint Louis, MO

#10 Feb 1, 2007
Mort wrote:
2005 Limited AWD with undiagnosed electrical problem(s) that have occurred twice in the last few months. Both times the battery was drained, and each time the battery is checked out to be fine. Apparently there are no parasitic electrical problems, but did notice that the passenger front seat had changed its position at or during this last event. Has anyone else had similar experiences?
I, too, am having problems with my Pacifica. Last summer the battery was "dead" although it was only 2 years old with 32,000 miles. The power seat has just quit working on us two different times before and just today, decided to quit working again. It's a little hard to drive when the pedals are 2 feet from your feet! I've called the dealship re this and they have no suggestions. It just seems to start working again all by itself. I've also noticed a strange rattling noise in the front and have had it checked twice to no avail. There is also a loud popping sound every now and then - scary. And, last but not least, there is another sound that someone else also posted about on another site that sounds like a plastic bag stuck under your car while driving on the highway. So comforting. Nothing like a $40,000 car that sounds like a log wagon!
Chuck

United States

#11 Feb 5, 2007
I purchased a 2007 model in September, and it was an excellent vehicle until we hit 5200 miles. Electrical problems prevent both front windows from operating-blown fuses! Going into shop again today. Buy Japanese!!!!
Ginger

United States

#12 Feb 9, 2007
I broght a 2005 Chysler Pacifica in March of 2005. I've had nothing but problems. There is a knocking sound coming from the front right side of my vehicle every time that I park. This have been going on for about 10 Months. I tried to shift gears and it was stuck. It wouldn't change gears, the the leather strip cover broke when I finally forced the gear so that i can drive, now you can see the wiring underneath the base when it is in gear. I need 4 new tires already. I didn't get no warning that my breaks were going out. I didn't hear no squeaking sound. One day, I was driving and I heard grinding. I took it to the shop to find out eat I need rotors. I looked at my rotors myself and they were worn down. The left one was the worse. My battery is dying slowly but surely. I had to get a jumpstart twice with in the last two to three weeks. Please pray about it before you purchase this vehicle. The wear and tear is awful as well. I don't have any kids and it is still bad. I spent a lot of money maintenancing this vehicle and it is expensive enough. I am surprised. I though that these were awsome vehicles since Mercedes merged with them and building there parts. Maybe I just got a bad one. I don't know. I only have abourt 29,000 miles on the vehicle. NIGHTMARE!!!!
Tom

Seaside, OR

#13 Feb 17, 2007
Gee Whiz. I bought my 2004 Pacifica when they first came out, in October 2003. Mine was one of the few with the 70,000 mile 7 year warranty. I bought one with all the options. I have had ZERO problems with it. Best car I've ever owned, by far. I lug wife, two long legged teens and their two friends routinely. Can't believe I'm hearing of so many problems. Hope this posting doesn't jinx me!
Whizy

Linden, NJ

#14 Feb 18, 2007
I bought used Pacifica 04 a month ago. The day I bought car Transmission GONE... Car is still under powertrain warrenty & got fixed by dealer with $100 deduct. Car has 40K so far...
The is sooooooo smooth that even 85/90 mph, it feels like u r cruising on 40mph. I have no problem BUT transmission (good think now i have Brand new transmission hihihi)
Darrell Madison IN

Madison, IN

#15 Feb 21, 2007
Love the style of this car. I traded a 02 Chevy Trailblazer in for this car. I had alot of trouble out of my Trailblazer. I have had none out of my Pacifica. My Pacifica is a 2004 with 44000 miles on it now. I have owned it for 4 months now. The only thing I see wrong is at night when coming to a stop my lights flash.
Bob

Brooklyn, NY

#16 Mar 5, 2007
Man I feel sick reading all this, I just bought an 04 two weeks ago.:(
am in chicago

Hickory Hills, IL

#17 Mar 11, 2007
damm, I just bought one two weeks ago. Shoot :(
Chris

Oakland, NJ

#18 Mar 14, 2007
Aimi wrote:
<quoted text> I, too, am having problems with my Pacifica. Last summer the battery was "dead" although it was only 2 years old with 32,000 miles. The power seat has just quit working on us two different times before and just today, decided to quit working again. It's a little hard to drive when the pedals are 2 feet from your feet! I've called the dealship re this and they have no suggestions. It just seems to start working again all by itself. I've also noticed a strange rattling noise in the front and have had it checked twice to no avail. There is also a loud popping sound every now and then - scary. And, last but not least, there is another sound that someone else also posted about on another site that sounds like a plastic bag stuck under your car while driving on the highway. So comforting. Nothing like a $40,000 car that sounds like a log wagon!
I have an 04 that had to have a battery replaced in 06 and have had several trips to the dealer with the same rattling/knocking noise in the right front wheel and from the center of the car. They have repalced struts, sway bars and control arms previously. This week at 50,000 miles after complaining of the same noises happening again they replaced the drive shaft, right struts., stabilizer bar and the transfer case for the awd system. Thank goodness for the maximum care policy we purchased which has 7/70,000 coverage. It only cost me the $100 deductible.
Lynn Fulford

Williamsburg, VA

#19 Mar 15, 2007
Well, I have an 04 Pacifica, haven't owned for a year yet and have had to put tires on it. The the check engine light came on and it was a "Purge Solenoid Assembly". That cost me $280. I am really sick of this car!!!!
Lisa York

Brookline, MA

#20 Mar 18, 2007
I bought an 04 last June, and guess what? my power seats do not work either. The dealer had to replace the transfer case. I've had to replace a battery already. The car only had 11,000 miles on it. I will never buy Chrysler again.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chrysler Pacifica Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Oh My Fri Jfavino 1
News Jeep Trailcat Is the 707-hp Hellcat-Powered Wra... (Mar '16) Apr 25 Wheels 7
2005 Pacifica Apr 25 Miltz1 1
04 Pacifica transmission problems (May '16) Apr 21 Raiderfan 6
2007 Chrysler Pacifica, Wont shift out of 1st g... (Jul '10) Apr 17 LovelyMary 30
News 2017 Honda Odyssey vs. 2018 Honda Odyssey: Buy ... Apr 1 Hank Bobson 2
04Pacifica Tire sensors (2) need replacing (Jul '08) Mar 29 question pacifica 18
More from around the web