2000 Chrysler 300M Engine Stall / Failure

Posted in the Chrysler 300M Forum

First Prev
of 18
Next Last
Karen

Owatonna, MN

#1 Apr 11, 2006
My 2000 Chrysler 300M stalled when I was accelerating about 2 weeks ago. It would not start again and I had to have it towed and the mechanic is saying that the engine is shot. He said he has seen this before (not necessarily just in this make/model) where the car is in great shape and fairly low miles (70,000) and the engine stalls or quits when trying to accelerate. There was no warning light beforehand, the oil is completely black even though I had it changed less than 1000 miles prior. Has anyone heard of this before and if so, have you had any luck in getting Chrysler to pay for a portion of the repair ($4000!)?? Please email me direct at karantzy@charter.net. Thank you very much!
Mario Jimerson

Redmond, WA

#2 Apr 22, 2006
Hi Karen, I just bought a "new" 2000 chrysler 300M last week, grant you I just got the car, so I can't say what the problem is you had, it broke my heart to read about it, and made me wonde what the problem is to cause it to happen. I told my wife about it and will keep a close watch on it. I also will keep a close eye on the calipers on the brakes, Seems to be a problem with this model, mine seem to be ok at this time. The problems with the calipers seem to warp, why, I don't know, but right now, I have no problems. Engine runs good also, but again, If I have a problem with it, I'm taking it back to the dealer and will have a very they will have a very intense experience with yours truly. I hope the best for you.

Regards

Mario Jimerson
Don Lee

Casa Grande, AZ

#3 Jul 9, 2006
I hope not. I just got rid of my Ford Bronco because the Ford's all had the transmission going out at 70,000. Something about a plastic piece in the transmission that fails. If chrysler has this, I'm going to trade it now.
Chris

Winter Park, FL

#4 Aug 21, 2006
I'm surprised that Chrysler has not informed it's customers about this problem. I experienced the same "Engine Stall" problem in the 1st year of ownership of my 2000 300M. The car has a problem w/the crank shaft sensor. In fact, the sensor fails intermittantly. When this sensor fails, your engine shuts down...period. It is nearly impossible to diagnose the problem. Once the cars starts, the computer failure codes are lost. The techs don't know where to look. The 3rd time that my car was towed into the dealer, I refused to pick it up until they found the problem. After 4 weeks, they called me with the fix.(If you don't count the lake of confidence) I haven't had a problem since.
Traci

United States

#5 Aug 23, 2006
Chris, I noticed your post and am wondering if this is what is wrong with my 1999 300M. On 4 seperate occasions my car will just loose power for no reason and with little warning. I first thought it had to do with my family going on long trips, but it has recently started to have problems only several miles away from home. Would your car crank back up within an hour or so as if nothing ever happened. I am also experiencing the mechanins have no luck at finding the problem. It won't register any problem at all. Any advice will be appreciated
Chad

Holland, OH

#6 Dec 9, 2006
I just experienced my 99 Chrysler 300M stalling while driving two times in the past 2 weeks. After the first time, the mechanic replaced the crank sensor along with new spark plugs, cleaning the throttle assembly, etc. It ran great for a few days and then stalled again while going down the interstate. He replaced the cam sensor this time. I hope this does it. On both occasions, he couldn't find a code to help diagnose because after the tow truck drop the car off he started it up just fine.
Traci

Mcdonough, GA

#7 Jan 14, 2007
Chad wrote:
I just experienced my 99 Chrysler 300M stalling while driving two times in the past 2 weeks. After the first time, the mechanic replaced the crank sensor along with new spark plugs, cleaning the throttle assembly, etc. It ran great for a few days and then stalled again while going down the interstate. He replaced the cam sensor this time. I hope this does it. On both occasions, he couldn't find a code to help diagnose because after the tow truck drop the car off he started it up just fine.
Chad, I hope your problem has been resolved, but just in case not I will share with you what seems to have finally worked for me. I also had the crank shaft sensor changed at the dealership and within a month my car was stalling again. I then took the car to my local mechanic and left it for almost a month, of course it never stalled for him but he eventually suggested that we replace the fuel pump since Chryslers have been known to have fuel pump problems after 100,000 miles which mine has. I have not had any problems since(I'm keeping my fingers crossed). I hope this will help in some way.
tice

Richmond, VA

#8 Jan 16, 2007
Traci wrote:
m\<quoted text>Chad, I hope your problem has been resolved, but just in case not I will share with you what seems to have finally worked for me. I also had the crank shaft sensor changed at the dealership and within a month my car was stalling again. I then took the car to my local mechanic and left it for almost a month, of course it never stalled for him but he eventually suggested that we replace the fuel pump since Chryslers have been known to have fuel pump problems after 100,000 miles which mine has. I have not had any problems since(I'm keeping my fingers crossed). I hope this will help in some way.
Ihave a 99 300m and when i start it it feels like it wants to cut off am going to get the fuel pump checked thx
martice

Richmond, VA

#9 Jan 16, 2007
Every since i got my 300m i been in and out the shop,my wheel barrings went bad($397)driver seat heat does'nt work($297)brake pads and belt($420)I hope nothing else gose bad
Nina

Hyde Park, MA

#10 Feb 18, 2007
Chris wrote:
I'm surprised that Chrysler has not informed it's customers about this problem. I experienced the same "Engine Stall" problem in the 1st year of ownership of my 2000 300M. The car has a problem w/the crank shaft sensor. In fact, the sensor fails intermittantly. When this sensor fails, your engine shuts down...period. It is nearly impossible to diagnose the problem. Once the cars starts, the computer failure codes are lost. The techs don't know where to look. The 3rd time that my car was towed into the dealer, I refused to pick it up until they found the problem. After 4 weeks, they called me with the fix.(If you don't count the lake of confidence) I haven't had a problem since.
Chris, I just read your post and I believe I am having the same exact problems with my 2000 Chrysler 300M as you did. My car will start beautifully at one point, and then maybe the next time it would just make a loud click and not start at all. Its totally random and usually a jump would start it up again. All the other things (heat, lights and radio) would work fine but the car would just NOT turn over. I brought it to my mechanic and he had no idea what was wrong with it. So I'm wondering if you can tell me if replacing the Crank Shaft Senor is a big/expensive job? Thanks so much for your help.
JAMAL ULYSSE

Apopka, FL

#11 Mar 9, 2007
Karen wrote:
My 2000 Chrysler 300M stalled when I was accelerating about 2 weeks ago. It would not start again and I had to have it towed and the mechanic is saying that the engine is shot. He said he has seen this before (not necessarily just in this make/model) where the car is in great shape and fairly low miles (70,000) and the engine stalls or quits when trying to accelerate. There was no warning light beforehand, the oil is completely black even though I had it changed less than 1000 miles prior. Has anyone heard of this before and if so, have you had any luck in getting Chrysler to pay for a portion of the repair ($4000!)?? Please email me direct at karantzy@charter.net. Thank you very much!
Recently I've hade the same problem with my 1999 Chrysler 300m. I was coming back from work, with no warning light on the dashboard, the car started to stall after slowing down for a red light and after a full stop the engine dies completely. It got really hot, after waited a while the car would start but if you slows down or stop the engine dies And I hade to get it towed too. The mechanic told me that the oil pan is leaking. the computer shutdown the engine because no oil is going through the it; and I was looking at a $4000.00+ JOB to get it fix. The car's been down for almost month now. If you know anyway I could get some help with the expenses; PLEASE let me know. Me email address marcuss1@blackplanet.com THANK YOU.
JAMAL ULYSSE

Apopka, FL

#12 Mar 9, 2007
Recently I've hade the same problem with my 1999 Chrysler 300m. I was coming back from work, with no warning light on the dashboard, the car started to stall after slowing down for a red light and after a full stop the engine dies completely. It got really hot, after waited a while the car would start but if you slows down or stop the engine dies And I hade to get it towed too. The mechanic told me that the oil pan is leaking. the computer shutdown the engine because no oil is going through the it; and I was looking at a $4000.00+ JOB to get it fix. The car's been down for almost month now. If you know anyway I could get some help with the expenses; PLEASE let me know. Me email address marcuss1@blackplanet.com THANK YOU.
glen peterson

Westby, WI

#13 Mar 24, 2007
i have a 99 300m and after a mile or two when i start it in the morning the engine just shuts off. after a minute or two the engine will start back up and not bother again all day. does anyone have any ideas....glen
butta

Bellingham, WA

#14 May 16, 2007
Im having a problem with my heater display lights. I have checked everything and it wont turn on. Once in a while when you hit it, it will turn on for a couple minutes then fade away? Anyone know what the deal is?
JimSmith

Lower Sackville, Canada

#15 May 31, 2007
My 2000 300M is hard to start at times and just keeps turning over then it backfires or floods, May be someone else has been through this and has a cure
Thanks
Jim smith
Viv

Salt Lake City, UT

#16 Jun 1, 2007
JimSmith wrote:
My 2000 300M is hard to start at times and just keeps turning over then it backfires or floods, May be someone else has been through this and has a cure
Thanks
Jim smith
I have a 2001 300 and at times it would do the same thing it was hard to turn over and then I could smell gas, did you ever notice blue smoke from the exhaust if so....It is a fuel injector problem trust me it took me almost 6 months to figure out my problem hope this helps
Deborah

Sellersburg, IN

#17 Jul 19, 2007
I have a 2004 300M and have just had the 2nd camshaft position sensor failure so I'm on my 3rd sensor. It failed a year ago and then again last week. The car suddenly loses the ability to accelerate, engine light comes on, and the car can not be driven. It took a week for the sensor to arrive so I was without the car for seven days. I feel this is a real safety issue as well as a major pain. My son was driving on the interstate, 70 miles per hour, lost acceleration suddenly with the sensor failure and luckily avoided a major accident. Does anyone know how to get Chrysler's attention regarding this problem?
Cindy

Chicago, IL

#18 Jul 30, 2007
Nina wrote:
<quoted text>
Chris, I just read your post and I believe I am having the same exact problems with my 2000 Chrysler 300M as you did. My car will start beautifully at one point, and then maybe the next time it would just make a loud click and not start at all. Its totally random and usually a jump would start it up again. All the other things (heat, lights and radio) would work fine but the car would just NOT turn over. I brought it to my mechanic and he had no idea what was wrong with it. So I'm wondering if you can tell me if replacing the Crank Shaft Senor is a big/expensive job? Thanks so much for your help.
Hi Nina, I had my crank sensor fixed and paid less than $200 but that never solved my problem :(
Cindy

Chicago, IL

#19 Jul 30, 2007
Ok I thought I had bad luck, but it seems like the 300M is a pain in the butt for everyone. So here is my story...I bought my car (used) last year in July its a 99 and it had about 80k miles, I hadn't had any problems until this year about April 07. One day as I was driving it shut off...just like that. My oil lamp light was on and the car was still running so I would merge to the right but it was hard because my steering was stiff and the brake pedal was hard and wouldnt let me push it. So I freaked out!!! I turned it completely off, then few minutes it started again like nothing. I took it back to Jiffy Lube because they were the last ones who touch my car. It turned out that my oil pan was stripped. Soon after I left the shop it happened again near home. I took it back and had them do a diagnostic but no codes displayed. This kept happening on and off randomly. I took it to a shop who said it was a sensor which they fixed but soon it began again. Took it to another place and the change the crank shift sensor, still it turns off randomly. Another diagnostic was performed and no codes came up. At this point Im sure you can understand my frustration, but as we should know Chryslers are known for problems! My bro-n-law said his was a sensor in the distributor which he paid $14 and it was fine, but mine is still a mystery. I believe it some sensor that is triggered somehow that causes the car to shut off because it (feels) the car is going to heat up and blow the engine. Or another possibility is the fuel pump because I use to drive on E a lot. I still have not had it fixed, everyone has there opinions but its difficult to pin point because of the diagnostics. Ive put in about $600 and Im afraid that if I fix the fuel pump and it turns out thats not it Im going to be really mad!!! Anyone else has had the same problem with the car shutting down as your driving??? Please let me know! Thanks
shericeia

Cincinnati, OH

#20 Aug 8, 2007
Hi Cindy i am having the same exact problem with my car and its been going on since april 2007 the mechanic said it was difficult to tell what was wrong because it never cut off when he had it. I am paying a car note for this piece of u know what and I'm going to trade it in because chrysler cars are a pain in the ass, I'm truly convienced. The car is dangerous and chrysler needs to address this serious issue

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 18
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chrysler 300M Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chrysler 300M Check Engine Light (Sep '10) Apr 14 Jennifer 11
2002 300m special tranny problems (Oct '07) Apr 4 Indiarain 38
air inlet tube & inline resonator Apr 1 jedmsie 2
intermittent cranking,asd relay clicking.pls help Mar '15 mraircraftdr 1
300M Transmission Shifter is sticking (Mar '07) Feb '15 Jason 13
300m -99 how to change map reading light? (Dec '06) Feb '15 Mikael Berglund 8
2014 Chrysler 300 check engine light stays on Feb '15 Richard 2
More from around the web