Evaporator Coil Failer
Joe

Brooklyn, NY

#21 Jul 13, 2007
Forgot to mention, it's buried behind the low-center of the dashboard, that's why it's so expensive to replace, you have to remove the whole instrument panel. I was able to see all of the leaked out dye with a UV light by turning the passenger wheel full to the right and shining back toward the rear-center of the engine compartment.
Johnny B

Laredo, TX

#22 Jul 14, 2007
Hey Joe,

But do you have to literally remove the whole dashboard to access it??? Is there an easyer way??? I also noticed that my car would blow out a white smoky vapor from the dashboard. Is that the Freon Gas escaping through the Evaporator? If its a bargaing to get it fixed for 400 dlls, i'll gladly pay it!!!
Joe

Brooklyn, NY

#23 Jul 17, 2007
I was told that's how it has to be done by the mechanic and I also purchased access to the ALLDATA reports for the '99 300M and Chrylser has listed that as the method for replacement. $400 is definitely a good price. I was told to expect about $1000. Another mechanic said they'd do it for $600, but they hadn't identified the leak at that point, so I don't know that it wouldn't have been raised.
Joe

Brooklyn, NY

#24 Jul 17, 2007
Forgot to mention, I've also had that vapor come out through the vents...I was told that it wasn't the refrigerant and it didn't happen everytime the system discharged in my experience. Anyway, the refrigerant is R-134a (supposedly not harmful)and not Freon.

At this point I'm still debating getting it done...the weather here in the North-East lately has really been tempting me to do it.

From what I gather, there's no easier way to replace it. I know you can get at the evaporator coils by removing the blower motor from under the passenger dash (I also need to do this since I have that lovely manure smell permeating the car through my vents due to what, according to a TSB issued by Chrysler, is a build up of mold/bacteria on the coils). I don't see how you could fix it through there though.

Incidentally, I don't know how bad your leak is, but I was able to stretch more than a year out of it by recharging with R-134a with leak stop. Those charges were lasting me about 3-4 weeks at a time. Unfortunately for me, it now only lasts about 10 hours.
Becky

Shreveport, LA

#25 Jul 23, 2007
Wow! Sounds like we are all getting SCREWED by Chrysler! I have a 99 Town & Country Van that had the Freon recharge and the dye thing and 2 weeks later here I am roasting again in 95 degree weather! My repair is going to be $1100 for the evaporator coil and the receiver dryer (?) but I have no choice than to get it fixed. I cant stand to be hot!! And neither can my kids. It's either pay $1100 or $25,000 for a new car. I opt for the $1100. Unfortunately, I knew Chrysler/Dodges had a bad reputation for crappy A/C's but I thought I would take my chances. Never again will I buy Chrysler or Dodge...My husband has a dodge and the A/C hasnt worked since about the 4th year we owned it. Chrysler/Dodge should be ASHAMED of how they treat the very people who have made them what they are today!!!!!
Johnny B

Laredo, TX

#26 Jul 23, 2007
Hey Becky,

I have researched and found in alot of webpages that many of these cars do for a fact need to be repaired for the Evaporator Coil. I havent even bothered with the dealer since they are always way more expensive to do a repair. About the weather, here in Texas we have been up to 102 degrees!! Imagine driving in leather seats like that!!! Ouch!!!
Face

Faribault, MN

#27 Jul 26, 2007
Add another sucker to the list, same problem here exactly, sorry to say but it's nice to see other people are having the same problem so I can relate and get some ideas on what to do to fix or not to fix but will probably just get it charged again for remainer of the summer since this car is normally only winter driven up in Minnesota here and the heater works fine.=)
Mary Taylor

Hancock, MD

#28 Jul 26, 2007
Last month the a/c on my 2001 Concorde stopped working. Dye tests for leakage were negative. Diagnosis; "Evaporator needs replaced" $250 for parts and freon,$500 for labor. I remember the same thing happening on a Dodge Intrepid I owned. It required an eveporator and a compressor.

I had luck with getting Chyrsler to reimburse me over an engine sludge problem after I registered on a site called the Squeeky Wheel. In the end (approximately one year later)Chrysler contacted me and I received partial reimbursement. I'm going to the squeeky wheel website now.
Johnny B

Laredo, TX

#29 Jul 27, 2007
HEHEHE! i found the page, but you have to pay 5.00 us dollars to get this service....i don't know, 5 bucks for the possibility to receive a refund for fixing my car doesn't sound bad to me.
Johnny B

Laredo, TX

#30 Jul 29, 2007
Hey guys, I bought a used evaporator core of the internet, and the guy sent me detailed instructions on how to do it youself. If any of you want a copy of this e-mail just post ur e-mail address and i'll send it ASAP!!!

P.S. After I read theis e-mail, i knew why they are charging so much to do this repair. You have to have the right tools and alot of time (1 1/2 -2 days at least) to work on your vehicle.
Face

Faribault, MN

#31 Jul 30, 2007
Hey Johnny B, send me those instuctions, me and my father-in-law want to tackle it.

[email protected]
Joe

Brooklyn, NY

#32 Jul 31, 2007
If you could send me a copy as well at [email protected] I would appreciate it.
Johnny B

Laredo, TX

#33 Aug 1, 2007
Hey FACE & JOE,

I just sent you guys a forward of the e-mail i received. Hope it helps!!!!

Laterz
Tom M

Hagerstown, MD

#34 Aug 1, 2007
Hey Johnny B, add another Chrysler buying moron to the list. Please send me the e-mail too if you dont mind.

[email protected]
JAJA

United States

#35 Aug 1, 2007
Please send me the emailed instructions as well. I'm in the same boat with my 300M. Thanks so much!!
JAJA

United States

#36 Aug 1, 2007
oops, you might need my email address to do so:
[email protected]
Tae

Lake Worth, FL

#37 Aug 2, 2007
I have a 97 Chrysler T and C. Yes I am a sucker too. I bought an extended warranty on my van and went to use it when I found out the compressor and the evaporator coil has to be replaced. the dealer wanted 2500.00 and my warranty does not cover the coil. my dad luckily is a mechanic so the price is only going to be for the cost of the parts. I will never buy another Chrysler again.
Does anyone know how much the coil is?
Johnny B

Laredo, TX

#38 Aug 2, 2007
Hey Tae,

Ive seen them go from 80 to 160 dollars, depends where you look. i bought a used on online and it works great. I dont know if you want to go that route though.
Johnny B

Laredo, TX

#39 Aug 2, 2007
Oh, Tom M and JAJA,

Ive send the instructions to ur e-mails
Ken

Appleton, WI

#41 Aug 3, 2007
Johnny B wrote:
Hey guys, I bought a used evaporator core of the internet, and the guy sent me detailed instructions on how to do it youself. If any of you want a copy of this e-mail just post ur e-mail address and i'll send it ASAP!!!
P.S. After I read theis e-mail, i knew why they are charging so much to do this repair. You have to have the right tools and alot of time (1 1/2 -2 days at least) to work on your vehicle.
Hi Johnny, Please email me the instructions. Thanks.
Ken [email protected]

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chrysler 300M Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2000 Chrysler 300M Engine Stall / Failure (Apr '06) Jul 31 T Wade 384
2002 300m special tranny problems (Oct '07) Jul '17 Shannon 56
2014 Chrysler 300 check engine light stays on (Feb '15) May '17 Tam 8
Under hood fuse issue - Window, turn signals an... (Feb '10) Apr '17 Susie 10
towing questions (Mar '11) Mar '17 Jane 3
Ignition switch locked up, but steering wheel not? (Jan '08) Mar '17 Dartell mason 9
trailer hitch (Aug '10) Feb '17 kLitscher 4
More from around the web