2002 300m special tranny problems
k dizzle

Philadelphia, PA

#22 Nov 12, 2011
my issue is i have an 02 300m special. thursday night on my way home my car was smoking and i noticed a trail of fluid behind me while i drove when i got home my trans fluid gushed out from the bottom. got it towed to my mech and he checks it out friday and tells me that a rubber plug came out on the side of the trans the problem lies in finding this plug. does anyone know anything about this plug and where i can get one he's having some trouble finding one really appreciate any help
Adam

Hilmar, CA

#23 Mar 28, 2012
Ok so I recently been having this issue where my 01 300M will all of a sudden start shacking and would barely accelerate like it was out of gas, but my gauges say I did have gas, so I stop fill up and it started back with a little hesitation but was fine, so I thought maybe the fuel gauge and overhead info reader was giving incorrect reading fuel reading... Then today (four days later)on my way home from work i felt it doing the same thing as before like it wanted to die out, but I know it has gas in it as I but more gas from mu fill up on Friday. I was trying to get off the freeway when the rpm gauge accelerated on it's on to about 3000 rpm's and I started smelling a werid smell like a burning smell coming from somewhere on my car, do I turn the car off called my towing to tow it the remaining 5 miles to my house... As I waited for the tow I checked the code from the dash which gave me P0700... Then when I get home I trying backing it up in my parking space once thd tow guy took it odd the truck it would not go into reverse, forward but not reverse, so I had to turn it off and put into nueterl to get it to back up... What does this mean, I know that the P0700 is related to the transmission but idk what's going on, any advise based on the symtoms I described?
JohnH

Fountain Valley, CA

#25 Nov 30, 2012
Josh I have that very same problem. I hope it's that outside speed sensor. As the car slows for whatever reason, it jerks then sticks in first gear. I have to stop and shut the motor off for a few. Starts up and runs fine until some other slow down time. Very frustrating. thanks for the info here. I'll try the replace sensor fix. If not that you can look for me and the car in Craigs list.
RENEA

Decatur, AL

#26 Jan 26, 2013
I HAVE A 2002 CHRYSLER300M,ABOUT A MONTH AGO JUST EVERY WEEK OR SO WHEN CAR WAS COLD TRANNY, DIDN'T WANT TO TAKE DRIVE OR REVERSE..BUT I COULD CUT CAR OFF AND TRY AGAIN AND IT WOULD WORK...YESTERDAY I WENT TO GO CRANK CAR AND IT WOULD NOT PULL..I SJUT OFF CAR AND TRIED THIS SEVERAL TIMES THREW OUT DAY AND IT STILL DID NOTHING ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Gen

Vista, CA

#27 Mar 21, 2013
I'm having this same type of problem - when the car is down-shifting it gets stuck in 2-gear at 40 miles an hour and wont move any faster. I took it to a expert transmission mechanic and he replaced the solenoid and the sensors. But the car is still having the same probelm $600 later. What can it be?
dan

Brookings, SD

#28 Aug 1, 2013
2002 forgot how many miles but the tranny leaks fluid and i think its the seal. Wondering what cost am i loomin at to fix
jay

Raynham, MA

#30 Nov 23, 2013
Hey i had same problem with my dodge neon and my 300m. nothing is wrong with you transmission all you need is a new tcm and all the proble will be gone.
gary

Terrell, TX

#31 Nov 30, 2013
My 2001 300m wont go into reverse will go into first but when i use the auto stick go to second gear it makes a thumping noise the noise wont stop unless i put it in park also it wont go into third or fourth at all
Matthew

United States

#32 Dec 6, 2013
gary wrote:
My 2001 300m wont go into reverse will go into first but when i use the auto stick go to second gear it makes a thumping noise the noise wont stop unless i put it in park also it wont go into third or fourth at all
Having similar tranny prob with my 2000 300M...have 1st, 2nd and reverse only. Tried and can't shift into higher gears using auto stick. 251,000 miles and engine runs great, will share anything I find out
baldstinky

United States

#33 Dec 16, 2013
I love my 300m but right now it's in time out. It drives ok and then it won't shift. I pull over and sit for about 10min and start to drive again and it's ok, and then it won't shift. Sometimes it will jerk into gear and I tried that Lucas stop slip but no luck. I heard that the sensors inside are magnetic and they could be blocked with metal fragments....don't know if I should junk it or what??
chad

United States

#34 Dec 23, 2013
I have a 2002 300m was driving down the highway and started spinning like it was in neutral and went into limp mode. Replaced the solenoid pack and does the same thing. Now it will go into 3rd but won't stay, any suggestions?
bergquarter

Miami, FL

#35 Mar 31, 2014
Had the same problem it was the output speed sensor connector.
Bluefish001

Coatesville, PA

#36 Apr 16, 2014
My Chrysler 300 M (2003) has developed transmission issue that doesn't appear to be duplicated in this particular forum or anywhere else that I can find. The problem is somewhat intermittent and only occurs when the temperature outside is above 55 to 60°. When the temperature is above this temperature the transmission will occasionally slip into limp in mode after a prolonged drive and you decelerate to a stop. It appears to be related to sustained driving in fourth gear and the transmission being unable to downshift. Proceeding the limp in mode the transmission will have an audible clunk sound. Oddly, turning the car off and turning it back on clears the limp in mode and the car is able to be driven again.

The dealership replaced the solenoid pack and the valve body a year and a half ago and the problem seemed to be gone for "of course the length of the warranty work" one year. But started acting up just before the winter season. I persevered assuming that I only had a few months of driving before the transmission gave out completely. But then the winter months set in and the transmission performed flawlessly for the 3 to 4 months of extreme cold.

I dropped the pan a day ago and there was no extreme issues to report. The fluids fine, no debris in the pan beyond the normal. I did discover however that one of the screws in the valve body had been stripped assumedly by the dealer when the valve body was replaced. I'm very suspicious that this may be the cause of the problem. But I'm hoping that maybe somebody has had a similar issue and can shed some light on this for me.
Charity

Chicago, IL

#37 May 22, 2014
Got a 2002 300m have had several problems with it. Battery, starter, transmission, pulley with belt, radiator, shifter cable, shifter. Engine light always on for something else now air bag light comes on and off.
Susanne

Fairfax, VA

#38 May 28, 2014
Dave wrote:
The problem with the 300m i have found is generally due to a solenoid pack abouve the valve body in the transmission.... it is not the transmission itself... the tranny goes into what is called limp mode where you have either 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 for gears or none at all.... when you are driving and this happens if you have an autostick pull it into that position and look at the dash if a box appears around all gears your tranny is in limp mode the part alone is around $256/us new and is is repairable with transmission in the car. you need to drop the valve body out to get it but it is there. you may not buy these solenoids individually they come as a pack and are unrepairable spend the money it is a relatively inexpensive fix dont get duped.
Mine is doing the exact same thing. When I had the transmission serviced at 102,000 miles they found water in the transmission fluid. I am being advised to replace the entire transmission for $3200 instead of just the valve body. What are your thoughts?
kwaljames

Elk Grove Village, IL

#39 Oct 1, 2014
Matthew,
Having exact same problem with my 2000 300M....have 1,2 and Reverse. When it tries to shift into 3rd, it doesnt catch and RPMs jump up. When it slows a little, 2nd gear catches and works. 253,500 miles and love this car. Will share anything I can find out.
Matthew wrote:
<quoted text>
Having similar tranny prob with my 2000 300M...have 1st, 2nd and reverse only. Tried and can't shift into higher gears using auto stick. 251,000 miles and engine runs great, will share anything I find out
frank

San Bernardino, CA

#40 Jan 2, 2015
My 2002 300 m has active code p0700
Indiarain

San Antonio, TX

#41 Apr 4, 2015
Dave wrote:
The problem with the 300m i have found is generally due to a solenoid pack abouve the valve body in the transmission.... it is not the transmission itself... the tranny goes into what is called limp mode where you have either 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 for gears or none at all.... when you are driving and this happens if you have an autostick pull it into that position and look at the dash if a box appears around all gears your tranny is in limp mode the part alone is around $256/us new and is is repairable with transmission in the car. you need to drop the valve body out to get it but it is there. you may not buy these solenoids individually they come as a pack and are unrepairable spend the money it is a relatively inexpensive fix dont get duped.
My 2003 300M is doing the same thing and when the gear thuds and downshifts into safely or limp mode the boxes appear around the gears. Am I looking to replace the automatic transmission control solenoid pack and a valve body for the transmission??? Please help me... Did you order mopar parts?!
chr3m

South El Monte, CA

#42 Jun 16, 2015
Will the a burnt out sealinode keep my transmission from running properly and if not then what else could it b? Thankyou
Chris

Dickson, TN

#43 Sep 7, 2015
My 2004 chrysler 300m is bucking really hard , but then continues to keeps going n won't do again for awhile. Why does it do this periodically like that? It seems that it just does it when it wants too. Is there something I can fix myself?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chrysler 300M Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Under hood fuse issue - Window, turn signals an... (Feb '10) Jan 12 Angel 9
Weird sound coming from 2003 300m engine Jan 11 Drummsonguitar 1
Ugly 300M front Nov '16 All 1
Radio problems Oct '16 Duke 1
Timing chain? (Feb '07) Oct '16 Curious 13
99 Chrysler 300m -No turn signals! (Jan '16) Sep '16 Wayne 3
Grinding during Shift/No Gears Sep '16 Stew 2
More from around the web