A Chrysler dealer's final pitch

A Chrysler dealer's final pitch

There are 71 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jun 8, 2009, titled A Chrysler dealer's final pitch. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

They've modified their sales pitch at Gregory Chrysler Jeep in Lake Villa. "You will get the absolute lowest prices available on all our remaining inventory!" the dealer says, and this is one time where you can probably believe the exclamation point.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
V L CARILLO

Boca Raton, FL

#2 Jun 8, 2009
chrysler, above all, and gm have both been victims of our economy, it's too bad so many people will be affected. and worse that import models will get the lion share of their lost business. i hope ford doesn't fall into the trap too, maybe they'll capture some of the others lost business. and maybe the government should stay out of the auto business.
Jay The Rehab Man

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Jun 9, 2009
Different pitch. Same salesman.
Clark Kent

Santa Clara, CA

#5 Jun 9, 2009
So if I read that right, basically consumers were getting fleeced at least 10k even on an invoice price?

And people wonder what the problem is
Hmm

Chicago, IL

#6 Jun 9, 2009
Support capitalism. Buy Ford.
Suzie

Maywood, IL

#7 Jun 9, 2009
Clark Kent - that's the most idiotic thing I have ever heard. Consumers weren't getting fleeced - this dealer is taking the hit on the prices. He was left high & dry by Chrysler & has no choice but to suffer the losses himself. If you had any idea what was being done to these dealers you would be outraged. Until then, keep your comments to yourself.
David in Camarillo

United States

#8 Jun 9, 2009
I still don't see the logic in closing dealerships. This will reduce competition causing prices to rise. The line about dealers costing the manufacturers money was refuted in testimony before congress last week.
Dude

Palo Alto, CA

#9 Jun 9, 2009
Until these companies can cut costs and bring the price of cars back down, I don't see a recovery for them. With wages coming down and unemployment going up, I don't see the average family spending 25k on the average car anymore. I'm not an expert, it just seems like common sense. We'll see what happens
KINGPIN

Libertyville, IL

#10 Jun 9, 2009

And I am a doofus

In case you can't tell

Since: Dec 07

DuPage County

#11 Jun 9, 2009
a piece of Chrysler junk that's $10K cheaper is still a piece of Chrysler junk.
cheech

Los Angeles, CA

#12 Jun 9, 2009
Had my Pacifica for 6 years and never a problem (knock on wood).
Wilbur

Sterling, IL

#13 Jun 9, 2009
David in Camarillo wrote:
I still don't see the logic in closing dealerships. This will reduce competition causing prices to rise. The line about dealers costing the manufacturers money was refuted in testimony before congress last week.
There is no logic in closing dealerships.
jhk

Dekalb, IL

#14 Jun 9, 2009
This story just shows how out of touch corporate is of what is really going on in the real world. If these corporations were at least in touch with reality a little more, things would be entirely different today.

Still, you can't compensate unions the way they've been for these past years and expect to be competitive. The unions are very much to blame for this. They honestly thought the the big 3 were too big for life to hit the union membership this way. Well....you can believe now....but it's too late. It'll never be like it was.
Pull My Third Leg

AOL

#15 Jun 9, 2009
Yeah, right and who - in anything like a right mind, would by a Chrysler product - any Chrysler product, today?
Despite being crap-o-la to begin with, the model will likely be discontinued - making parts unavailable, and goodness knows where to, or how far you'll have to travel to get it serviced {once they've cut their dealership numbers to the bone/to reflect the true [minimal] demand for their products}. Besides which, just wait until you experience the Fix It Again Tony 'service' from FIAT.
I'd rather strap a couple of rodents to a fly-wheel to get power assist on my child's trike than buy a Chrysler product; hey - I just described Chrysler's line of product offerings and didn't realize it for a moment.
Yep, rodent's making rodent powered/'quality' products for rodents.
It's time to give up on bankruptcy for Chrysler and to get rid of the receivers, and to call in the exterminators.
Dave

United States

#16 Jun 9, 2009
This is purely political, the dealers that are getting forced to close all donated money to Republicans, thats why this doesn't make sense to you. The car dealers buy their inventory from Chrysler so there is no reason that the dealers are forced to close. It has also been reported that one of Obozos cronies on his "auto taskforce" has a wife that is a major Democratic fundraiser.

http://directorblue.blogspot.com/2009/05/red-...
Anne L

Lincolnshire, IL

#17 Jun 9, 2009
I didn't like Chrysler cars when you had to pay full price and I still don't like them even though they are giving them away. Maybe if they had put engineering ahead of profit and fixed their problems they wouldn't be in trouble. Their cars are unreliable and they don't stand behind them.
Dave

Fishers, IN

#18 Jun 9, 2009
Yesterday I read that the average lexus dealership sells more than 1000 cars a year. compair that to the average cadillac dealership at less than 200 cars per year. now if each dealership has to make a certain amount of money to cover costs and turn a profit which one, cadillac or lexus, can make less per car because they sell more?
The cadillac dealership has to mark up their profit on each vehicle by more than 5x as much as the lexus dealership just to stay even. Can you now see how that would just add to the other competitive imbalances that already exist?
If cadillac sells the same amount of cars with fewer dealerships, the dealerships won't need to generate as much profit per car and hopefully that will be passed along to consumers.
Lucas

United States

#19 Jun 9, 2009
So let me understand this... is this the case of the vicious cycle?

Chrysler screwed the dealerships, the dealerships screwed consumers?

Because there is no doubt that the dealerships were making LOTS of money, just take a look at how the top management lives and what they drive and how arrogant then are...
Suzie wrote:
Clark Kent - that's the most idiotic thing I have ever heard. Consumers weren't getting fleeced - this dealer is taking the hit on the prices. He was left high & dry by Chrysler & has no choice but to suffer the losses himself. If you had any idea what was being done to these dealers you would be outraged. Until then, keep your comments to yourself.
Tex

Chicago, IL

#20 Jun 9, 2009
Suzie wrote:
I think the correlation he was making is that this dealer most or less admitted in the article that he was charging about $10K more on a vehicle than it actually cost him. Keep in mind that car dealers are in business to make a profit but it makes one wonder when they say week in and week out "we've got the absolute lowest prices" and this guy says that the price was actually $10K higher. Not sure if I tied that in completely or not.
iknowthatguy

Oak Brook, IL

#21 Jun 9, 2009
Dave in Chicago, what are you smoking?
Dave

Fishers, IN

#22 Jun 9, 2009
Dave wrote:
<quoted text>
This is purely political, the dealers that are getting forced to close all donated money to Republicans, thats why this doesn't make sense to you. The car dealers buy their inventory from Chrysler so there is no reason that the dealers are forced to close. It has also been reported that one of Obozos cronies on his "auto taskforce" has a wife that is a major Democratic fundraiser.
http://directorblue.blogspot.com/2009/05/red-...
you don't get it. first 90% of all dealerships campaign money went to republicans. So it should come as no suprise that 90% of closing dealerships would be republican.
second read my earlier post. The more cars a dealership sells the less money it has to make on each one. If you are able to sell at a lower cost maybe you can sell more. simple economics.
I doubt the talking heads that inform you of your opinions mentioned that, or that you are able to think on your own and come up with that by yourself.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chrysler 300 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dodge Charger, Jeep Cherokee, Chrysler 300 reca... Jun 29 mrk 2
News FCA to recall 1.1 million vehicles for confusin... Apr '16 who 1
News Fiat Chrysler's recall, Toyota's earthquake woe... Apr '16 more of 1
News Fiat Chrysler recalling more than 1.1 million v... Apr '16 fred 4
Check Engine Light on for 3 days (Apr '06) Apr '16 Msdnicety 117
Chrysler 300 Climate Control Light not working (Jan '08) Mar '16 Merry 63
Chrysler 300c Stalls (Oct '07) Mar '16 Elliott 1 162
More from around the web