Chrysler 300c Stalls
Dodge Man

Granby, MO

#126 Mar 8, 2014
Maria wrote:
I have a 2005 Chrysler 300 cc with about 109k miles all highway.
Two problems I have
1- it eats up engine oil somehow, no smoke, no leaks and runs like a champ. Changed the PVC valve but still uses engine oil say about a quart a month. Dealer could not find a problem.
2- recently happened few times while stopped at a red light I felt bumped, looked behind me and no one there and sometimes while stopped with foot on brakes car shook a bit as if it was going to stall but never did.
Any ideas what can be causing this?
One mechanic suggested I check the brakes ??
Another suggested to look into transmission??
First problem, simply because you observe no obvious smoke, doesn't mean the engine isn't burning oil. If you can see that much smoke, your engine is definitely worn out!

Given the mileage on the engine, the valve covers are probably seeping, but not enough to be obvious to the inexperienced observer. The valve guides & seals are also worn enough to allow oil to be drawn into the cylinders. Again, not enough to be seen normally. You may observe some gray smoke immediately on start-up. This dissipates quickly, but it is indication oil is leaking into the combustion chambers.

I will qualify the above information by stating, you failed to provide information on your monthly mileage, or how many miles you drive between oil changes. You only said the miles are highway miles. Any engine, even new ones, burn some oil. It's a machine, after all. An engine using a quart between NORMAL oil changes is not a indication of major problems in the engine. It all depend on the amount of heat generated during a particular operating period.

Unless you can find a reputable mechanic, that can ask you what your driving habits are, and you can provide him with the answers, a solid diagnosis cannot be made to determine if your engine is using oil excessively. It's a bit like going to your doctor.

If you want to determine if you have an issue with the oil usage, record the mileages and dates at which you change and add oil to the crankcase. Do that for at least 2 oil changes. Oil changes should be done every 3 thousand miles, or 3 months, whichever comes first. If you add oil between changes, add the exact same oil that was used at the last oil change.

NEVER MIX OILS WITH DIFFERENT MANUFACTURES!

You can use any oil, from any manufacturer,as long as it is the correct type recommended by Chrysler for your engine, AT OIL CHANGE! NOT BETWEEN!

The second issue, I can't provide a diagnosis given the information you provide. I'm sorry. I can only speculate, and that will not help you.

I would suggest you have the fuel filter changed, if it hasn't been done in the last 50,000 miles. Could easily be the problem!
Dodge Man

Granby, MO

#127 Mar 8, 2014
Betty wrote:
I have a 2006 Chrysler 300 5.7 hemi.. My car is in the shop it's been out on diagnostic machine, no code comes up to show that anything is wrong with it, after I fill up and this has happened twice. I get 300 ft from gas station and my car stalls at light. It wouldn't start. Not any noise came from the engine when trying to start it. I put my distress lites on called husband and he wasn't home, was going to have it towed but decided to give it one more try. It started right up and I'm only a mile away from home, on the way home it surged and stalled twice more, anyway I got it home and there going to check my to see if my capping off tank caused the prob. Or I've been researching this prob and it could be cam sensor or crankshaft senso. Sometimes if this year has this prob I'm told when put on diagnostic machine the code doesn't show up. I hope it isn't exspensive. I've had no prob with my car till now. Love my 300:)
If you are at a Chrysler dealer shop, they should know what the problem is, and it's been discussed here dozens of times.

There is no fix yet for this malfunction. Until then, do not fill the tank on any Chrysler vehicle with this issue. By filling the tank, I suggest you don't allow the dispensing nozzle to shut off by itself.

Here is a suggestion that I use on my own vehicle, a 2006 Dodge Magnum with 5.7 HEMI. It has a 19 gallon tank on it (find the capacity in your owners manual). EXAMPLE: at a half tank I need 9.5 gallons to fill the tank. As you replenish your fuel, keep your hand on the nozzle and stop dispensing at 7 to 8 gallons. NO MORE! You should no longer experience the stalling. It takes a small amount of calculation on your part, but it will work.

The Magnum, 300, and Chargers are from the same platform and share the same fuel systems. I won't go into what is happening here because it is technical.

If you want to want to do an experiment, fill the tank as you normally would, start the engine and start the stopwatch function on your IPhone (or something equivelant). The engine will stall at some point after 20 seconds. The time varies among vehicles, but it will do it consistently, at the same elapsed time. The process can happen one to four times. It depends on how much raw fuel gets into the fuel vent line from the overfill.
audrey

Dayton, OH

#128 Mar 18, 2014
Sheila wrote:
<quoted text>
Please post a solutions to the stalling issue mentioned above
I had same problem. After taking it in a couple of times and hooking up to do diagnosis test I was told it was the EGR plug, so I pd to replace it, which wasn't cheap! That wasn't the problem. I took it back in and they of course had to run test again. Then they told me I needed to replace my gas tank. The fuel filter sits inside top of tank and the only way they can fix it is to replace the gas tank. I was told I was over filling my tank and the fuel filter wasn't taking out vapors. That cost. me about $1700.00 . Before that I had coolant tubes rust out in which I needed to replace and have radiator flushed, and if I didn't they wouldn't be responsible for radiator.
I have continued to have problems with car. Engine light has been going off and on. Now the electronic light is coming on and off. I have noticed the temperture in car is not going up when the red electronic light comes on.
audrey

Dayton, OH

#129 Mar 18, 2014
Dodge Man wrote:
<quoted text>
First problem, simply because you observe no obvious smoke, doesn't mean the engine isn't burning oil. If you can see that much smoke, your engine is definitely worn out!
Given the mileage on the engine, the valve covers are probably seeping, but not enough to be obvious to the inexperienced observer. The valve guides & seals are also worn enough to allow oil to be drawn into the cylinders. Again, not enough to be seen normally. You may observe some gray smoke immediately on start-up. This dissipates quickly, but it is indication oil is leaking into the combustion chambers.
I will qualify the above information by stating, you failed to provide information on your monthly mileage, or how many miles you drive between oil changes. You only said the miles are highway miles. Any engine, even new ones, burn some oil. It's a machine, after all. An engine using a quart between NORMAL oil changes is not a indication of major problems in the engine. It all depend on the amount of heat generated during a particular operating period.
Unless you can find a reputable mechanic, that can ask you what your driving habits are, and you can provide him with the answers, a solid diagnosis cannot be made to determine if your engine is using oil excessively. It's a bit like going to your doctor.
If you want to determine if you have an issue with the oil usage, record the mileages and dates at which you change and add oil to the crankcase. Do that for at least 2 oil changes. Oil changes should be done every 3 thousand miles, or 3 months, whichever comes first. If you add oil between changes, add the exact same oil that was used at the last oil change.
You can use any oil, from any manufacturer,as long as it is the correct type recommended by Chrysler for your engine, AT OIL CHANGE! NOT BETWEEN!
The second issue, I can't provide a diagnosis given the information you provide. I'm sorry. I can only speculate, and that will not help you.
I would suggest you have the fuel filter changed, if it hasn't been done in the last 50,000 miles. Could easily be the problem!
Problem is fuel filter is in gas tank , so the only way you can change is replace gas tank!
audrey

Dayton, OH

#130 Mar 18, 2014
Dodge Man wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are at a Chrysler dealer shop, they should know what the problem is, and it's been discussed here dozens of times.
There is no fix yet for this malfunction. Until then, do not fill the tank on any Chrysler vehicle with this issue. By filling the tank, I suggest you don't allow the dispensing nozzle to shut off by itself.
Here is a suggestion that I use on my own vehicle, a 2006 Dodge Magnum with 5.7 HEMI. It has a 19 gallon tank on it (find the capacity in your owners manual). EXAMPLE: at a half tank I need 9.5 gallons to fill the tank. As you replenish your fuel, keep your hand on the nozzle and stop dispensing at 7 to 8 gallons. NO MORE! You should no longer experience the stalling. It takes a small amount of calculation on your part, but it will work.
The Magnum, 300, and Chargers are from the same platform and share the same fuel systems. I won't go into what is happening here because it is technical.
If you want to want to do an experiment, fill the tank as you normally would, start the engine and start the stopwatch function on your IPhone (or something equivelant). The engine will stall at some point after 20 seconds. The time varies among vehicles, but it will do it consistently, at the same elapsed time. The process can happen one to four times. It depends on how much raw fuel gets into the fuel vent line from the overfill.
That should definitly be a recall...I have never had to go into a gas station and only fill tank 1/2 to 3/4 full. Really???
audrey

Dayton, OH

#131 Mar 18, 2014
Elliot wrote:
My 300c is having a stalling problem. When this occurs the voltage light starts blinking and the esp off light comes on. They stay on until I restart the car. Also sometimes when it stalls the engine light comes on and stays on for a day or two. This is happenning once to three time a day, but not every day. I took the car to Chrysler and of course it ran fine when they had it. They also told me that there was no record of any errors on the computer. Any thoughts?
Thats what I was told to, when I took it back they told me it was cheaper to change EGR plug than gas tank. So they figured they would do that before replacing gas tank, because of the fuel canister that sits on the top inside of gas tank.(not a separate piece....have to replace entire gas tank!). Not a cheap fix!
audrey

Dayton, OH

#132 Mar 18, 2014
audrey wrote:
<quoted text>
I had same problem. After taking it in a couple of times and hooking up to do diagnosis test I was told it was the EGR plug, so I pd to replace it, which wasn't cheap! That wasn't the problem. I took it back in and they of course had to run test again. Then they told me I needed to replace my gas tank. The fuel filter sits inside top of tank and the only way they can fix it is to replace the gas tank. I was told I was over filling my tank and the fuel filter wasn't taking out vapors. That cost. me about $1700.00 . Before that I had coolant tubes rust out in which I needed to replace and have radiator flushed, and if I didn't they wouldn't be responsible for radiator.
I have continued to have problems with car. Engine light has been going off and on. Now the electronic light is coming on and off. I have noticed the temperture in car is not going up when the red electronic light comes on.
STALLING PROBLEM is the canister that is in the fuel tank. It is not taking out gas vapors! Gas rank needs replaced. They told me I was filling gas tank to full. After filling tank it would stall on me. After car sat over night and fumes had dissapated car would start.
audrey

Dayton, OH

#133 Mar 18, 2014
Dodge Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Mine was a valve, did the same thing! Mine got so bad it felt like it was jumping up and down!
Dodge Man

Granby, MO

#134 Mar 27, 2014
audrey wrote:
<quoted text>Problem is fuel filter is in gas tank , so the only way you can change is replace gas tank!
The fuel filter isn't in the fuel tank. It's mounted along the frame rail. My post never mentions the fuel filter.
Dodge Man

Granby, MO

#135 Mar 27, 2014
audrey wrote:
<quoted text>That should definitly be a recall...I have never had to go into a gas station and only fill tank 1/2 to 3/4 full. Really???
It's not a safety issue, ergo, no recalls. However, since my post in this subject, Chrysler and the NTSB have come to an agreement regarding this issue this past February. You can find the article here among the dodge and Chrysler topics. Basically, the fuel systems on Chrysler's and dodges that have HEMI engines and the 19 gallon fuel tanks have been given lifetime warranties. Dealerships haven't been notified yet, but you need to contact a local dealership, and keep in contact because Chrysler will not notify the owners! The onus is on you to seek satisfaction.
Dodge Man

Granby, MO

#136 Mar 27, 2014
audrey wrote:
<quoted text>STALLING PROBLEM is the canister that is in the fuel tank. It is not taking out gas vapors! Gas rank needs replaced. They told me I was filling gas tank to full. After filling tank it would stall on me. After car sat over night and fumes had dissapated car would start.
The canister is not the problem! And it isn't in the fuel tank!
Dodge Man

Granby, MO

#137 Mar 27, 2014
audrey wrote:
<quoted text>That should definitly be a recall...I have never had to go into a gas station and only fill tank 1/2 to 3/4 full. Really???
Again, recalls are only done for safety related issues. Not for something that is inconvenient for you.

I simply offered this information to help ease the stalling issue. If you find the process too difficult to execute, then continue to deal with the stalling.

Again, Chrysler has come to an agreement with the NTSB essentially providing a lifetime warranty on the 19 gallon fuel tank systems supplied in HEMI equipped vehicles.

Do some research on this and take advantage of this repair when it becomes available!
Dodge Man

Granby, MO

#138 Mar 27, 2014
audrey wrote:
<quoted text>Thats what I was told to, when I took it back they told me it was cheaper to change EGR plug than gas tank. So they figured they would do that before replacing gas tank, because of the fuel canister that sits on the top inside of gas tank.(not a separate piece....have to replace entire gas tank!). Not a cheap fix!
The EGR (exhaust gas recirculating valve) is A VALVE! Not a plug. It's mounted on the intake manifold! Yours should have never been replaced! It had nothing to do with your stalling issue! Demand your money back!
Jackie D

Livingston, NJ

#139 May 16, 2014
I have a 2006 Chrysler 300. It stalls while driving. Usually if you turn it off and back on it starts, the problem is getting worst and more frequent
Richard S

Fort Wayne, IN

#140 May 19, 2014
I have had the same issue with my 300c stalling out after fill up. Tomorrow Chrysler is replaceing my fuel tank at no charge. They did in fact extend the warranties on the fuel tank to life time.
Dodge Man

Granby, MO

#141 May 20, 2014
Richard S wrote:
I have had the same issue with my 300c stalling out after fill up. Tomorrow Chrysler is replaceing my fuel tank at no charge. They did in fact extend the warranties on the fuel tank to life time.
Okay, for all those who continue to struggle with the stalling problem.

Just received a letter from Chrysler today explaining the issue. The the problem exists only with 2005 to 2006 Chrysler 300's, Dodge Magnums, and Dodge Chargers equipped with the HEMI and a 19 gallon capacity fuel tank. It seems the fuel tank check valve swells when exposed to ethanol blended fuels and allows raw fuel to be purged into the intake manifold and causes a flooding issue.

You should be receiving the same letter as well. They will repair your fuel system under and extended three year warranty program. They will also reimburse you for prior attempts to correct the issue if you have receipts.

If your vehicle is not equipped as described above, you have a completely different issue.
Deundra P

Birmingham, AL

#143 Jun 7, 2014
i have a 2006 chrsyler 300c. the vehicle will start up and run for a minute or two ,then shut off.It will start right back up and do the same things. I took it to the dealership and there system said is was my tipm module.which they wanted to charge me 1200 dollars to replace, i said no.I purchased the part from the dealership for 459.00, had it installed , car still doing the same thing, so obviously thats not the problem .Please help, im constantly spending money ,no check engine light on and no codes are showing up
Dodge Man

Granby, MO

#145 Jun 16, 2014
Deundra P wrote:
i have a 2006 chrsyler 300c. the vehicle will start up and run for a minute or two ,then shut off.It will start right back up and do the same things. I took it to the dealership and there system said is was my tipm module.which they wanted to charge me 1200 dollars to replace, i said no.I purchased the part from the dealership for 459.00, had it installed , car still doing the same thing, so obviously thats not the problem .Please help, im constantly spending money ,no check engine light on and no codes are showing up
If there is no check engine light on, and no codes, how did the dealership determine the part you replaced was malfunctioning? You should have let them install the part with the stipulation that you will only pay IF the recommended repair works. That discourages shops from throwing parts at a problem! Now you have no recourse.

Now, your issue lie the fuel system. Has your fuel filter ever been replaced? The symptom you describe sounds as if the fuel is available when you start the engine, but due to a clogged filter, the pressure drops after you start the engine because the fuel pump cannot push the fuel fast enough through the clogged filter to keep the engine supplied. Since you can start the engine again, and the process repeats, the fuel filter is not fully clogged.

There is another phenomenon the occurs with filters. They can deteriorate to the point they start to disintegrate! In this instance the particles will collect at the exit of the filter and plug the opening while under pressure. When the engine stalls, the pressure is relieved, the particles relax, and clear away from the exit of the filter. When you start the engine again the process starts over.

Always replace filters, and fluids where applicable, at recommended intervals. FILTERS DETERIORATE! Fuel filters are rarely ever thought of, but they are supposed to be replaced at a specific mileage, and/or time period. Cheap insurance!
Morrison

Lagos, Nigeria

#146 Jun 17, 2014
Dodge man do you have a solution to solve my car fault?i have visited several automobile workshop but all to no avail.
DAVE

North Port, FL

#147 Jul 5, 2014
I HAVE A 300C WHEN I STARTED IT THE LIGHTING BOLT LIGHT CUT ON IN IT WOULD,NT GO OVER 10 MILES PER. HR.I TURNED IT OFF AND STARTED AGAIN AND IT RUN FINE ANYONE ELSE HAVE THAT PROBLEM?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chrysler 300 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dodge Charger, Jeep Cherokee, Chrysler 300 reca... Jun '16 mrk 2
News FCA to recall 1.1 million vehicles for confusin... Apr '16 who 1
News Fiat Chrysler's recall, Toyota's earthquake woe... Apr '16 more of 1
News Fiat Chrysler recalling more than 1.1 million v... Apr '16 fred 4
Check Engine Light on for 3 days (Apr '06) Apr '16 Msdnicety 117
Chrysler 300 Climate Control Light not working (Jan '08) Mar '16 Merry 63
News Regulators turn up heat over Fiat Chrysler roll... Feb '16 by golly 4
More from around the web