Chrysler 300c Stalls
Bill Szydlowski

Riverview, FL

#84 Mar 7, 2013
I purchased a 2005 300C used. It now has 88,600+ miles on it. I do not overfill the tank. Recently it has developed a problem. During acceleration, either from a full stop or changing lanes, the car starts "bucking" then quits, like it has a problem shifting. the engine light begins flashing and the ABS/ESP light comes on. I pull over, shut the car off and turn it on again. the ABS/ESP light goes off but the engine light remains on and has continuesly stayed on. I have noticed that if I manually turn off the ESP on start up, this shifting/bucking problem happens minimally. The transmission oil is fine. any thoughts?? Since the shifting is electonic could there be a bad board or is the computer having an issue?? Two other strange things have occurred, one being the radio lost about half of its' preset channels and the sun roof would not function correctly. I have not disconnected the battery, which is newer.
any thoughts on this issue??
Dodge Man

Granby, MO

#85 Mar 7, 2013
Bill Szydlowski wrote:
I purchased a 2005 300C used. It now has 88,600+ miles on it. I do not overfill the tank. Recently it has developed a problem. During acceleration, either from a full stop or changing lanes, the car starts "bucking" then quits, like it has a problem shifting. the engine light begins flashing and the ABS/ESP light comes on. I pull over, shut the car off and turn it on again. the ABS/ESP light goes off but the engine light remains on and has continuesly stayed on. I have noticed that if I manually turn off the ESP on start up, this shifting/bucking problem happens minimally. The transmission oil is fine. any thoughts?? Since the shifting is electonic could there be a bad board or is the computer having an issue?? Two other strange things have occurred, one being the radio lost about half of its' preset channels and the sun roof would not function correctly. I have not disconnected the battery, which is newer.
You need to find out what codes are stored. That's what the engine light is telling you. You have a malfunction one of the control modules cannot resolve. Take it to a qualified shop and get it diagnosed.
Rob M

South Amboy, NJ

#86 Mar 10, 2013
I tried everything on my stalling 2006 300c (the famous lightning bolt esp transmission bucking everyone is talking about)....for whatever reason i decided to check the engine oil the other day....it was 2 quarts down, so filled it.... Its been 3 days and 4 hours of drive time and it hasnt stalled....before it would stall within 30 minutes. Has Anyone noticed their oil is low and filled it and solved the problem? I'm suppose to trade it in this week, but i'm wondering if this has possibly solved the stalling? Anyone have a story? Thanks
Cathy

United States

#87 Mar 22, 2013
2006 300 Hemi: 1/4 tank gas, died at red light. Waited 20 min in rush hour traffic for help. Pushed off road for safety. Tried to crank car and it spit & sputtered then died again. Being towed to dealer. Smelled oil, no leaks, adequate oil level. Never read hot. No dash lights. No previous problems. Mystery. Any ideas?
Dodge Man

United States

#88 Mar 23, 2013
Bill Szydlowski wrote:
You have an "engine" light continuously on, and you are still driving the vehicle. I can assure you, your problem isn't related to what this thread primarily discusses because the MIL (engine light) never presents in these scenarios.

I will advise you to discontinue operation of the vehicle until you have it diagnosed by a qualified shop. Any further operation will probably result in more damage to the system(s) affected by the malfunction. The MIL is on for a reason! To alert you to a problem requiring a repair. Each one of the issues you mention probably as a code stored for it. DO NOT DISCONNECT THE BATTERY! It doesn't correct anything, but it does delete the codes. Doesn't matter, they come back.
Dodge Man

United States

#89 Mar 23, 2013
Cathy wrote:
2006 300 Hemi: 1/4 tank gas, died at red light. Waited 20 min in rush hour traffic for help. Pushed off road for safety. Tried to crank car and it spit & sputtered then died again. Being towed to dealer. Smelled oil, no leaks, adequate oil level. Never read hot. No dash lights. No previous problems. Mystery. Any ideas?
With the small amount of information provided, you may simply have a failed fuel pump, or a clogged fuel filter. The only way to know for sure is to have the pressure in the fuel system checked. Shear conjecture on my part. Please take it to a qualified shop and get it checked out properly.
Dodge Man

United States

#90 Mar 23, 2013
Andy wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks Dodgeman!
To everyone having this problem with stalling after filling up, with no " engine" light presenting.

Very simply, it is a problem in the venting of the fuel system. Bottom line, it's common with all the vehicles based on the Chrysler 300. These include the Magnum, Charger, and Challenger.

I have a '06 Magnum that I bought used with 34,000 miles and it started this about a year after I purchased it. The local Chrysler service manager advised me to replace the vapor canister and see if that cured the issue. I did just that and it cured the problem for another year. It started up again. It gets worse the longer it's allowed to go on.

I'm getting ready to replace the fuel tank I called the dealer to inquire about the cost and availability. I'll install it myself, the tank costs $890.00, plus tax. Here's the interesting part. They have one in stock! He says there are two more in their warehouse! Fuel tanks are not something that are considered a "normal" stock item for any dealership!
That should speak volumes. This is a frequent enough problem for a dealership to keep the tanks in stock. The fix isn't cheap, but it is the only fix!!!

One of the primary reasons this problem exists is due to OVERFILLING the gas tank. This can happen simply because a fuel hose you used, at some time in the past, simply didn't shut off correctly at one time. It may have happened quite a few times. It seems this fuel system doesn't tolerate that happening. The owner's manual warns against overfilling the tank by continuing to fill, or "top off" the tank.

I never "top off" my fuel tank, on any vehicle. But, I buy my vehicles used, and I'm the second owner of this Magnum. I don't know what the previous owner did to it. All I can do is fix the problem and move on. Good luck to the rest of you with your vehicles.
Bill Szydlowski

Riverview, FL

#91 Mar 24, 2013
Dodge Man wrote:
<quoted text>
You have an "engine" light continuously on, and you are still driving the vehicle. I can assure you, your problem isn't related to what this thread primarily discusses because the MIL (engine light) never presents in these scenarios.
I will advise you to discontinue operation of the vehicle until you have it diagnosed by a qualified shop. Any further operation will probably result in more damage to the system(s) affected by the malfunction. The MIL is on for a reason! To alert you to a problem requiring a repair. Each one of the issues you mention probably as a code stored for it. DO NOT DISCONNECT THE BATTERY! It doesn't correct anything, but it does delete the codes. Doesn't matter, they come back.
It does go away and there are no codes stored in the computer. It will drive okay for a while, then it will either 'buck' or stop at a light. No lights go on and If one does, it is the ESP/ABS light with the engine light. turning off the ignition, turns off the ESP/ABS light and usually turns off the engine light after the 2nd time. No codes are left behind to point towards an issue. I do not overfill the tank and do not use the horsepower the car has for fear of starting it to buck and cause the lights to go on. I have been asking around for a good mechanic at a Chrysler dealership, but have had no luck, yet.
Dodge Man

Granby, MO

#92 Mar 26, 2013
Bill Szydlowski wrote:
<quoted text>It does go away and there are no codes stored in the computer. It will drive okay for a while, then it will either 'buck' or stop at a light. No lights go on and If one does, it is the ESP/ABS light with the engine light. turning off the ignition, turns off the ESP/ABS light and usually turns off the engine light after the 2nd time. No codes are left behind to point towards an issue. I do not overfill the tank and do not use the horsepower the car has for fear of starting it to buck and cause the lights to go on. I have been asking around for a good mechanic at a Chrysler dealership, but have had no luck, yet.
Okay, glad you cleared that up. You have the same issue with the fuel system. You'll need to replace the fuel tank and the vapor canister to fix the issue. Do yo see anyone with a 300 built after 2009 with this issue posting here? Chrysler probably fixed the problem at some point.
Connecticut Resident

New Milford, CT

#93 Mar 26, 2013
Dodge Man, Thank you SO much for this information! I had simply Googled "Chrysler Stall Fuel" and found this thread. I've got a 2004 Town & Country Minivan and see a bunch if us with T&C's, Caravans, and the like (Dodge, Plymouth, Chrysler) ALL having this problem. And yes, this appears to only happen to those of us with "older" models.:(
Freeman

Vinton, VA

#94 Apr 27, 2013
I am pissed we bail them out ...thats Chrysler and they won't put a bulletinout or recall in regards to this problem. I own a 2005 Chrysler 300 C also. its very dangerous when you fill up your car you drive off into traffic and it stalls on you. so much for reliable. If anybody has any hardcore evidence please let me know as soon as possible. I will continuously pursuing this until we as a people can get to the bottom of it. my car has less than 50,000 miles on it and Suttle Cadillac told me I should have bought a Cadillac talk about a slap in the face or customer service. oh and by the way Chrysler Motor Company or shall I say Dyimler Chrysler is in owning up today to there obligations either.
JBE

Saint Peters, MO

#95 Apr 30, 2013
After reading all the posts I realize that I need a new tank in my '07 T&C. I am curious as to whether not replacing the tank will cause further problems or will I just continue to experience the stalling after I fill the tank? The stalling has been going on for a few months but tonight I experienced the surge for the first time.
Jelloats

Perryton, TX

#96 May 1, 2013
My 2005 300C stalled repeatedly after refueling. I replaced my fuel tank and vapor canister with parts from a salvage yard. The tank cost $110 and the canister was $20. So far they work perfect and have fixed the stalling problem (I've put on about 2,ooo miles). I think overfilling the fuel tank was what caused my problem.
SRT Stallin in style

United States

#97 May 16, 2013
http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2013/chrysl...
Here you go. They are finally looking into the issue. For everyone who is commenting and has no clue what the problem actually is besides, "bad gas tanks", please stop commenting. The issue is known to be a bad/faulty rollover/check valve which was graciously placed inside of our gas tanks. That makes them non servicable and impossible to fix unless you replace the whole tank. Now, my 2008 charger srt8 has done this before as well and was never overfilled. Hell, i rarely oven put a full tank of gas. The recall should be coming soon and its about time I say.
Dodge Man

United States

#98 May 17, 2013
SRT Stallin in style wrote:
http://www.carcomplaints.com/n ews/2013/chrysler-300c-dodge-c harger-and-dodge-magnum-invest igation.shtml
Here you go. They are finally looking into the issue. For everyone who is commenting and has no clue what the problem actually is besides, "bad gas tanks", please stop commenting. The issue is known to be a bad/faulty rollover/check valve which was graciously placed inside of our gas tanks. That makes them non servicable and impossible to fix unless you replace the whole tank. Now, my 2008 charger srt8 has done this before as well and was never overfilled. Hell, i rarely oven put a full tank of gas. The recall should be coming soon and its about time I say.
Hey, DA! Read your own post! THE GAS TANK HAS TO BE REPLACED BECAUSE THE PROBLEM IS INSIDE THE GAS TANK!!! You moron! It doesn't make any difference that its the "roll-over check-valve". It's not serviceable!

However, thanks for the information. I was about to pull the fuel tank, replace it, and cut the old one open to see for myself what was causing the problem. Now I'll wait and see if there is a recall. It's not that great of an issue for me. I can deal with it for a little while longer.
Dennis

Hollywood, FL

#100 May 22, 2013
My 2006 300C also stall right after fueling up... The dealer has to know what's up this is maybe its a tactic to run the invoice up
Mary Corey

Lithonia, GA

#101 Jul 29, 2013
In May I had fuel injection cleaned because I was told it was very dirty. Immediately after my check engine light would come on & the car would stall out. I called the service center & they told me that because mine was so dirty that some of the debris may be in the exhaust pipes but that it should burn away & the problem go away. It did eventually stop doing this but now every time I fill up my car with gas it stalls out several times but the check engine light doesn't come on. Is this related to having the fuel injection cleaned or is it a totally different problem?
Bill Szydlowski

Riverview, FL

#102 Jul 29, 2013
Elliot wrote:
My 300c is having a stalling problem. When this occurs the voltage light starts blinking and the esp off light comes on. They stay on until I restart the car. Also sometimes when it stalls the engine light comes on and stays on for a day or two. This is happenning once to three time a day, but not every day. I took the car to Chrysler and of course it ran fine when they had it. They also told me that there was no record of any errors on the computer. Any thoughts?
it is the crankshaft sensor, that is located on the bell housing by the fire wall. It monitors the flywheel so that the computer knows what cylinders are firing. the engine shuts off because it it not getting a signal from the sensor. Your mechanic can only reach it from the bottom. He will need to take the starter out in order to get at it easily. It is a $29 part that causes so much trouble.
SYLVIA PHILIPS MIAMI FL

Miami, FL

#103 Jul 30, 2013
I have a 2006 300c hemi shuts off at the light,been to the shop 4 times can't find nothing wrong.they never told me about the gas tank.
Mary Corey

Lithonia, GA

#104 Jul 30, 2013
SYLVIA PHILIPS MIAMI FL wrote:
I have a 2006 300c hemi shuts off at the light,been to the shop 4 times can't find nothing wrong.they never told me about the gas tank.
I did some online research & it appears that it could very well be a gas tank problem as quite a few folks have this problem. Does yours shut off after you put gas in the car?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chrysler 300 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dodge Charger, Jeep Cherokee, Chrysler 300 reca... May '16 gm guy 1
News FCA to recall 1.1 million vehicles for confusin... Apr '16 who 1
News Fiat Chrysler's recall, Toyota's earthquake woe... Apr '16 more of 1
News Fiat Chrysler recalling more than 1.1 million v... Apr '16 fred 4
Check Engine Light on for 3 days (Apr '06) Apr '16 Msdnicety 117
Chrysler 300 Climate Control Light not working (Jan '08) Mar '16 Merry 63
News Regulators turn up heat over Fiat Chrysler roll... Feb '16 by golly 4
More from around the web