Chrysler 300c Stalls
ms-hill

Washington, DC

#45 Jun 30, 2012
I have a 2007 300....On Sunday it wouldn't Start I had to get a Jump Monday In which a few hours later the car wouldn't Start i needed another jump...So after 3xs in 1 day the Car worked fine on Tuesday in which I was able to drive the entire day with no problems Once again Wednesday the car wouldn't start....My engine light has been coming on & off more often...the 2 codes were p406..&..p0301...My trunk has also been broke for awhile so that censor along with the trunk light stayed on...& although the light bulb was taken out the fuse wasn't so of course power was still running...I have never had this problem except when the battery to the remote went out and i had to open the door with the key..but when i would start it cut right off as if it was in theft mode...but it's almost a week my car stalls to start but it just Wont Complety Start & it makes a SINgle click Sound i need suggestions DODGE MAN HELP...
ms-hill

Washington, DC

#46 Jun 30, 2012
Dodge Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I do know what I'm talking about. Your post doesn't disprove anything I said. You indicate you bought the vehicle 5 years ago. If my arithmetic is correct, this vehicle had previous owner for up to two years! You do not know whether the previous owner obeyed the law, perhaps the car was not in Oregon for all of those 2 years!
You never indicate what you've done to correct the deficiency. I really don't care what other forums there are discussing this issue. If this were really an issue, Chrysler would have issued a recall. So far, that is not the case.
If you are really concerned about your safety, why have you not taken this vehicle to a reputable repair shop and gotten it fixed?
BTW, have you ever changed the batteries in your remote controls? Known to cause almost the same issues. The manufacturer recommends replacing the batteries every 2 years, so you should have changed them when you bought the vehicle.
Getting a little dramatic with the "almost lost control" statement. It's difficult to lose control when the vehicle has fail-safe's built in for those situations. That is, of course, you are ignorant of this feature.
My post is intended to provide information for you to do with what you will. Bottom line, get the vehicle fixed.

Please help I have a detailed description of my car issues & I replaced the battery today but as I try to start the car it almost does but the engine won't turn over...
Dodge Man

United States

#47 Jun 30, 2012
ms-hill wrote:
I have a 2007 300....On Sunday it wouldn't Start I had to get a Jump Monday In which a few hours later the car wouldn't Start i needed another jump...So after 3xs in 1 day the Car worked fine on Tuesday in which I was able to drive the entire day with no problems Once again Wednesday the car wouldn't start....My engine light has been coming on & off more often...the 2 codes were p406..&..p0301...My trunk has also been broke for awhile so that censor along with the trunk light stayed on...& although the light bulb was taken out the fuse wasn't so of course power was still running...I have never had this problem except when the battery to the remote went out and i had to open the door with the key..but when i would start it cut right off as if it was in theft mode...but it's almost a week my car stalls to start but it just Wont Complety Start & it makes a SINgle click Sound i need suggestions DODGE MAN HELP...
You need to replace the battery in your vehicle and your remote. Failing batteries in a remote cause the anti- theft system to respond by keeping you from stating the vehicle. Replace remote batteries every two years, no matter what to avoid this problem.

For you, or anyone else, running your vehicles battery down to the point you need a "jump" means you should have put that battery on a 24 hour trickle charge to replenish the battery. Your alternator CANNOT fully charge a dead battery! Expecting it to do so will ultimately kill the alternator! Very expensive fix!

You don't have a current drain in a circuit if you remove the load! Leaving the fuse in the circuit doesn't drain the battery. A fuse is a safety device, nothing more.

The reason you are having a problem with your battery is, it may be getting weak, or your cables are corroded. At any rate, you need to have the battery properly charged and load tested. Clean your terminals as well. If the charging system and battery check out, then you need to start looking for a parasitic draw.

Let me know what happens.
ms-hill

Washington, DC

#48 Jul 1, 2012
Dodge Man wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to replace the battery in your vehicle and your remote. Failing batteries in a remote cause the anti- theft system to respond by keeping you from stating the vehicle. Replace remote batteries every two years, no matter what to avoid this problem.
For you, or anyone else, running your vehicles battery down to the point you need a "jump" means you should have put that battery on a 24 hour trickle charge to replenish the battery. Your alternator CANNOT fully charge a dead battery! Expecting it to do so will ultimately kill the alternator! Very expensive fix!
You don't have a current drain in a circuit if you remove the load! Leaving the fuse in the circuit doesn't drain the battery. A fuse is a safety device, nothing more.
The reason you are having a problem with your battery is, it may be getting weak, or your cables are corroded. At any rate, you need to have the battery properly charged and load tested. Clean your terminals as well. If the charging system and battery check out, then you need to start looking for a parasitic draw.
Let me know what happens.
..........Today
my mechanic was able to look @ everything & he said it seems as if the theft is activated...& this is b4 I read your post.....So what the car does is Starts & cuts Right Off...There is a signal that flashes its Red & looks like this )z(.....I did change the battery in the Remote & the car battery & of course I had to keep the battery I bought once it was installed.....Now I actually have had to replace my key battery 3xs in a year & 1/2 could this be the key that needs to be replaced because although i changed the batteries my trunk button stopped working...I must say i appreciate you very much for taking time out to Help me Thank You Soooo Much!
Dodge Man

United States

#49 Jul 1, 2012
ms-hill wrote:
<quoted text>..........Today
my mechanic was able to look @ everything & he said it seems as if the theft is activated...& this is b4 I read your post.....So what the car does is Starts & cuts Right Off...There is a signal that flashes its Red & looks like this )z(.....I did change the battery in the Remote & the car battery & of course I had to keep the battery I bought once it was installed.....Now I actually have had to replace my key battery 3xs in a year & 1/2 could this be the key that needs to be replaced because although i changed the batteries my trunk button stopped working...I must say i appreciate you very much for taking time out to Help me Thank You Soooo Much!
I think you may be on the right track in replacing the key, if the remote is built into it. Does your spare key, or remote work properly? If it is, your problem may be in the VCM.

It is difficult to diagnose an issue without actually working the problem first hand. I'm taking educated guesses based on information you provide. If any information I've provided helps, you are welcome. Good luck, and let me know what actually fixes the problem.
Dodge Man

United States

#50 Jul 1, 2012
ms-hill wrote:
The P codes are PCM codes. P0406 indicates a problem in the EGR sensor circuit. The P0301 indicates a cylinder 1 misfire. Both of these codes require extensive checks to diagnose what is actually causing the these codes to set. After studying the possible reasons for these two codes to set, I am concerned your starting issues could be related to a few of the possible causes setting these codes. I don't know how good your technician is, but these codes need to be corrected. Simply "clearing" them isn't the answer. The malfunction needs to be tracked down and resolved. Good luck.
ms-hill

Washington, DC

#51 Jul 1, 2012
Dodge Man wrote:
<quoted text>
The P codes are PCM codes. P0406 indicates a problem in the EGR sensor circuit. The P0301 indicates a cylinder 1 misfire. Both of these codes require extensive checks to diagnose what is actually causing the these codes to set. After studying the possible reasons for these two codes to set, I am concerned your starting issues could be related to a few of the possible causes setting these codes. I don't know how good your technician is, but these codes need to be corrected. Simply "clearing" them isn't the answer. The malfunction needs to be tracked down and resolved. Good luck.
.....Well you have gave me some insight on what needs to be done....After researching I found that light that is flashing that looks like a lighting bolt...is the Electric throttle System...which causes the car to start & cut off & engine light coming on....So of course I will have to take it to the dealer so they can scan for whatever is causing the problem....I appreciate your prompt feedback...I actually look forward to your Reply You seem to be the only person I talked to that has Knowledge & not going off what you Think..Thanks & I will let you know
Dodge Man

United States

#52 Jul 6, 2012
ms-hill wrote:
<quoted text>.....Well you have gave me some insight on what needs to be done....After researching I found that light that is flashing that looks like a lighting bolt...is the Electric throttle System...which causes the car to start & cut off & engine light coming on....So of course I will have to take it to the dealer so they can scan for whatever is causing the problem....I appreciate your prompt feedback...I actually look forward to your Reply You seem to be the only person I talked to that has Knowledge & not going off what you Think..Thanks & I will let you know
Please, I'd like to know what is causing your issues. I wish I could help you more, but it's difficult to diagnose any issue with vehicles when you can't actually put your hands on them. Good luck!
ms-hill

Washington, DC

#53 Jul 9, 2012
Dodge Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Please, I'd like to know what is causing your issues. I wish I could help you more, but it's difficult to diagnose any issue with vehicles when you can't actually put your hands on them. Good luck!
.....It was a plug that was out when I get there form I will specify which plug exactly....But once I did get the car back My airbag light was on then the oil & engine light came on...& as I drove it home my RPM was jumping faster then the speed...So the Dealership will get it back on Wednesday & Unfortunately my warranty is up & my insurance only covers if i need my car towed...Im praying its not the transmission
Linda

Rockwood, MI

#54 Sep 2, 2012
These comments are very helpful. My 300 was losing power and lights flashing. I had not driven the car in a year (it was just sitting). I thought it was some how connected with me letting it sit, but now I see this is a common 300 problem. Maybe the sitting exasperated the problem. A repair shop said my alternator was bad, so I replaced the alternator. It is still stalling. Now they want to "flash the computer". I refuse to keep writing checks for the guessing game. After reading these and other post, I am thinking that it may in fact be related to the fuel tank and that I probably did not need a new alternator. Not so sure flashing the computer will help. I was also told that they got 4 transmission related codes, and that I will probably have transmission problems soon. Anybody have any additional thoughts? Has anyone had their computer flashed?
Rob M

South Amboy, NJ

#55 Sep 18, 2012
Linda wrote:
These comments are very helpful. My 300 was losing power and lights flashing. I had not driven the car in a year (it was just sitting). I thought it was some how connected with me letting it sit, but now I see this is a common 300 problem. Maybe the sitting exasperated the problem. A repair shop said my alternator was bad, so I replaced the alternator. It is still stalling. Now they want to "flash the computer". I refuse to keep writing checks for the guessing game. After reading these and other post, I am thinking that it may in fact be related to the fuel tank and that I probably did not need a new alternator. Not so sure flashing the computer will help. I was also told that they got 4 transmission related codes, and that I will probably have transmission problems soon. Anybody have any additional thoughts? Has anyone had their computer flashed?
I had my computer flashed, changed all spark plugs, replaced the throttle body (if that's what it is really called) on the top front of the motor, replaced the crank sensor, took the charcoal canister out, by passed that whole system, drove the car without it in there and the problem still occurs identically ....still randomly stalls no matter how much gas in the tank. It's a 2006 300C hemi. I'm all done. I'm bailing on it and selling it cheap! You can be sure Chrysler knows which items to target and it's being ignored because of the expense and losses of a recall. There are thousands and thousands of posts on this issue, and the dealers claim you are insane or crazy. It's how large corporations operate because they can. I know cause I work for one of them. Basically cut your losses on this car and buy something else.:(
bob

United States

#56 Oct 26, 2012
carbobcat stalled life in shambles now!
Jerry Sandusky

United States

#57 Oct 26, 2012
you don't know how many kids I've rapped to be able to afford this car! I rapped someone then tried to use this as my get away car but it stalled and now I have 128 counts of rape and I'm sitting on a jail computer in the library! everybody's prayers would be greatly appreciated!
sincerely yours truly
-Jerry Sandusky
Dodge Man

Granby, MO

#58 Nov 29, 2012
Rob M wrote:
<quoted text>I had my computer flashed, changed all spark plugs, replaced the throttle body (if that's what it is really called) on the top front of the motor, replaced the crank sensor, took the charcoal canister out, by passed that whole system, drove the car without it in there and the problem still occurs identically ....still randomly stalls no matter how much gas in the tank. It's a 2006 300C hemi. I'm all done. I'm bailing on it and selling it cheap! You can be sure Chrysler knows which items to target and it's being ignored because of the expense and losses of a recall. There are thousands and thousands of posts on this issue, and the dealers claim you are insane or crazy. It's how large corporations operate because they can. I know cause I work for one of them. Basically cut your losses on this car and buy something else.:(
2006 model 300C... Question, if you're still perusing this forum, what viscosities and types of oil have you used in it?
Dodge Man

Granby, MO

#59 Nov 29, 2012
Arthur wrote:
I just bought a 2007 chrysler 300C awd with 74000 miles and it stalled on me the other day at a stop light,how messed up is that.I am now reading on line that this is a common problem with this car.I will be taking it back to the dealer but I am not feeling good about the results.I'm sure who ever had it before me had the same issues,wish me luck it sounds like I will need some.
For anyone else that wants to post about this issue, please read my previous posts regarding it. I have two more suggestions.

If you have a habit of filling your fuel tank before it gets below 3/4 full, DON'T DO IT! Preferably, don't fill up until you are @ or below 1/2 tank.

Don't believe me? Try this... Before you get below 3/4 full, fill the tank, remove the nozzle, but wait to put the cap back on and listen for a "gurgling" sound from the mouth of the fuel tank. If you hear it, your vehicle will stall within a few blocks! Simple fix for this is to not fill up until you are below 3/4 tank. The correct fix? A new fuel tank! This issue is caused by owners TOPPING OFF or OVERFILLING the tank. Damages the internal workings of the tank.

The second suggestion, if you own a 2006 or later HEMI, the system that shuts down your cylinders at cruise to give you better mileage is malfunctioning. The main reason it malfunctions is: someone failed to follow the instruction to use 5W/20 oil ONLY in the engine. Anything else plays havoc with the system. Read your owner's manual, if you have one, of course.

Neither one of these issues present an Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL).
debbie

Newport, OR

#60 Nov 30, 2012
Dodge Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I do know what I'm talking about. Your post doesn't disprove anything I said. You indicate you bought the vehicle 5 years ago. If my arithmetic is correct, this vehicle had previous owner for up to two years! You do not know whether the previous owner obeyed the law, perhaps the car was not in Oregon for all of those 2 years!
You never indicate what you've done to correct the deficiency. I really don't care what other forums there are discussing this issue. If this were really an issue, Chrysler would have issued a recall. So far, that is not the case.
If you are really concerned about your safety, why have you not taken this vehicle to a reputable repair shop and gotten it fixed?
BTW, have you ever changed the batteries in your remote controls? Known to cause almost the same issues. The manufacturer recommends replacing the batteries every 2 years, so you should have changed them when you bought the vehicle.
Getting a little dramatic with the "almost lost control" statement. It's difficult to lose control when the vehicle has fail-safe's built in for those situations. That is, of course, you are ignorant of this feature.
My post is intended to provide information for you to do with what you will. Bottom line, get the vehicle fixed.
Dodgeman- Just came here because got a new mail post in my Email, usually I delete the post from here I opened so i could come here and let everyone know what the problem is. First of all Im not ignorant, you obviously are because if the engine dies going down the freeway you lose power control, my husband is an engineer and a big strong man and he know what hes talking about and he almost lost control...!! Second, You are wrong on everything you have said and are not helping anyone. Here is what happened. I emailed Chrysler and let them know what was going on, recieved a phone call back and they told me it was the gas tank. They would pay for half. So we took it to a dealer in Newport they put in a new tank and it runs perfect now. They knew right off what it was and still didn't recall they should of payed the whole thing but we were glad to get half back. still cost us around $800 but better than nothing. So please don't give people here the wrong answers, it needs a new tank... Anyone with this problem call chrysler and let them know.IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE GAS CAP OR FILLING TANKS TO MUCH.....
debbie

Newport, OR

#61 Nov 30, 2012
Just wanted to let anyone know that has been having a problem with there 300 Chrysler sputtering after putting gas in it, it is NOT the gas cap it is NOT from filling the tank to much, it needs a New gas tank Chrysler knows this and still did not recall. They however paid half for putting in a new tank. When we took it to a dealer they looked it up and it did show that, yep it was the tank(it is on file) So I urge you to call the Chrysler head office and get this resolved. Since they know this is the problem and are willing to pay half they should of payed the whole thing. but as long as it is fixed and running perfect now that's fine just wanted to warn anyone coming here with the same problems as I had and there are hundreds of post like mine who had the same problem.
Eddie C

Los Angeles, CA

#62 Dec 6, 2012
I own a 2007C-300,it randomly stalls only when im stopped at a light.On a couple of occasions it cut off, it starts up, also no check engine light. I took it to the dealear and there were no trouble codes.I bought the car in 2007 with 47 miles on the OD. Its only been serviced by one dealer Burge chrysler santa monica. Thinking about gettting rid of it.There are to many of the same complaints about this issue.
Dodge Man

Granby, MO

#63 Dec 11, 2012
debbie wrote:
<quoted text>Dodgeman- Just came here because got a new mail post in my Email, usually I delete the post from here I opened so i could come here and let everyone know what the problem is. First of all Im not ignorant, you obviously are because if the engine dies going down the freeway you lose power control, my husband is an engineer and a big strong man and he know what hes talking about and he almost lost control...!! Second, You are wrong on everything you have said and are not helping anyone. Here is what happened. I emailed Chrysler and let them know what was going on, recieved a phone call back and they told me it was the gas tank. They would pay for half. So we took it to a dealer in Newport they put in a new tank and it runs perfect now. They knew right off what it was and still didn't recall they should of payed the whole thing but we were glad to get half back. still cost us around $800 but better than nothing. So please don't give people here the wrong answers, it needs a new tank... Anyone with this problem call chrysler and let them know.IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE GAS CAP OR FILLING TANKS TO MUCH.....
Wrong, you nitwit! What did you replace? THE GAS TANK! What I shared has to do with filling the fuel tank to check out the problem! It's called diagnostics!

Yes, you lose power steering & brakes when the engine dies, BUT YOU CAN STILL CONTROL THE VEHICLE AND STOP IT! It's called fail-safe! It just takes more effort to steer and stop the car. If you aren't aware of this feature (it's been built into vehicles from the advent of power steering & brakes on vehicles!) you really shouldn't be behind the wheel of a vehicle! Ignorance is bliss, but deadly in some situations!

Like most engineers, they rarely know anything about the workings of a vehicle unless they are an AUTOMOTIVE engineer!

Big and strong, but could not control a vehicle without power assist. A little TOO dramatic... Don't you think?

Yes, you are ignorant when you can't read and glean information! You are ignorant with regard to your sentence structure as well.

Nothing you've said disproves anything I've said. Diagnosis of vehicle issues, without being able to place hands on the vehicle in question, is a crapshoot at best! I shared my findings from some of the things I've discovered diagnosing "similar" issues.

BTW, thanks for at least coming back and letting others know there was a solution to your problem. Most posters never do! However, it may not be the solution for someone else!
Dodge Man

Granby, MO

#64 Dec 11, 2012
debbie wrote:
Just wanted to let anyone know that has been having a problem with there 300 Chrysler sputtering after putting gas in it, it is NOT the gas cap it is NOT from filling the tank to much, it needs a New gas tank Chrysler knows this and still did not recall. They however paid half for putting in a new tank. When we took it to a dealer they looked it up and it did show that, yep it was the tank(it is on file) So I urge you to call the Chrysler head office and get this resolved. Since they know this is the problem and are willing to pay half they should of payed the whole thing. but as long as it is fixed and running perfect now that's fine just wanted to warn anyone coming here with the same problems as I had and there are hundreds of post like mine who had the same problem.
Chrysler paid half because they know the problem is caused by owners overfilling the fuel tank. They know consumers today are too illiterate and lazy to read and follow the owners manual recommendations!

Recalls are only issued for SAFTY issues.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chrysler 300 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Grille replacement Mar 5 DBwarrior 1
Check Engine Light on for 3 days (Apr '06) Jan '17 petermaclean canada 118
No Wifi in 2017 Chrysler 300 Dec '16 Delirious-T 1
Doors freezing home when cold Dec '16 Jdubb311 1
News What's New for 2017: Chrysler Dec '16 Bob 3
Just wondering Nov '16 Devontua 1
Chrysler 300 Climate Control Light not working (Jan '08) Sep '16 romy 64
More from around the web