Chrysler 300c Stalls
Sheila

Indianapolis, IN

#22 Nov 24, 2010
Sheila wrote:
For the last 60 days my 2005 300C, 35,000 miles, randomly stalls and dies within 2 blocks right after I fill up the gas tank with premium gas. I am able to restart the car after a few tries. The dealership states that they cannot duplicate the issue or find anything wrong with the car after keeping it for 7 days. What are the solutions for this issue. It is very dangerous to have the car stalling and die in an intersection.
Please post a solutions to the stalling issue mentioned above
BILL GARDYASZ

AOL

#23 Nov 30, 2010
i guess until some dies, chrysler will not adress the issue of the 300c stalling after fillup, the car losses all power and and a accident is waiting to happen. i have one of these lemons ,where chrysler can't fix or so they say.There should be a way to get this fixed, before someone drives losses power and can't control the car plows into a another car. Then CHRYSLER will have a lawsuit like toyota and things willl get done,If anyone has found a cure you can email me at [email protected]
Jay

Como, CO

#24 Dec 20, 2010
Sheila wrote:
For the last 60 days my 2005 300C, 35,000 miles, randomly stalls and dies within 2 blocks right after I fill up the gas tank with premium gas. I am able to restart the car after a few tries. The dealership states that they cannot duplicate the issue or find anything wrong with the car after keeping it for 7 days. What are the solutions for this issue. It is very dangerous to have the car stalling and die in an intersection.
Sheila, I may have a very simple solution, thanks to your very descriptive post. It sounds to me like your charcoal cannister, which is meant to hold fuel vapor, may be contaminated w/ raw "liquid" fuel. This can happen due to a defective vent valve in the fuel tank, or by "topping off the tank" after the pump has stopped automatically. I'm guessing the dealer never filled the tank as you do, in order to duplicate the concern. The car will stall at random when the purge solenoid is commanded to open, allowing liquid fuel, rather then fuel vapor into the intake, which "floods" the cylinders with unexpected fuel. Schedule an appointment at the dealer, fill the vehicle with fuel as you normally would just before you take it in, and tell them to check the evap system for liquid fuel and repair as necessary.
Mark

United States

#25 Dec 26, 2010
My 05 chrysler is stalls to,especially in red lights. I took it in 2 times the first time they said the throttle was bad and the censor that goes to it. It did the same thing, then took it back and they said the cars computer was sending a bad signal to the throttle and I replaced it 2 days ago. Now it stalled again . I dont know what to do anymore. I have payed 1,200 if you might know anything please...[email protected] l.com
Garrett

Dallas, TX

#26 Jan 24, 2011
Jay wrote:
<quoted text>
Sheila, I may have a very simple solution, thanks to your very descriptive post. It sounds to me like your charcoal cannister, which is meant to hold fuel vapor, may be contaminated w/ raw "liquid" fuel. This can happen due to a defective vent valve in the fuel tank, or by "topping off the tank" after the pump has stopped automatically. I'm guessing the dealer never filled the tank as you do, in order to duplicate the concern. The car will stall at random when the purge solenoid is commanded to open, allowing liquid fuel, rather then fuel vapor into the intake, which "floods" the cylinders with unexpected fuel. Schedule an appointment at the dealer, fill the vehicle with fuel as you normally would just before you take it in, and tell them to check the evap system for liquid fuel and repair as necessary.
This is the exact same problem I am having. My car will stall after I fill it up. Then after it has sat without driving for a day, it runs fine.
Melissa

Englewood, CO

#27 Feb 7, 2011
same problem. Where's the solutions?
Pat

United States

#28 Feb 7, 2011
I have a 2005 300c. Car stalls at traffic lights and trans remains in neutral. It takes a few minutes to get it in gear and then acts sluggish. It can run for 2 weeks just fine and then the problem starts right back up. My wife just called me and it stalled while she was changing lanes on the highway and her steering locked up. She almost ran off the road.
Marcus

Monroeville, PA

#29 Mar 3, 2011
Hey i'm buying a 2000 chysler 300m from a friend of mine, 120k miles on it and she said the car drove just fine until a few weeks ago it stalled on her. She doesn't know what it needs cause she let it just sit in her driveway. She's selling it to me for a fair price and I was wondering before I purchase it what do I need to look into and how much (estimate) am I spending.

Email me at [email protected]
thanks!
TerryG

Winnipeg, Canada

#30 Mar 28, 2011
Did you find the problem? Mine does the same thing!
Donna

Smyrna, DE

#31 May 11, 2011
We also have a Chrylser 300 a 2005, that stalls and the check engine light blinks on and off. It has gone to the dealer and no codes were left, and they tell you nothing is wrong. At times, the car has shaked like the wheels were going to fall off. Everything in the frontend had been replaced due to frontend clicking noises. We were told to call Chrysler by the dealer because they were tired of seeing the car in the repair shop. Chrysler did nothing to fix the problem. There is a serious problem with this car.
Jason

Springfield, OH

#32 Jun 22, 2011
I just found this from a Chrysler Certified Technician. My 05 has died and miraculously resurected itself 3 times now. All of them after I fueld up. If you think back, it's probably the same for all of you too. Here's the fix:

"This is caused by liquid fuel entering the evporative emissions sytem. The evap system stores fuel vapors from the tank and burns them in the engine so they don't go into the atmosphere.

When you fill the fuel tank the air in the tank has to be displaced by the incoming fuel. This air can't go into the atmosphere, so it leaves the tank and goes through the vapor canister, then through another line and through a filter before it goes into the atmosphere. On top of the fuel tank where this vapor recovery line leaves and goes to the canister there is a valve that is only supposed to allow vapor to leave and should shut off when liquid fuel gets to it. When this valve fails it will allow liquid fuel to be pushed up into the lines and into the vapor canister. When you start the engine the purge solenoid will come on shortly to pull vapors from the canister and burn them. What it gets instead is this liquid fuel that shouldn't be there, so it runs very rich and can die at idle. As the liquid gets burned out it will run better.

There are two ways to go about fixing it. The cheapest way would be to not fill the tank completely and this will stop the liquid from pushing into the canister. The only permanent and actual fix is to replace the fuel tank. All fuel tank lines and valving are molded into the fuel tank and only serviced with the tank itself, so the fuel tank has to be replaced to cure this problem."

Read more: 2005 Chrysler 300C stalls 4 to five times after fuel fill.- JustAnswer http://www.justanswer.com/chrysler/2n3n3-2005...
Rick

Poulsbo, WA

#33 Jul 19, 2011
Sheila wrote:
Sheila; Our 2005 300C has stall problem that sounds identical to yours. Always after I fill it with gas it will stall when stopping or sitting at a light. This usually continues for 10-15 mins. by then I am usually at Hwy speeds where, once or twice I've feel a hesitation or seen the rpm on the Tac waiver but for the most part it's OK at hwy speeds and after until the next time I get gas. I hear gurgeling sounds from the gas fill tube after I remove the gas nozzle after puttingh in ther fuel. This makes me think there is a vent problem in the fuel tank/filler pipe area.
Dealer was no help with this problem initially. Have not spoken to dealer about the gurgling sound yet.
A friend who used to be a mechanic told me a couple months ago that I should not "top off" the tank when putting in gas....when the auto shut-off goes off just pull the nozzle and consider it full. If you continue to fill the pipe you stand a chance of gas going down into vent system and this can cause "problems". So, I now do as he suggests. But, I already had the stalling problem before I started doing this. Anyone out there know more abot this?

Rick
Dwayne

Belleville, IL

#35 Jul 27, 2011
Have the transmission fluid changed and flushed and make sure they refill it with a synthetic fluid. The car will run a lot better.
shawn

Fayetteville, PA

#36 Oct 31, 2011
everyone check the overflow valve its 1000 dollar fix
MIKE

Clearwater, FL

#37 Dec 2, 2011
Mich72 wrote:
I bought my 300C new in 2005. It now has 87,000 miles on it and stalls at intersections with the esp light flashing and the lightning bolt (battery) sign lighted. The car wanted to die with no power. I pulled over and shut it off and restarted. The car ran well all the way from NY to CT. At the exit ramp died again. Obviously there is a common problem with this car, any suggestions on what is causing it? I am bringing it to the dealer today.
Having the same problem - Dyou find out the problem. Thanks
kris

San Jose, CA

#38 Dec 21, 2011
Sheila wrote:

I am having the same problem. Every time i fill the car completly full it stalls about 2-4 times until driving for awhile. It oly stalls when coming to a stop. my friend thats a mecanic says that the fue pump could.he.tje.problem. he thinks that thw floot on the fuel pump is sticking until i burn some gas off. Very scary. Im going to change the fuel pump this week and ill let you all know if.it fixs the problem.
Dodge Man

Granby, MO

#39 Feb 17, 2012
Jason wrote:
I just found this from a Chrysler Certified Technician. My 05 has died and miraculously resurected itself 3 times now. All of them after I fueld up. If you think back, it's probably the same for all of you too. Here's the fix:

"This is caused by liquid fuel entering the evporative emissions sytem. The evap system stores fuel vapors from the tank and burns them in the engine so they don't go into the atmosphere.

When you fill the fuel tank the air in the tank has to be displaced by the incoming fuel. This air can't go into the atmosphere, so it leaves the tank and goes through the vapor canister, then through another line and through a filter before it goes into the atmosphere. On top of the fuel tank where this vapor recovery line leaves and goes to the canister there is a valve that is only supposed to allow vapor to leave and should shut off when liquid fuel gets to it. When this valve fails it will allow liquid fuel to be pushed up into the lines and into the vapor canister. When you start the engine the purge solenoid will come on shortly to pull vapors from the canister and burn them. What it gets instead is this liquid fuel that shouldn't be there, so it runs very rich and can die at idle. As the liquid gets burned out it will run better.

There are two ways to go about fixing it. The cheapest way would be to not fill the tank completely and this will stop the liquid from pushing into the canister. The only permanent and actual fix is to replace the fuel tank. All fuel tank lines and valving are molded into the fuel tank and only serviced with the tank itself, so the fuel tank has to be replaced to cure this problem."

Read more: 2005 Chrysler 300C stalls 4 to five times after fuel fill.- JustAnswer http://www.justanswer.com/chrysler/2n3n3-2005...
Actually, it happens because people continue adding more fuel to the tank after the fuel nozzle shuts off the first time when you fill the tank. DO NOT TOP OFF THE TANK! Stop when the nozzle stops! The nozzle stops when the fuel tank is 80 percent full! The last 20 percent is for air space and allows for expansion!

This instruction is in your owners manual! Surprisingly, there is a lot of other instructions in there owners ignore, then wonder why the vehicle malfunctions and costs the MONEY!!!
F Osborn

Portland, OR

#40 Mar 22, 2012
I have the same issue of stalling during driving/idling as above, 2005 300C. It has 120,000 miles and I have "filled" the tank full maybe 5 times in that entire time and I still have this issue, so I don't think the overfill is as much of an issue. Not sure what's causing the problem but my next step is to look at replacing the EGR valve. Other forums say this has worked.
Dodge Man

United States

#41 Mar 23, 2012
F Osborn wrote:
I have the same issue of stalling during driving/idling as above, 2005 300C. It has 120,000 miles and I have "filled" the tank full maybe 5 times in that entire time and I still have this issue, so I don't think the overfill is as much of an issue. Not sure what's causing the problem but my next step is to look at replacing the EGR valve. Other forums say this has worked.
Forget the EGR valve. You obviously don't know what you are doing. But hey, it's your money, knock yourself out!

Once you over fill the first time, you are screwed! You've flooded the vapor canister. Costs about $300 to fix! The fuel nozzles at the "gas" station shut off when the fuel tank is 80% full. The air space is for fuel expansion. When you overfill, and the fuel expands, it has nowhere to go except to back up into the venting system. No venting, no fuel flow to the injectors, thus stalling! Simple! This doesn't cause an engine light to illuminate, or set a code. That's why your mechanic can't find anything wrong!

Many folks in this post are causing their own problems when they fail to follow instructions in the owners manual! There is a reason why the instructions are in there or they wouldn't be there. This is one of those instructions.

Foolishness like this is one of the reasons I don't work on other people's vehicles anymore! I can't fix stupid!

What on earth do you think you are accomplishing by "topping off the tank"? Even when you keep trying to add fuel to "round off" to the next dollar, or whatever. DO NOT DO IT!

Stop this practice on any vehicle you own! It causes problems! Same thing as tightening the gas cap properly!

Sorry to be blunt, but I read these posts blaming the vehicle for something you are make the vehicle do, and wonder why? Ignore this if you like. You want answers, just trying to give what you asked for.
Arthur

Odessa, FL

#42 May 27, 2012
I just bought a 2007 chrysler 300C awd with 74000 miles and it stalled on me the other day at a stop light,how messed up is that.I am now reading on line that this is a common problem with this car.I will be taking it back to the dealer but I am not feeling good about the results.I'm sure who ever had it before me had the same issues,wish me luck it sounds like I will need some.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chrysler 300 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dodge Charger, Jeep Cherokee, Chrysler 300 reca... May 3 gm guy 1
News FCA to recall 1.1 million vehicles for confusin... Apr '16 who 1
News Fiat Chrysler's recall, Toyota's earthquake woe... Apr '16 more of 1
News Fiat Chrysler recalling more than 1.1 million v... Apr '16 fred 4
Check Engine Light on for 3 days (Apr '06) Apr '16 Msdnicety 117
Chrysler 300 Climate Control Light not working (Jan '08) Mar '16 Merry 63
News Regulators turn up heat over Fiat Chrysler roll... Feb '16 by golly 4
More from around the web