5 reasons electric vehicles don't get buyers charged up

Oct 29, 2012 Full story: Detroit Free Press 43

Every weekday, Chevrolet Volt owners jockey to hook up their cars to the two electric-vehicle charging stations in front of General Motors' Renaissance Center headquarters in downtown Detroit.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Pete

Livonia, MI

#1 Oct 29, 2012
I believe the whole technology of power storage and charging needs to change from the current wall charging of a battery.

Induction charging would allow the vehicle to simply drive near the charging station and be charged. There would be no wires or safety implications like plugs.

The storage would hopefully be supercapacitors instead of batteries. These could potentially be charged in about the time it takes to fuel up a gas vehicle now. This technology is used in small model airplanes. A quick charge allows it to fly for a bit. Capacitors would probably outlast the vehicle and maybe be transferred to future purchases.
hidden agenda

San Diego, CA

#2 Oct 29, 2012
The only reason the electric car is being pushed is so they can increase your electric bill, an easy push. Electricity is easier to manipulate than gas. You'll be paying out the ass if you own an electric car, doesn't matter how many miles you get on it.
Pete

Livonia, MI

#3 Oct 29, 2012
hidden agenda wrote:
The only reason the electric car is being pushed is so they can increase your electric bill, an easy push. Electricity is easier to manipulate than gas. You'll be paying out the ass if you own an electric car, doesn't matter how many miles you get on it.
More likely government would tax your charging to mimic the money they receive from gas taxes.
MRM

Louisville, KY

#4 Oct 29, 2012
Electricity is still far cheaper than gasoline. My wife and I own a 2012 Volt and we don't even know what the going rate is for gas because we rarely use it. I have to admit its nice just passing up the gas station and not looking at the price. Our electric bill only went up by $20 to $30 a month depending on if we charge more than once a day.
Pete

Livonia, MI

#5 Oct 30, 2012
I topped off the 35 gallon Sierra tank yesterday just in case there were refinery problems from Sandy. I could go to the Keweenaw Peninsula and still not need to fuel up. But if I did, it would take about five minutes. I could bring back a load of Christmas trees or bricks if I wanted to. If there is a foot of snow, I have to avoid the little cars stuck in my path like croquet wickets.

Overall, my cost per mile including purchase cost is very good compared to a Volt and doubly so when cost per pound carried is figured in.

The Volt has not been marketed in a "free market" sense. You are driving on government welfare so to speak. That's fine for you if you enjoy it. This concept won't succeed in high volume unless something changes. I sincerely hope technology progresses to the point that electric vehicles are viable without support. We all have to go with what works for us. I need about 300lb.ft of torque.
N Tesla

Rockford, IL

#6 Oct 30, 2012
soon electric cars will be assessed a yearly tax for road upkeep. the government will claim the are loosing gas tax dollars because of the cars.
Pete

Livonia, MI

#7 Oct 30, 2012
N Tesla wrote:
soon electric cars will be assessed a yearly tax for road upkeep. the government will claim the are loosing gas tax dollars because of the cars.
I would actually favor a tax based on miles driven, which is roughly what the gas tax is supposed to do. However, I am against the privacy intrusion that could take place from extra information that could be recorded and used inappropriately.

The roads do need to be maintained and those using them should pay the bulk.
ThomasA

Birmingham, AL

#8 Oct 30, 2012
N Tesla wrote:
It's time we taxed bicycles too. The cyclists demand safer bike trails and marked pathes through the city so if they want to push "Share The Road",let them "Share The Cost"! How about $15.00 a year for single speed,$20.00 for multiple less than ten speeds and $25.00 for ten and over. Seems fair. Set the fines like driving without a car tag. Get caught riding without a license, the officer can take the bike with him. Don't pay the fine,auction the bikes.
Pete

Livonia, MI

#9 Oct 30, 2012
ThomasA wrote:
<quoted text>It's time we taxed bicycles too. The cyclists demand safer bike trails and marked pathes through the city so if they want to push "Share The Road",let them "Share The Cost"! How about $15.00 a year for single speed,$20.00 for multiple less than ten speeds and $25.00 for ten and over. Seems fair. Set the fines like driving without a car tag. Get caught riding without a license, the officer can take the bike with him. Don't pay the fine,auction the bikes.
Sounds good to me ThomasA and I could certainly handle those minimal fees. While we're being creative and using newer technologies, how about keeping track of miles on a bike and offering a credit for saving the gas and roads. Let's make a system of total equity. People who jog may be using more clean air too.
N Tesla

Rockford, IL

#10 Oct 30, 2012
Tom & Pete, I agree.
Skeeter

Belleville, MI

#11 Oct 30, 2012
Everyone should own a mini car to navigate around debris in the streets after a after math like Sandy...
Pete

Livonia, MI

#12 Oct 31, 2012
Skeeter wrote:
Everyone should own a mini car to navigate around debris in the streets after a after math like Sandy...
Emergencies are hard to plan for. Sandy was somewhat planned. Most emergencies come out of the blue. Too much "stuff" can get in the way during an emergency. I believe in keeping the basics of food and stored energy (fuel and electric). Beyond that, it's important to stay in shape yourself so you can take advantage of opportunities that an emergency presents.
Skeeter

Belleville, MI

#13 Oct 31, 2012
Urban areas will harbor disaster at a time when we are being warned of foreboding events, there's nothing we can do they must be able to flee the risk of being there with their own impulse...
Pete

Livonia, MI

#14 Oct 31, 2012
Skeeter wrote:
Urban areas will harbor disaster at a time when we are being warned of foreboding events, there's nothing we can do they must be able to flee the risk of being there with their own impulse...
No shortage of impulse in the urban areas. If the disaster doesn't kill them, they will copulate in a frenzy causing a major spike in births.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#15 Nov 1, 2012
ThomasA wrote:
<quoted text>It's time we taxed bicycles too. The cyclists demand safer bike trails and marked pathes through the city so if they want to push "Share The Road",let them "Share The Cost"! How about $15.00 a year for single speed,$20.00 for multiple less than ten speeds and $25.00 for ten and over. Seems fair. Set the fines like driving without a car tag. Get caught riding without a license, the officer can take the bike with him. Don't pay the fine,auction the bikes.
Don't forget a bicycle drivers license and registration and Insurance, if these bike f uc ks want to drive on the road, make them pay for it just like the car owners.
Robert

Lombard, IL

#16 Nov 1, 2012
snapcracklepop wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forget a bicycle drivers license and registration and Insurance, if these bike f uc ks want to drive on the road, make them pay for it just like the car owners.
Right. And how about a license for shoes for when people walk across the street. Those pedestrians get in my way all the time.
Monique

Seattle, WA

#18 Nov 1, 2012
RETIRED wrote:
i believe in eletric cars, now i plug in my electric razor while i'm driving, and my wife can plug charge her vibrator while we're driving
If you could close the deal your wife would not need the vibrator.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#19 Nov 1, 2012
marriage is becoming obsolete..
Gottime

Macomb, MI

#22 Nov 2, 2012
RETIRED wrote:
<quoted text>i'll lay you, babe
Ok. So you are saying Sergio Marchionne, who is the CEO of 3 companies, will focus energy on getting rid of seniority? Sure he will. The financial situation in Europe and Chryslers return from bankruptcy and the poor economy here and the slew of new product launches that will be happening the next few years and he will try to change seniority? You do realize how unimportant that is in the grand scheme of things? It won't even be on the table.
Archie

Detroit, MI

#23 Nov 2, 2012
Gottime wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok. So you are saying Sergio Marchionne, who is the CEO of 3 companies, will focus energy on getting rid of seniority? Sure he will. The financial situation in Europe and Chryslers return from bankruptcy and the poor economy here and the slew of new product launches that will be happening the next few years and he will try to change seniority? You do realize how unimportant that is in the grand scheme of things? It won't even be on the table.
Low build quality won't be on the table either. Never has been.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chrysler 300 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Refreshing or Revolting: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Jan '13) 2 hr Ben 20
CEO to reveal 5-year strategy in early 2014; ke... (Nov '13) Thu Bob 13
Chrysler Invites Consumers to Break a Guinness ... (Jan '07) Oct 13 fool 3
Chrysler Slips Out of Cruise Control (Jan '06) Oct 1 1979jnap 4
'06 300 Ltd. lead frame failure Sep '14 Schnellco 1
Chrysler 300c Stalls (Oct '07) Sep '14 Just me 145
Chrysler recalls 62,369 new vehicles over glitc... (Jan '07) Aug '14 wtapsvr2 2

Chrysler 300 People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE