Check Engine Light on for 3 days
Vikki Haley

Palmdale, CA

#83 Jan 14, 2012
I have a 2006 300 which has had the Check Engine Light coming on and off since November. The first time it happened, the car was driving at 35 mph and the engine just quit. I was able to start it back up but it ran rough. It appears to come on whenever there is acceleration. Second instance was yesterday - again, accelerated but this time engine cut out. Looks like its time to complain to the DOT and check on the recalls. This seemslikea major problem with this particular car and who has thousands of dollars today to spend on repairs.
maggie

United States

#84 Feb 8, 2012
Tom wrote:
In terms of deposits, buy some sea foam, you can find it at napa. 10$ Sea foam your motor. Makes an insane differance and sensor safe. Gets rid of any build up. Takes 30 minutes to do.. In terms of fuel economy. Go to a machine shop and have a custom aluminum peice made for your intake closer to the motor, install the air intake temp sensor into the block. Instant 100km more to a tank of gas in the city. Now for your transmission, if it leaks there is a link online in the automotive 300c forums as to how to fix this yourself. Its and 8$ part and takes about 1-2 hours to do. Not hard. In terms of the check engine light, Get someone with an OBD 2 code reader, and check the codes yourself. NEVER go to dealer!! They charge insane prices and never get the job done right. All your problems are easy fixes.
That's what happening to me I done now what to do the code was p1004 and now it want turn over or running Help!!!
Dodge Man

Granby, MO

#85 Feb 16, 2012
Vikki Haley wrote:
I have a 2006 300 which has had the Check Engine Light coming on and off since November. The first time it happened, the car was driving at 35 mph and the engine just quit. I was able to start it back up but it ran rough. It appears to come on whenever there is acceleration. Second instance was yesterday - again, accelerated but this time engine cut out. Looks like its time to complain to the DOT and check on the recalls. This seemslikea major problem with this particular car and who has thousands of dollars today to spend on repairs.
You can always count on a Californian to just the opposite of what should be done!

Take your vehicle in to a QUALIFIED repair shop and have the codes read. Then have them fix the malfunction! Simple! It will not cost thousands to fix. Given your attitude, I wouldn't doubt the malfunction is directly related to your failure to perform prescribed maintenance on your vehicle.

FYI, recalls are usually only issued for safety issues. Vehicles do malfunction! Get over it! If you can't afford to maintain a vehicle, don't own one!

"COMPLAIN TO THE DOT"?!!!! Really? Do you even know what the D.O.T. is, or what it does? I can see why you've ignored the check engine light for so long😏
Bummer

Vancouver, Canada

#86 Apr 8, 2012
Same bought used 300C AWD Hemi Chrysler 2006 Engine light came on - dealer changed thermostat light went off 1 week later whooooopy engine light back on with no diagnosis in sight. Seems this is a design fault over all by Chrysler. There can't be this many mess ups on a continual basis.
Paula

Little Rock, AR

#87 Apr 17, 2012
My Chryslter 300 with 32,000 miles is a 2007 model. The red lightening bolt light comes on now after about 3 miles of driving and the gas tank light at the same time. The car does not seem to be affected by this at all. Does anybody have any suggestions for what could be wrong with this?
Vikki Haley

Lancaster, CA

#88 Apr 17, 2012
Dodge Man wrote:
<quoted text>
You can always count on a Californian to just the opposite of what should be done!
Take your vehicle in to a QUALIFIED repair shop and have the codes read. Then have them fix the malfunction! Simple! It will not cost thousands to fix. Given your attitude, I wouldn't doubt the malfunction is directly related to your failure to perform prescribed maintenance on your vehicle.
FYI, recalls are usually only issued for safety issues. Vehicles do malfunction! Get over it! If you can't afford to maintain a vehicle, don't own one!
"COMPLAIN TO THE DOT"?!!!! Really? Do you even know what the D.O.T. is, or what it does? I can see why you've ignored the check engine light for so long😏
Guess what Dodge Man...I did have the code read and I replaced a $30 part and the problem has gone away. No thanx to you and your nastiness.
Dodge Man

Coffeyville, KS

#89 Apr 19, 2012
Vikki Haley wrote:
<quoted text>Guess what Dodge Man...I did have the code read and I replaced a $30 part and the problem has gone away. No thanx to you and your nastiness.
Hey, it got you to do what you should have done without my prodding! As if that had anything to do with it. That wasn't so bad after all! Enjoy your vehicle! Hope it makes you happy.
Dodge Man

Coffeyville, KS

#90 Apr 19, 2012
Bummer wrote:
Same bought used 300C AWD Hemi Chrysler 2006 Engine light came on - dealer changed thermostat light went off 1 week later whooooopy engine light back on with no diagnosis in sight. Seems this is a design fault over all by Chrysler. There can't be this many mess ups on a continual basis.
Gee, a run-on sentence that doesn't make any sense! News flash, the engine codes are there to tell you something is wrong in the system in your vehicle, NOT everyone else's!

Find a reputable shop, have the codes read, troubleshot, and then have required repairs made!

Don't tell me I'm a smarta-- either! You provide no viable information to provide you with any possible repairs to be attempted. Anything I could suggest would be a wild-a-- guess.

Understand, vehicles are machines! They malfunction, but can be repaired.
Dodge Man

Coffeyville, KS

#91 Apr 19, 2012
Paula wrote:
My Chryslter 300 with 32,000 miles is a 2007 model. The red lightening bolt light comes on now after about 3 miles of driving and the gas tank light at the same time. The car does not seem to be affected by this at all. Does anybody have any suggestions for what could be wrong with this?
Why ask the people here for a diagnosis? Check your owners manual. Does it give you a reason for these warning lights to be on? If that doesn't help, take it to a QUALIFIED technician for an analysis. You'll get it repaired faster that way.
Pat

Kansas City, KS

#92 Jul 9, 2012
I'm looking at a 2003 Chrysler Concorde for my son. The car has a check engine light on, and the owner said the engine is a new engine. He said it would cost about $500 to replace a sensor. Should I run from this car?
Vikki

Lancaster, CA

#93 Jul 9, 2012
Pat wrote:
I'm looking at a 2003 Chrysler Concorde for my son. The car has a check engine light on, and the owner said the engine is a new engine. He said it would cost about $500 to replace a sensor. Should I run from this car?
Pat - It may just be a $30 part (computer sensor), which is what mine was. Light has been off ever since I replaced it.
Pat

Kansas City, KS

#94 Jul 10, 2012
Vikki wrote:
<quoted text>
Pat - It may just be a $30 part (computer sensor), which is what mine was. Light has been off ever since I replaced it.
Thanks, I took it to AutoZone and they used the code scanner. It is just a sensor in the exhaust-$68 for the part, about $40 to install!!!
michelle

Gig Harbor, WA

#95 Aug 19, 2012
Having check engine light on. Can be that the gas cap is not on right or needs to be replaced. That happens to my 300 often.
Kip

Buckeye, AZ

#96 Oct 5, 2012
I have a 300C, just cleaned the throttle body. As I started driving, the Malfunction Indicator Light came on. Has this happened to anyone else?
smooth

United States

#97 Oct 11, 2012
IRENE - downey CA wrote:
A reddish, orange lightning bolt keeps coming up on my dash board. i dont have a users manual.
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
thanks
its the electric throttle
smooth

United States

#98 Oct 11, 2012
its the electric throttle
John

Brampton, Canada

#99 Oct 14, 2012
2006 Chrysler 300C...original owner, have had the orange engine light on with associated chiming problem for 1.5 years starting at 116,000 kms. First did a tune up (earlier than advertised, but dealer recommended it and warned it may not fix the light problem). In fact it started running rough at times, when cold, after the tune up. A month later new software installed and recommended I fill with high test and rev high from time to time. Worked till half way through 2nd tank, over several months, then light on again, and started running rough for the first 30-40 seconds with light flashing. Back in for a big fix to replace valves, now 118,800 km and more than a year after problem first started. Less than a month later light back on, into shop again, this time replaced head, even bigger bill. I wasn't driving the car much as I have one that works right and this one scares me, and sure enough the light has come back on again, now about 119,500km. I will call dealer again, but will not pay another cent, so not sure where this will go. But surely there must be a way of warning people about this problem.
Carolyn

Louisville, KY

#100 Nov 17, 2012
i have a 300 touring with 80,000 the waring light have been on for about month when it first came on took it to the dealer they said it was find light off 5 days later its on again took it back they said it is going to cost a pretty penny any having this problem the car was brand new
Dodge Man

Tyler, TX

#101 Nov 23, 2012
John wrote:
2006 Chrysler 300C...original owner, have had the orange engine light on with associated chiming problem for 1.5 years starting at 116,000 kms. First did a tune up (earlier than advertised, but dealer recommended it and warned it may not fix the light problem). In fact it started running rough at times, when cold, after the tune up. A month later new software installed and recommended I fill with high test and rev high from time to time. Worked till half way through 2nd tank, over several months, then light on again, and started running rough for the first 30-40 seconds with light flashing. Back in for a big fix to replace valves, now 118,800 km and more than a year after problem first started. Less than a month later light back on, into shop again, this time replaced head, even bigger bill. I wasn't driving the car much as I have one that works right and this one scares me, and sure enough the light has come back on again, now about 119,500km. I will call dealer again, but will not pay another cent, so not sure where this will go. But surely there must be a way of warning people about this problem.
God, I have ask... Have you had the variable displacement system checked? Sounds to me like someone failed to use the 5w-20 oil required for HEMI engines built in 2006 and after. Some folks think the 5W-20 is a suggestion. The HEMI's require it after 2006!

Even if you used the required oil, this may still be your problem considering the mileage on the engine. You have a warning light, what are the error codes in the ECM, PCM, or VCM? Throwing parts and money at this isn't going to fix it. Given the mileage, put a new crate engine in it. You seem to like the vehicle or you wouldn't keep dumping money in it on wild goose chases. Just a suggestion.
My2Cents

United States

#102 Nov 23, 2012
Dodge Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Given the mileage, put a new crate engine in it. You seem to like the vehicle or you wouldn't keep dumping money in it on wild goose chases. Just a suggestion.
If having 74253.86 Miles on the car is excessive and would require a new crate engine then Chrysler should indeed look into some type of compensation for the owners of this engine.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chrysler 300 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dodge Charger, Jeep Cherokee, Chrysler 300 reca... May '16 gm guy 1
News FCA to recall 1.1 million vehicles for confusin... Apr '16 who 1
News Fiat Chrysler's recall, Toyota's earthquake woe... Apr '16 more of 1
News Fiat Chrysler recalling more than 1.1 million v... Apr '16 fred 4
Chrysler 300 Climate Control Light not working (Jan '08) Mar '16 Merry 63
Chrysler 300c Stalls (Oct '07) Mar '16 Elliott 1 162
News Regulators turn up heat over Fiat Chrysler roll... Feb '16 by golly 4
More from around the web