Press On: Revival in Detroit

Press On: Revival in Detroit

There are 3 comments on the Lake County Record-Bee story from Nov 19, 2010, titled Press On: Revival in Detroit. In it, Lake County Record-Bee reports that:

In the days of my Midwestern youth, me and the neighborhood boys I played with generally followed our dad's example when it came to the make of car we pledged our allegiance to.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lake County Record-Bee.

Philip Murphy

United States

#1 Nov 20, 2010
well, actually they are the same as the cars from the olden days from a styling standpoint, everything is retro these days because they've run out of new ideas. So what we see now is chubby versions of cars from the '70s with big rims coming out of detroit, just lower the roofline, make the sides slab-like and voila-you got your retro Camero/Challenger/T bird/Mini/whatever.
Jim Hall

Seattle, WA

#2 Nov 20, 2010
My dad was a Ford guy, and I have favored the Brand myself. I do have a warm feeling for the VW Bug as it really is and was a great car too. I started out with a Model A coupe that every kid in town owned at one time, as it sold for 50.00 each time it was passed on, when we got a better car to drive. I have a 77 T-Bird with 38,000 orginal miles on it, that I pick up in Oregon from a 103 year old retired librarian who had it stored for nealy 16 years. Most of all, I miss the ballyhoo that each new year brought on about the new models that came out that year. Dinah Shore show alway introduced the new Chevy line and L. Welks show did the same for Dodge. As a young boy, we lived near a Chevy plant, and they would put up a tarp all around the plants, holding car lot so you could not see the new models that were coming out that year. It was a big deal back then. I miss all the chrome and fins of those 50's models. A waiting of what the fin's on the new caddy would look like was another big deal. You don't see any of the two toned models either anymore.
Bill bennett

Englewood, OH

#4 Feb 21, 2011
Nice comments about back in the day,and yes, these asthetics are all but gone now and it is seemingly all about the high tech and electrical gadgets with ciruits for things we never really thought about needing in a car. Body designs and the appeearence with different looks and ornaments need to come back again if they really want a big crowd to follow after them. So many competitors with the same ideas of how to get the customer.I would like to see them take the time to sectionalize car bodies with fenders that would immediatly give some retro apperence and go back to some round headlights placed in good looking arangements up front again too.I grew up in the thick of the Detroit car culture and have been a student of automotive manufacturing all my life.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chrysler 300 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Have to put in neutral sometimes to start Jul 19 mcbethman 1
Chrysler 300 Climate Control Light not working (Jan '08) Jun '17 Anonymous 65
Chrysler 300c Stalls (Oct '07) Jun '17 Lee 169
Wth!!! Jun '17 Travis 1
News Woman seen taking package still at large Jun '17 Some of us need m... 1
Grille replacement May '17 kkg3030 2
News Chrysler may be testing a Hellcat 300 May '17 Skntired 1
More from around the web