Chevy S10/GMC S15-Sonoma: Problems & ...

Chevy S10/GMC S15-Sonoma: Problems & Solutions

There are 515 comments on the Edmunds.com story from Dec 4, 2005, titled Chevy S10/GMC S15-Sonoma: Problems & Solutions. In it, Edmunds.com reports that:

I don't know if this will help, but I just did some radiator work on my '01 S-10 with a 4.3. You might have a cracked tank inside the radiator.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Edmunds.com.

Steve

Portland, OR

#165 Jan 25, 2007
Try replacing the oil pressure switch. Cuts off fuel if bad - sends signal to fuel pump to start. No signal - no fuel pressure.
Justin wrote:
<quoted text> We have replaced our fuel pump, fuel filter, ICM, wires and plugs, battery cables, and the Engine's Computer and we even replaced the CPI system under the plentium and we still cant get ours to start. Only things left we have to check is the crank sensor. Dont think its the timing because when it died we were idling and there was no sputter. IT just died and has never started since. LET US KNOW WHAT THE HECK U FIND OR IF ANYONE ELSE HAS ANY IDEAS.
jon r

United States

#166 Jan 26, 2007
the 4 wheel drive on my '94 sonoma wont engage. could it be the vacuum actuator?
Norman

Baltimore, MD

#167 Jan 26, 2007
2001 gmc sonoma. It will start when cold but after it warms up it shutters and stalls. It is hard to start and then sputters and stalls. It will also run, sometimes, in park but when you shift to drive it jerks and seems like it starves out. It also jerks and bucks and shuts off when in drive. I've changed the fuel pump, cap and rotor. Any idea of what could be wrong
Carl

Oklahoma City, OK

#168 Jan 28, 2007
I have a 99 Chevy S-10. It will not start. I was driving down the highway and it died and now I cant get it to start. I changed the fuel filter because my girlfriend ran out of gas with it a couple days earlier. Any ideas on what I should check next?
Haskel

United States

#170 Jan 29, 2007
Tom Zim wrote:
i have a 91 sonoma 2.5 and it had a misfire so i replaced the cap and rotor as they were in bad shape. after thatr it would not start,i was told it was the coil so i replaced it and still wont start. all plugs and wires are brand new and im lost any suggestions.
Had the same problem, Replaced ignition module and that solved the problem.
Haskel

United States

#171 Jan 29, 2007
Had the same problem. Replaced the ignition module and that solved the problem.
aaa

Tiffin, OH

#172 Jan 29, 2007
Will wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm looking to buy a '94 S10 5spd/standard off a friend and was wondering if anyone could give me a rough idea as to what the gas mileage is like.
I have one and it get 16 but then i took the muffler off and got 17.5-18
jpalm

Wilmington, DE

#173 Feb 1, 2007
Mark wrote:
97 GMC Sonoma 4.3 standard. I noticed that when I change gears or put the truck in neutral, while driving. The idle stays rev'd. I've tried tapping the gas pedal but to no avail. It stays idling high until I come to a complete stop. I had to change out the brake booster recently. This problem occured before and after. I have a feeling it has something to do with the vacuum but am unsure where to begin. Thanks
Mark, There is no problem with the idle staying up around 2M RPM while the vehicle is moving, this is a polution control feature that was installed some years back. I have a 98 Isuzu Hombre 2.2 and two Mustang 5.0's that do the same thing. If you pay special attention to the RPM's on an automatic, you will see the RPM drop below ~2M only when the vehicle goes below a certain speed, 15 MPH I think. And no, I do not remember when this feature was added, just thought it was silly and would cause folks to wear brakes out sooner. Porbably suggested by the Bendix folks, lol.
jon frank

Chalfont, PA

#174 Feb 4, 2007
Hello,I have a 1988 s10 2.5l started Idleing high recently cut my gas mileage by about 1/3 idles high sometimes.Any ides on what i should check.thanks

Since: Jan 07

Montgomery, AL

#175 Feb 4, 2007
check out the o2 sensor, or vacume leak.
Steve McCanless

United States

#176 Feb 5, 2007
Norman wrote:
2001 gmc sonoma. It will start when cold but after it warms up it shutters and stalls. It is hard to start and then sputters and stalls. It will also run, sometimes, in park but when you shift to drive it jerks and seems like it starves out. It also jerks and bucks and shuts off when in drive. I've changed the fuel pump, cap and rotor. Any idea of what could be wrong
Did you ever find out what was wrong? mine is doing the same thing

Since: Feb 07

Jericho, NY

#177 Feb 5, 2007
1994 gmc sonoma. It will start when cold but after it warms up it shutters and stalls. It is hard to start and then sputters and stalls. It will also run, sometimes, in park but when you shift to drive it jerks and seems like it starves out. It also jerks and bucks and shuts off when in drive. I've changed the fuel pump, cap and rotor. Any idea of what could be wrong. the dealership has no idea with out taking apart the engine. please help!!

Since: Feb 07

Jericho, NY

#178 Feb 5, 2007
jon r wrote:
the 4 wheel drive on my '94 sonoma wont engage. could it be the vacuum actuator?
mine did the same thing. after serval mechanics and 2 trips to the dealer, it ended up being the transfer case control module. i had to order it from the dealer and it cost $340.00. i have a 1994 sonoma and it is located behind the plastic side cover located on the right side of the passenger floor panel inside the cab. if you need the 4x4 really bad you can disconnect the battery for about 15 minutes and reconnect it. you should be able to put it in 4x4 once or twice just for a quick fix..
Ben

Madison, WI

#179 Feb 6, 2007
First time poster-Long time GM owner. I got a 97 Sonoma with a headlight problem. The driving lights work fine but when you flip on the headlights-nothing. Yet the brights work, any suggestions?
asd

United States

#180 Feb 8, 2007
my 1989 s-15 has a 1991 motor i cant get it to start right off the bat every time when it was in my garage it started good then i took it out side a bit colder and it took more cranking to start it
asd

United States

#181 Feb 8, 2007
Steve McCanless wrote:
1994 gmc sonoma. It will start when cold but after it warms up it shutters and stalls. It is hard to start and then sputters and stalls. It will also run, sometimes, in park but when you shift to drive it jerks and seems like it starves out. It also jerks and bucks and shuts off when in drive. I've changed the fuel pump, cap and rotor. Any idea of what could be wrong. the dealership has no idea with out taking apart the engine. please help!!
COMPUTER
Sierra

College Station, TX

#182 Feb 11, 2007
I have a 2002 Sonoma, and when I get ready to start it, it turns over, but never cranks up....any idea what might be wrong with it??
GMC

United States

#183 Feb 14, 2007
1994 GMC SONOMA NEVER CHANGED ANYTHING,NOTHING AND ITS RUNNING LIKE NEW ! GO FIGURE
joe

Henderson, KY

#184 Feb 14, 2007
Dick wrote:
What tool can I use to get the #3 cylinder spark plug removed from a 2002 S10 pickup.
remove the bolts that hold the power steering gear box to the frame, move the power steering gear box up. This will move the steering column out of the way. I have done this on my s10 many times.
Pat

Mansfield, OH

#185 Feb 15, 2007
My 1999 S10, 5 speed, 2 wheel drive has started to make a clunk sound underneath, usually when I shift from first to second...It has a little over 70K's on it...what could it be?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius (Nov '10) 3 hr Canada Dicksmoker... 10,539
News Why don't we drive more electric vehicles? Sun Fed Up with Iluvm... 11
96 Blazer Transmission Problems (Oct '06) Aug 28 rhonda 138
News If Chevrolet Suburban Won't Start It Could Be S... (Jun '09) Aug 27 Chevy owner 167
99 chevy blazer 4x4 (Aug '06) Aug 24 guuu 49
News Honda Pilot Owners: Problems & Solutions (Feb '06) Aug 20 Taterhole 1,937
News $100 device can hack your car Aug 17 Solarman 1
More from around the web