Chevy S10/GMC S15-Sonoma: Problems & Solutions

There are 20 comments on the Dec 4, 2005, Edmunds.com story titled Chevy S10/GMC S15-Sonoma: Problems & Solutions. In it, Edmunds.com reports that:

I don't know if this will help, but I just did some radiator work on my '01 S-10 with a 4.3. You might have a cracked tank inside the radiator.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Edmunds.com.

“Treat each day as your last, ”

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#349 Jun 18, 2008
Dave,
Don't remove the trans lines just the bolts holding it in your way, whew! that would have sucked.
ken

United States

#350 Jun 22, 2008
i have a 2001 chevy s10 with the "vortec 2200" engine.( 4cyl 2.2 L) and my ABS light stays on. the brakes seem fine though. the roads were dry and the abs kicked in when i was driveing home, but the light wasnt on, i thought maybe there was gravel on the road. but the next mourning i drove to a gas station and it came on and did the same thing. checked my front brakes and they looked ok, i looked on the internet and seen that there r sensors, but there wasnt any pics showing what they looked like. so i dont know how to check or how to clean them off. also alot of the problems ive read about on here r common, and can happen to ANY kind of car period. so to the guy telling everyone that chevy is junk,and to buy a toyota can go to u know where. ive seen problems on brand new cars after a couple months. it just happens.

Location hidden

#351 Jun 22, 2008
Ken,

There's a lot of variables here, first there's a Bulletin No.: 02-05-25-006B that pertains to SLOW speed activation, is that what you have, SLOW?

What I've seen is that on most GM trucks big or a little itty bitty one like yours (lol) is that what actually happens is the corrosion between the plastic speed sensor and the steel hub pushes the sensor away from it's mounting surface, what that does is it changes the gap between them and causes the abs controller to think that one wheel is going faster than the other, Boom, activation occurs.

Now it could be a bad sensor, hum? but which one?
The only way to tell is to have the system scanned, that'll tell you what you need. Good Luck

ken

United States

#352 Jun 25, 2008
ok thanks wenis, but what exactly am i looking for? ive never had to do anything to the abs before, just change the pads and shoes, thats it. i dont have a clue on what any of these sensors look like. from what ive read i guess there is another hose or line that goes to it, other then the brake line itself?? like i said i couldnt find any pics yet. like this mourning started my truck, normally the abs light will be on (for about a week now) but it wasnt, pulled out of my drive way and then it kicked on. same thing happened when i pulled in the parking lot, it was off then came on after i started driving. it all the "dummy" lights came on as normal for the system check when i turned the key then went off.any ideas?

Location hidden

#353 Jun 26, 2008
Yes I do, you said when you pulled out it came on, you also said it does it when you set the parking brake, Question, is the light a red light or does it say ABS?

I think you might just be low on brake fluid, the master cylinder has a "I call it a bobber" it's a sensor to tell you just that LOW, if it's indeed low it'll show that by turning the light on when you drive and use the brakes or by turning the truck while moving.

Check the level in the master, if it's low fill it to the line on the side of the reservoir, no more than that though, if its too full there's no place for expansion when the fluid heats up, thus it'll apply the brakes for you, not good!

Keep in touch.
ken

United States

#354 Jun 26, 2008
it says ABS. the fluid in the master cylinder is full. i havent seen any leaks of any kind. im very paranoid about all the fluids, i check them all the time. i havent had to add any brake fluid in forever.i know about engines and how to change the brakes, but ABS im clueless on.

Location hidden

#355 Jun 26, 2008
ABS light, ok then we'll go with that, sounds like it can see that there's different speeds coming from both front wheels, like I said, hard part is figuring out which side. You had said earlier that there's two lines coming off the back of the wheel, really one is a protected wire harness from the sensor.

One example: Left side tells the ABS control module that it's doing 10 miles an hour and the right side is 2 miles an hour, that's one reason the light will come on, and there's many more probable causes.

Like I explained in an earlier post "the wheel speed sensors are located on the back side of the wheel bearing" the hub and bearing have to come off to remove the sensor, a stinker with two wheel drive and a real snot with a four wheel drive.

The probable cause is rust between the sensor and the hub itself, may just need cleaning.

Need a code to go any farther so Get-r-Scanned.
Todd

United States

#356 Jul 2, 2008
I have a 99 Sonoma w/2.2 It is shifting in and out of overdrive at all speeds. if i let off the gas or accelerate it shifts into overdrive for a few seconds until I level the speed out and then it does it again, Replace the two solenoids in the tranny for the on/off lock up as well as the lockup solenoids, any ideas?
Char

Ottawa, Canada

#357 Jul 3, 2008
Help. I have a 2003 sonoma, having problems with drive train, some far chanced front 2 U joints, still have a flapping noise and now a vibration.
At any speed from 20 up to 80, do not want to go any faster.
The hanger bearing looks good. Not sure if this is be lose moving or tight. This truck as a total of five U joints, 2 in the front, one over hanger bearing, 2 at back. Drive staff was marked full
length to install , same way as it came out.
Starting to cost money and my patients.
Were there any recalls about , hanger bearing not being centre in the truck, or anything else.
Please help.
Thanks
Char

Ottawa, Canada

#358 Jul 9, 2008
Hi again
I was just told I need a new drive shaft, cost $2,400.
may also need a new hanger bearing $167.00
What next ???
Char

Location hidden

#359 Jul 10, 2008
Char,

If I remember right there was a note on this type of problem from GM but I think it was the full size trucks only.

Normally with your type of problem it's caused by the rear u-joint assembly, it's like two joints wrapped up in it's own little housing, but it's not the u-joints it's the centering ball and pin in between them, rusts up and wares out quickly.

The part can be replaced but not repaired by the home mechanic.

Up dar in Canada I'm not sure where you'd find one, down here we have a place to purchase them, huh? now that I think about it you may get it cheaper from here, our buck ain't worth nothing anymore.

Good Luck Char

Todd

United States

#360 Jul 12, 2008
I have a 99 Sonoma w/2.2 It is shifting in and out of overdrive at all speeds. if i let off the gas or accelerate it shifts into overdrive for a few seconds until I level the speed out and then it does it again, Replace the two solenoids in the tranny for the on/off lock up as well as the lockup solenoids, any ideas?

Location hidden

#361 Jul 12, 2008
Todd,

As usual there's many things that can cause this, a few things that are possibilities are TPS, throttle position sensor out of specs or just a bad spot in the sweep section of the sensor itself.

Another possibility is something as simple as the thermostat, it tells the computer to allow the lock up into overdrive once the engine is up to operating temp, if it's cold or the computer sees that it's a lower temp the up the shift is delayed, or in your situation engages and then disengages, the stat toggles right at the temperature point that allows up shift.

Now, there's things like the VSS, vehicle speed sensor, it tells the computer how fast your going (of course) and if it's not telling the computer or is relaying a wrong speed or erratic speed then again you will have an erratic shift situation.

Well that's just a few things that can cause this OD shift problem, but remember there's others like wire connections, transmission problems internally, an engine running lean maybe which is being caused by low fuel pressure or a plugged fuel filter, vacuum leaks and the list goes on.

Good Luck and let me know what you find, OK?
derrick

Medina, OH

#362 Jul 16, 2008
i have a whinnihg trnsmission when i let the clutch go it whines? its not my throw out bearring because i replaced it any info?

Location hidden

#363 Jul 20, 2008
Derrick,
When you replaced the throw out bearing did you install a new pilot bearing in the end of the crank shaft? That's a possibility too!

Other than that the only thing left is the transmission it's self, out of fluid or a bad throw out bearing .
Bernie

AOL

#364 Jul 21, 2008
I have a 1997 S-10 LS with a 2.2L automatic trans. I had to replace the transmission,water pump,fan clutch,and belt about 2 months ago.Now when I reach 55mph to 65mph the headlights and dash lights flicker or blink at this speed when I reach 70mph they stop blinking and stay normal. Any idea what is causing this?

Location hidden

#365 Jul 21, 2008
Bernie,

This is a good one, the only thing I can think of would be that when you put this trans back in that you might have left the ground wires loose on the bell housing, or maybe missed one when you bolted them back on.

Something I would try is: leave the truck in park or neutral, bring the rpm's up to about where they would be at 55 - 65 mph, see if it does that thing with the lights, if they blink then it could be connection problems on the engine end. I'm not sure what you took apart when doing the other work but if it didn't do it before you worked on it then it's something you did, recheck your work, good luck...
Bernie

AOL

#366 Jul 23, 2008
Thanks for the reply,I will check it out.
brooke

Sevierville, TN

#367 Aug 3, 2008
i have a hole in the radiator. what part do i need to look for to replace

Location hidden

#368 Aug 9, 2008
WOW!

Um I'm going to guess ? um... a radiator. lol

What are you asking?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius (Nov '10) 3 min Nasty Canadian 10,517
News Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions (Jun '06) 3 hr wes 2,760
Who is BEST: Ford, Chevy or Dodge??? (Mar '08) 5 hr Elmo110 61
News If Chevrolet Suburban Won't Start It Could Be S... (Jun '09) Apr 20 skilou 148
News New markets, production for GM Korea Apr 19 John Jeffery 1
News Honda Pilot Owners: Problems & Solutions (Feb '06) Apr 16 missic 1,925
News Blazer Electric Rear Hatch Will not Open (Sep '06) Apr 13 Cajun 58
More from around the web