Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & S...

Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions

There are 2895 comments on the Edmunds.com story from Feb 20, 2006, titled Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions. In it, Edmunds.com reports that:

Created by KarenS in the Maintenance & Repair Message Board. Your Host is mr_shiftright What is this discussion about? Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet Malibu Maxx, Sedan, Electric, Engine # 2962 of 2971 Visor and ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Edmunds.com.

hauling a trailer

Calgary, Canada

#1332 Jun 24, 2008
J IRVIN wrote:
When I turn my a/c on my engine cuts out and wants to stall out and if your in gear sitting at a stop light it will die the rmps drop out. I have checked for vacuum leaks, freeon pressure, and changed out oxygen sensor. Can any one help me or give any advice?
Just a thought.---- A/C pump could be seizing up when you switch on the A/C. This would slow the engine or stall it. Check the belt to see if it is very hot or has been burning when the engine stalls.
CHRABO

Aiken, SC

#1333 Jun 24, 2008
Merwyn Chase wrote:
<quoted text>I have had two malibu, 1998 and 2003. Both required intake manifold gasket set replaced on both. This is a common problem with this engine, normally after 75,000 miles.
Issue with emergency lights is a recall problem, ask your dealer - I had the same problem.
hauling a trailer

Calgary, Canada

#1334 Jun 24, 2008
OK, now for my problem. Got back from holidays and found my battery dead---had left radar detector plugged in which drained the battery. Recharged battery and everything was ok for 2 days. Suddenly the A/C, fan, power windows and sun roof doesn't operate. Checked all fuses and relays etc and they are ok. I need immediate help as I have to drive with the door partly open to get air and not pass out from heat stroke.
Had this same problem 2 years ago and it corrected itself after a week. Thanks.
Phyllis

Edison, NJ

#1335 Jun 25, 2008
Took the car out today to dentist started fine, a/c ran cold, came out two hours later, car would not start or crank, had to call mechanic for a charge, car started, but a/c wouldnt, light blinks then goes off, its happened one or two times before, please someone any ideas, i am freaking that its the compressor and its hot here now. please please i am a woman, i need your help. thank you oh sorry 2005 malibu v-6
Phyllis

Edison, NJ

#1336 Jun 25, 2008
just getting ready to trade in for a 2008 lz. no serious problems with the car at all. 28,000 miles on it, good mileage, heat and a.c up to now have been perfecto.
hauling a trailer

Calgary, Canada

#1337 Jun 25, 2008
hauling a trailer wrote:
OK, now for my problem. Got back from holidays and found my battery dead---had left radar detector plugged in which drained the battery. Recharged battery and everything was ok for 2 days. Suddenly the A/C, fan, power windows and sun roof doesn't operate. Checked all fuses and relays etc and they are ok. I need immediate help as I have to drive with the door partly open to get air and not pass out from heat stroke.
Had this same problem 2 years ago and it corrected itself after a week. Thanks.
In answer to my own problem above. Re: no A/C, air, power windows and sunroof not working. As of today everything works fine again. What seems to have corrected this problem !!---- as I was driving the ABS light came on for a few seconds and went off triggering everything to function again.
So this is telling me that somehow this problem is connected to the ABS system --- probably a defective wheel sensor or loose connection. I was having problems with the ABS for the past year---ABS light coming on on a regular basis while driving. I hope this enlightens our readers who may have similar problems.
GMR

Barrie, Canada

#1338 Jun 25, 2008
hauling a trailer wrote:
<quoted text>
In answer to my own problem above. Re: no A/C, air, power windows and sunroof not working. As of today everything works fine again. What seems to have corrected this problem !!---- as I was driving the ABS light came on for a few seconds and went off triggering everything to function again.
So this is telling me that somehow this problem is connected to the ABS system --- probably a defective wheel sensor or loose connection. I was having problems with the ABS for the past year---ABS light coming on on a regular basis while driving. I hope this enlightens our readers who may have similar problems.
Bill, ABS coming on while driving can be caused by faulty wheel bearing. Had this on my 2000 LS and tried cleaning electrics etc with no luck. Guess it must have been the sensor which fortunateiy is included in the new bearing assembly.
Phyllis

Edison, NJ

#1339 Jun 25, 2008
checked thar car, started right up, a/c went on cold, but what would cause battery to discharge like that, a.c light not stay on, what am i lookin for? thanks

ps we had put gas in car when we left the house. i am so confused and dont know who to go to. thank you. p
Josh

Charlotte, NC

#1340 Jun 26, 2008
hello everyone

I have a 2000 chevy malibu and my left tail light is not working, its like if the wiring was mixed up. Water was getting into my tail light and burnt out the plug so i bought a new one, the only thing is the cables were all gray with no color, I tried to connect it like the opposite of right tail light and now i have funny things happening with my left tail light. can anyone help me out and tell me what order the wires should go into the passenger side tail light plug

thanks in advance

Josh
eric

Lexington, KY

#1341 Jun 26, 2008
i have replaced my radio in my mabiliu with a nav system which i like i had somweone put it in and it did well for around a week i also have subwoofers and a amp but i have now ran into a problem after around a month of puitting it in it has the paslock system cut on and not let me start my car help
hauling a trailer

Calgary, Canada

#1342 Jun 26, 2008
GMR wrote:
<quoted text>
Bill, ABS coming on while driving can be caused by faulty wheel bearing. Had this on my 2000 LS and tried cleaning electrics etc with no luck. Guess it must have been the sensor which fortunateiy is included in the new bearing assembly.
Hi Mike. Thanks for your input re: ABS. Anyway its time to get rid of this beast as soon as possible as I have almost 120,000 miles on it. I have been thinking of a newer Toyota Corolla for low maintance and excellent gas milage. Any ideas. Thanks.
GMR

Barrie, Canada

#1343 Jun 26, 2008
hauling a trailer wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Mike. Thanks for your input re: ABS. Anyway its time to get rid of this beast as soon as possible as I have almost 120,000 miles on it. I have been thinking of a newer Toyota Corolla for low maintance and excellent gas milage. Any ideas. Thanks.
Wait for the howls of outrage but having worked, as an Engineering Contractor, in Several North American Japanese and the ` Big Three' auto plants I could not see any clear lead for quality of design; workmanship or work ethic !
My 2000 Malibu's bodywork & paint are in good shape; it is within a few klicks of 300,000 km and apart from the inlet manifold leaking; window switch,fuel pump, front wheel bearings and A/C problems it has given very nice ride with good service; Dealership is another, unprintable, matter.
Personal favorites my family has owned from new, in preffered order are :- Dodge Colt badged Mitsubishi; Corolla; Tempo; Malibu; Civic( Engine self destructed at 250,000km but used engine added another 300,000 for 550,000km life then sold while still running good !) Tempo; Citation ( Mechanically sound but `Friday afternoon' build.
monique L

Tampa, FL

#1344 Jun 26, 2008
2005 chevy malibu 4c 2.2 Lsedan. 2 places i was sent to fixed the same thing. and still my car steering wheel shakes like a hammock. It sways real bad to the right and the a little to left. when it goes to the right i have to use 2 hands to control the car. my warranty on car, i can't believe paid the same repair from 2 different places twice.
the chevy dealer was the 2nd place, now they say because the car continues with issue, that it needs to have a "motor"module steering done @$900 not including labor. Warranty won't pay for that.
From the first shop the did alignment adujust of front toe, castor, and camber, replaced rack and pinion and door lock switch. Then the chevy dealer said i could have gotten myself and my kids killed in that car because all the bolts were loose on the steering gear. they replace evap vent solenoid(??)what's that!
anyway, i can't pay for that but, i need my car to be safe, i work two jobs, am a single parent.please any one out there who knows in laymens term what's a "motor module steering" thingy. Help desperate mother who needs to keep her jobs.
GMR

Barrie, Canada

#1345 Jun 27, 2008
hauling a trailer wrote:
<quoted text>
Oops, Sorry Bill, I listed Tempo twice; it was definately at least third in preference. I gave it to a niece who took it to 400,000 km before the original ! clutch wore out.
Alex Arizona

Mesa, AZ

#1346 Jun 27, 2008
Just replaced the compressor on my 99 malibu and now the fuses keep popping. Any suggestions?
peace09

Lac Du Flambeau, WI

#1347 Jun 28, 2008
how would i apply rear brakes to my chevy malibu?
GMR

Barrie, Canada

#1348 Jun 28, 2008
peace09 wrote:
how would i apply rear brakes to my chevy malibu?
They are normally applied at the same time as the front brakes whenever you press the brake pedal. If you want to apply only the rear brakes, bootlegger turns ?, then you have to use the `Emergency ' brake; however to let it off on the Malibu you have to press the Emergency pedal a second time . Suggest you don't practise this on a public road or with other vehicles around you !!!
David

Hamilton, Canada

#1349 Jun 29, 2008
02 malibu wrote:
<quoted text>
the turn signal indicator, costs about 300.00 CDN plus taxes
I bought the flasher from GM cost me $ 45.00. It took me 45 minutes to change it. The flasher is just behind the emergency stop button. Once you take the plastic cover off then you can disconnect it. I have the same problem as you do. Changing the flasher did not solve my problem. I think there is some short inside the switch at the steering column.
Joe

AOL

#1350 Jul 1, 2008
My Grandparents (both in their 90's)have a 2004 Mallibu v6 with 70k. They are describing a noise that sounds to me like a bad c/v joint, clicking on turns and it is fairly faint. If the radio is on at all they cant hear it.

Is the Mailibu prone to c/v-axle failure, espacially at this low mileage? Any input would be helpful.
GARY

AOL

#1351 Jul 3, 2008
second time i washed my new 08 (w/sunroof) the right rear floor filled with water.dealer has no clue.it's been at the dealer 3 days and they can find nothing wrong.im waiting for new carpet,so i can ruin it also.any one had this problem?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owner's hangout (Mar '06) 16 hr bildacious 653
hhr check engine light (Jun '08) Nov 29 Deester66 112
News Electric Chevrolet Bolt to go 238 miles on a ch... Nov 29 wxxyz 2
shutting down while driving - 2001 suburban Nov 28 jpet 2
News Chevy Impala Owners File Class Action Lawsuit A... (Jul '11) Nov 27 Mona 57
News Honda Pilot Owners: Problems & Solutions (Feb '06) Nov 27 Ekan 1,976
News Gas Guzzlers Take the Spotlight at the Normally... Nov 20 Sam 2
More from around the web