Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & S...

Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions

There are 2942 comments on the Edmunds.com story from Feb 20, 2006, titled Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions. In it, Edmunds.com reports that:

Created by KarenS in the Maintenance & Repair Message Board. Your Host is mr_shiftright What is this discussion about? Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet Malibu Maxx, Sedan, Electric, Engine # 2962 of 2971 Visor and ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Edmunds.com.

GMR

Barrie, Canada

#1313 Jun 16, 2008
Debra wrote:
My 2001 Malibu's control ventilation-force of air has stopped working on level 1 & 2 of 5. Also, front end shakes when I get to about 65 mph. Anyone have a solution? thx
Ventilation problem is probably the Blower Resistor Pack. This is located on supply air duct just above front passengers toes. about edge of carpeting. Buy the new unit first so you know what the connector end looks like as the main body is buried in the duct. Needs a small hex wrench; I cut slots in screw heads for ease of re-assembly and future changes.
A speed specific shaking is usually a wheel balance problem; if balancing does not fix it check tie rod ends first then Suspension ball joints.
02 malibu

Charlottetown, Canada

#1314 Jun 16, 2008
Nick wrote:
I recently started to notice that my 2002 Malibu would make the turn signal clicking noise without me engaging the turn signal. I hear the noise but see no light, nor do I see my actual lights blinking. The signal works fine when I actually do signal. I have narrowed the problem down to what I believe is a poor connection somewhere, because if I touch the turn signal ever so slightly, I hear the noise (car was parked when I did this). I am tempted to remove the plastic covering just below the steering wheel, but I wanted to find out other people's opinion. Is this a wise thing to do, or should I leave it to the pros? I should say that I am no car expert but I can quite comfortable working on cars and am adept at working with mechanical/electrical things. Thanks in advance.
the turn signal indicator, costs about 300.00 CDN plus taxes
eric

Dayton, OH

#1315 Jun 17, 2008
louis wrote:
I have a 2004 malibu. The door look system does not work proper. The side lock control button also does not work.
When I park my car, I have to lock my car by hand. The key can only control driver side door lock.But the unlock system works, I can use my key to unlock all doors together. I don't know why I can't lock all door at the same time. And even when the car is not being locked, the display shows the car locked.
you have to go into the controls threw the cd player it has to where you change the locking system
elisa

Miami, FL

#1316 Jun 17, 2008
My chevy malibu is a 2003. The problem i am having is the air conditioner light blinks off and on. I went to a air conditioner repair place and they told my they could not fix it because it was electrical. Has anyone had a similar problem with their car? And if so how did you fix the issue?
randy

Oklahoma City, OK

#1317 Jun 17, 2008
i own a 2000 chevy malibu, about 4 days ago my a/c blower motor would stop blowing strongly and just die out. if the car is left over an hour with out running i notice it will blow fine and then stop blowing in less than 15 minutes. it is almost as if the a/c is freezing up. could it be the blower motor, a relay or a resistor?
Leebowski

Big Rapids, MI

#1318 Jun 18, 2008
I have a 1998 Malibu need to know where to find the intake transmission speed sensor. The car shifts hard and varies speed. I know it's not a bad transmission. Please help!!!!!!!!!

Thank You
paul

Alameda, CA

#1319 Jun 18, 2008
my 2005 malibu with the 2.2 ecotec engine recently wont start no check engine light is not on did code scan came out p-0171 system to lean(bank1) could this be a fuel pump problem and where is the fuel pump located at on this vehicle.
GMR

Barrie, Canada

#1320 Jun 18, 2008
paul wrote:
my 2005 malibu with the 2.2 ecotec engine recently wont start no check engine light is not on did code scan came out p-0171 system to lean(bank1) could this be a fuel pump problem and where is the fuel pump located at on this vehicle.
The fuel pump is in the fuel tank for cooling and self lubrication. There is a pressure test point, covered by a screw cap, on the fuel supply to inlet rail. If these are all good then check the O2 Sensor. Be surprised if all 3 injectors in bank 1 failed simultaneously but would bear testing.
Drew

Independence, OH

#1321 Jun 19, 2008
Monica wrote:
I have a 2005 malibu and am having much of the same problems.
Back in November I noticed that it was "beeping" as you stated. Then the locks started acting up and it began honking when I locked it by remote. Right now it is sitting at my place of business and will not start. This is the third time that this has happened. It turns over but will not crank. I had it towed a few days ago but the shop could find nothing wrong and it cranked for them. The first time this happened they replaced the battery. Still beeped and honked though. If anyone has any advice that would be great! I have got to make a decision about it tomorrow morning! <quoted text>
Not this this may help you but my issues are similer. Only the Theft System light comes on when you try to crank it. I believe that I have found the issue. It's the Neutral position switch. Wiggle the Shifter. all guages should turn on. If not then turn key off and turn key on. Guages will be restored. wait 3 seconds and crank.
My "beeps" are in a series. 1 beep nothing for 10 seconds, 3 beeps nothing for 10 seconds, 4 beeps, nothing for 8 seconds. Repeat. I suppose it could also be 4-1-3 or 3-4-1. I don't have remote transmitters as they weren't supplied when I purchased the vehicle.
J IRVIN

Gray Hawk, KY

#1322 Jun 19, 2008
When I turn my a/c on my engine cuts out and wants to stall out and if your in gear sitting at a stop light it will die the rmps drop out. I have checked for vacuum leaks, freeon pressure, and changed out oxygen sensor. Can any one help me or give any advice?
John M

Thomasville, NC

#1323 Jun 20, 2008
I recently had my 2002 Malibu towed to a dealership, as it would crank all day long but would never start. They suspected the fuel pump, and replaced it. Still, the same thing was happening. The car simply wouldn't start.
This time, they found the real problem, not the result of the problem - an ignition sensor in the theft deterrent system! When this system is activated, it apparently limits the injectors from providing fuel to the engine, causing it not to start. So if your Theft light has popped on every now and then for no reason, eventually this can leave you stranded! Check with a dealer on this one.
Marja

Cinebar, WA

#1324 Jun 21, 2008
kris wrote:
<quoted text>
tapp on the hazzard button a couple of times this works for me
Mine does the same thing. When the turn signal turns off(which is does constantly while driving) I just the hazards on quickly then turn them off and the signal works again.
dennisblaze

Elysburg, PA

#1325 Jun 21, 2008
mary wrote:
<quoted text>
mine has blow 3x --i do believe that took a fuse with 10amp I put in a 15 and hasn't blown since no other electrical problems
under right headlight
randy

Oklahoma City, OK

#1326 Jun 22, 2008
this has to do with my 2000 chevy malibu's a/c that i thought was freezing up. well the blower motor resistor was bad and i replaced it . the a/c blowed good for 1 day then stopped again. i had to take it to the auto shop and found out that the blower motor was bad and needed replacing. my a/c now blows great again and all the settings 1-5 work again. it cost me $40 for the resistor, $45 for the blower motor and about $130 for the labor.
tom wilson

Whittier, CA

#1327 Jun 22, 2008
have 2005 maxx with dex-cool in the radiator. has anyone had problems with that coolant?
roger c

Warwick, RI

#1328 Jun 23, 2008
rose marie wrote:
<quoted text>
I just replaced the fuse for the 3rd time but I thought it was from slaming my hand on the horn everytime someone in Quebec fails to stop at a stop sign or red light when I am coming down the highway at 70k. Failure of the horn is directly related to the inability to stop on a dime. If anyone can tell me it is a real trouble, not something I created, would be glad to know.
i also have this problem with several others did ever find out what it was if so can you posted thanks
hauling a trailer

Calgary, Canada

#1329 Jun 24, 2008
peter wrote:
I have a malibu maxx rsa system in my car , I purchased a malibu rse dvd system and installed it myself , but it doesn't power up. Does it need to be programed to the radio how do I fix it so it powers up?
Go back to page 25, 23 March for stereo/radio fix.
hauling a trailer

Calgary, Canada

#1330 Jun 24, 2008
peter wrote:
I have a malibu maxx rsa system in my car , I purchased a malibu rse dvd system and installed it myself , but it doesn't power up. Does it need to be programed to the radio how do I fix it so it powers up?
Sorry, Ignore my previous answer to your problem--- it was meant for another reader with resetting their stero/radio.
hauling a trailer

Calgary, Canada

#1331 Jun 24, 2008
melinda mayfield wrote:
I Have a 98 chevy malibu, and I really need the code to unlock my radio. I would have to go to the dealer and they are going to charge me 45 dollars I am a single mom that is alot of money considering the gas prices. Please someone help me.
Go back to page 25, on March 23 for the fix you are looking for.
hauling a trailer

Calgary, Canada

#1332 Jun 24, 2008
J IRVIN wrote:
When I turn my a/c on my engine cuts out and wants to stall out and if your in gear sitting at a stop light it will die the rmps drop out. I have checked for vacuum leaks, freeon pressure, and changed out oxygen sensor. Can any one help me or give any advice?
Just a thought.---- A/C pump could be seizing up when you switch on the A/C. This would slow the engine or stall it. Check the belt to see if it is very hot or has been burning when the engine stalls.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News If Chevrolet Suburban Won't Start It Could Be S... (Jun '09) Nov 18 Anxious 276
News GM Expands Recall to Fix Truck, SUV Brakes (Mar '06) Nov 18 BSparky 82
02 Monte Carlo as won't Start! Help Nov 18 Shanice the Boss 1
2001 monte carlo ss Nov 17 Mike 1
98 chevy Silverado z71 4wd Nov 14 Humphrey Lane 1
News Ask the Auto Doctor (Mar '06) Nov 13 Randy r 1,556
News Honda Pilot Owners: Problems & Solutions (Feb '06) Nov 9 Tanveer 1,997
More from around the web