Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & S...

Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions

There are 2928 comments on the Edmunds.com story from Feb 20, 2006, titled Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions. In it, Edmunds.com reports that:

Created by KarenS in the Maintenance & Repair Message Board. Your Host is mr_shiftright What is this discussion about? Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet Malibu Maxx, Sedan, Electric, Engine # 2962 of 2971 Visor and ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Edmunds.com.

Tim

United States

#1026 Jan 9, 2008
I have a 2002 Chevy Malibu, and I have had many problems with it. with the warrenty up, Chevy (GM) won't do anything about it. I had to have the intake manifold replaced. There was brown sludge in the radiator and reservoir. My car bucks and sputters. These are the main problems right now...but there are more i could list. GM is not willing to fix a manufacture defect that they know about. They will not stand by their customers, esp. if the car is out of warrenty.
bill

Calgary, Canada

#1027 Jan 9, 2008
Shannan wrote:
How can you manually turn of headlamps on a 2004 Chevy Malibu? Please help
On the 1998 malibu by applying the emergency brake before switching on the ignition keeps the headlights off when you start the engine. When the emergency brake is released the lights will come on again. Not sure if this applies to your vehicle.
bill

Calgary, Canada

#1028 Jan 9, 2008
Tim wrote:
I have a 2002 Chevy Malibu, and I have had many problems with it. with the warrenty up, Chevy (GM) won't do anything about it. I had to have the intake manifold replaced. There was brown sludge in the radiator and reservoir. My car bucks and sputters. These are the main problems right now...but there are more i could list. GM is not willing to fix a manufacture defect that they know about. They will not stand by their customers, esp. if the car is out of warrenty.
Sounds like an elect problem and possibly a fuel delivery problem---could be faulty plugs, spark plug wire(s) disconnected or damaged, ignition coil faulty or weak, oxygen sensor or others, clogged fuel filter, dirty fuel injectors, low fuel pressure (fuel pump), emission or engine control system faulty, dirty air filter, faulty EGR valve or a multitude of other problems. Start by checking the ovious first---spark plugs and wires for proper spark. New air filter. Put a can of injector cleaner in the gas tank. If this doesn't help then its off to the dealer for a proper diagnosis.
fxbuilder

Los Angeles, CA

#1029 Jan 9, 2008
97 malibu, I just replaced the 2 rear cylinders and can't seem to get the fittings to stop leaking. I put in new copper washers and the cylinders. Does anyone have a suggestion on what to look for?

“Dont hateME cause my car's HOT”

Since: Sep 07

St Louis Missouri

#1030 Jan 10, 2008
Well I,along with some here,was right.It was my rotors.The brakes were fine.I had a friends' husband do it.I know if I(being a female)would have took it some where.They would of told me it needs brakes and it needs this and that.It would have been way over $300 I'm sure.The rotors were just around $50.He also told me,the motor says it is a v-6(2004 Malibu)but he had to take the rotors back cause GM has the front end all set up with v-4.The rotors were too big.He said either that,or they put the wrong thing on the motor.I keep forgetting to look for my title to see what it says.He said it is not unusual for them to have left over parts and just put what ever on the car,and that Chevelete and GM suck.He also says my next car purchase I should make sure the rotors are a bigger size,cause they just wear out so fast.
Ecks

Portland, OR

#1031 Jan 10, 2008
The FL, FR & BL blinkers are all out along with all hazard lights. But the BR blinker still works fine. I know very little about cars other then how to replace a fuse and check my oil. What do you guys think is most likely the problem?
Erich

United States

#1032 Jan 10, 2008
bill wrote:
Erick. Sounds like you might have a vacuum leak. A simple way to check is to get a can of brake cleaner spray and spray all vacuum hose connections and around intake manifold gaskets. If there is a leak you will notice the engine sound and rpm change. Only do one area at a time and listen.
Regarding the fuel line leak put your nose to work as you can uaually smell a fuel leak as it evaporates from the hot engine. Other than that you have to remove the intake manifold to see what is happening.
Thanks Bill! I appreciate the reply. When you say I will notice the engine sound and rpm change, do you mean after I spray it with the brake cleaner? Or will the brake cleaner produce bubbles where the air is leaking? I have a strong belief that its a vacuum leak at the gaskets, but I could be wrong. Do you know which hoses on a 98 malibu are vacuum hoses? I would guess the one's the connect to the engine.

THanks for your help!

Erich
Jakey

Oakland, MD

#1033 Jan 10, 2008
Same car and year, same problem, same story from GM. Went to aftermarket rotors on front. They warped prematurely and were replaced under the part warranty(I had to pay labor). So far, so good at 73K miles. But when summer heat comes, I'll expect more problems.
Robert wrote:
My '04 Maxx has had the rotors turned for a 4th time in 65,000 miles. Chevy dealer and Chevy customer service line offer no solutions, only double-talk.
Brakes will pulsate in another 5,000 miles, guaranteed, and they'll turn the rotors again.
Enough is enough--it's recall time Chevrolet
bill

Calgary, Canada

#1034 Jan 10, 2008
Erich wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Bill! I appreciate the reply. When you say I will notice the engine sound and rpm change, do you mean after I spray it with the brake cleaner? Or will the brake cleaner produce bubbles where the air is leaking? I have a strong belief that its a vacuum leak at the gaskets, but I could be wrong. Do you know which hoses on a 98 malibu are vacuum hoses? I would guess the one's the connect to the engine.
THanks for your help!
Erich
There are several smaller hoses that are vacuum hoses plus the large one from the air filter to the intake manifold. Check that all clamps are tight especially the large intake as this will throw the computer off as it measures the amount of air to be mixed with the fuel. When you spray along the intake gaskets and there is a vacuum leak, chances the engine rpm will either smooth out momentarily or slow down depending if the spray gets sucked in. Maybe you could have someone watch the rpm tach for a change when you spray the gaskets. Anyway this may not tell you much but it worth a cheap try. Check the pcv valve that its operating properly and isn't stuck (Just to the right of oil filler cap)
pedro

United States

#1035 Jan 10, 2008
i have a 98 malibu and i found out that it needed 2 new wheel hub which the abs sensor are one so if u have a bad sensor u have to replace the whole unit. if its the wiring its 189 per side and its a dealer only unless you go to the junk yard
mowner

Minneapolis, MN

#1036 Jan 10, 2008
pedro wrote:
i have a 98 malibu and i found out that it needed 2 new wheel hub which the abs sensor are one so if u have a bad sensor u have to replace the whole unit. if its the wiring its 189 per side and its a dealer only unless you go to the junk yard
New Timkin brand hub assemblies with sensor are available for about $120 from AutoZone. I replaced one of mine on a 2001 Malibu when my ABS light stayed on all the time. The sensor impedance at the wheel measured infinite ohms (suppose to be 1100-1300 ohms according to the service manual). I was surprised, it only took me about 25 minutes to change out the hub assembly from start to finish.

“Dont hateME cause my car's HOT”

Since: Sep 07

St Louis Missouri

#1037 Jan 11, 2008
Jakey wrote:
Same car and year, same problem, same story from GM. Went to aftermarket rotors on front. They warped prematurely and were replaced under the part warranty(I had to pay labor). So far, so good at 73K miles. But when summer heat comes, I'll expect more problems.
<quoted text>
It's because your rotors are probably for a v-4 instead of a v-6.They are smaller and will wear out faster.Read my comment,a few comments back.
bill

Calgary, Canada

#1038 Jan 11, 2008
mowner wrote:
<quoted text>
New Timkin brand hub assemblies with sensor are available for about $120 from AutoZone. I replaced one of mine on a 2001 Malibu when my ABS light stayed on all the time. The sensor impedance at the wheel measured infinite ohms (suppose to be 1100-1300 ohms according to the service manual). I was surprised, it only took me about 25 minutes to change out the hub assembly from start to finish.
Good info
PatB

Riverton, IL

#1039 Jan 11, 2008
Mike wrote:
Has anyone else seen issues with a bad intake manifold gasket? My 2000 3.1L V6 was leaking so bad I would have to top off the coolant all the time. It cost me $500 to have it replaced. The mechanic said he sees it all the time. Also have the same problem with my hazard switch where the turn signals work intermittently and the fan speed selector doesn't work on speeds 1 and 2. It's a real shame to see a $20k car be worth less than $5k 7 years later. I don't think I'll be buying another GM anytime soon.
There is a class action law suit(sp?) in progress now - temporary agreement with GM.
Kim

Inver Grove Heights, MN

#1040 Jan 12, 2008
I replaced the battery in my 2004 Malibu and the odometer reset itself from the actual miles to zero. How do I get the actual miles back? Thank you.
Erich

Cincinnati, OH

#1041 Jan 12, 2008
bill wrote:
<quoted text>
There are several smaller hoses that are vacuum hoses plus the large one from the air filter to the intake manifold. Check that all clamps are tight especially the large intake as this will throw the computer off as it measures the amount of air to be mixed with the fuel. When you spray along the intake gaskets and there is a vacuum leak, chances the engine rpm will either smooth out momentarily or slow down depending if the spray gets sucked in. Maybe you could have someone watch the rpm tach for a change when you spray the gaskets. Anyway this may not tell you much but it worth a cheap try. Check the pcv valve that its operating properly and isn't stuck (Just to the right of oil filler cap)
Ok, I checked it today, and it sounds like there is a hissing coming from somewhere near the intake manifold or fuel rail just near the 6th cylinder (bottom right of the engine). Further, my car continues to throw a "misfire on cylinder 6" and "system running lean" codes. I'm not entirely sure where the vacuum leak is though. Could it be the fuel injector that is making the hissing noise and producing the misfire at idle speed? Or is it a vacuum leak at the gasket? Any ideas?

Erich
Bush

Montmorenci, IN

#1042 Jan 12, 2008
Kim wrote:
I replaced the battery in my 2004 Malibu and the odometer reset itself from the actual miles to zero. How do I get the actual miles back? Thank you.
You work for a battery company rite?
bill

Calgary, Canada

#1043 Jan 12, 2008
Erich wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, I checked it today, and it sounds like there is a hissing coming from somewhere near the intake manifold or fuel rail just near the 6th cylinder (bottom right of the engine). Further, my car continues to throw a "misfire on cylinder 6" and "system running lean" codes. I'm not entirely sure where the vacuum leak is though. Could it be the fuel injector that is making the hissing noise and producing the misfire at idle speed? Or is it a vacuum leak at the gasket? Any ideas?
Erich
I had a similar problem with an engine miss--- found that the plug wire had a pin hole in the rubber boot and was arching to the engine block. I replaced the plug wire and the problem was solved. Check with one of your auto parts supply store as some of them will do a free check with a hand held computer to pinpoint the miss. Now that you know there is a hiss get a piece of rubber hose, hold one end to your ear and prod around with the other end and you will probably find where the problem is. Good luck.
bill

Calgary, Canada

#1044 Jan 12, 2008
Kim wrote:

Don't worry about it---you now have a vehicle with low milage. Chances are it will reset itself.
Kim

Inver Grove Heights, MN

#1045 Jan 13, 2008
bill wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't worry about it---you now have a vehicle with low milage. Chances are it will reset itself.
Thank you Bill....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius (Nov '10) 9 hr Root Exposed 11,782
News Mysterious 'Spaceship' Parked on NYC Street Tur... Thu walleye e coyote 4
News Continue reading Aug 16 Solarman 1
News VW crossover EV to offer US drivers a Model Y a... Aug 15 Solarman 1
News Fisker EMotion coming with huge 145 kWh pack Aug 8 Concave 1
News Honda Pilot Owners: Problems & Solutions (Feb '06) Aug 7 Mike 220 1,994
News GM's next electric in 2019? Aug 7 Concave 4
More from around the web