Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions

Created by KarenS in the Maintenance & Repair Message Board. Your Host is mr_shiftright What is this discussion about? Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet Malibu Maxx, Sedan, Electric, Engine # 2962 of 2971 Visor and ... Full Story
Charlotte

Chipley, FL

#624 May 31, 2007
roberty wrote:
<quoted text>
Hate to be a bearer of bad news but my 2003 is getting its fuel pump replaced as we speak having gone through the same experience on Saturday that you are describing. No warning signs or anything just lost power and couldn't get it started again.
It is only four years old and under 50,000 miles!!!
Thank God it was only the fuel filter this time but was afraid that it was the fuel pump. thanks for all your help.
Julie

Jacksonville, FL

#625 May 31, 2007
BRP wrote:
does anybody have a solution to the 1999 chevy malibu theft system. as long as that light is on my car will not crank for about 10-15 minutes. HELP
Don't know if you got a response yet, but I had to take my car to the dealer and have the part replaced, I cant remember exactly what it was, but I can let you know if you don't already..
Julie

Jacksonville, FL

#626 May 31, 2007
LINZIE wrote:
MY CAR IS A PIECE OF SHIT THE AIR CONDITIONING BUTTON DOES NOT WORK THE PASSENGER SIDE WINDOW BUTTON IS BROKEN AND THE MIDDLE CONSEL THING POPPED OF AND SO DID THE SUN VISOR DON'T EVER BUY A MALIBU
What part of the air conditioner button's dont work, I have a 99 malibu and I have replaced the air conditioner panel 4 times now, this last time (1 month ago) they did it for me under the warranty because I have had so many problems with it, but I agree with you, I like my car, but will NEVER EVER get another malibu. I don't think even it was free I would take it.
Courtney

Pataskala, OH

#627 Jun 1, 2007
I recently purchased a 1997 Malibu and have had quite a few problems...
The steering suddenly, with no warning, is practically gone. It takes all my strength to even barely turn to the right or left.
Also, if I break too suddenly, or not quick enough the car will just die. I restart it and it keeps going, but my it is annoying to wonder if it is going to die at every stoplight in town.
I know it is an older model, I was not expecting all these complications!
Any ideas?

Since: May 07

Winnipeg, Canada

#628 Jun 2, 2007
I was kind of laughing the other day. I bought a 2002 Malibu LS about 2 weeks ago from a dealership. One day about a week ago I noticed that there was something leaking under the car. Well the water pump was shot. While taking this car back I noticed that the defrost fan on 1,2,3 wasn't working either so while the car was in the shop thought they could fix that problem to. I still can't figure out why it seems to try to stall every once in a blue moon. But only when your foot is on the brake and your in drive. The water pump and the fan were free to me but I don't know about the other problem. I guess we'll have to see.
Jusin C

Alamo, CA

#629 Jun 3, 2007
Bob Bradley, that is just igorant. About the time you posted your post there was an study about perceived quality of Toyota brands, and Saturn in one of the big car magazines. I work at large a dealership that sells over 15 brands of cars and trucks. Including Chevrolet, Toyota, Lexus and Saturn. The article was the subject of a day long meeting I attended. They presented facts and figures taken from various sources and Toyota was only slightly better, very marginal, than Chevy. Lexus was worse in repair costs and the amount of items needing repair than a Toyota. My little Malibu has more features than all most all peoples Camery or Avalons of the same year, so there is more to go wrong with it. But for the record, I have had nothing wrong with it and in fact, my wife and son also drive Malibu's and they have no problems. Saturn, who uses the same base platforms and technology as Chevrolet and other GM cars, has a perceived quality higher than Toyota. Yet the statistics show that the Saturn needs as much repair as its sister cars in the other GM divisions. Bottom line is, the sudy showed that TV commercials influence the state of peoples minds when they review their cars. Not just that, they show that the TV commercials most influential were ones aired over 10 years ago, especially among young car owners, Basically commercials they grew up with. I remember when I was a child the TV commercials said Toyota had a certain feeling, “oh what a feeling”. So if you buy one you have a good kind of “oh” feeling. When I was an early car buyer, Saturn was “a different kind of car company for different kind of people”. So I could be a follower all my life, or buy a Saturn. Fortunately I always bought my cars based on repair cost and operating costs and and found that of all the cars I bought, I have very rarely made a poor choice.
Paul

United States

#630 Jun 3, 2007
Blower motor problem. My blower motor will not wpork in the 1st 3 positions. It works fine after that. Can anyone help?
GMR

Phoenix, AZ

#631 Jun 3, 2007
Paul wrote:
Blower motor problem. My blower motor will not wpork in the 1st 3 positions. It works fine after that. Can anyone help?
Replace the ` Blower Moter Resistor Pack '.
It is located under the glove box vertically down into the air duct. Best to buy the new unit and then you know what the exposed portion will look like. Only two small scews which are difficult to get at; I cut slots in mine to simplify the process. I am now on my fourth unit and every one has been a new ` improved ' version. In over 55 years of auto maintenance I have only changed one other heater resistor pack before buying this Malibu Lemon.
amy

Essington, PA

#632 Jun 4, 2007
I have a 98 Malibu and the computer inside is nuts! It keeps locking and unlocking the doors, it turns on and off the AC, it recently turned on the Anti-Theft system. It tells me doors are open when they aren't and dings all the time. Is there a true way to restart or clear out the computer so it works properly?
Jon I

North Chelmsford, MA

#633 Jun 4, 2007
Jim wrote:
My steering unit failed early on in my 2004 Malibu and now it clunks when you turn, the dealer said GM knows its an issue but has no solutions. Does anyone's have the same issue with their Malibu?
Yes, I had the same problem with the 2005 Malibu sedan. It was the steering shaft. It took GM over a year to get the part out. Also, I had the steering rack replaced at about 45,000 miles.
sheikh

London, Canada

#634 Jun 4, 2007
Hello i have a 1999 chevy malibu my parking brake light stays on and my ABS light satys on too. I checked the fluid level and the wheel sensors and it seems ok. Please help me.
Thanks
MKW

Lubbock, TX

#635 Jun 4, 2007
Where is the power steering pump for a 2005 Chevy Malibu located?
Brandon

Nordland, WA

#636 Jun 4, 2007
Just bought a brand new 2007 Malibu Sedan not even a week ago. The only thing I have noticed is a rattle coming from some where in the back where the rear speakers are mounted. The whole decklid area is very loose because you can see and hear it move if you open the driver door and shut it. My 2004 never did this as both are nearly identical. What can be done to fix it completely?

Since: May 07

AOL

#637 Jun 5, 2007
sheikh wrote:
Hello i have a 1999 chevy malibu my parking brake light stays on and my ABS light satys on too. I checked the fluid level and the wheel sensors and it seems ok. Please help me.
Thanks
The same thing happend to my 04 Malibu Maxx and was told by the dealership its my abs system failing and needed a new motor for it. I was aslo told that the brake light and abs light comes on together when the abs system is trying to reboot and fix a problem. Dont know how this can be but you might want to check with your dealership to make sure its NOT the abs sysytem failing.
tink24tom

San Bernardino, CA

#638 Jun 5, 2007
Dan wrote:
I have a 2006 malibu rental and the 12 volt plug in cig. lighter don't work so the GPS don't work very long. where is the fuse for this?the fuse box under the hood does not list cigarette lighter.
the fuse for the cig lighter is in the rear lrft side on my 2005 maxx.
James

Omaha, NE

#639 Jun 6, 2007
Severino Ruiz wrote:
My 2002 Chevy Malibu started beeping on me. The beepin sounds like its comin from my drivers side front door. I tried takein out the fuses but nothin happened. I think it has somethin to do with my doors. Can someone please help me out.
Did you ever find out what this was? Our 2002 Malibu is doing it as well...
SUPERK

Cameron, MO

#640 Jun 7, 2007
WHAT A PIECE THOSE CARS ARE RIGHT ON FROM 1998
SUPERK

Cameron, MO

#641 Jun 7, 2007
WHAT A PIECE OF SHIT STICK WIT OL SKOOL
kevin

Minneapolis, MN

#642 Jun 7, 2007
can anyone tell me how to remove the grille over the rear speakers in my 02 chevy malibu? I recently bought some 6x9 alpine type R's and i would like to know how to install them before they arrive. If anyone could walk my through the installation process step by step i would really appreciate it. Thanks a lot!!
GMR

Phoenix, AZ

#643 Jun 8, 2007
Can any one tell me where the turn flasher is located on my Malibu ?

I have just started having intermittent failure to operate on all turn & hazard signals; especially when hot.

Thanks in advance.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chevy Impala Owners File Class Action Lawsuit A... (Jul '11) 6 hr GiMiK 37
Ask the Auto Doctor (Mar '06) Mon Woody 1,516
Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius (Nov '10) Jan 23 Silent Echo 9,251
Honda Pilot Owners: Problems & Solutions (Feb '06) Jan 23 ARosie24 1,897
Chevy S10/GMC S15-Sonoma: Problems & Solutions (Apr '06) Jan 22 joey 511
If Chevrolet Suburban Won't Start It Could Be S... (Jun '09) Jan 16 Mikele803 140
GM predicts pretax earnings, profit margin rise... Jan 15 John Jeffery 1
More from around the web