Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions

Created by KarenS in the Maintenance & Repair Message Board. Your Host is mr_shiftright What is this discussion about? Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet Malibu Maxx, Sedan, Electric, Engine # 2962 of 2971 Visor and ... Full Story
Brian

Minneapolis, MN

#182 Nov 1, 2006
Tillie wrote:
My remote starter works only occasionally. Now, my entire keyless entry package, including remote starter, doesn't work. I cannot even lock or unlock my doors now. Any Ideas????
I've also had clicking problems when i turn. I had it fixed, and it helped, but it still is clicking. Many minor issues with my 04 malibu.
I have the same problem the remote is junk the piece that holds the battery breaks on both remotes
Shelly

Detroit, MI

#183 Nov 1, 2006
My 2002 Malibu just changed intertake gaskit two weeks ago, it cost me $800. today it's check engine light. I hate the trouble car! any suggestion?
Sarah

Villa Park, IL

#184 Nov 1, 2006
My '05 Malibu Maxx LS just got a complete brake job at 21,000 miles for $550. I was told by the brake guy that this model of car is going to need to get this done ever 20,000 miles. I was wondering if anyone who said they were having brake problems kept their car, if so, did the brakes go bad again so quickly? I can't justify paying two months of car payments on brake jobs. Advice?
Dwane

Baraboo, WI

#185 Nov 1, 2006
i have a 2000 malibu le. i have a rust hole just below the gas cap. it has never been replaced or fixed. i was told by the local dealer the warrenty is expired...help
Romuald Lagace

Chandler, AZ

#186 Nov 1, 2006
jrs79 wrote:
I have a 2000 Chevy Mlibu and Im not sure if it has a timing belt or a timing chain....can any one help me out??

If you have the v6 than you have at timeing chain. If you have the 4 it has a belt.
Ralph

Buffalo, NY

#187 Nov 3, 2006
sharon wrote:
I have a 1998 malibu - the stupid theft thing engages when the car does not turn over and start. You have to wait 10 minutes before you can try again. Does anyone know who to disconnect this thing?
I found this comment concerning that on another fix it site.
How do you disable the anti-theft lock on a 1999 Chevy Malibu?
Answer
Pull out the stereo with out disconnecting, and find 3 really thin straped cables, yellow, black and white. Start the car and cut the yellow wire. Thatīs it, the anti theft light, would be on always but the system would be deactivated.
bill

Oaklyn, NJ

#188 Nov 4, 2006
My 2000 Malibu 3.1 v6 has just had its' head gasket and intake manifold gasket replaced at 48,300 miles! Absolutely pampered at all required service points by the dealer. Why? The leaking oil ruined my cooling system as well, but GM says it's my fault for letting the car overheat. Chicken and egg, but they offered NO help even though it had an extended 50,000 mile warranty, the time expired and they played Pontious Pilot. So far, it's needed a new water pump, thermostat, radiator, heater core ($1741) and gaskets ($1650). Chevrolet is junk and won't stand behind their product.
Jeff W

Saint Paul, MN

#189 Nov 4, 2006
You're right on the $.... I have a 1994 Acura Integra with 164,000 miles on it. It STILL gets 34mpg. Since 1999, I've replaced a starter and radiator. You would think American car companies would learn a thing or two by now.
Bob

Columbus, OH

#190 Nov 4, 2006
I have a 1999 Malibu LS, 3.1L V6... bought the car in May '05 with 118k miles on it - it now has 160k on it. Since I've owned it I've replaced the alternator, water pump and put a set of tires on it. This has been a great car. Our 1997 Lumina LS has a little over 200k (we bought it with 21k miles) on it and still running strong. So I disagree with the rice owners - American cars can go the long haul also. The Malibu gets 30mpg on long trips, 25 in town. Lumina does about the same.

However - the Malibu is having issues that I'm seeing a lot of here -

Theft System - try to start the car, it begins to start, then the RPM needle drops to zero, and the Theft System light begins to flash. 8-10 mins later, it stops flashing and the car starts again. Today - it stopped flashing - tried to start - and it started flashing again - another 10 mins and it started. Becoming frustrating QUICKLY.

ABS Light - comes on when backing out of my driveway when the car is cold. A quick turn off/on clears that.

Check Engine light - comes on intermittently - gas cap is tight.

Really - I have not many complaints. I've gotten almost 50k of basically trouble-free miles out of it, and its still a great riding and running car.
I'd REALLY like to figure out the Theft System issues.

Thanks for any replies - midnight70@gmail.com
tony

AOL

#191 Nov 5, 2006
I have an 2003 Malibu, and while driving the car stopped running. All of a sudden all of the electrical equipment shut down and now I get no power when I turn the key. Has anyone had the same problem or any suggestions as to what the problem might be?
coldstoneman

Blue Springs, MO

#192 Nov 5, 2006
Greg H wrote:
Is anyone else having trouble with the temp gauge not working? Mine is a 2001 and the temp gauge just quit working two days ago. Temp sending unit didn't fix it. Any answers???
I am having the same issues
jimvac

Felda, FL

#193 Nov 6, 2006
Starter "clunk"?
I have a '99 malibu V-6. Sometimes when starting, as I release the key it sounds like the starter wants to engage again momentarily. Or is it the tranny? The car almost wants to move forward in PARK.
jdp

AOL

#194 Nov 6, 2006
jeff wrote:
my 2005 malibu maxx wont blow heat, coolant level fine I even took out the ac fuses I thought it was stuck on any help
sounds like a thermostat issue may be stuck open also check and make sure you are not using antifreeze if so check for a intake manifold gasket problem good luck.
Hasan

East Lansing, MI

#196 Nov 8, 2006
Hi,
My 2001 Malibu started making this beeping sound too. Did you get any responses from your inquiry?
Severino Ruiz wrote:
My 2002 Chevy Malibu started beeping on me. The beepin sounds like its comin from my drivers side front door. I tried takein out the fuses but nothin happened. I think it has somethin to do with my doors. Can someone please help me out.
stetson

New Liskeard, Canada

#197 Nov 8, 2006
i have a 99 malibu it has 110 000 km on it and the timing chain sprocket was replaced 30 000km ago.
now starting the car it bucks and spits when idleing
when you get the rpms up to 2500 it smooths right out to normal. do any know whatthis is.
Charles

Garner, NC

#198 Nov 9, 2006
I couldn't get mine to work either so I checked the owners manual. It states you first push the door lock button, then press and hold the starter "circle" button for 2 seconds. Dang, it works!
Also the feature may be turned off through the radio. With it in park, scroll through your radio MENU button until you see "remote start", you can press ENTER to switch it on or off.
Hope that works, mine had me scratching my head until I read it.
mark oddy wrote:
i just purchased a 2006 malibu maxx and was wondering if anybody has had any trouble with the car starter remote
Travis

Montgomery, AL

#199 Nov 9, 2006
I have a 2004 Malibu with approx 60,000 miles on it. I've been having problems with the car not starting/starting funny on an intermittent basis. The strange thing is that the clock on the radio will also reset, and on occasion, the trunk pops open! Has anyone else ever had these problems? Sounds like an electrical nightmare to me. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Frances Hundley

Breaux Bridge, LA

#200 Nov 9, 2006
I have a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu with 23,000 miles. I bought it from a dealership as a used car. After having the car two weeks, I brought it in because I could hear a popping noise when I turned my steering wheel. The dealership told me it was safe to drive the car but to bring it in so they could replace a part that they said was defective. Now, after having the car 11 months, it's doing the same thing again, only worse. What is the problem? Is it safe to drive the car?
Tillie

Audubon, MN

#201 Nov 10, 2006
Frances Hundley wrote:
I have a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu with 23,000 miles. I bought it from a dealership as a used car. After having the car two weeks, I brought it in because I could hear a popping noise when I turned my steering wheel. The dealership told me it was safe to drive the car but to bring it in so they could replace a part that they said was defective. Now, after having the car 11 months, it's doing the same thing again, only worse. What is the problem? Is it safe to drive the car?
I had the exact same problem. I had mine brought in with the clunking, so they replaced the stearing gear. A few months later, the clunk is back. I called the dealership and they said they would replace it, but I hope it isn't an ongoing problem.
Don

Chesterfield, MO

#202 Nov 10, 2006
Does anyone know how to remove the center stack cover to access the stereo?

Thanks

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ask the Auto Doctor (Mar '06) 31 min Joe Balls 1,530
If Chevrolet Suburban Won't Start It Could Be S... (Jun '09) Mon joe 142
96 Blazer Transmission Problems (Oct '06) Sun hobeybear 136
Exclusive: GM will build Chevy Bolt in Michigan... Sun Joe Balls 4
Charging station for electric vehicles installe... Sat iluvmyVolt 13
2016 Chevrolet Volt Powertrain: How It Works In... Feb 25 Solarman 1
Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius (Nov '10) Feb 25 iluvmyVolt 9,701
More from around the web