GM stops building slow-selling Chevy Volts for 5 weeks

Mar 2, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: USA Today

General Motors is stopping production of the Chevy Volt and European sibling Opel Ampera for five week due to slow sales.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 39 of39
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
NTLWR

Moncton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2012

Judged:

jbl wrote:
I wanted to buy a chevy volt, have watch this tech come to market.
the price point is to high but with the rebate was very close only off three thousand dollars from a realistic price point.
Then chevy comes out with their top off card program 1/1/12 no cash for the chevy volt up to 3000.00 for the cruze.
If they wanted to sell volts they would be selling volts.
Buying a leaf now .
You live in Wisconsin and planning to buy a Nissan Leaf?

How far do you plant to travel in it?

Canadian tests show that in winter time with temps -10c and below, the distance the Leaf can travel is cut in half. It can't go all that far on one charge in the first place let alone winter.

Waste of money.
ABc

New Baltimore, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2012

Judged:

Community Disorganizer wrote:
<quoted text>
What a dumb statement, if this guy is a high ranking GM spokesman, no wonder the Volts a disaster.
The Prius sold 3,000,000+ worldwide......that's outside of "imported from Detroit." We bailed out the wrong company! Buy domestic they say. Why? The majority of the profits go to the upper crust. I will put my money on foreign autos anyday. GM already has my bailout money....pathetic. Drug test and fire all those POSs!!!!!!
Gm man

Romeo, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2012

Voice of Reality wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, they sold another one?
Sales have been hitting over 1000 a month. Your sarcasm will not stop the Volt.
Gm man

Romeo, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2012

Voice of Reality wrote:
<quoted text>Perhaps not, however a five week stoppage in production will put a kink in it.
I doubt it, since there are 3000 in dealerships (using rough math, 3 months supply)
Proud Canadian

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2012

Gm man wrote:
<quoted text>
Sales have been hitting over 1000 a month. Your sarcasm will not stop the Volt.
Give it a break.
January Volt sales were just over 600 units.
February sales were approx. 400 more--just over 1000.
Volt actually outsold Leaf in February.
No matter how it's sliced and diced, sales of EVs are underwhelming.
Arguing one way or the other just now is a waste of time.
Certainly not worth insulting one another about it.
Gm man

Romeo, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2012

Proud Canadian wrote:
<quoted text>Give it a break.
January Volt sales were just over 600 units.
February sales were approx. 400 more--just over 1000.
Volt actually outsold Leaf in February.
No matter how it's sliced and diced, sales of EVs are underwhelming.
Arguing one way or the other just now is a waste of time.
Certainly not worth insulting one another about it.
Why not tell that to the Volt hater as well?
Gm man

Romeo, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2012

Voice of Reality wrote:
<quoted text>You keep throwing the number 1,000 out as something to be proud of about being a sales figure. I do not quite believe that their average is 1,000 per month, HOWEVER, if it is then that makes sales at aboout 20 per month per state. Now you have to take into consideration the number of Chevy dealers per state and the average is less than one volt sold per month, per dealer. Dealers will not stay in business very long selling less than 10 of a model every year.
You are not very smart if you think the Volt was made for outstanding sales. The Cruze, Sonic, and new Malibu will keep the dealerships in a fine position.
Community Disorganizer

Trumbull, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2012

The public isn't buting the Dolt, Obama is forcing them on private and public fleets.
Proud Canadian

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2012

Gm man wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not tell that to the Volt hater as well?
Primarily because you've been around this forum longer than most and should know better.
By now you should have learned that insulting others who are perfect strangers is immature, pointless, and just plain stupid---it really doesn't change anything one way or the other.
So the advice stands---Give it a break!
If it makes you feel any better, that also applies to those you choose to rant against.
Bounce

Romeo, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2012

Judged:

Voice of Reality wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, so now I get it, GM is designing cars that will NOT sell? Now I understand how they got into the condition that needed such a large welfare check to bail them out.

You need to face reality, perhaps cars like the Volt will, one day with better technology, be more appealing to the American Buying Public, however, with GM's rush for production before the technology was there and it could be applied in a more competitive pricing structure GM built a car in the Volt that had no current support in the market.

GM made a similar mistake with the Corvair, they rushed the car into production before realizing that it needed a camber limiter on the rear suspension for safety reasons. They also did not take the time to address a head gasket problem and Ralph Nader did the rest. The funny part is that in 1965 a second generation of Corvair was produced with the early year problems mostly solved, however, by that time the Corvair was destined by early failure to be a joke of the industry as it remains today.

The Corvair, like the Volt, actually had good points and a look to the future, however, GM botched both and I wonder if the Volt will have any better success in dealing with the fact that the first car to carry the name was seen as no more than an oddity, an oddity that was over priced and had little real world value as a primary means of transportation.
The Volt is a stepping stone for GM. The technology is what the investment was for. In reality, the Volt was a by-product of GMs research.

Meanwhile, if GM never made the Volt, you would still insult them for having gas guzzling cars.

In reality, you are just looking for any possible flaw in GM.
Mac

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2012

Judged:

V of R finally someone with brains! How many false reports about GM do they need to write before the next bailout. To believe the botched auto makers story time and time again. People believe all the hype, in reality they are going the way of the dinosaurs....its been going on for years. People say, "buy American." Why? The majority of the money goes to upper management for bonuses. At least foreign makers use the money to keep pumping out quality and reliability!
Gm man

Romeo, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2012

Voice of Reality wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, no, for years I was a chevy fan then I found the much better designed Toyota and the reliability of those vehicles. Today I have decided (after watching my son abuse and be unable to kill a 10 year old Elantra) that the Korean cars are the new wave of the future.

My big beef with GM is that they as a company decided to be very short sighted and depended on the American Car Buying public to be that was as well as having a short memory. We have known since the mid 70s that a gas crisis or one type or another was going to be regular events in this country and GM in a bit of a brain storm came up with building vehicles like Hummers and other cars and trucks that they knew would be a drag on them long term. I once had a very good friend who was a vice president at a local ford store in the mid 80s and he would always tell me about GM, Ford and Chrysler doing survey duty showing things like the New Car Buying Public kept a car about 2.8 years so the quality did not have to be that great as the primary owner would not care about the problems the secondary owners would have with these vehicles.
I also believe that the path that all three are still going is one that can not be kept up as shown by IBM in the 90s. To survive and compete in a global market against the Japanese and Koreans as well as the European cars the big three are going to have to understand that inflated union labor places them at a disadvantage and one, two or all three will always be on the verge of needing more government money. Do you really think that Fiat gives a rat's ass about Chrysler? Don't you understand that Fiat only wanted them for the parts and service network?
Very mistaken. Pity pity
Proud Canadian

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2012

Judged:

Voice of Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
Now, that was a great and well thought out reply complete with documented facts, NOT!
It's a waste of time and effort dealing with trolls.
They seek only to engage in disruptive rhetoric.
Gm man

Walled Lake, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2012

Judged:

Voice of Reality wrote:
<quoted text>Now, that was a great and well thought out reply complete with documented facts, NOT!
Regardless of what you think, it was not an incorrect statement
Proud Canadian

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2012

Voice of Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
Now, that was a great and well thought out reply complete with documented facts, NOT!
You probably know this , but it's only intended as a reminder:

"Trolls are an unfortunately common occurrence on many communities across the Internet (especially this one!), and there are various steps which can be taken to combat them. If one is currently struggling with an Internet troll, the best thing to do is to walk away, since trolls feed on attention, and usually disappear when ignored."
Botched little 4

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2012

Judged:

Gm man wrote:
<quoted text>
Very mistaken. Pity pity
Why is GM building chevy Volts?
Community Disorganizer

Trumbull, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2012

Community Disorganizer

Trumbull, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2012

Botched little 4

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2012

I don't read anything on the internet about auto makers. Not CR, not the Detroit press. Experience and word of mouth are my Bibles. Commercials are botched beyond repair. Here is some advice...stay away from domestic anything.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 39 of39
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Chevrolet Volt Discussions

Search the Chevrolet Volt Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Chevy Volt leapfrogs Toyota's Prius (Nov '10) Jul 9 Over Priced Cruze 9,204
Plug-In Electric Car Sales In June: Leaf's Best... Jul 2 Alessandro Volta 1
Obstacles to charging into the future (Jan '13) Jun 26 nuvola 95 2
Will These Electric Pickups Steal Tesla's Bigge... Jun 21 Solarman 1
Energy storage seen as next spark for 'green' p... Jun 19 Solarman 33
Chevy Volt vs. Toyota Prius Plug-In: How Do The... Jun '14 Solarman 17
Technology Puts Detroit Back on Top (May '11) May '14 Auto-Safety 16
•••

Buy a New Car