Jon K

Worcester, MA

#61 Sep 14, 2008
Patrick wrote:
I have a 2003 Venture Van and the 2 main brake lights do not work but the 3rd light above the hatch does. I've replaced the bulbs and the lights worked for a while and then went out again. This has happened twice so far. Has anyone had this problem before? Thank you....
Just finished fixing the same problem for a friend. I checked the bulb (OK), read the voltage with the brake pedal pressed (OK), cleaned all the contacts, etc. It worked intermittently. Then a closer examination revealed the simple solution. Could have kicked myself. On both taillight assemblies, the contact for the bulb for the brake light voltage looks like a different material. It is a spring connection when the bulb is pushed in. The contacts inside the socket on both assemblies were bent out slightly, not always making contact with the bulb. Simply bending the contact in slightly resulted in perfect operation for both rear brake lights.
Jon K

Worcester, MA

#62 Sep 14, 2008
Just finished fixing the same problem for a friend. I checked the bulb (OK), read the voltage with the brake pedal pressed (OK), cleaned all the contacts, etc. It worked intermittently. Then a closer examination revealed the simple solution. Could have kicked myself. On both taillight assemblies, the contact for the bulb for the brake light voltage looks like a different material. It is a spring connection when the bulb is pushed in. The contacts inside the socket on both assemblies were bent out slightly, not always making contact with the bulb. Simply bending the contact in slightly resulted in perfect operation for both rear brake lights.
Jim U

Hamilton, Canada

#63 Oct 5, 2008
How do you get the door knobs off a 99 Chevy Venture? Don't see any set screws.
Mark

Rahway, NJ

#64 Oct 8, 2008
My neighbor and I both have a Montana and Venture(1999). Taillight turn signals and brake lights burning out all the time and being replaced. Also had the issue on the venture with the turn signal indicator lights on dash faintly comming on whenever you hit the brake pedal which immediatly triggered the ABS and TCS warning lights to come on. To solve our problems I took the black taillight circuit board out and with a small screw driver bent all the contacts inward so that when replacing the bulb the contacts were snug. All my light problems were solved. I couldn't believe such an insignificant fix was all it took. Try this fix first. It sure beats spending $$$ on a circuit board.
Jim

Buffalo, NY

#65 Oct 12, 2008
Where do I start: I own a 2003 Chevy Venture and had to have the head gaskets replaced (at 67000 miles) because of the dexcool debacle. My passenger window goes up and down only from the passenger side control. I took the van in 5 times before they finally figured out why my power sliding door wouldn't work. One year later it stopped again, so I disconnected the cable an now open and close it manually. And, my brake lights keep burning out (they melt at the base). I called GM and they indicated to me that I would have to take it to a dealer (and pay them) to have the problem investigated. Does anyone know about any recall of these lights? This can't be safe! I bought a real lemon. My Toyota Camry with 136000 miles works great!!!!
Glen wrote:
<quoted text>
I had the same problem but it also included the switches inside for the door. It happened to me after the power was disconected from the car (new battery). There is a reset procedure in the manual to reactivate your door. Hope this helps.
Robert Shaw

Casper, WY

#66 Oct 13, 2008
Any idea what makes the headlites and tail lites come on when you start the engine ---They used to anyway andd now they don't I would like to fix it .
Robert Shaw

Casper, WY

#67 Oct 13, 2008
I for got its a 1999 Venture
Robert Shaw

Casper, WY

#68 Oct 13, 2008
On my 1999 Chevy Venture , I don't have power going to the dash lites and the front running lites and the tail lites all fuses are good . what modual controls this and where is it ??
Robert Shaw

Casper, WY

#69 Oct 13, 2008
Robert Shaw wrote:
I for got its a 1999 Venture
What ?
Jay Z

Roscoe, IL

#70 Dec 7, 2008
I have a 2000 Chevy Venture I notice neither my brake or tail lights work at all! I have checked all the fuses no problem their where is the circuit board located?
Patti

United States

#71 Dec 21, 2008
I also have a 1999 Chevy Venture. Right side brake like works, driver side does not. We had an issue a couple of months ago that the carpet on the driver side was soaked and that is about the time that the brake lights stopped working. Now that the carpet is dry, the right side works. Replaced all of the two elements light bulbs, of course that was not the problem. I guess we need to check the wire coming from the fire wall. Hubby has determined that the brown wire on the connector is the power for the brake light and it is the only wire with out electricity. I need to find a wiring diagram for this car, any ideas of where to find one without buying a book.
jwp45

Burgin, KY

#72 Jan 15, 2009
Mark wrote:
My neighbor and I both have a Montana and Venture(1999). Taillight turn signals and brake lights burning out all the time and being replaced. Also had the issue on the venture with the turn signal indicator lights on dash faintly comming on whenever you hit the brake pedal which immediatly triggered the ABS and TCS warning lights to come on. To solve our problems I took the black taillight circuit board out and with a small screw driver bent all the contacts inward so that when replacing the bulb the contacts were snug. All my light problems were solved. I couldn't believe such an insignificant fix was all it took. Try this fix first. It sure beats spending $$$ on a circuit board.
Made my day.!!!!!!!!!
The fix worked great. Excellent post.
Liesje From PA

Irvington, NJ

#73 Feb 14, 2009
I have a 2004 Venture and have been dealing with one and off rear lamp problems. My neighbor was kind enough to tell me that my rear brake lights weren't working, so I replaced the bulbs (3057) today. These are also the same lamps that turn on when the headlights are on. I tested them by turning the headlights on and they work fine, but they don't kick up the notch when I press on the brake. I thought it was possibly the fuse, but I replaced the fuse in the dash labeled "stop lamp" according to the manual, but that doesn't help. So then I thought I'd replace the fuse under the hood (09) that also says stop lamps and hazard lights, but that didn't work either. I don't understand where the lights work but not for the brakes. It would seem to me that the electricity is getting there just fine if they work but there's a signal problem between when I press on the brake and having the lights ramp up to show that the brakes are on. The cyclops light seems fine. Anyone have any suggestions?
Andrew

Mountain View, CA

#74 Feb 19, 2009
Have the rear light problem on my 01 Venture. Getting new circuit boards installed as I type this. $102 cdn apiece.
Donna - Jamaica NY

Bronx, NY

#75 Feb 24, 2009
[I have a 2000 Chevy Venture. Its been one problen after another with this lemon. First was the antifreeze leaking out (3 times already) Peeling paint on the top, then the gas leaking out now the brake light on the driver side keeps burning out, melting the whole thing. I took it to an auto shop and was told I have to replace the circuit board because of corrosion. I orderer the thing and would like to know how to replace it myself. (Don't trust those guys in the auto shop) Can someone please help. Thanks.
castro

Fresno, CA

#76 Mar 13, 2009
I too have the same problem with the tail lights. I have a 2002 Chevy Venture. I talk with a some who knew a lot about cars and I mentioned the circuit board and he said that wouldn't be the problem. If you what you ave said here is correct I need to change that and go with my gut feeling. N o one know what is is.
Patrick wrote:
I picked up my van last night and I needed to replace both tail circuit boards (or tail light sockets). The dealer said that the turn signal switch was not the problem. Apparently, it is a big coincidence that both tail light circuit boards failed within a month or so of each other. I plan on checking the lights on a daily basis until I'm comfortable that this actually solves the problem long term.
Ron

Toronto, Canada

#77 Apr 13, 2009
2003 Venture wrote:
Recently bought a 2003 and now find that both brake lights are out. Cyclops light still works. I checked the bulbs and they are fine. Checked the socket and no juice. I'm guessing it's those circuit boards.
So did your dealer cover the cost for parts and/or repair? Care to share what they charged you guys to replace the sockets?
I'm going to contact the used car dealer I purchased my van from and see if this is covered under my 6/6 warranty.
Thanks!!!
<quoted text>
You seem to have the smae problem as I do. I also have no power going to the bulbs so I don't want to change the circuit board or bulb connection just yet. Still not sure why their is no power. I've had the van for almost 6 years so thier will be no warranty on it. Let me know if you have any solutions. I will continue to work on this (tonight) and see if I can resolve.
Take care,
Ron
Becki

AOL

#78 May 16, 2009
castro wrote:
I too have the same problem with the tail lights. I have a 2002 Chevy Venture. I talk with a some who knew a lot about cars and I mentioned the circuit board and he said that wouldn't be the problem. If you what you ave said here is correct I need to change that and go with my gut feeling. N o one knwhat is is.<quoted text>
Hubby and I just spent couple hours checking lts and brake switch. Then read about bending in the contectors(there are 2 connectors pr lt..bent in top 1 wich "activates""bri ghtens"" brake lite). bingo brake lights back on, and didn't have to spend $150 on the circuit board.*that is were the water runs down on to*
Mark

Canada

#79 May 21, 2009
I have a 02 venture with the brake light problem.
When I use the cruise, it burns out the brake light.
Changing the circuit board fixed the problem for me.
Mark

Canada

#80 May 21, 2009
anyone have the gas gauge problem? When it's full
it reads full, but after a few days it reads emty
and the warning light comes on.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Venture Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
1999 Venture transmission (Jun '07) Mar 22 Dishan 30
temp on driver information center Mar 20 purple1275 1
2000 chevy venture wont start (Apr '11) Mar 16 greglake25 39
O2 sensor location (May '06) Mar 16 Toya 16
2000 Venture Corrosion (Mar '07) Feb '15 Allyn 35
Chevy Venture overheating problem (Feb '09) Feb '15 will 90
driver information center (DIC) (Mar '06) Feb '15 luis salgado 17
More from around the web