1998 chevy venture will not start

Posted in the Chevrolet Venture* Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jody Gallagher

Lincoln, NE

#1 Apr 5, 2007
My van will periodically start. We thought it mightbe in the mini engine relay as when it has done it before by messing in this area we were able to get it to work. We put in a new one, but it still does not start. There is zero power when this happens, no lights or anything. Any other suggestions?
rob

Ravenna, OH

#2 Sep 23, 2007
did you check the battery terminal,or a lose stater wirer on the solenoid,or a crack wire,it's something between the battery and stater. rob

Reinhars

Baddeck, Canada

#3 Oct 5, 2007
In my experience with this, I beleive I tracked iot down to a bad ground on the battery. If you turn your key to on and the lights do not come on, and no other power to the vehicle, then grab the battery and cables and shake them. If the lights come on and the you hear the ABS unit self testing, its a ground or some other connection issue. The ground is handy, next to the battery on the side wall between the wiper motor and the underhood fuse box. Try cleaning it and the bolt and reattach. Also have experienced the starter failing causing the vehicle to appear as though the alternator or battery is toast.
Rachel

Walnut Creek, CA

#4 Oct 5, 2007
We have a 2000 chevey venture. driving down the road one day, it dies at a stop light and will not start. It turns over, but it won't start. the mechanic says it needs a new fuel pump, so we replace it and when we go to pick it up, it won't start again. The mechanic says, it a bad fuel pump, and replaces it again. Two weeks later, it is doing the same thing, turns over but won't start. I have to have it towed back over to the mechanic. Has anyone had this problem? I've already paid over $600 for the fuel pump and it still won't start.
Rachel

Walnut Creek, CA

#5 Oct 5, 2007
oops, apparently, this was not the place to post this comment. Hope you van starts though.
jymz

Winnipeg, Canada

#6 Oct 5, 2007
Rachel wrote:
oops, apparently, this was not the place to post this comment. Hope you van starts though.
If we have same problem then your IAC valve is not working(Idling Air Control Valve). Replace it.
So long your problem is,'start and dies' or as if it doesn't really hold engine in run mode, then that's the part to be replaced. Something $100 bucks with labor. Goodluck.
joey

AOL

#7 Feb 15, 2009
hi i have a 97 venture i blew the heads and then replaced them i now have compression in the motor i also have spark and also have fuel spraying to throttle body i checked all the fuses there good now i am replacing the timing chain because there is to much slack in it. the motor turns over but does not start. what else can be wrong with my van
Randy

Spotsylvania, VA

#8 Aug 30, 2009
joey wrote:
hi i have a 97 venture i blew the heads and then replaced them i now have compression in the motor i also have spark and also have fuel spraying to throttle body i checked all the fuses there good now i am replacing the timing chain because there is to much slack in it. the motor turns over but does not start. what else can be wrong with my van
I have the same problem. Did you find out what the problem was?
George

Wyocena, WI

#9 Aug 30, 2009
Hi Jody,

Recent posts at the yahoo group for the Chevy Venture indicate a worn out fuel filler cap may be at fault. Please stop by our group and read the recent posts...

PLEASE JOIN THE YAHOO GROUP FOR OUR VANS: Venture, Silhouette, and Montana. You'll find expert help available and a group of friendly GM minivan owners who help each other. Here's the link:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/chevyvent...
RobC

Perryville, MD

#10 Feb 25, 2011
Joey and Randy if you open your oil cap and have someone turn the motor over for you you should see the lifters move up and down if you don't see any movement then you have a timing chain problem more then likely one of the tensioner arms broke.
chase

United States

#11 May 11, 2011
Rachel wrote:
We have a 2000 chevey venture. driving down the road one day, it dies at a stop light and will not start. It turns over, but it won't start. the mechanic says it needs a new fuel pump, so we replace it and when we go to pick it up, it won't start again. The mechanic says, it a bad fuel pump, and replaces it again. Two weeks later, it is doing the same thing, turns over but won't start. I have to have it towed back over to the mechanic. Has anyone had this problem? I've already paid over $600 for the fuel pump and it still won't start.
having same problem on my 98 i repleced the fuel pump i was a auto tech and im still having problems just going down the list of spark, fuel, power and all are there, if they replaced it and said it was it i know the shop i work at would take it back and make the the number one car to look at and fix it free of charge cause we missed diagnosed the problem
sheila

Calgary, Canada

#12 Oct 30, 2011
i have a 1990 chevy van was running great untill one day it started chugging while running and loosing power as if it wasnt getting gas. made it home tryed to start it again after that but wouldn't start. someone told us to change the fuel pump so we did. still wont start so we changed the fuel filter and put some carb cleaner in it. now the van starts but only if i spray the carb cleaner. does anyone have some answers please i cant work without this van.
Tom

Ashburn, VA

#13 Nov 7, 2011
I have a 98 chevy venture and down the road it just turnes off... Tried to start it but it wont start... Funny thing is that i dont hear the fuel pump when i turn the switch.. Sound the fuel pump be the problem????????
TCC

Frederick, MD

#14 Nov 14, 2011
I have a 2000 chevy venture. The car went in for a routine oil change...had no proir starting issues.
The car would not start after the oil change. The battery and fuses are all good. The mechanics finally got the car started after 10 minutes. They claimed the car was not in park. I rode the car a distance and turned it off, now it won't start again. I'm not sure if the oil vendor just started the car thru other means (eliminating correctng the real problem) and just gave me the car running or if I actually got in the and turned it on from a off poition.
Any ideas?
William Hogan

Sunbury, OH

#15 Dec 18, 2011
Removing the front plat which is the timing cover is difficult to remove, it can be done without removing the battery or the wiper fluid container. Looking into the eng., you should see the rocker arms moving as eng. is turning over. Removing No. 1 spark plug. Get compresson from that spark plug hole. Then get TDC by a wire in the hole touching the piston. Turn the eng. till the piston is at the top of its travel. Now the crank gear "demple" (bottom gear)should be at the top. While the (top gear) groove mark, should be at the bottom.
Patrick

London, Canada

#16 Dec 26, 2011
my 2003 chevy venture will not start.
yesterday it had the same problem but a battery boost started it. Today a battery boost does nothing. When the key is turned to start the starter does not engage and turn over the engine. The battery voltage when measured with a voltmeter is 13+ volts so I do not think it is the batter or alternator. Where is the starter and solenoid on this van.
lacey

United States

#17 Feb 11, 2012
Have a 98 venture that started to chug but then died. It started back up made it down the road a lil bit but then continued to chug and then stalled. Went to try and start it but all we get is one click. Any ideas on what it could possibly be??
chris

Appleton, WI

#18 Feb 11, 2012
lacey wrote:
Have a 98 venture that started to chug but then died. It started back up made it down the road a lil bit but then continued to chug and then stalled. Went to try and start it but all we get is one click. Any ideas on what it could possibly be??
good luck!!! i have the same exact problem
chris

Appleton, WI

#19 Feb 11, 2012
good luck!!! i have the same problem
Ken

Philipsburg, PA

#20 Mar 14, 2012
I have a 97 Chevy venture that ran great then all of a sudden one day just wouldn't start.I changed the plugs n wires.Had the starter n battery checked.Everything is good.Sometimes it starts n sometimes u turn the key n it just turns for a second then just clicks.Any ideas?I need this vehicle for work n I just don't know what to do?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Venture* Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2004 chevy venture Jul 19 Jaimev31 2
1999 Venture transmission (Jun '07) Jul 8 Amy 32
No turn signals Jul 1 Billy01 1
2004 Venture 3.4L V6 Engine hesitation (Jul '09) Jun '17 VentureDestroyer 18
chevy Venture Gas Smell (Jan '08) Jun '17 Jay 26
instrument cluster May '17 samber4 1
how to jump start a dead 98 venture battery (Apr '08) May '17 Star60 8
More from around the web