Using alot of antifreeze
Danny GOT THE SHAFT

Thermal, CA

#21 Dec 15, 2006
Just IN THE LAST 60 DAYS-(2000 Venture - 103 K) went thru the replacemant of upper / lower intake gaskets (oil skim in the antifreeze), Hard shifting transmission (Dealer said it needed fluid flushed to "fix" it, paid dealer $130.00 - one week later paid $2700.00 for rebuild - Percision transmission guy said he sees this all the time from the venture vehicle. Junk plentums and pumps) I have the "DISCO" optional tail lights (put on brakes and flashers go faster). Driverside power window gets "stuck" half way up, manual assist. GM wonders why their sales are slumping and imports are selling more.. WAKE UP and quit selling your UNION made $65.00 an hour assembly worker junk to us. You wont even deal with your warrantees correctly. NEVER BUYING A CHEVY AGAIN. I'm buying a TOYOTA.
David

Gaithersburg, MD

#22 Dec 15, 2006
I just bought my 1999 Chevy Venture van for 1000. It has 99500 miles on it. I just had a guy at work replace the thermostat for me (70). When I contacted the dealer it turns out that they wanted alost 300 dollars to replace the thermostat. Being an ex full time mechanic I have noticed a lot of problems with the Dex Cool antifreeze. This has cost a lot of people money and grief. When I bought the van it was starting to overheat on me as well. I assumed trying the thermostat first and it was the main problem despite that fact that it still had the factory dex cool in the cooling system. I would recommend that alot of people have your cooling systems completely flushed and have the 50/50 premix (that works with any color) antifreeze placed in your cooling systems. The green stuff has been around for a very long time. Millions of people who have used could not be wrong. The dex cool will actually "crystalize" and will clog your cooling system in turn costing you a new motor. All in all the Venture Van is very nice but the cost for repairs are astronomical. Just think the more options you have the more problems you will have.
kay

Lawrenceville, GA

#23 Jan 4, 2007
2002 venture same issues. Have had a leak for a while finally overheated, told it was water pump then manifold gaskets had these both replaced not still leaking and told it is the head gasket leaking. This is another $2200 should I fix or trade. only 83000 miles.
fed up!
kay

Lawrenceville, GA

#24 Jan 4, 2007
Whoops i meant it is still leaking
Therin

Provo, UT

#25 Jan 9, 2007
I have a Venture Van 2001. It has every one of the above listed problems and I've dumped thousands of dollars into repairs. What a joke engine!!! I've signed numerous online class action suits and petitions to get GM to recall this engine. What else can we do?
Red

Perry Point, MD

#26 Jan 25, 2007
Have 67k miles on my 2000 Venture LT. On inspection found signs of antifreeze leak and signs of sludge under oil filler cap. Mechanic says intake gaskets need to be replacedat cost of $727. Forum entrys indicate this is a problem with this vehicle/engine. What happens next? Is there a fix with 'stop leak' products for DexCool coolant?
Red

Perry Point, MD

#27 Jan 25, 2007
Therin wrote:
I have a Venture Van 2001. It has every one of the above listed problems and I've dumped thousands of dollars into repairs. What a joke engine!!! I've signed numerous online class action suits and petitions to get GM to recall this engine. What else can we do?
I suggest filing a complaint with 'Consumer Protection Office' with your States Attorney General!
Pep

Perry Point, MD

#28 Jan 25, 2007
kay wrote:
2002 venture same issues. Have had a leak for a while finally overheated, told it was water pump then manifold gaskets had these both replaced not still leaking and told it is the head gasket leaking. This is another $2200 should I fix or trade. only 83000 miles.
fed up!
In lieu of my filing a complaint with 'Consumer Protection' of Attorney General's Office, my dealer and Chevrolet, fixed mine without a charge.
Rick

Harrison, AR

#29 Feb 2, 2007
I have a 98 venture van, first it was the water pump. it was replaced later the thermostat stays open. one year later the thermostat is staying open again, did i forget to say, of course the intake gasket leaks. mechanic told me a constant problem for these vehicles. he had another venture waiting for a head gasket replacement before my repairs. this is the biggest peace of junk engine GM has turn out. they should replace every 3.4 with another engine size at there cost.
Big Ed

AOL

#30 Apr 1, 2007
My Olds van has been eating up antifreeze for 2-3 months. I started noticing a "tappet noise" out of the engine recently. I called around several shops and they are all familiar with this. The 3.4 motor had a subpar gasket installed when built.
The gasket allows the antifreeze pass by allowing the motor oil to be thinned out by the antifreeze.
Getting a "low oil " light periodically? You need to have the intake manifold gasket replaced with a better quality one and change the motor oil also.
On a whim, I went to the local chevy dealer for explanation- They worked with me, and I wound up paying a $200. deductible and GM would cover the rest.
Most shops wanted $400-800 dollars to do the job.
Good Luck!
Curtis

Van Buren, MO

#31 Apr 10, 2007
I have a 2001 Yukon with the 5.3 and 90K. When it starts in the morning, it clacks like a diesel. After a minute or two it'll quiet down but I too am adding dex-cool at least once a month. So much for wanting to keep this truck until it's a classic!
Michelle

Vista, CA

#32 Jun 26, 2007
I have a 2000 Daewoo Leganza. My car isn't overheating but everytime I stop all my coolant pours out on the street. i have to refill my resvoir every time. I cant seem to find where it is coming from and there is a lot of coolant hitting the ground, only when I turn the car off. When I am driving, the car is not overheating. Not sure what it is. Anyone know?
geoff

Luray, VA

#33 Jul 13, 2007
i have a 97 pontiac transport. the radiator doesnt get hot and it takes me a few times to start it i just changed the thermostat and all the hoses are fine what is the problem?
Rick

AOL

#34 Jul 22, 2007
The reason people are having a bigger problem than just an intake manifold leak is because of self dignosing the problem. Simply adding antifreeze is not enough. If you have less antifreeze that's the time to find out why. Adding antifreeze and moving on with life is how further damage is created. I noticed My 99'venture kept showing low fluid. I took it to a mechanic and he diagnosed the problem as a lower intake manifold leak. I took the van home and it will not move til I get the 700 he's asking to fix it. I understand people need thier car to get around but do you have the funds for bigger problems? Overall the car has been great. I would reccomend the vehicle as a family car with the caution to expect the intake manifold to go around the 50-70g mark. Unless there is a better american minivan without this problem I'll stick with my Venture.
BILL

Berea, OH

#35 Aug 2, 2007
ITS JUNK 1997 CHEVY VENTURE LOWER INTAKE GASGET SELL IT TRADE IT OR JUNK IT OR YOU CAN PART IT OUT ON EBAY I DID AND MADE SOME GOOD MONEY !!!!!
gordon

Canada

#36 Aug 6, 2007
Very disapointed with GM ignoring head gasket problems.
I have a 2002 and have been lucky so far. I am trading this month for a new KIA van. I would have to be crazy to buy another GM.
drunyon

AOL

#37 Sep 26, 2007
James wrote:
<quoted text> Sounds like either the head gasket or intake manifold gasket is pooched. There are pending lawsuits regarding this problem, do your best to look into how you can get involved!!!!
How would a person get in touch with any group for a lawsuit?
Reinhars

Baddeck, Canada

#38 Oct 4, 2007
Have owned a 97 trans sport since 99, and have put on over 200K. No doubt that at about 120K, the cooling issues begin. Its been that way with many on the GM V6 engines. It is a result of poorly manufactured intake gaskets. Its a $1500 job at your local mechanic, or with a little DIY knowledge strip the top end and replace it yourself. Purchase a kit with the plenum, intake and heads, yes if you're going to go to the intake, you might as well go to the heads. To do one without the other will only result in paying for the same job very shortly down the road. After doing this, there have been no recurring issues for the remiander of the life of the vehicle. Still driving.
kim

Port Elgin, Canada

#39 Nov 18, 2007
car runs hot almost in the red but blows cold air and it uses a gallon of antifreeze a week what could it be?
Frank

Punta Gorda, FL

#40 Nov 25, 2007
James wrote:
<quoted text> Sounds like either the head gasket or intake manifold gasket is pooched. There are pending lawsuits regarding this problem, do your best to look into how you can get involved!!!!
Do you have anything further on the lawsuits? I would like to get involved!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Venture Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chevy Venture overheating problem (Feb '09) 3 hr Dan 103
turn signal all bulbs flash and faster when you... (Aug '06) Wed bernie1 40
2003 Chevy Venture Stalling Aug 20 doitallman 1
Air shocks vs regular in '99 Venture Aug 18 Cparrent 1
I own a 2003 Venture Warner Bros. I have a rea... (Mar '08) Aug 15 Dpoulin 12
venture temperature gauge and cooling fans (May '07) Aug 15 NothingVentured 91
Air in cooling system. Overheating problem. (Mar '08) Aug 6 Becci 65
More from around the web