2002 Chevrolet Venture
First Prev
of 13
Next Last
Lorraine

United States

#1 Jun 16, 2006
Loved my old 1990 Lumina APV - it last 14 years, had over 200,000 mi. with just normal maintenance and minimum "other" repairs. That why we stayed with Chevy and purchased a 2002 Venture. It worked like a drea - until the warranty ran out. Four years after purchase with 77,000 mi., the A/C "blew up" - not only did that mean a replacement of the compressor, bur it sent chards of metals throughout the system and we also needed a condenser, hoses, etc. to the tune of over $1,900 - pricey repair for a car A/C that's only 4 years old! Now the fuel gauge has decided not to work (most of the time)-- I've seen other forums on the net that lead me to believe this is a fairly common problem with these vans. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Did it turn out to be a sensor that needed replacing, or a more costly replacement of the entire fuel system - another labor intensive pricey repair?
jamie young

Canada

#2 Jul 18, 2006
The float may be sticking on its slide. I used a bottle of injector cleaner in a tank of gas to clean things out. It fixed the problem for a couple of months. Now I plan to drop the tank and clean this thing by hand.
SERVICE MANAGER WILL

Millbrae, CA

#3 Jul 23, 2006
Lorraine wrote:
Loved my old 1990 Lumina APV - it last 14 years, had over 200,000 mi. with just normal maintenance and minimum "other" repairs. That why we stayed with Chevy and purchased a 2002 Venture. It worked like a drea - until the warranty ran out. Four years after purchase with 77,000 mi., the A/C "blew up" - not only did that mean a replacement of the compressor, bur it sent chards of metals throughout the system and we also needed a condenser, hoses, etc. to the tune of over $1,900 - pricey repair for a car A/C that's only 4 years old! Now the fuel gauge has decided not to work (most of the time)-- I've seen other forums on the net that lead me to believe this is a fairly common problem with these vans. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Did it turn out to be a sensor that needed replacing, or a more costly replacement of the entire fuel system - another labor intensive pricey repair?
USHALLY WHEN YOUR FUEL GAUGE IS READING IRRATIC OR ONLY WORKING INTERMITTENLY MOST OFTEN ON THIS TYPE OF VEHICLE IT IS THE FUEL GAUGE SENDING UNIT, I WOULD CALL AROUND AND ASK FIRST, HOW MUCH DO THEY CHARGE FOR DIAGNOSTICS AND DOES IT APPLY TOWARDS THE COST OF THE REPAIRS, IF THEY SAY YES THEN ASK HOW MUCH TO REMOVE AND REPLACE THE FUEL GAUGE SENDING UNIT, YOU ASK IN THIS ORDER FOR A REASON, BECASUE
YOU TRULY WANT TO GET THE BEST DEAL...
gary staudachel

Jeffersonville, IN

#4 Jul 27, 2006
I've got a 2002 Venture van, about 10 months ago it suddenly would not start, finally got it to kick over by trying and trying, no sound coming out of engine when it was dead, battery strong, happened again a few days later, garage put in new starter, happened two weeks later, then they put in new kill switch, happened again, took to new garage, started right away, couldn't find problem, five months go by with frequent use, won't start again on an almost daily basis, sometimes takes 20 seconds to start, sometimes 20 minutes, my job is that of a private investigator, I need it to work, any ideas are appreciated.
Mel

Calgary, Canada

#5 Jul 27, 2006
Hey, we're looking at buying a used 2002 Venture. 93000 kms, basic model except for A/C. Any advice or suggestions as to what to look out for. Sounds like the fuel gauge might be of particular concern...
Jozsef

Salmon Arm, Canada

#6 Aug 12, 2006
Love my 2002 Venture (ewb, 4 door Plus model). Got it brand-new, no problems other than A/C leaked, needed to replace condenser AFTER warranty expired! As for fuel gauge problem I have read about here, try this link, good info: http://auto.consumerguide.com/Auto/Used/revie...
john mills

United States

#7 Aug 26, 2006
i have a 2000 venture and also have a problem with the fuel gauge and i called a gm dealer and he tried to tell me it was bad gas causing this problem and i stated that how come ford and crysler dont have this problem and then he started to spit and studder
izanchor

Milton, Canada

#8 Sep 1, 2006
gary staudachel wrote:
I've got a 2002 Venture van, about 10 months ago it suddenly would not start, finally got it to kick over by trying and trying, no sound coming out of engine when it was dead, battery strong, happened again a few days later, garage put in new starter, happened two weeks later, then they put in new kill switch, happened again, took to new garage, started right away, couldn't find problem, five months go by with frequent use, won't start again on an almost daily basis, sometimes takes 20 seconds to start, sometimes 20 minutes, my job is that of a private investigator, I need it to work, any ideas are appreciated.
try checking for loose wire under the break pedal.. It happen on my Van aswell, and Try this shift your gear to neutral then turn on the ignition if it works then thats the proglem..Good luck
Eric jones

Lilliwaup, WA

#9 Sep 9, 2006
I have a 2002 chevy venture. Yesterday my wife was driving the van and it suddenly would not start. Ran all day upto about 3:00pm then it wouldn't start. Makes no noise, when you turn the key off the gauges start to bounce, and the cd player spins like it is trying to play. The power lokes even sound like they are trying to lock. any ideas or help anyone has would be greatly appreciated.
A Ballingall

Sudbury, Canada

#10 Sep 12, 2006
Mel wrote:
Hey, we're looking at buying a used 2002 Venture. 93000 kms, basic model except for A/C. Any advice or suggestions as to what to look out for. Sounds like the fuel gauge might be of particular concern...
Don't buy one they are garbage lots of money on Repairs. I would never buy another one again
A Ballingall ONtario

Sudbury, Canada

#11 Sep 12, 2006
These vans are garbage we replaced the intakes and the lifters the AC has gone on it and now i have a Transmisson leak. The rear hatch handle broke off and the van is rusting out. And the lease isn't even over yet. The seats are a pain to take in and out. Not very user friendly. And don't get me started on the head light system. I drive with my high beams on and i can't see a thing at night. O lord and if it is raining good luck i spent the first few months with my wipers going anywhere but loose. And the windsheild must have a film over it because you can't see clearly. I wish the piece of junk would blow up. So Don't ever buy these high priced Crap
Serge ON

Ailsa Craig, Canada

#12 Dec 5, 2006
Reading all this I feel very lucky with my 2002 Venture with blower working only at 4 and 5 (nothing at all at 1, 2, 3) and dripping oil on my newly renovated brick driveway. Looks like it is better to buy another vehicle than investing in any repairs. Any suggestions which one to go with?
Brad

Costa Mesa, CA

#13 Dec 12, 2006
gary staudachel wrote:
check this link out--look under 'hard-starting'
http://auto.consumerguide.com/Auto/Used/revie...
Brad

Costa Mesa, CA

#14 Dec 12, 2006
Eric jones wrote:
I have a 2002 chevy venture. Yesterday my wife was driving the van and it suddenly would not start. Ran all day upto about 3:00pm then it wouldn't start. Makes no noise, when you turn the key off the gauges start to bounce, and the cd player spins like it is trying to play. The power lokes even sound like they are trying to lock. any ideas or help anyone has would be greatly appreciated.
check this link out--look under 'hard starting'
http://auto.consumerguide.com/Auto/Used/revie...
Don Fisher

Wake Forest, NC

#15 Dec 27, 2006
Eric jones wrote:
My step-daughter has same problem. I found what I beleive to be a temporary fix. Check for voltage at the red terminal going into the underhood fuse-circuit breaker box. If there is no volts, run a jumper wire from the positive (red) terminal on the battery to the red cable on the underhood fuse box. Everything works and drives. I am looking for a electrical system diagram for the vehicle to see what I by-passed, but it works and drives. If anyone knows where I can get a book or diagram please let me know
mechanic guy

Canada

#16 Dec 29, 2006
A buddy of mine went through the same thing with his, turned out to be loose wiring at the ignition switch or coluum area dont hurt to take a look
gary staudachel wrote:
Brian-Upstate NY

United States

#17 Dec 29, 2006
Serge ON wrote:
Reading all this I feel very lucky with my 2002 Venture with blower working only at 4 and 5 (nothing at all at 1, 2, 3) and dripping oil on my newly renovated brick driveway. Looks like it is better to buy another vehicle than investing in any repairs. Any suggestions which one to go with?
I have this same problem and the dealer told me it was a resistor. I replaced this and it is still a problem. I am going to try the blower unit next.

I have also had the common headlights full of water, transmission leak, and intake manifold coolant leak. I have also seen this leak on a used vehicle I looked at to buy.

My Cruise Control has now quit. Has anyone had this problem? Does the entire module need to be changed out?
LONNY

AOL

#18 Jan 2, 2007
Lorraine wrote:
WE TO HAVE A 2002 VENTURE A/C BLEW $1923. ENTIRE VACATION SAVINGS WHOLE FAMILY MAD. "DEAF EARS CATCH NO BIRDS" GM MANAGEMENT REFUSED TO ADJUST COST TO REPAIR!
Marlene

Knoxville, TN

#19 Feb 10, 2007
On my 2000 venture the gas gage works till it gets below half then the needle jumps back up to full. I've had a $700. tuneup, replaced the thermostat $265. The blower works but not very poerful. Ican drive for an hour and vans not hot. Cruise controll stopped working, back window switch stopped working and yesterday the power windows stopped working.
SEAN

Montgomery, AL

#20 Feb 15, 2007
My 2002 Venture was purchased in NJ. No problems until warranty expired. Blown head gasket, then cracked head followed by A/C condenser going. What kind of vehicles are GM put out these days? CRAP!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 13
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Venture* Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
1998 chevy venture will not start (Apr '07) Aug 13 Ricaninks 41
Wipers stay in up position (Mar '07) Aug 13 Rob 72 29
Chevy Venture overheating problem (Feb '09) Aug 11 Tara 106
2000 chevy venture wont start (Apr '11) Aug 2 dave 67
2004 chevy venture Jul 19 Jaimev31 2
1999 Venture transmission (Jun '07) Jul '17 Amy 32
No turn signals Jul '17 Billy01 1
More from around the web