Air in cooling system. Overheating pr...

Air in cooling system. Overheating problem.

Posted in the Chevrolet Venture Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Daniel gallop

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Mar 8, 2008
I have a 2000 Venture and have been battling an overheating problem for 2 years. I was having coolant loss and was getting air in the system which would cause the vehicle to overheat. I would then have to bleed the air out by using the air bleeding valve located on top of the water pump side of the engine. I replaced the lower manifold and upper manifold gaskets, the water pump, the thermostat, overflow tank hose and the radiator cap. I still have the problem of air getting into the system. If the car sits in the cold for more than a few hours, you have to keep bleeding the system until it is at full heat. It seems the colder it is, the more this happens. It almost seems that when the enging cools off that rapidly, air is getting pulled in from somewhere. When the temp is warm out like 20 to 30 degrees, the system doesn't have this problem. There is never any visible leaking under the vehicle either. I have tried everything I can think of, if anyone has had or heard of this problem, please HELP!!!
Michael

Hamburg, NY

#2 Dec 14, 2008
Any luck with your problem, I have a similar one myself and have battling it for about 2 years now also.

Thanks,
Michael
Mark

Lockport, NY

#3 Feb 26, 2009
Daniel gallop wrote:
I have a 2000 Venture and have been battling an overheating problem for 2 years. I was having coolant loss and was getting air in the system which would cause the vehicle to overheat. I would then have to bleed the air out by using the air bleeding valve located on top of the water pump side of the engine. I replaced the lower manifold and upper manifold gaskets, the water pump, the thermostat, overflow tank hose and the radiator cap. I still have the problem of air getting into the system. If the car sits in the cold for more than a few hours, you have to keep bleeding the system until it is at full heat. It seems the colder it is, the more this happens. It almost seems that when the enging cools off that rapidly, air is getting pulled in from somewhere. When the temp is warm out like 20 to 30 degrees, the system doesn't have this problem. There is never any visible leaking under the vehicle either. I have tried everything I can think of, if anyone has had or heard of this problem, please HELP!!!
Dan you might want to check out your freeze plugs in the engine block, they are steel and sometimes they corrode and could be leaking. There are six freezeplugs/expansion plugs in the engine block, and very hard to tell if they are leaking, but this could be your problem. If you find that your problem is a freeze plug, have the job done by a mechanic, because the engine comartment is very tight with very little room to work.
Mark

Lockport, NY

#4 Feb 26, 2009
Michael wrote:
Any luck with your problem, I have a similar one myself and have battling it for about 2 years now also.
Thanks,
Michael
Mike, Just as I wrote to dan, you might want to check out your freeze plugs/expansion plugs on engine block. Very hard to tell if they are leaking, but air can get in and cause no heat issue. I have a 2003 chevy venture with only 44,000 miles and my freeze plug/expansion plug was bad, and leaking ever so slightly. This caused me to have no heat, and my temp gauge was almost in the red. I thought it was my thermostat because I was not seeing any coolant on my driveway. When you have a freeze plug/expansion plug leak its hard to tell because the ngine gets so hot it dries before you can see any wet spots. Good luck, and if you find it is a freeze plug take your vehicle to a mechanic, to much trouble to do this job.
edward

Ephrata, PA

#5 Mar 5, 2009
I have a chev venture 2000. Seems to be air in the system same as the problem that Mark and M<ichael had. I had the freezed plugs replaced along with thermostat etc. tem gauge has gone up into the red but engine does not seem to be overheating and no leaks on the ground. I did loosen the cap and air as well as fluid ran out and prior to this I was getting no hot air out of heater, then it was very hot for a while and later the same thing happened. I have lost very little anti freeze and am still having problems.
marteen-j

Marietta, GA

#6 Apr 14, 2009
If you are getting bubbles coming up in the radiator, then the head gasket is leaking. Typical symptoms related to GM using dexcool with inferior gaskets, etc. Usually the intake gaskets or the head gaskets. For more info, search the internet for dexcool litigation to see if you are covered in the class action.
midget

Maple Ridge, Canada

#7 May 22, 2009
i have a 2002 venture which recently had to change to water pump but prior to noticed some crap build up in the cooling system. After new water pump and several flushes still over heating issues plus when heat gauge high mostly cold air coming out of air ducts?
victor

Carmichael, CA

#8 Sep 26, 2009
Well i having a problem with my 2004 Chevrolet impala with overheating change radiator, thermostat, but system seem to have a lot of air trapped in the system.bled the system to see what going to happening. i did not no that that it's was a recall on Dex cool? but what you think.
Bill

Bowling Green, OH

#9 Oct 30, 2009
Daniel gallop wrote:
There is a small hose in front of water pump coming from black metal water return with pinch clamp on it.Change this clamp to a wormdrive clamp.
Bill

Bowling Green, OH

#10 Oct 30, 2009
I had this problem also in my 2001 venture so like most people I changed my thermostat and still had same problem.I then realized the heat sensor is real close to thermostat causing it to read hot air not coolant temperature.I found air leaking is befor the water pump on a small hose coming from coolant rail into water pump housing. I change the clamp to a wormdrive clamp and have had no problem since.
Edward

Flushing, MI

#11 Dec 16, 2009
I have a 2003 venture. I have had a cooling problem for years. Like you other guys, I found a ton of gunk in my fluid. I flushed it out with water for a week and changed the thermostat. This worked for a while, then found a head gasket leak. The rear head of course. Changed that and the intake gaskets. Worked for a while then found build up of more gunk at the radiator cap that prevented the fluid from transfering from the overflow. New cap worked for a while then extreme cold (single digit temps) comes and no heat and over heated the engine (wife driving). I hear it bubbling but radiator and overflow is full. It acts like there is air in the system but can't burp it out. I'll have to try that plug on top of the water pump. Took it to the shop and they said they can't find the problem and told me it may be a cracked block or head. This doesn't sound right. Pressure is building inside the system. If they are right about the cracks, I should not have pressure building, it should be falling.
learned to hate chevys

Bennington, VT

#12 Jan 13, 2010
had all the above problems, ended up disconnecting both hoses to the rear heater core, and just using the front one , problem solved, this is after 2 weeks of chasing over heating and no heat .Lines to back heater core where cold about 1/2 way back and couldn't get get any anti freeze back there , changed intake gaskets , water pump , rad cap, all hoses , this is what fixed for me , chevy should be real proud of his design , never again will we qwn a chevy of any model
GM-Tech

Dyer, IN

#13 Jan 16, 2010
Daniel gallop wrote:
Need to have the rear head gasket inspected. When they have problems, it forces combustion gases into the cooling system- air pocket.
Causes overheating, no heat from heater, boiling out, etc.
Can see some residue on the back passenger side of the rear head from under van. Or pull the rear plugs and may see they re burning coolant.
www.GreatAutoHelp.com
Edward

Lansing, MI

#14 Jan 20, 2010
I just replaced the rear head gasket and intake gasket. I did not have the heads milled down though. I did put new bolts in them. That sounds logical about the exhaust air going into the cooling system. However, it took me 6, 12 hour days to change that rear head gasket. I'm not going to change it again because I donated the van to charity and baught a Toyota Highlander with the extended warranty to 100,000 miles. I read some of the litigation between GM and the Dexcool manufacturer, and came to my own conclusion that GM installed cheap gaskets. My engine parts, including the water pump, were in fine shape. The "gunk" that I found before was probably the gaskets breaking down. Again, that is my own conclusion.
JoeB

Shortsville, NY

#15 Feb 5, 2010
I have a 1997 ford f150 4.6 Truck overheats if not allowed to warm up at idle for 15-20 minutes prior to driving. Changed thermostat any ideas...
chris kirk gm world tech

Decatur, GA

#16 Feb 18, 2010
These vans are one of the hardest to bleed, even more so if it has rear ac/heat. the best way to bleed the air out of the system so it wont overheat or so the gauge will not fluctuate. install a funnel on the radiator fill, you may have to remove the bar in the way. you then need to lift the van about 3 to 4 feet in the front to bring the bleeders higher than the heater hoses in the back. fill the funnel, open the bleeders to get the first bit of air out, close the bleeders and start the van, let the van warm up, let the thermostat open and close a few times while making sure the funnel stays full. open the bleeders one more time after the bubbles stop coming out of the funnel. shut off the van, reinstall the radiator car and lower the vehicle. let the van cool completely, and test drive.
Darryl M

Montréal, Canada

#17 Feb 18, 2010
I understand how these can be disappointing for the people involved. Same problem and fixed by replascing the headgasket a month ago. Problem solved. I thought it mihght be something i had over looked,The van would not overheat while it was idling in the garage. no codes, gave out good heat when standing still and bled all air out. Felt it was fixed, Then take it to go somewhere, and No heat, overflow tank full, and gauge pegged. Stop and allow to cool. Only under load would it do it. Had a pressure test done, difficult on back part of engine, and behold, small leak but will produce large pressures under load, fill coolant jacket with air in no time. Don't fool your selves, is the head gasket. Bleeders will take care of itself.
Edward

Lansing, MI

#18 Feb 19, 2010
I believe I MAY have this problem solved. You need to replace both head gaskets and the intake gasket. You also need to have the heads checked for warppage and milled if they are warpped. Reinstall the heads with new head bolts as well. You MAY also need to change the water pump gasket, but mine was fine when I checked it. I no longer have this vehicle, as I stated earlier, I donated the 2003 chevy venture to charity. When I was taking off the rear head, I found that the bolts inside the valve cover were much tighter than the bolts on the outside of the cover. I found this to be very strange since the book tells you to use the same amount of torque to install on all bolts. Anyway, good luck to all of you that are still trying to fix this piece of junk 3.4 liter V6 that GM put out. I hope this helps.
keith-hollingswo rth

United States

#20 Apr 22, 2010
My wife came home last night from a quick errand. Her 2004 Chevrolet Venture was making a rough sound and there was a strong smell of coolant in the air. There isn't a leak anywhere and the fluid levels are fine but the van won't start now. I'm thinking either the water pump or the thermostat. Additionally, her AC quit working about 2 weeks ago (not sure if this is connected or not). Any suggestions?
Leigh

Jackson, MS

#21 Jan 20, 2011
I have a 2000 chevy venture. and it's making a click noise that i have been told is the lifters sticking.but it stops clicking once the engine warms up. what do I need to do?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Venture Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
car slows down Tue 2003 venture owner 1
where is the flasher/relay located on a 2000 ch... (Apr '07) Jun 26 Banogon 20
Low colant light blinks (Feb '06) Jun 26 Bob 12
2001 Venture - passenger side power window (Jul '07) Jun 25 Tony 42
Chevy Venture overheating problem (Feb '09) Jun 23 Todd 100
2000 chevy venture wont start (Apr '11) Jun 23 Ryan 57
venture temperature gauge and cooling fans (May '07) Jun 18 Shonetta 86
More from around the web