1998 Venture Window problems both win...

1998 Venture Window problems both windows

Posted in the Chevrolet Venture Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Melissa

Portland, ME

#1 Aug 31, 2007
Drivers side window if it goes all the way down it comes off the track. When rolling up the window you have to push it to go up straight.
Anyone know about this and how to fix it?

Passenger side window.
If the window goes down even a crack will not go back up!
anyone?
Reinhars

Halifax, Canada

#2 Oct 4, 2007
These windows are a huge pain. If it is not the switches corroding and only working in one direction, which is likely the case in your passenger side, its the failure of the regulator. The only fix is to pay to have the components replaced, or take the switches apart yourself and clean the corrosion. As for the regulator, it must be replced, there is no fix. I advise grabbing the window from both sides, inside and out, and pulling it as someone else puts up the switch. Put it up and keep it up. If the regulator is so far off the track that it cannot be put up, you must take the door panel off and put it back on manually and put it up, and tell everyone not to touch it.
Denise

Somerset, WI

#3 Jan 26, 2008
If this is a problem with so many ventures, why does Chevrelet fix the problem and give some kind of recall. I am on my third time fixing the drivers side and second on the passengers side.
POS in MI

United States

#4 Jan 30, 2008
My wife's 2002 Venture had a corroded passenger switch which cost $150.00 to replace and repair. My next mini van will NOT be a GM product.
Dennis

Oshawa, Canada

#5 Feb 8, 2008
I'm only 13 years of age but i know that i didnt break my moms window in her 2002 Chevy Ventura, Now i really like what Denise said that if it happens often why dosent chevy just make a better window than just having to replace it time after time...
Now this was the first time I've seen this happen but now i know that the regularor is busted on the passengures side!!! if anyone can give me tips on how to fing a non-expencive way to fix this problem that would be great!!!
Scott

Sudbury, Canada

#6 Apr 5, 2008
i dont think it has to do with the switches.. if your having the same problem like me.. im working on a friend of my fathers and it completely goes off track.. the window sits on a cross bar where it connects to a riser... they should have two guides to go up the door like chrysler's have... chrysler is the best vehicle to work on its basic. it took me to change a power window to a manual window on my caravan a half hour... im trying to get the window allined on a venture so far 1 hour..
Nick Iowa

Livermore, CA

#7 Oct 21, 2008
This is a big problem in theese vans. its not electrical it mechanical. the window tries to slide forward and gets jamed, try pushing it backwards when you roll it up. there really isnt a way to fix it.
Nick

Livermore, CA

#8 Oct 21, 2008
try squirting some lube in the front track where the window slides up and down. it just worked for me
Nita

Dublin, CA

#9 Oct 23, 2008
My 1998 Venture passenger side window get stuck when it get's hot, and the Driver's side window go's off track. Now both window's are stuck and I hope by morning they will roll up.
Jim

Maineville, OH

#10 Nov 23, 2008
You will need to take off the door panel on the drivers side. First remove the two bolts one at the door handle and one in the center of the panel. Then remove the switch cover your switches attach to with a butter knife by lightly prying up on cover and then disconnect swithes so you can remove the panel. Pry around the door until plastic clips are free [you will need to replace them before putting panel back on and can be bought at Autozone or etc. Peel the plastic cover with adhesive off [this can be easily put back on as the adhesive will still be sticky. Reinstall the window switch now so you can operate the window with the panel off. Take window down close to the bottom where you can see the metal bar with the arms that raise and lower the window. Lube the bar with vaseline or grease on ends and middle. You will also see a plastic arm that is attached with a bolt that allows that armiture to move freely. Loosen it and move it towards the bottom and tighten [do not over tighten it is plastic. Then try your window. It make take a few times for the bar to get well lubed but you will find your window will work better and faster. Also lube both sides of the weatherstripping on sides of the door and your window should work much better. I can't guarantee your window won't start to go off track but I had the same problem and now my window just kicks out very slightly only at one point but goes right back. Then reinstall making sure your plastic is on, swithces are through the plastic, clips that are broke replaced, 2 bolts back in, switches and cover attached. Thanks hope it helps the headache. It did me. PS as for swithes going out. Do not let any rain water get in while smoking or what not. Propably the reason why people complain about switches going and a window that moves esily is less load on motors and switches.
Jim

Maineville, OH

#11 Nov 24, 2008
Oh. Also never try to roll down or use your power window in real cold or icy weather until it is completely thawed and ice removed as the window will bind causing it to not track properly.
Reinhars

Halifax, Canada

#12 Feb 11, 2009
This is also contributed to worn rubber tracks in the window. Remove the window then remove the rubber track at the front of the window opening. You'll likely find a worn hole through the rubber, this is what causes the window to catch and become stuck on the way up. Replace the rubber, solves all the problems.
kim_mudflap

Dayton, OH

#13 Apr 13, 2009
I have a 98 with the passenger side window will go down, but not up, motor has been replaced, and neither switch, driver or passenger will work on up, down yes. Now my wife's 99 driver side does the same thing, down but not up. The motors seem to be good. The 98 passenger side does get voltage right to the motor connector but refuses to work. Is it possible the connector has corrosion or broken part right at that point? The down side has voltage and works, but won't work up.
teachnu88

Wilmington, NC

#14 Aug 14, 2009
With our 02 Venture, the passenger window won't go up-it was decided that it needed a new motor. got the new motor but ended up manually pulling the window up. it will go down-but won't go back up. You can hear the motor working it's just not doing it's job. Suggestions? Is this electrical?
Glenn

Portsmouth, VA

#15 Aug 20, 2009
Melissa wrote:
Drivers side window if it goes all the way down it comes off the track. When rolling up the window you have to push it to go up straight.
Anyone know about this and how to fix it?
Passenger side window.
If the window goes down even a crack will not go back up!
anyone?
I experienced the same problem with my 98 Ventura, the driver's window would not go all the way up without help.
In replaced the power window assembly with one I got at a junk yard, but had the same problem. Th e glass would tilt slightly, causing it to bind in the track. I removed the power window assembly and cut the idler arm,(there are two arms which drive the window up and down, the main or power arm , and the second, or idler arm) and added about 5 degrees to the upward direction. I then reinforced the arm by welding a small steel plate over the cut. The added dimension makes up for wear in the assembly, which is what was causing the glass to tilt.
After reinstalling, it works great. Beats the price of a replacement unit.
Glenn

Portsmouth, VA

#16 Aug 20, 2009
teachnu88 wrote:
With our 02 Venture, the passenger window won't go up-it was decided that it needed a new motor. got the new motor but ended up manually pulling the window up. it will go down-but won't go back up. You can hear the motor working it's just not doing it's job. Suggestions? Is this electrical?
If you can hear the motor running, but the window doesn't move, the problem is in the gearbox.
Remove the panel and check it out further, you probably need the power regulator assembly. You can get one at a junk yard, but it may be worn out as well. Good luck.
Glenn

Portsmouth, VA

#17 Aug 20, 2009
Nick Iowa wrote:
This is a big problem in theese vans. its not electrical it mechanical. the window tries to slide forward and gets jamed, try pushing it backwards when you roll it up. there really isnt a way to fix it.
There is a way to fix this problem, look at my post later in this column.
Rick

Poughkeepsie, NY

#18 Mar 22, 2010
Nick Iowa wrote:
I had the same problem and it took me about 15 minutes to fix it. Here is what I did:

1. Pop out the switches with a flat blade screwdriver. Insert under the rear of switches to release the clip.

2. remove the wire plugs from the switches.

3. remove 2 bolts from the door panel: 1 is just under the inside door handle, and the other is under the switch plat ( you can see it when you remove the switch plate).

4. Work your way around the door panel and pop out the "T clips that hold the door panel on.

5. Peel back the plastic weather gaurd so you can get at the track.

6. If it came off track you will see the arm and the post that fits into the track.

7. Remove the little nut that holds on the track, unbend the arm (if its bent) take out the track and slide the post back into it.

8. replace the track with the Arm and post attached, and replace the nut that holds it on.

9. replace door panel in reverse order.

10. total job time for me was 15 minutes, and I am NOT a mechanic.
steve

Walkersville, MD

#19 Aug 15, 2010
2003 Chevy Venture with similar problem. The glass tilts forward when it gets a little past half way up. I read this forum and then lubed the front and rear rubber tracks with spray silicone lube. Fixed!(of course, I took the door apart first before I searched for solutions!)
mitch

North Salem, IN

#20 Oct 15, 2010
Glenn wrote:
<quoted text>
I experienced the same problem with my 98 Ventura, the driver's window would not go all the way up without help.
In replaced the power window assembly with one I got at a junk yard, but had the same problem. Th e glass would tilt slightly, causing it to bind in the track. I removed the power window assembly and cut the idler arm,(there are two arms which drive the window up and down, the main or power arm , and the second, or idler arm) and added about 5 degrees to the upward direction. I then reinforced the arm by welding a small steel plate over the cut. The added dimension makes up for wear in the assembly, which is what was causing the glass to tilt.
After reinstalling, it works great. Beats the price of a replacement unit.
a replacement regulator is only 20-25 bucks. Just buy a new one and be done.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Venture Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
1998 chevy venture will not start (Apr '07) Thu shaggy79 32
turn signal all bulbs flash and faster when you... (Aug '06) Jul 29 jay44th 36
2001 Chevy Venture - Windshield Wipers are stuc... (Jan '11) Jul 28 Katrina 6
03 Venture CD player "check CD" Message (Oct '06) Jul 20 Smartinez1116 13
1999 Chevrolet Venture Temperature Gauge (Feb '06) Jul 14 Bhiveranch 213
1999 Chevy Venture driver's door lock will not ... Jul 4 cjtmoore 1
03 Venture No Brake Lights (Aug '06) Jun '15 Paul Simms 148
More from around the web