Mike

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Sep 28, 2011
My friend recently had the problem of his key getting stuck in his ignition of his 2002 Chevy Trailblazer. After reading from a bunch of self help forums we were able to figure the problem was between two issues.(1) The battery was dead, or (2) the ignition switch was bad .(It has been a noted issue that when the battery dies on the 2002 Chevy Trailblazer it locks the key in its ignition which if you already hated this SUV here is another reason to hate it) First things first on the 2002 Chevy trailblazer there is a black plastic cap on the steering wheel column below the shifter on the right side ( You might not notice it at first). You need to take a small screwdriver and remove that small plastic cap. Once the cap is removed you will see a semi metallic tube inside of the hole. Use the small screw driver and depress the button and turn your key at the same time. This button is your emergency release button for the 2002 Chevy Trailblazer. After that is completed you finally can go to step 1. In order to remove the battery from the 2002 Chevy Trailblazer you’ll need a socket set and whatever tool you use for the battery cables. You will have to remove the black plastic panel that is under the hood that is held by clips, you will have to remove the stabilization bar that holds the battery in place (it’s held by 3 bolts: two on each side of the frame and one on the battery itself). Once the bar is removed you will have to remove that battery case covering, and then unscrew the screw that is on the back side of the battery on its right side that holds the batter in place. Once you remove the battery get it tested at any auto parts store 9we went to Fleet Farm it’s free so is O’ Riley’s). If the battery comes up dead that then was the issue and it wasn’t the ignition switch. When you are about to replace the battery remember one thing. Before you hook up the battery cable put your key into the ignition (don’t start it though). You may have to put the key to the “On position” but you will not have to start it up. The reason for this is if you fail to do so the car alarm will sound because it things your stealing itself. At this point in time your car should be up and running if it was the battery issue.

If that still doesn’t work then you have issue 2 the bad ignition switch . I am not an expert on the ignition switch but there was a good YouTube from a guy who replaced the ignition switch. Here was my key word search “2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer, No Blower, ABS & Brake Lights On” and here is the exact You Tube link

I hope this has been helpful.
sky6000

Gibsons, Canada

#2 Dec 3, 2012
where is the timing selenoid
sky6000

Gibsons, Canada

#3 Dec 3, 2012
engine misses at low idle
Shaman

Southerly North Slope Bo, AK

#4 Dec 21, 2013
IF YOU handled the floor shifter heavily there is a shift locking solenoid there that can be damaged.
Shaman

Southerly North Slope Bo, AK

#5 Dec 21, 2013
Also undernth the key is gray button covered by a plug. press the button to remove the key. Also the shift locking solenoid is part of the floor shifter ass'mbly which may not be sold separately. Hope that helped you!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet TrailBlazer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Car shuts off when A/C on (Jul '07) 11 hr mireeje 100
2003 TB low beam headlights keep going out (Sep '08) Sep 17 Danman 73
trailblazer Sep 15 taz 63 1
front brake noise Sep 10 Brian 2
Trailblazer gas mileage (Mar '06) Sep 9 richardhawj 107
Trailblazer just shut off! (Jun '06) Sep 6 Wilson 224
Ignition switch? key won't turn (Feb '07) Sep 5 Richard Haire 55

Buy a New Car

Zipcode:
•••