Why did they stop making the tracker?...

Why did they stop making the tracker?? & Do any of you suggest buying one?

Posted in the Chevrolet Tracker* Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Rabbit

Lincolnton, NC

#1 Jun 15, 2008
Hello everyone! I have 2 questions?

(1) Why did they stop making the the tracker and what replaced it.

(2) I am looking to purchase a smaller type suv that gets good fuel mileage and I have looked at the equinox and HHR (even though not a suv) I like the amount of space and was wondering what anyone thought. My husband is 6'6" is he going to have enough leg room when driving this vehicle? Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.

THANKS!
Mike

Holdingford, MN

#2 Jun 19, 2008
I am 6'4" and drive a 2000 Tracker 4 cyl, Auto, 4dr 4WD. I feel I do have adequate room. Your hubby will have to be sure the steering wheel is tilted up before enterring and exiting the vehicle.

FYI - I get 22 to 24 miles per gallon. I expected more but I can live with that.
Kris

Lakeville, MN

#3 Nov 5, 2008
The Chevy Tracker is a Suzuki Grand Vitara built in Ontario Canada Calmari(?), shipped to the US as a Chevy. They didn't sell as GM hoped and cut the line off in 2005. The Suzuki XL7 may have more leg room.
I'm 6'2" and there's 5-6 inches head room left in my 2002 ZR2.
Ford did the same with Mazda and named it the Escape.
Joey

United States

#5 Mar 9, 2009
Chase Polk wrote:
<quoted text> In awnser to your early question about what replaced the tracker the chevy equinox replaced it in 2005 it is significantly better than the tracker and a much tougher vehicle I have test drove it and it is nice. Gm discontinued the tracker in 04 because they had a lot of problems with it.
To respond to your mention that they discontinued the Tracker because they had a lot of problems with it is completely invalid. They did not sell as many of them as expected so they released the Equinox in it's place but it had nothing to do with any issues on the Tracker. The Tracker is a great running vehicle with very strong consumer reports.
Dwayne

Moncton, Canada

#6 Mar 25, 2010
If they had a lot of problems with the tracker then mine must be the eception to that .
I own a 2001 2.0L auto and have been driving it for 8 yrs, Other than doing routine repairs such as brakes and oil changes i have just started to have to replace stuff like the exhaust last year and lower ball joints and a wheel bearing this year.
This little SUV has 302,000 km on it and still runs like a top . And i don't baby it .
Elaine

Edmonton, Canada

#7 Aug 10, 2010
I have a 1996 Tracker with 457000 kilometers on it. I'm not ready to give it up. What a great vehicle!!!
Konita

Albany, NY

#8 Aug 25, 2011
Joey wrote:
<quoted text>
To respond to your mention that they discontinued the Tracker because they had a lot of problems with it is completely invalid. They did not sell as many of them as expected so they released the Equinox in it's place but it had nothing to do with any issues on the Tracker. The Tracker is a great running vehicle with very strong consumer reports.
I own a 2004 tracker...luv it! I get 33 MPG city & 28+ hwy. There are no unusual problems with the tracker. Normal use, even some off roading (4wd) and the only repairs as of 61K is rear wheel bearings and an oxygen sensor. The tracker rules ! The equinox isnt even an SUV...it's a hyped up station wagon you'd never catch a true Tracker fan driving. Wish they would have sold more and continued the line 'cause I'd be driving a newer one!
Steve

Lewiston, ME

#9 Sep 7, 2011
I have a 2002 Tracker convertible with 70,000 miles, and I have replaced NOTHING except the battery and windshield wipers.
Tyrone

Red Deer, Canada

#10 Dec 8, 2011
We bought a '03 Tracker LXT in '06, had it for 5 years and never had any problems with it. We thoroughly enjoyed the SUV until totaled a few weeks ago. We even had people come to our door and ask if we were interested selling it. Now we're looking for another one. Four cyl. a little underpowered but hey, good enough for us...
Mike

United States

#11 Dec 29, 2011
I own a 2001 2 door, soft top, 4 speed, 4x4, 2.0 liter Tracker with 180,000 miles and love everything about it. I live in NE Wisconsin and it is an all around 4 season vehicle. Wished I owned a fleet of em.
Mike

United States

#12 Dec 29, 2011
I live south of Green Bay.
Exxon

Lewisville, TX

#13 Jan 9, 2012
i just bought myself a 2003 LXT Tracker V6 only 72,000 miles the owner before kept it in top notch shape & i love it because it looks small from the outside but in the inside its so spacious im only 5'10 but im a big dude 250lbs and its perfect before i had a 97 MonteCarlo LS v6 i love it as well but it was a pain in the but because it was low to the ground and it was very long as well sometimes made it hard to get out of parking spots but with the tracker no problem at all.
Leelee

Chicago, IL

#14 Feb 16, 2013
I have had my Tracker since 1999. It has 136000 miles and going strong! It has been the most reliable car I have ever had. It gets awesome mileage and its 4 wheel drive gives me a powerful vehicle without the size..
I'm hoping by the time my tracker has run its last wheel, maybe someone will smarten up and come out with an Electric Tracker. Until then I'm not giving up my Traker anytime soon.:)
freeman p allen

United States

#15 Mar 24, 2013
I own a 2000 tracker 2wd 4 dr 2.0 lyrics 4cyl. I put a fuel filter fuel pump n strainer filter on it yesterday spent 600 on labor n parts still not running starter fluic fuses under. Hood still will not run someone told me to check relay switches. How do u no where or which one is the fuel pump relay? [email protected]
Jude

Mableton, GA

#16 May 1, 2013
freeman p allen wrote:
I own a 2000 tracker 2wd 4 dr 2.0 lyrics 4cyl. I put a fuel filter fuel pump n strainer filter on it yesterday spent 600 on labor n parts still not running starter fluic fuses under. Hood still will not run someone told me to check relay switches. How do u no where or which one is the fuel pump relay? [email protected]
D
What problems were you having that lead you to put a fuel pump on. Was service engine light coming on? When you put your ear to your open gas filler tube and turn the switch on(but do not crank) can you hear a whirring noise? If so you fuel pump is working. Need more info.
Mia D

Cary, NC

#17 Jun 22, 2013
Oh, how I miss my '03 Tracker. I bought it new. Loved it, loved it, loved it. Bought while living in the Pacific Northwest and drove it back home east. It was a 5-speed with luggage/ski racks on top and running sideboards. Only maintenance I had to do was oil changes. O sensor had to be replaced in 2005, but it was still under warranty, so no cost to me. Toward the end it needed brakes & the engine light was coming on at 86,000+ mi, but it still drove like a dream.

Unfortunately, 2008 recession happened, where I lost my job and thus my tracker. Had only about a year left to pay on it also. Now, I'm back on my feet & looking for another small SUV & would like to purchase another tracker. I see however they discontinued making them in '04. Bummer, as I would have liked to have purchased a newer model. I'm on the hunt though for an '03 or '04. It was my 2nd Chevy I owned and I have nothing but great experiences with Chevys.
snaggs

Toronto, Canada

#18 Dec 12, 2013
I own a 99 suzuki vitara( same as tracker) 2dr hardtop, 5 speed 4 cylinder. Bought it 3 years ago with 120 km on it it now has 165 km. I get average 28 mpg and only use it in winter. Had no problems with, but i do my routine maintenance. Best winter vehicle i ever own and plan on keeping it. I live in nova scotia canada ( rust country) I keep it well under coated and wash the salt off it everytime i get a chance. One of my smarter purchaces. Only regert is i should have bought it sooner
Chintastic

West Des Moines, IA

#19 Nov 23, 2014
If you ever have a chance to get one of these beautiful machines DO IT. 2002 Tracker was the best car I ever had. I got mine in '06 and never had to replace anything but the battery. She always started even in cold cold weather. It's the perfect size, that you can park anywhere! I recently got hit by a drunk driver while I was sitting at a stop light and am now on the hunt for a new car. Unfortunatly I can seem to find one in good condition near me so am checking out other options. Test drove an 2010 equinox- what a joke, 2013 jeep compass- felt cheaply made, and an '08 Rav4- my favorite of the three because sitting in it I was reminded on my tracker.
2002 tracker

Geraldton, Canada

#20 Nov 26, 2014
worst vehicle ive ever owned. have replaced every part now it quit running suddenly no spark any ideas
Eric

Arlington, TX

#21 Apr 6, 2015
I've had one from 100k-135k, bpught used off a lot.

It's an 02 2.0 2wd. It's not great, but it's ont terrible. It doesn't have any power at all, of course, but it gets decent fuel mileage.

I've replaced the cat, the spark plugs, valve cover, the ckp sensor (which would cause it to die when it got a little hot here in Texas- simple fix.), motor mounts- basically all small things.

People give me crap about owning one, but it's all around a good vehicle for a shorter person like me

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Tracker* Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
manufactur of engine/transmission Aug 11 DDC 2
chevy tracker battery not charging (Jan '08) Aug 7 neverjohn 18
2002 Tracker won't shift out of park (Mar '11) Jun '17 Luvithateit 22
Replacement top. Jun '17 Alden Bebe 1
New to the Tracker world Jun '17 blkredhemi2004 1
1998 Chevrolet Tracker Jun '17 Molly 1
2004 Chevy Tracker LT struts Jun '17 ChesterB 1
More from around the web