water inside vehicle..where is it com...

water inside vehicle..where is it coming from?

Posted in the Chevrolet Suburban Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
ALLYNN EVANS

AOL

#1 Aug 23, 2006
I HAVE WET CARPETS BEHIND THE FRONT PASSENGER SEAT ON THE FLOOR. I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE IT IS COMING FROM. I PULLED THE CARPETS BACK AND THE PAD IS SOAKED TOO. I HAVE A 2003 CHEV SUB...
trf

United States

#2 Aug 28, 2006
leaky heater core maybe
trf

United States

#3 Aug 28, 2006
what? i live in california!!
Kim

Shiloh, NJ

#4 Sep 14, 2006
"ALLYNN EVANS"]I HAVE WET CARPETS BEHIND THE FRONT PASSENGER SEAT ON THE FLOOR. I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE IT IS COMING FROM. I PULLED THE CARPETS BACK AND THE PAD IS SOAKED TOO. I HAVE A 2003 CHEV SUB..
Kim

Shiloh, NJ

#5 Sep 14, 2006
I have a 2000 suburban that started leaking in 2003 and my rear passenger carpet was soaked also. I was told it was coming from the side panel of the hood and running down the side plastic tread just inside the front door and then onto the back carpet. It was fixed but now in 2006 the carpet just behind the drivers seat is soaked and all my carpet needs replaced because of mold issues. Has anyone experience this or had to deal with Chevy regarding replacing carpeting?
Bob

United States

#6 Jan 12, 2007
Same here. Told that the mold issue is in the box/resevoir and it is clogging drain. This backs that mess into the cabin resulting in lots of moldy carpet. It's nearly uninhabitable. Expesive and time consuming to fix.
rds

Nottingham, MD

#7 Jan 13, 2007
ALLYNN EVANS wrote:
I HAVE WET CARPETS BEHIND THE FRONT PASSENGER SEAT ON THE FLOOR. I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE IT IS COMING FROM. I PULLED THE CARPETS BACK AND THE PAD IS SOAKED TOO. I HAVE A 2003 CHEV SUB...
Same problem with my 2002 SUburban anyone that knows what thios is please respond
Andy

Harrisburg, PA

#8 Jan 14, 2007
Same problems with my '02 Suburban...wet carpet on passenger side floor, as well as along the passenger side rear floor board. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Ken

Graham, WA

#9 Jan 17, 2007
I have an 2002 Suburban and had a water problem on the drivers side front. The problem ended up being a bad tack weld in the windshield pan that holdes the rain water and directs it down and thru the engine compartment to the ground. I had to take off the wiper blades and the cover to the pan. I used a windshield weld caulking in the defective area and it has not leaked since.
betty bennett

San Antonio, TX

#10 Jan 30, 2007
Ken wrote:
I have an 2002 Suburban and had a water problem on the drivers side front. The problem ended up being a bad tack weld in the windshield pan that holdes the rain water and directs it down and thru the engine compartment to the ground. I had to take off the wiper blades and the cover to the pan. I used a windshield weld caulking in the defective area and it has not leaked since.
Ken, I also have a 2002 suburban and my driver's side floor gets soaked after a hard rain or long slow rain. I have taken it to the dealership about 4-5 times for the leak and never found an answer. I am thinking this may be my problem. I never have seen any water anywhere in the inside of my vehicle like a trickle or anything, just a completely soaked carpet. Is that what you noticed?
RonH

Tulsa, OK

#11 Jan 31, 2007
GM issued a bulletin about wet rear floor carpets - bulletin #03-08-57-001A Rear Floor Carpet Wet with Dirty Water (Apply Sealer)-(Dec 1, 2003)

Essentially, it says that the horizontal seam on the forward surface of the rear fenderwell may not be properly sealed, or there may be a hole in the upper front corner of the fenderwell. For the rear floor problem, you might check these locations. The bulletin also says that water may also travel along the rear door rocker sill plate to the front seat footwell area. The fix is to put the vehicle on a lift, clean the area with soap and water, blow dry with compressed air, and then apply body sealer along the seam and/or to the hole.
Nice_nEZ

Henderson, KY

#12 Feb 13, 2007
If the carpet is also wet in front of the front passenger seat it is likely to be coming from the air conditioner evaporator box. There is a small rubber tube that drains the water out of the box through the fire wall and onto the ground. It is common for this tube to get clogged from road dirt/dust and cause the box to fill untill it finds an opening to get out of .. usually inside the vehicle under the dash board. You will see the tube from the engine cmpartment on the passenger side fire wall. Clean it out and your trouble will likely go away.
Missy Frette

Tulsa, OK

#13 May 8, 2007
Anyone have a problem with their ceiling leaking behind the drivers seat? The water drips from the ceiling onto the seat and when I start driving it comes out of the drivers side left front, where the cloth attaches to the plastic. Anyone have any problems like this?
Rita H

Ocala, FL

#14 Aug 18, 2007
2003 Expedition.... water leaking on front passenger floor board. A.C. drain tube blown out worked for 10 months. Had it blown out second time and it didn't work.Had new a.c. seal kit installed according to Ford Corp. didn't work. condensation still building up any ideas?
kirk

Peoria, IL

#15 Aug 21, 2007
Rear compartment of my 1999 suburban is very wet after a hard rain. This is right in the center between the 2 doors seals look good. Dealer said because of long body style and twist. Any comments to help this would be helpful.
Chuck

Philadelphia, PA

#16 Aug 26, 2007
We are having the same problem with our '03 Expedition. Just got the vehicle back yesterday after a $700+ repair job to fix the leak. It is still leaking. Any ideas?
vickie

United States

#17 Sep 10, 2007
we just bought a used 2003 suburban. everything works but we can not get any sound to come out of the tv. the volume is turned all the way up but no sound. any ideas?
PJW

Hot Springs National Park, AR

#18 Sep 13, 2007
I have a pontiac grand prix 96' one day it was cold outside and the ice that freezes to the window that you normally have to scrape off was on the inside of the windshield, I watched it melt and turns out the water I thought was coming from inside the fire wall was actually the rubber gasket around the windshield because the fire wall was dry and I have puddles in the front carpet. However how does watter run uphill under the seat to get the passenger carpet wet?, It doesn't so where is the water coming from to get the passenger carpet wet?
the only way to keep my inside carpet dry until I figure out where it is coming from is to park it backwards on an incline, that way the water runs to the trunk or someplace else but it works. lol
Jay in Seattle

Poulsbo, WA

#19 Sep 24, 2007
Ken wrote:
How in the world did you find it though? I've been trying to track down a leak in my 1998 Suburban for over a year now with no luck.
skytrain

Virginia Beach, VA

#20 Oct 18, 2007
I own a 2001 Suburban 1500. Granted its not the Yukon, but in general it is the same general SUV with minor variations. I had quite an enigma that I found wasn't so unique once I went online and found all the complaints re: wet floorboards. So I did some of my own investigating since the dealerships I went to didn't seem to know exactly what the source of the leak was.

My problem was a wet floorboard in the right rear passenger area. After checking the front A/C system to include the condenser drain, I felt that it couldn't be coming from the front of the vehicle, but the back. My manual says nothing about an A/C system in the back for my specific model vehicle. But water had to be coming from the back since the front floorboard was dry. So I removed the trim paneling from the right rear cargo area and lo and behold there was a blower motor. And yes, visible moisture was present just forward of the blower motor.

Next step, find the drain. I looked under the right aft wheel well, and just aft of where the A/C lines go up into the truck there is a black nipple. I pulled on this and it came off, along with 1/2 gallon of water. The rubber nipple covering the drain became clogged.

The rubber nipple covers a plastic drain tube. So draining is still good and I don't know if I'll reinstall the nipple. I think its there to prevent muddaubers (sp?) from clogging the drain. We don't have that problem here in Virginia Beach. So it should be okay.

Good luck, and lets keep this site going. Because all I spent was $10.00 for a nipple (Aux V), whereas I'm pretty sure if I'd taken my problem to a dealership it would have cost hundreds and that's if they found the problem!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Suburban Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2004 Suburban Seat Heater Problem (Feb '07) Feb 8 Ken 65
2003 Suburban/Tahoe/Sierra Electrical Problems ... (Feb '09) Feb 8 Jenny 170
News If Chevrolet Suburban Won't Start It Could Be S... (Jun '09) Feb 7 Weedy 201
Hard to start when Engine is Warm/Hot (Aug '07) Feb 6 Sh1elds 10
2000 chevy suburban /electrical issues. Blowing... Feb 4 Anakin5150 1
suburban problems (Mar '07) Jan 28 Any feedback Ron B 124
transfer case engages but no front torque (Apr '06) Jan 25 Dylan 57
More from around the web