2002 Chevy Suburban Air conditioner p...

2002 Chevy Suburban Air conditioner problem

Posted in the Chevrolet Suburban Forum

First Prev
of 18
Next Last
McLain

Quinlan, TX

#1 Jun 25, 2007
The air conditioner on my 2002 Chevy Suburban works well after the truck starts moving, but only blows hot air before you start driving fast.
What could be wrong with the ac?
jaspin

United States

#2 Jul 16, 2007
this is usually a compressor or specifically a clutch engagement problem. Get it fixed now or it will cost you more later.
AXS

Conroe, TX

#3 Jul 31, 2007
It may be as simple as a bad tensioner for the a/c/ belt or you could be feeling the beginning of a bad compressor. Either way it starts at about $300 and jumps up to $1200 depending on where you live. I found parts online for about $325 but most mechanics won't accept or warranty owner brought parts. Labor is about 2 1/2 hours plus refigerent and oil for the new compressor - good luck
Dave

Laredo, TX

#4 Aug 1, 2007
Bet it's a bad fan clutch. If it is, failure to fix it can blow the AC system.

I just had my AC repaired and the tech spotted extreme pressure at idle, caused by a bad fan clutch.

Wow! What a difference.
Doug Foreman

United States

#5 Aug 2, 2007
Dave wrote:
Bet it's a bad fan clutch. If it is, failure to fix it can blow the AC system.
I just had my AC repaired and the tech spotted extreme pressure at idle, caused by a bad fan clutch.
Wow! What a difference.
My 2001 suburban is doing the same thing. do you know of a reputable place to take it for repair in Austin?
Thanks douglasforeman@hotmail.com
Charlie

United States

#6 Aug 7, 2007
I have a 2001 Suburban with 50,000 miles which was doing the same thing. If the idle drops below a certain RPM the A/C compressor will not kick in. remove the air intake duct from the throttle body and clean the throttle plate and surrounding area with carburetor cleaner. "Solved my problem"
Tommy

Mount Dora, FL

#7 Aug 13, 2007
I have a 2004 Chevy Suburban 1500 2 wheel drive.
We have had 4 actuators placed and still have problems with the a/c. It will blow cold air out the diver's side and hot air out the passenger side. After the dealship works on it, it will be fine for a week then the same thing happens._ any suggestions?
Dave B

Laredo, TX

#8 Aug 13, 2007
Tommy:

It could be a defective water valve in the heater hose to the front heater.

If it's too expensive to find/fix, I would reroute the heater hoses so that the front heater is bypassed.

I bypassed my rear heat system after moving to TX to eliminate the possibility of being disabled by a blown rr heater hose.
Dennis

Lawrenceville, GA

#9 Aug 21, 2007
i have a 97 and a 99 surburban both had new compressors install 2 years ago,now ac on both vehicle is only blowing hot air,could this be a clutch problem?
Rick

Owensboro, KY

#10 Aug 24, 2007
I have a 2002 Suburban that is leaking water from the AC condensate into the middle seat floorboard. Does anyone know where the drain line runs so that I could try to unclog it. Also on this same vehicle the rear air puts out much colder air than the front air does, any ideas on that?
Lisa

Orlando, FL

#11 Aug 29, 2007
Tommy,
I am having the same problem with my 2004 Chevy Suburban. It blows cold air to the passenger and back seat, but hot air to the driver's side. What did your mechanic find was wrong with your a/c?
Tom

Beaverton, OR

#12 Aug 31, 2007
I have the same problem. Evaporation hose seems to be working. Any other thoughts on how to fix this?
Rick wrote:
I have a 2002 Suburban that is leaking water from the AC condensate into the middle seat floorboard. Does anyone know where the drain line runs so that I could try to unclog it. Also on this same vehicle the rear air puts out much colder air than the front air does, any ideas on that?
Brent

Tomball, TX

#13 Sep 4, 2007
Hello Tommy. I have the same suburban and have mine in for repair right now. They are telling me it has to be the actuator since only the driver side is blowing hot while the passenger is blowing cold. Did they ever fix yours?
Tommy wrote:
I have a 2004 Chevy Suburban 1500 2 wheel drive.
We have had 4 actuators placed and still have problems with the a/c. It will blow cold air out the diver's side and hot air out the passenger side. After the dealship works on it, it will be fine for a week then the same thing happens._ any suggestions?
Eric

Cedar Rapids, IA

#14 Sep 4, 2007
I have a 2002 Suburban. I am having a problem everytime I turn on my A/C it makes a loud flapping noise. Any ideas of what it could potentially be?
curt

Stuttgart, AR

#15 Sep 6, 2007
The rear AC on my 88 Suburban blows hot. This vehicle is in mint condition and has just had an AC overhaul including a new compressor and High pressure line to the rear unit. The front blows at 70deg but the rear stays hot hot hot.
tuan

Bakersfield, CA

#16 Sep 6, 2007
"I have a 2002 Suburban. I am having a problem everytime I turn on my A/C it makes a loud flapping noise. Any ideas of what it could potentially be? "
My best guess may be the A/C pulley..Eric
BCCHS

Charleston, SC

#17 Sep 10, 2007
A/C is leaking condesation from Rside passenger unit. Water is dripping from where plastic over connect to fire wall?
Could it just be clogged at drain plug? Only small drip comes from drain plug? How to properly remove interior cover?
Tommy

Mount Dora, FL

#18 Sep 13, 2007
Mine is now working (at least for 3 weeks) They repalced the actuators again, changed out the front switching panel and also replaced part of the computer system. Also they had to reprogram. It also now blows colder than ever. Still has the same coolant in it so I feel pretty comfortable that the combination fix has taken care of the problem.
PTB Texas

Fort Worth, TX

#19 Sep 14, 2007
BCCHS wrote:
A/C is leaking condesation from Rside passenger unit. Water is dripping from where plastic over connect to fire wall?
Could it just be clogged at drain plug? Only small drip comes from drain plug? How to properly remove interior cover?
Did you get it fixed?
lucas

Columbia, MO

#20 Sep 15, 2007
floor in cargo area is wet in 2002 Suburban. Leaking A/C condensation drain?? Blown seal??? Help?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 18
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Suburban Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2003 Suburban/Tahoe/Sierra Electrical Problems ... (Feb '09) 3 hr KINGRICH 207
2002 Suburban shuts off (Jun '07) Mon LukeG1579 92
News If Chevrolet Suburban Won't Start It Could Be S... (Jun '09) Feb 5 Terri 278
96 Suburban, 5.7l, 4x4 - Slow Battery Drain (Jan '07) Jan 30 Jim roy 64
transfer case engages but no front torque (Apr '06) Jan 29 LLB 70
multi-function switch electrical problem (Jun '06) Jan 28 Kevrob 213
Hard to start when Engine is Warm/Hot (Aug '07) Jan '18 screaminCmane 35
More from around the web