Suburban starting problems
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Ken F

Bountiful, UT

#1 Aug 7, 2007
I am away on business for a couple of weeks and wouldn't you know it, my wife called to tell me that our 2004 Suburban won't start leaving her without transportation. The darn thing sounds like it is going to turn over, but it never does. Any suggestion? We had this happen once before when the fuel level dropped to 1/4 tank, but I suspected a vapor lock, added more fuel and let it sit for an hour and it started. No luck this time, but the fuel is low again.

Since: Jul 07

Choctaw, OK

#2 Aug 7, 2007
It may be a bad fuel pump. Some have success in getting a pump going again by rapping on the bottom of the fuel tank with something like a rubber mallet to kind of "kick start" the pump again. Worth a try if you can instruct here on the phone where the tank is. Once it's started, she may be ok until you get back by keeping the tank close to full.
Mike Walsh

Tucson, AZ

#3 Oct 6, 2007
I drove my 2004 Suburban under the dealers canopy to have my On-Star upgraded and then it wouldn't start. They replaced a cluster that included the ignition power something or other. A week later while driving down a busy street on the inside lane the truck just stopped cold. I tried to start it and finally it almost started, the display stated low engine power and I creeped at less than walking pace off the road. The dealer towed it in and i'm driving my wife's Jeep Cherokee. My truck has 30,000 miles and has been serviced every 3,000 miles.
Doug Hooper

Chicago, IL

#4 Nov 13, 2007
I have a 1997 Suburban. It has a 350, 4wd 1500. It has had an ongoing cold start problem that is progressivly getting worse. However, after it starts, it runs fine which leaves me to believe that the fuel pump is ok. I recently had a full tune up including plug wires. This morning she was a no go at all. I gave a shot of starting fluid to the air cleaner and it fired right up. It was just fine after that and restarted without incident??????????

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Karen

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Apr 1, 2008
Ok, funny enough, I may have an answer. My 98 suburban was doing all those things above and even completely shut off on a major interstate in 2006. What I found out is that on some models there was a recall for the fuel pump because the housing does not totally protect some kind of wiring and if the wiring indicats that moisture has penetrated the unit then it shuts off to keep from causing the fuel to ignite in the gas tank. We replaced the fuel pump (with a GM of course) only to have it happen again. Our mechanics solution was to replace the fuel pump with another brand made for commercial trucks but worked on the suburban. Again, the recall was not for a 98 but you could look under recalls through GMC or Chevy in other years and you'll probably find it listed.
Willow

Fairfield, CT

#6 Apr 27, 2008
My 2003 Z71 suburban always delays in starting once the fuel is at 1/4 tank. Two years ago I had the fuel module replaced for $700, but the problem was never fixed.
Ken F wrote:
I am away on business for a couple of weeks and wouldn't you know it, my wife called to tell me that our 2004 Suburban won't start leaving her without transportation. The darn thing sounds like it is going to turn over, but it never does. Any suggestion? We had this happen once before when the fuel level dropped to 1/4 tank, but I suspected a vapor lock, added more fuel and let it sit for an hour and it started. No luck this time, but the fuel is low again.
Derrick

United States

#7 Jun 2, 2008
I have a 2002 Suburban. The display (odometer)works something. Any suggestions....
Tim

Gallipolis, OH

#8 Jun 12, 2008
I have a 2002 chevy suburban 2500 (6.0L). Once every 2-3 months I will get in to go somewhere and it will not start. The engine will turn over, but will not start. After turning the ignition 30-50 times, it will start. ( Don't know if that is just coincidence or not). Replaced fuel pump after the second time, but did it again (6 more times) over the last year.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Trent

United States

#9 Aug 1, 2008
I had the same issue over the last few days. I looked up many things on the web and got a handful of ideas. THE ONE THAT WORKED IS: Bang on the bottom of the gas tank all over about 15 stong hits and it will be as good as new. This releases the pump to be able to suck the fuel again.
Barry

United States

#10 Aug 9, 2008
I have '99 suburban 454 with 90k on it. I changed the fuel filter and took a 2000 mile trip about a month ago. Last week when starting, it spun over and fired up, but the revs immediately dropped and it chugged away on 4 or 5 cylinders until it stalled. Tried to restart several times with no success. Waited two or three minutes started and ran fine. Then stalled while driving at low rpm, restarted after a couple of attempts and ran fine. I had the fuel pump replaced, but the problem is still there. I'm thinking fuel pressure Regulator or a relay. Anyone have any thoughts or advise?
Carlos

La Paz, Mexico

#11 Apr 8, 2009
I have a 2004 suburban with 50k miles. During the past few days the engine has died several times forcing me to pull over without power steering or brakes. One time the check engine light was on steady but after I checked the fuel cap it started and ran ok. When I tried to re-start it today (after it quit on the road) it seems to be starved for fuel but started after I loosened and re applied the fuel cap. I suspected bad gas and replaced the fuel filter today but that didn't solve the problem.
crankyanker

Westfield, MA

#12 Aug 31, 2009
Carlos wrote:
I have a 2004 suburban with 50k miles. During the past few days the engine has died several times forcing me to pull over without power steering or brakes. One time the check engine light was on steady but after I checked the fuel cap it started and ran ok. When I tried to re-start it today (after it quit on the road) it seems to be starved for fuel but started after I loosened and re applied the fuel cap. I suspected bad gas and replaced the fuel filter today but that didn't solve the problem.
check your battery cables make sure they are tight.
Michelle

Ogden, UT

#13 Nov 3, 2009
I have a 2003 Suburban that won't start. There was no prior indication of a problem. The lights and instrumentation still work, but it won't even try to turn over. I've tried jumping it, but that doesn't work either. I don't know if this makes a difference, but the fuel in the tank is low--the refuel light is on.
Cliff

Merrillville, IN

#14 Dec 11, 2009
Michelle wrote:
I have a 2003 Suburban that won't start. There was no prior indication of a problem. The lights and instrumentation still work, but it won't even try to turn over. I've tried jumping it, but that doesn't work either. I don't know if this makes a difference, but the fuel in the tank is low--the refuel light is on.
My 2003 Suburban is doing the same thing. Will start after turning key 10 to 15 times, gets progressively worse. Yesterday turned key over 100 times and still wouldn't turn over. Have narrowed possible causes to battery cables or their connections, or to the solenoid on the starter.
johnnyb44

Schaumburg, IL

#15 Jan 19, 2010
I have had to replace my fuel pump 3 Times. now I have a delco and it won't start for another reason, I think them gm engineers in 89 sucked.
johnnyb44

Schaumburg, IL

#16 Jan 19, 2010
Michelle wrote:
first, put some gas in it. then, begin to trouble shoot it. demons come in all shapes and sizes.
johnnyb44

Schaumburg, IL

#17 Jan 19, 2010
Carlos wrote:
get rid of the cap, especially if it's a locking cap. you need one that can tighten down.
johnnyb44

Schaumburg, IL

#18 Jan 19, 2010
Cliff wrote:
<quoted text>My 2003 Suburban is doing the same thing. Will start after turning key 10 to 15 times, gets progressively worse. Yesterday turned key over 100 times and still wouldn't turn over. Have narrowed possible causes to battery cables or their connections, or to the solenoid on the starter.
I would check the ignition first.
johnnyb44

Schaumburg, IL

#19 Jan 19, 2010
Trent wrote:
I had the same issue over the last few days. I looked up many things on the web and got a handful of ideas. THE ONE THAT WORKED IS: Bang on the bottom of the gas tank all over about 15 stong hits and it will be as good as new. This releases the pump to be able to suck the fuel again.
thats right,"If you can't fix it with a hammer, then is must be electrical and I don't do that.
Steve

United States

#20 Jan 25, 2010
Michelle, did you ever figure it out?
Michelle wrote:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Suburban Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
JBT V-GPII IMS C91 IMMO system matching car list Nov 20 tuita 1
03 suburban, turns over, won't start... Nov 19 Cyndi 1
News If Chevrolet Suburban Won't Start It Could Be S... (Jun '09) Nov 18 Anxious 276
News GM Expands Recall to Fix Truck, SUV Brakes (Mar '06) Nov 18 BSparky 82
Hard to start when Engine is Warm/Hot (Aug '07) Nov 18 Brian 30
transfer case engages but no front torque (Apr '06) Nov 16 joekidd1970 69
Please help completely lost Nov 11 Raef 1
More from around the web