transfer case engages but no front to...

transfer case engages but no front torque

Posted in the Chevrolet Suburban Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
simple solution

United States

#1 Apr 8, 2006
I HAVE A 94 K1500 SUBURBAN (GAS ENGINE)AND THE TRANSFER CASE SEAMS TO GO IN FOUR WHEEL BUT I CANT TELL YOU IF THE FRONT IS PULLING,SEAMS NOT TO BE,I RECENTLY HAD NEW ROTORS AND BRAKES ON THE FRONT AND WAS ABLE TO DISERN THAT THE FRONT CV JOINTS ARE WORKING TO THE DIFFERENTIAL AFTER THAT I CANT TELL ANYTHING I AM A NEWCOMER TO 4X4 SO ALL IMPUT WILL BE APPRECIATED.ALSO WHEN I ENGAGE THE TRANSFER CASE IT SEEMS SOME INDICATOR SHOULD LIGHT UP AND NOTHIN DOES NOT ON THE FLOOR CONSOLE OR ON THE DASH.THANKS
OnTheFence

Palo Alto, CA

#2 Jan 26, 2007
I had the same problem on our 1994. The problem is most likely the transfer case actuator which is a thermally activated device. I think the fix was to install the one from a 1995 which is electrically activated. I replace ours myself in about one hour. Very easy to do.

Look here for more info....

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t173603.html
Easy Fix

United States

#3 Jan 27, 2007
It's the thermal actuator for the transfer case. Replace it with the electrical actuator from a 1995.
transfer case problem

AOL

#4 Feb 3, 2007
I just had my transfer case replaced as it was making some type of grinding noise and the vehicle would move and then stop intermittantly. So,I got a used transfer case at the junkyard. My vehicle is a 1988 Chevy K1500 with plow. The transfer case I got at junkyard came out of a 1990 Chevy and was completely interchangable. Anyway, I was out plowing my driveway and put lever in 4wheel drive but got nothing. Only 2 wheel drive is working. My 4x4 shift lever/console does not light up at all now? What could cause this? Any suggestions please?
otherdav

AOL

#5 Feb 12, 2007
hello I also have a 94 suburban with the front axle not engaging. will the electrical actuator from a 1995 use the same wiring as the 1994 with the thermal actuator. thanks dave
hmmm

Palo Alto, CA

#6 Feb 14, 2007
otherdav wrote:
hello I also have a 94 suburban with the front axle not engaging. will the electrical actuator from a 1995 use the same wiring as the 1994 with the thermal actuator. thanks dave
I believe that it comes with an adapter harness. Check with your local Chevy dealer to make sure. They should be aware of the fix since I believe there was a service bulletin.
otherdav

AOL

#7 Feb 20, 2007
hmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that it comes with an adapter harness. Check with your local Chevy dealer to make sure. They should be aware of the fix since I believe there was a service bulletin.
thank you

Since: Feb 07

Fremont, CA

#8 Mar 27, 2007
I had the same problem with my 96, the actuator in the front axle wasn't getting any power. I jumped it and hooked up a switch temporarily until I figure out the problem with the electrical. The best thing to do is lift all four wheels off the ground and put it in four wheel drive to see what happens. If the front driveshaft starts spinning you know it is the front actuator.
Just Joe

Palo Alto, CA

#9 Mar 27, 2007
acme wrote:
I had the same problem with my 96, the actuator in the front axle wasn't getting any power. I jumped it and hooked up a switch temporarily until I figure out the problem with the electrical. The best thing to do is lift all four wheels off the ground and put it in four wheel drive to see what happens. If the front driveshaft starts spinning you know it is the front actuator.
Is this correct?

"If the front driveshaft starts spinning you know it is the front actuator."

Why does this indicate an actuator failure with all 4 wheels off the ground?
billy

United States

#10 Apr 2, 2007
96 k15 305 manual trans

no light on console when put in 4w, no power going to actuator, also got a p0700 code,

i'm gonna fix it today cause rain is in the forecast
billy

United States

#11 Apr 2, 2007
alright, put the truck on jackstands and watched the front shaft turn while in 4H(front tires not turning), straight wired the actuator and it worked, green and black wire going to the actuator runs back to the transfer case havent looked to see what it goes to, but save the money and straight wire it to a switch on the dash...

Hope this info helps someone.
mike

United States

#12 Jun 17, 2007
my 99 subburban actuator won't engage, do they make a manual actuator?
Daniel
#13 Jun 29, 2007
yes they do make a manual type but it wouldn't be worh it toput it on your truck that s if it would even connect right due to the fact that the computers now recieve almost every sinal then sends the what to d to the sensors sendig unit......the computer woud have to be reprogrammed if it would except it...
jarrod

Cincinnati, OH

#14 Jan 26, 2008
i have a 1995 k1500 burban that grinds while attempting to engage 4-lo. what possible causes are thei for this?
Jeff in CO

Colorado Springs, CO

#15 Jan 26, 2008
Are you placing the transmission in neutral before shifting from 4w-high to 4w-Low? You may also need to place your foot on the brake.
jarrod

Cincinnati, OH

#16 Jan 26, 2008
had no previous and it runs fine if i shut the car off and engage it while its off and in neutral. i am in the the process of replacing everythin but cv joint on the pass side and thought it may be causing it
Dan in SC

San Clemente, CA

#17 Jan 26, 2008
I have a 94 K2500 suburban. The 4H has gone out recently accompanied by the light in transfer case console not indicating 4 wheel drive. It will work in 4L. Is the consensus to straight wire or get an electric actuator from newer year?
Jeff in CO

Colorado Springs, CO

#18 Jan 27, 2008
I would guess it's your actuator and that you should change over to the electric one. Also, if you are getting into 4L, are you sure the front wheels are engaging? The truck will certainly go slower because of the transfer case gear change but you should also feel the front wheels "bind up" if you turn real sharp on firm ground. If not, than the front axle is not engaging and the electric actuator should fix it.
Dan in SC

San Clemente, CA

#19 Jan 30, 2008
Yeah I'm pretty sure the front was pulling. I was in a snow/frozen parking lot with no control until I got it in 4L, then I could make all the turns I wanted -- had the family in the car so didn't jerk around too much but I was convinced it was engaged. I just thought maybe the 4L engaged more in a manual way that's why it was working but not the 4H. d
Richard in Mo

Ridgeway, MO

#20 Feb 24, 2008
I want to ask one. I put in a replacement themal actuator cause the guy I bought truck from said it was bad. Lo and behold it had the electric one from a 95. Mines an 88'gmc c1500. Hmmmm. Well I went ahead and replaced it. Put the brown wire for the electric one to the side and taped it. Still no 4 wheel drive. Checked for voltage at the 2 wire stock plug for the thermal one, no voltage. I did this with the truck on, in gear, and 4hi. Yes my wife had her foot on the brake. Pretty trusting with me under the truck. I dont see a place for a fuse or anything. Any ideas?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Suburban Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2004 Suburban Seat Heater Problem (Feb '07) 14 hr Ken 65
2003 Suburban/Tahoe/Sierra Electrical Problems ... (Feb '09) 19 hr Jenny 170
News If Chevrolet Suburban Won't Start It Could Be S... (Jun '09) Sun Weedy 201
Hard to start when Engine is Warm/Hot (Aug '07) Sat Sh1elds 10
2000 chevy suburban /electrical issues. Blowing... Feb 4 Anakin5150 1
suburban problems (Mar '07) Jan 28 Any feedback Ron B 124
engine q &a Jan 20 red68aten 1
More from around the web