Front wheels binding in 4 wheel drive

Posted in the Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Forum

Whitt

Alexandria, VA

#1 Sep 29, 2006
When in 4 High and making a left-hand turn out of my driveway, the driver's front wheel binds up and won't hardly turn. When confronted about this at a Chevy dealership, I was told that was normal. "Since that wheel is barely turning and the other wheel is turning faster because of turning left, that tends to "bind up" the driver's wheel when in 4-wheel drive."

I can almost see that happening, but it still doesn't sit right with me. Is, infact, that normal?
Ron

Halifax, Canada

#2 Mar 23, 2009
hello, i have a 2006 chevy my truck does the same thing but left or right. I don't think it normal either. I had a 2003 and it never did this ...
CGFoose

West Orange, NJ

#3 Nov 9, 2009
This is perfectly normal on most 4x4's. It is as you guessed, one wheel turning faster the the other.

The truck is telling you it has too much traction to be in 4 wheel. Its the same reason why the instructions to engage 4 wheel drive states to only use in real snowy/muddy/slippery terrain, the wheel thats binding will just slide in the conditions it was designed for and you won't notice it binding.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shhh! Quieter GM H.D. pickups get 38-hp boost (Oct '13) Mar '14 glox 4
Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owner's hangout (Mar '06) Aug '13 20years 649
97 under hood fuse box (May '11) May '11 liljoseph 1
Chevrolet Cruze Recall - FOX43.com (Apr '11) Apr '11 Brad 1
2007 2500hd front differential (Jan '10) Mar '11 Daytondiesel 2
2011 hd (Nov '10) Nov '10 bbrock 1
99 2500 with a 7.4L vortec 454 (Nov '10) Nov '10 david 1

Chevrolet Silverado 2500 People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE