2008 Silverado Battery Goes Dead
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
roger norden

United States

#1 Oct 26, 2009
My 2008 has only 7500 miles and now three times has failed to start because the battery was dead. Dealer replaced it once and second time recharged, says charging is working and cannot find a short with tester on for 24 hrs. Today i got my second new battery or the third for this truck. I do not drive it every day but usually every 4-5 days and never over 10 days. Any of you with this issue ?
mca774411

Philadelphia, PA

#2 Nov 27, 2009
I am having the same problem Now with my silverado 2008. I wonder if its because my garmin is allways pluged in. even with it being off it has a re -chargeable battery?
roger norden

Raleigh, NC

#3 Nov 27, 2009
mca774411 wrote:
I am having the same problem Now with my silverado 2008. I wonder if its because my garmin is allways pluged in. even with it being off it has a re -chargeable battery?
I have a Garmen too but there is no way IMHO that the drain from charging should kill a battery in a vehicle with a functioning charging system. My dealer agrees. My 2000 F150 has a GPS too and it's fine.
Roger 07

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Dec 24, 2009
I have the same problem with my 2008 Duramax even down to the Garmin that I leave plugged in. The dealer states you can't leave it or anything plugged in and powered with the engine turned off.
Funny thing however, I unplugged all my electronics and still have the same problem. Lately it's been cold here and I have experienced the problem more. My truck is garaged with the temp dropping to 40 degrees. Several times the truck has failed to start in the morning. Once I warm it up it starts fine. I live a short distance from work with about 10 min driving time. When I leave work in the evening it really has trouble turning over though it does catch. I plan on taking it to the dealer and suspect I'll get the same story...it's fine. I have a 2003 Tahoe that had similar battery issues and finally the dealer said there was a tech bulletin out that stated the system wasn't powering down properly and he reloaded the new firmware in it. Since then it has worked fine. I will suggest he do the same with my Duramax.
Klang

Friendswood, TX

#5 Dec 28, 2009
I have the same problem it because u have corrodeison on ur batter clean it wit coke and a tooth brush every month and a half
rogerdn

Knightdale, NC

#6 Dec 28, 2009
Klang wrote:
I have the same problem it because u have corrodeison on ur batter clean it wit coke and a tooth brush every month and a half
The failures occur after only a few months and there is no sign of corrosion, I doubt this is the issue. The new battery put in two months ago is still ok but I am trying to drive it more.
ROGER C

AOL

#7 Jan 28, 2010
my battery has been replaced 3 times. it is completely drained each time.
i took the negative cable off and put a vole meter
between battery negative post and cable.
( the drain in battery is 10.58 volts )
i took all the fuzes out and undone trailer
hitch wires still a 10.58 volt drain
1994 chevy silverado 1500 truck.
Jason

Alexis, IL

#8 Feb 5, 2010
My 2007 just started doing the same thing. have had the battery checked and charging system both are good. Let me know if anyone has found a solution. Also nothing is left on or plugged in.
rogerdn

Knightdale, NC

#9 Feb 5, 2010
Well my battery just failed again, this is now the 5th time I have had to take it to the dealer for this reason. This one was put in last Oct.

For the first time I saw a failure message but it appeared only momentarily, my tow driver saw it but apparently it said something about an electrical failure, possibly an alternator. I am sure the charging system is not working and the battery itself is not the problem.

When I get it back from the dealer I will post again.
Tomj

Federal Way, WA

#10 Feb 11, 2010
I am having the same sort of issue. I narrowed it down to the heater/AC. If I leave the heater/AC on and turn off engine, the heater shuts off but I think it is still drawing power from battery because approx. two days later it goes dead. If I shut off heater/ac first then turn off engine, my battery is fine. Anyone else find this to be true?
rogerdn

Knightdale, NC

#11 Feb 11, 2010
Tomj,

thks for the info, dealer has had truck for 7 days this time trying to find something that is turning on and causing a draw, I'll pass this on to them.
rogerdn

Knightdale, NC

#12 Feb 11, 2010
Tomj wrote:
I am having the same sort of issue. I narrowed it down to the heater/AC. If I leave the heater/AC on and turn off engine, the heater shuts off but I think it is still drawing power from battery because approx. two days later it goes dead. If I shut off heater/ac first then turn off engine, my battery is fine. Anyone else find this to be true?
Tomj,

How many times have you tested this, more than once so you can be sure this is the prob ?
Tomj

Federal Way, WA

#13 Feb 12, 2010
Yes, everytime I manually shut of the heater I am ok. But then there are times when I forget and sure enough the battery is very low after one day and dead after two. My truck is going back to the service shop next week and they think it might be a bad module in the computer. Can't say your issue is exactly the same.

“equality for all Malaysian”

Since: Jan 10

Germany

#14 Feb 12, 2010
Hahahaha dumb Americans!

You should have bought some real cars like BMW
rogerdn

Knightdale, NC

#15 Feb 22, 2010
Just got back S1500 from dealer after fifth battery failure, had for almost two weeks, told me they found one of the door lock modules that was waking up while engine was off, draining battery (a S/W issue). We shall see, time will tell. At least this was more than just replacing another battery. But had to go back once more because when they reprogrammed the module they erased my lock remote so it would not work. Idiots !
rogerdn

Knightdale, NC

#16 Apr 5, 2010
Well the door module 'fix' did not work so I had my 5th battery run down. Truck is now back at dealer and they say they found a current drain in the instrument panel which they are replacing. This is going to be their last chance to fix this lemon.
TPeters

United States

#17 Apr 20, 2010
My battery went dead suddenly on my 2008 Silverado with only 12,000, and at 11:45 pm in the Walmart parking lot.

While driving the truck the dash lights suddenly started blinking and the door locks were clicking off and on. I pulled over and then the truck wouldn't start, as the battery was dead. When I tried to start there was more door lock clicking noises and the dash message said Tracking Control off, then on, off, on, off, so maybe that's a clue but I never had it set to off.

A police officer came over and looked at the battery with his flashlight. We saw stuff oozing out from the positive terminal. At first it looked like major corrosion buildup, but it was leaking from the positive terminal. The battery cable was warm too.

I've never had anything plugged into the truck. No garmin or towing stuff. The radio, heater, air conditioner were not on before or when this happened.

The truck was towed and is in the shop today. Will update latter if they find anything...

LDAdkins

Helena, MT

#18 May 3, 2010
Last post with the truck dash lights suddenly started blinking and the door locks were clicking off and on: I had this happen to me. Indications also included all instruments cycling to max and back, and shutdown of radio. I did not shut off truck, but continued driving. This has happended fout times to me. Also, I have had the truck act dead,(not start) on the first try, second try starts right up. BUT my panel is reset to 1200 on the clock and the date resets to 1/1/2004. This has happened a couple times, but twice this AM... It's in the shop right this minute.

Did you find out what your trucks problem was? I'll post what I find out when the shop calls. ThanX!
HBrown

Colorado Springs, CO

#19 Jun 17, 2010
I am having the same problem with the locks clicking and dash cycling through and stuff. My dealer is saying it is a problem with my battery cables. Wouldn't start then jumped it and it started. Any ideas?

2009 Silverado LT

H
Play

Washington, IL

#20 Jul 20, 2010
Aerobot wrote:
Hahahaha dumb Americans!
You should have bought some real cars like BMW
WTF are you doing on this forum, jerk? Go drive your BMW off of a cliff with the windows down and your head out the window.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2000 Silverado no tach, speedometer, transmissi... (Jun '09) Wed masonsexton 38
2010 Tahoe stutters... May 3 Boymom 1
2003 Chevrolet Silverado - Reduced Engine Power (Nov '07) Apr 25 dana 494
1989 digital a/c- heater control issues (Sep '10) Apr 10 Ramon 2
2001 Chevy Silverado Transmission (Oct '07) Apr 7 Daniel 146
damp Apr 7 webb 1
reduce engine power (Nov '11) Apr '16 Cason harper 10
More from around the web