happy at last

United States

#254 Oct 9, 2007
somewhat of a good news:
Gm is fixing some 2004 and 2003 vehicles with this problem. you have to call the customer service and they will do a vin # check to see if your car qualifies. They are going to fix my 2003 GMC sierra .
Frank in New Orleans

Gretna, LA

#255 Oct 14, 2007
My '04 Silverado speedometer just quit working like all the rest! Has anyone found a Dealer to fix this SAFETY problem yet? Is there a TSB or anything else being done about the problem? I noticed the speedometer needle jerking going up and down, I guess that's the notification that it's about to quit working! If anyone has the right fix, please let me know at [email protected] THANKS Frank

Since: Oct 07

Chicago

#256 Oct 14, 2007
I am talking about an 04 Chevy Silverado.
G I Wonder wrote:
what year are we talking about ? Most can be easly fix , remove dash cover, protective clear plate, and you will see the speeddometer face plate. turn needle by hand, if ti spring back to the fuul blow position then remove the 4 screws that hold in the faceplate and see if you lost your balance weight. You can get a new speedometer or one from the salvage yard, disconnect speedometer cable and replace. Just be extra gentle with the small parts.

Chicago

#257 Oct 14, 2007
As I see it, there is a massive amount of defects showing up with this same problem! The Chevy Dealers all want big bucks to fix a problem which is a continuous problem with this year and type vehicle. Is anyone considering a Class Action suit against GM for these problems which they evidently will not fix unless we pay through the nose for the repair!

Chicago

#258 Oct 14, 2007
This is to clarify my point! I'm not an advocate of sueing just to be sueing. When these big dealers just refuse to fix/repair problems that are theirs due to poor manufacturing practices, then how do we get anything accomplished? I just received a rebate from Verizon for a suit they had brought against them, that I didn't even know about! Some one has to push the button to get these dealerships to pay attention! They already charge outrageous prices for the normal every day repairs! Why should they get paid for a problem they produced? Oh Well! I'm willing to listen to other reasonable solutions, anybody?
Bill in Kinston NC

Rocky Mount, NC

#259 Oct 15, 2007
Dick 38--did the dealer fix your speeometer for free when you gave him the campaign number--07187?
Ba Jackson

Denver, CO

#260 Oct 18, 2007
I have a 2003 Silverado with the same speedometer problem. It's really ashame that this $30,000 truck has this design/quality defect. GM needs to own up to this defect and show some goodwill torward its loyal customers.
Redneck

Stuart, FL

#261 Oct 19, 2007
Ba Jackson wrote:
I have a 2003 Silverado with the same speedometer problem. It's really ashame that this $30,000 truck has this design/quality defect. GM needs to own up to this defect and show some goodwill torward its loyal customers.
Read post #249
Tpasta67

Stuart, FL

#262 Oct 19, 2007
Getting my instrument panel replaced today at no charge. Compliments of GM. They know I've been snooping around the Toyota lots!

See post #249
SI-CA

Stockton, CA

#263 Oct 25, 2007
My 2003 silverado started with the speedometer going out then the tach and temp guage Chevy will fix or replace if your truck has less than 70,000 miles or less than seven years old (didnt help in my case over 70,000) But they are not calling it a recall.The stepper motors they used in the clusters are cheap they know this but wont do anything for my 4 yr. old truck.
DaveL

Mebane, NC

#264 Nov 6, 2007
Is there a way to force a recall? My speedometer and tachometer are doing the exact same thing on my 2004 Silverado. This is not normal and is a definite manufacturing flaw. It works one moment and then it could read anything. I use a gps unit to see how fast I am going. This should be the responsibility of the manufacturer to correct without cost to the consumer.
Redneck

Stuart, FL

#265 Nov 6, 2007
DaveL wrote:
Is there a way to force a recall? My speedometer and tachometer are doing the exact same thing on my 2004 Silverado. This is not normal and is a definite manufacturing flaw. It works one moment and then it could read anything. I use a gps unit to see how fast I am going. This should be the responsibility of the
manufacturer to correct without cost to the consumer.
SEE POST #149
Tpasta67

Stuart, FL

#266 Nov 6, 2007
DaveL wrote:
Is there a way to force a recall? My speedometer and tachometer are doing the exact same thing on my 2004 Silverado. This is not normal and is a definite manufacturing flaw. It works one moment and then it could read anything. I use a gps unit to see how fast I am going. This should be the responsibility of the manufacturer to correct without cost to the consumer.
see post 249
2003 Silverado SS

Denver, CO

#267 Nov 6, 2007
Well looks like from all the reading I am S.O.L. 77K & 4 years old,$40,000.00 truck. Looks like they would have to replace what they have found to be defective in a substancial amount of the model years of trucks regardless of mileage or how old.(RECALL) However 7 years appears appropiate, but only 10 k per year average driving they need to GET REAL.

Kinda Pissed

Ashley

Monahans, TX

#269 Nov 8, 2007
check your vehical speed sensor that sits on top of the transmission, that is probably what is keeping you from switching gears
Cameron

Dallas, TX

#270 Nov 9, 2007
Samuel McKee wrote:
Has anyone had any problems with there cd player not operating correctly
Yep, just head to the dealer, they have to reprogram it. I have had to get mine done every time I take it for an oil change.
Cameron

Dallas, TX

#271 Nov 9, 2007
Nice work, chevy!
Lynn aol

AOL

#272 Nov 14, 2007
I have an '04 trailblazer that i just parked at the dealers registering 105 on the speedometer.
Hope chevrolet does a recall on these - I hate to pay for repairs on a defective part.
Roger

Miami, FL

#273 Nov 14, 2007
I had the same issues and GM told me I was out of gas. Since I was 3k over the 70k on my 2003 truck. I found this guy online that repaired my speedometer and returned it to me within a week. I dont remember his name but this was the site where I found him. www.floridaspeedometer.com
former owner

Jeffersonville, IN

#274 Nov 14, 2007
I received a notice on my 2003 Silverado yesterday from GM on this very issue. I had issues with the speedometer. Too bad I traded it 2 weeks ago. Yes, I went with another GM. I bought a Tahoe this time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2007 Sliverado Transmission Shifting issues (Jan '12) 2 hr Dustin 46
2003 Chevrolet Silverado - Reduced Engine Power (Nov '07) Fri Gmc413043 527
Transmission taking a long time to shift from f... Thu Bull71 1
Heater AC electrical problem 1995 1500 Chevy (Nov '07) Mar 21 Ron 78
Cabin air filter Mar 18 Mario Perez 1
99 Silverado battery drain on radio fuse (Jan '12) Mar 18 Madmanmp 14
1997 Silverado 4x4 engine upgrade Mar 15 aterseraph 1
More from around the web