2003 Chevrolet Silverado - Reduced En...
Jim

Salisbury, MD

#124 Nov 25, 2010
If you only replaced the sensor then the problem will not go away cause the sensor is calibrated to the gas pedal. I did the samething thinking that I could save 75.00 but it ended up costing me 125.00 for the whole pedal assembly which comes with the sensor and all. It takes about 20 minutes to do yourself. Two bolts and a wire is all that it is. Good luck!
Rick wrote:
I have an 03 HD and am having the reduced engine power problem. My mech. said to replace gas pedal throttle pos. sensor, i did and no luck. Next he put his diagnostic comp on it and it said to replace throttle-body TPS (expensive!) No luck. I was letting it warm up to op. temp before leaving, and that seemed to work,for a while. But now it will do it 3 and 4 times a trip. Also sometimes its sluggish and has a little hesitation at 50 to 60 mph. Kind of hard to plow snow w/ this POS!
tracy

Defiance, OH

#125 Nov 25, 2010
robert wrote:
I have been dealing with the reduced engine power for over three years. I have carried it to several different garages that I have delt with over the years and they have had no better luck than me at fixing it.( I ran a garage for 22 years in the 60's thru the early eighties) My truck may do it up to eight times withed 100 miles and then again it may do it every other day for a week . all of a sudden it may go weeks without doing it. From what I have read , it could be a thousand different things. I believe what GM should do is take this option out of the software and let you reprogram the computor so as this Reduced Engine Power option and its control of the valve body would no longer be there. It would be cheaper to fix the conseqencies than try to fix the cause. Just my Quarters worth.
I like this!!!
kelly and his 06

Cincinnati, OH

#126 Nov 29, 2010
Rick wrote:
<quoted text> The Dealership found the problem. Mice had chewed some of the insul.off about 8 wires under the fuse box on inner fender which they repaired. They also pulled all wires out of the connectors in the harness' related to throttle and recrimped each wire.Also reinstalled original tps.One of these,or all of them, worked.Took a full day ,but runs great.
and total cost?
kayleen

United States

#127 Dec 1, 2010
I have a 2003 chevy silverado 2500 HD gas with whatever the biggest engine chevy makes is. Twice now I have started it and it says Reduced engine power and it will only go about 20. I have no idea and neither does my husband so wanted to check here for ideas.
letty

Mexicali, Mexico

#128 Dec 6, 2010
Frank Ontario Canada wrote:
I have a 2003 silverado HD with an 8.1 L I have a problem with it going to reduce engine power I put an OBD reader on and it comes up with a code of either 120 which tells me it is the throttle pedal position sensor or 2135 which tells me it is the throttle body position sensor a- b corelation I replaced the throttle body with new one because you cant find a used one which was an expesive little touch. No luck I then replaced the accelerator pedal with a used one and this didn't work either. When a person gets to witts end I'm not sure which way you go. I would sure be gratefull and welcome any advice anyone has on this topic I'm quite sure I am not the only one who's had this problem Thanks in advance for any advice Frank
so in fact what is the solution for the reduce power engine?? i have tried lots of things but , nothing.. can u please detail me how to fix it please.. i will appreciated. thanks.
Sharlene

United States

#129 Dec 11, 2010
kayleen wrote:
I have a 2003 chevy silverado 2500 HD gas with whatever the biggest engine chevy makes is. Twice now I have started it and it says Reduced engine power and it will only go about 20. I have no idea and neither does my husband so wanted to check here for ideas.
From what I read here these models of trucks have a mfg defeat. We all need to demand a recall on these trucks from the chevrolet company itself.
wayne

Canton, IL

#130 Dec 15, 2010
letty wrote:
<quoted text>so in fact what is the solution for the reduce power engine?? i have tried lots of things but , nothing.. can u please detail me how to fix it please.. i will appreciated. thanks.
I have a 2003 chevey 1500 4x4 and I get the REP every time its cold outside ,but it works fine in the summer.I finaly figered it out .It is the gas peddal thoutal controll.If you have the same trouble ,take a hair dyer and blow on the control for a couple minutes when it cold out then drive it and see if it does it again when I did it it worked grate.good luck
cory

Saint Joseph, MN

#131 Dec 16, 2010
Rich wrote:
I have a 2003 Chevy silverado HD. I am having idle problems. the truck runs great except for when I come to a stop. When I press the brakes to stop the truck wants to die out. Any suggestions?
Clean your ground cable connections....They are located on the body mount under the drivers door...
Jim Reiter

Baltimore, MD

#132 Dec 17, 2010
Frank did you ever resolve the problem? I have a 2003 with the same problem only I've been ab le to turn the ignition on and off to get the check engine light to go away.
Frank Ontario Canada wrote:
I have a 2003 silverado HD with an 8.1 L I have a problem with it going to reduce engine power I put an OBD reader on and it comes up with a code of either 120 which tells me it is the throttle pedal position sensor or 2135 which tells me it is the throttle body position sensor a- b corelation I replaced the throttle body with new one because you cant find a used one which was an expesive little touch. No luck I then replaced the accelerator pedal with a used one and this didn't work either. When a person gets to witts end I'm not sure which way you go. I would sure be gratefull and welcome any advice anyone has on this topic I'm quite sure I am not the only one who's had this problem Thanks in advance for any advice Frank
Wood

Clarksville, TN

#133 Dec 18, 2010
Had the same problem with the reduced engine power(03 1500HD). A friend told me to disconnect the harness to the throttle body by the air intake at the front of the engine and make sure the connections were clean. I also gently tapped on the box, reconnected the harness and it clear the code and has been running fine so far. Hope this might help someone.
Wood

Clarksville, TN

#134 Dec 18, 2010
cory wrote:
<quoted text>
Clean your ground cable connections....They are located on the body mount under the drivers door...
Also pull the air intake off the throttle body, gently open it up by hand and clean around were the little flapper shuts. A friend had the same problem. He said it was carbon build up. His truck idels fine now.
Dale Hutchinson Mn

Hutchinson, MN

#135 Dec 18, 2010
03 chev sub , engine shut down to reduced power , many times. Checked throttle body position sensor when driving vehicle , got erratic voltage readings at 25% throttle open. Replaced throttle body , fixed problem .
Dale Hutchinson Mn

Hutchinson, MN

#136 Dec 18, 2010
03 chev sub , milage was 192000
Wood

Clarksville, TN

#137 Dec 18, 2010
Dale Hutchinson Mn wrote:
03 chev sub , milage was 192000
Was the throttle body very pricey
Chet

Landisburg, PA

#138 Dec 19, 2010
reduced eng pwr wrote:
I have a'04 chevy silv 1500 4wd, and I've been having this problem on and off for a year I replaced the tps three times, the wire harness that connects to it, the gas pedal w/ sensor, and it's all temporary until you're on the freeway and you lose power.....I don't know what to do neither do the so called mechanics, they've tried everything, nothing seems to work, maybe wwe should take our pos trucks back to gm and get our money back before they go bankrupt(p.s. my gauge cluster is all messed up as well,)
I am told that the reduced power is due to a faulty thermistat which is causing the cpu to think eng. is going to overheat. Also the instr. cluster is a known problem. you will have to replace it there is a bad servo in the cluster. There is a guy on Ebay who fixes these and guarrentees his work. It is alot cheaper than getting a new one. Hope this helps....
Dale Hutchinson Mn

Hutchinson, MN

#139 Dec 19, 2010
03 chevy sub 1500 , 192000 miles, 5.3 V8 , 4 speed auto . problem , engine powering down to Reduced engine power, Shop Mac. hooked up voltage meter to throttle body and checked while driving , at 1/4 throttle voltage was erratic . Replaced Throttle Body , its running fine know , 500 miles sense repair.
chevy owner

Mcdonough, GA

#140 Dec 22, 2010
I have experienced the same problem the solution was to tighten the battery cables they had become loose over time
Keystone PA

Shermans Dale, PA

#141 Dec 27, 2010
Rick wrote:
<quoted text> The Dealership found the problem. Mice had chewed some of the insul.off about 8 wires under the fuse box on inner fender which they repaired. They also pulled all wires out of the connectors in the harness' related to throttle and recrimped each wire.Also reinstalled original tps.One of these,or all of them, worked.Took a full day ,but runs great.
You're post saved me a ton of searching. I had 13 chewed wires and a mouse nest about the size of a softball.
John Aylward 03 Chevy

AOL

#142 Dec 28, 2010
2500 HD: Cold Start is fine, but after short warmup and start to go ,the check engine light/bell goes on and " reduced engine power " is displayed on my info center. Each time that I have shut off the truck and cracked open the overflow coolant canister, the power is restored and chech engine light goes out after a few off/on cycles. Anybody got an answer?
Tim

Belleville, IL

#143 Jan 7, 2011
I have been having this same problem, my Brother in law is a certified GM mechanice and he replaced the throttle body wiring first, then the throttle body plate. When he did this the part was on national backorder. That in itself gave me hope. At this time the truck seems fine now. He said on the computer it showed a variation between the plate sendor and the throttle sensor. It was always worse in the winter. So far so good.
Good luck.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2000 Silverado no tach, speedometer, transmissi... (Jun '09) Apr 27 Montana 37
1989 digital a/c- heater control issues (Sep '10) Apr 10 Ramon 2
2001 Chevy Silverado Transmission (Oct '07) Apr 7 Daniel 146
damp Apr 7 webb 1
reduce engine power (Nov '11) Apr 4 Cason harper 10
where is cooling fan relaylocated on 2005 chevy... (May '11) Mar '16 Runt hewitt 4
2005 Chevy Silverdo adding factory GM Navigation (Aug '06) Mar '16 Terry 56
More from around the web