2003 Chevrolet Silverado - Reduced En...
Robert

Akron, OH

#267 Mar 11, 2012
I replaced my throttle body 3/09/12 .$160.00 from autozone. Driven 120 miles so far with no problem.

Not convinced yet but hopeful.
Chick

United States

#268 Mar 11, 2012
Robert wrote:
I replaced my throttle body 3/09/12 .$160.00 from autozone. Driven 120 miles so far with no problem.
Not convinced yet but hopeful.
Worked for me!
darryl

Canada

#269 Mar 13, 2012
i have a similar problem. my 2003 silverado 2500hd will run great and all day lon but as soon as your doing hwy speed for about15-20 min reduced engine power comes on and the truck will come to a stop and will run fine again after letting sit for a minute.
1sicksilly

Fremont, CA

#270 Mar 13, 2012
Today I did a motor swap from a 4.8 to 6.0 everything went fine. As I was coming home the truck died and the "reduce engine power" light came on. Now it won't start. I left the 4.8 computer with out getting it flashed. Can someone please help me..?
Scott

Arlington, MA

#271 Mar 16, 2012
Tony B wrote:
I had the same problem last week. I came here to read if anyone else had. I see alot of people do. My Suburban was hard to crank and I got the "Reduced Engine Power" words on my DIC. By the way it is a 2003. When I read all the stuff people tried to no avail. I thought "oh crap". I checked several things and it didn`t work. But I kept going back to the battery, Finally I got a new one and its been running like a champ ever since. The man at O`Reillys said the computer when you first switch the vehicle on notices that the power is low and it goes into a reserve mode to save power. Check your battery!
I bought my 2003 silverado 2500HD new - Reduced engine power has happened on and off for 6 years - I brought it to the dealership the first 2 times - 90 dollars a wack - all they could do is reset the computer - there is no fix, I think it is a software issue involving my anti theft mechanism and the brains of the computer - the major reason for prompting reduced power is the vehicle believes the entry to the vehicle was not done with the correct opener. The only resolution I discovered is to pull over, lock and unlock car with opener - and eventually the car resumes with full power upon start. The warning light stays on for a couple of days and then goes off. JMO good luck.
Chick

United States

#272 Mar 16, 2012
Scott wrote:
<quoted text>
I bought my 2003 silverado 2500HD new - Reduced engine power has happened on and off for 6 years - I brought it to the dealership the first 2 times - 90 dollars a wack - all they could do is reset the computer - there is no fix, I think it is a software issue involving my anti theft mechanism and the brains of the computer - the major reason for prompting reduced power is the vehicle believes the entry to the vehicle was not done with the correct opener. The only resolution I discovered is to pull over, lock and unlock car with opener - and eventually the car resumes with full power upon start. The warning light stays on for a couple of days and then goes off. JMO good luck.
Try cleaning your throttle body first. If that does not do it, replace it. Rebuilt throttle body is about $185 at O'Reillys. After I cleaned mine the first time., I did not get the REP for over a year.
Ken - - Idaho

Orofino, ID

#273 Mar 16, 2012
My 5th and last update, cuz I am done with this Chevrolet. Gas pedal sensor, New Battery, Throttle body cleaned, new wiring harness. Each time something has been done, the REP read out usally does not come on for a few days to a few weeks. My mechanic said he has done everything he knows and has read to do on this pickup: 2003 - - 2500 chev. silverado HD.. Someone had suggested taking the radiator cap off and driving a new pickup under it. Parking this one and or selling it... Good luck to everyone who is have this problem. I have appreciated reading all the posts and for the people that have solved the problem -- good luck and wait awhile. That is what I did, but the REP just keeps coming back like a bad penny...
Leo from miami

Miami, FL

#274 Mar 20, 2012
I had the same problem with my 2002 silverado hd 2500 and i fixed it very easy and cheap
I bought a throttle body cleaner spray 2.99
Took off the incoming air hose at the front of the engine and wasted the hole can in the throttle
Then started the truck and never had that problem again
The check engine light went off by itself
darren ct

Westport, CT

#275 Mar 27, 2012
reduced engine power anyone have problems with turning key off and engine still running with the keys in my pocket
Jordan

Ocala, FL

#276 Mar 27, 2012
I have an 03 chev 1500 z71. Have codes knock 1 and 2 sensor low input. I have replaced sensors. Replaced, MAF sensor, MAP sensor, and throttle sensor, I also have the reduced engine power display. Not all the time.
darren ct

Westport, CT

#277 Mar 28, 2012
2006 2500hd only wont shut off when displaying reduced engine power when message isnt displayed truck works good
Jeff Moore

Hurricane, WV

#278 Apr 19, 2012
I have had the Reduced Engine Power message come up on my 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 Classic and it has been off and on for the last year. I put up with it for a while and finally it did it again 4 times the other day, once yesterday, and 6 times today. I finally drove it straight to the dealership and let them diagnose the problem. They stated that it was the Gas Pedal. All gas pedals since 04 or 05 are now electronic and it has evidently gone bad. I am going tomorrow to get a new one and have installed and see if that fixes my problem.
Chick

United States

#279 Apr 19, 2012
There is a sensor on the gas pedal that can cause the problem you are having, but this is not the cause everytime. Unfortunately, there are numerous things that can cause this. Contrary to what the one guy said, it can be fixed. You just have to find which one it is. Mine was the throttle body.
Jaime

ZacapĂș, Mexico

#280 Apr 20, 2012
help wrote:
we have a 2003 silverodo that when you go out to start some times won't start on first turn. put it on machine said everything is fine. told us to change gas filter did this and run good for about 2 weeks now doing it again . any one know what could be wrong with it
Check the pressure of the gas pump, mine use to do that, I changed the pump and the problem is gone.
charles

Paris, TN

#281 Apr 30, 2012
turn engine off, erase chec engine light.clean throttle body assemby. restart engine. worked fine for my 03 chevy truck.good luck
frustrated owner

Loganville, GA

#282 Apr 30, 2012
Well...it's been almost 10 months since the last fix. I repeat that what finally worked for me was replacing the throttle body and the pedal position sensor at the same time using DEALER parts. Disconnect the battery before swapping the parts out. Like the rest of you, my 2003 2500 went to REP multiple times per day. I would swap one of the componants listed above with non-dealership parts and it would work fine for days, weeks, or months. Never ever this long. I hate to jinx myself by posting this, but I know how frustrated all other posters have been for the past 10 months! The dealer price was not outrageous and the swapouts easy even for someone like me who does not work on cars! Good luck to all.
Ken

Sioux Falls, SD

#283 May 6, 2012
I'm having the same thing happen to my 2004 Suburban. Every time we get a decent rain I get the Reduced Engine Power. When I take it to the car wash the thing acts like it's going to die. I dropped it off at my mechanice and hope this is the resolution. Thanks for the post.
chris wrote:
After having a Throttle Position Sensor replaced,a Trottlebody replaced and a new battery installed on my 03 2500 silverado, the reduced engine power syndrome continued-but only when it was raining.After putting some thought into it,the past times when this happened, it was in wet conditions.Truck runs great when its dry outside,as it has been here for 2 weeks.
But last night the rain returned and alot of it.Left to go to work and made it less than a mile when boom, REDUCED ENGINE POWER. I pulled over, removed battery cable,relaced cable, started truck,REP was gone but the check engine light was on.Took it to the mechanic,he scanned it and it was showing 4 different codes(I didnt get these from him but they were all tps type codes).He told me that the GM tech notes on this situation pointed to mositure getting into the Throttle Control Module which is located under the windshield where the water all runs to.He removed the tcm (there was some mositure,but no corrision)wiped it off and sprayed it with dielectric spray, replaced and the check engine light was gone.That was it.
Doesnt it seem as if these engineers designing these autos that we all pay so much for would stop and think that sensitive electrical components would maybe be less problematic if they were actually located in the cab of the thing instead of under the hood where the water runs off the windshield?
Pauline

United States

#284 May 27, 2012
Today I was driving with my friend and someone did a wrong turn and after that my truck began to say reduced engine power and it wouldn't go higher than 15mph and when I made a stop it would start shaking so I apologized stopped at a gasoline store and my friend took a look at it and moved some cables around then it worked just fine but when I was about to get home it started again what should I do??? And why does this happen?? Thanks
Chick

Beaumont, TX

#285 May 27, 2012
Your throttle body gets out of sync with where it is suppose to be. In a pinch, remove the battery cable which resets your computer, but that is a temporary fix. Trying cleaning the inside of the throttle body with a can of throttle body cleaner. You may have to chaneg out the throttle body. About $180 at O'Reilly's
Robert

Columbia Station, OH

#286 May 28, 2012
had that problem for over a year. Changed my throttle body 4,000 miles ago and it hasn't happened since.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2001 Chevy Silverado Transmission (Oct '07) Jun 15 cronkabonk 148
Heater AC electrical problem 1995 1500 Chevy (Nov '07) Jun 14 96k3500chevy 63
2007 Sliverado Transmission Shifting issues (Jan '12) Jun 12 Tim Matkovich 25
2000 Silverado no tach, speedometer, transmissi... (Jun '09) Jun 4 bandit1222 40
ac problems on 1993 chevy c1500 (Jun '09) May 28 vortec59501 11
2000 Chevrolet Siverado Michigan Rust Issues Help May '16 stevie1189 1
Blower motor won't work on high May '16 Paul 1
More from around the web