2003 Chevrolet Silverado - Reduced En...
charlie

United States

#204 Sep 16, 2011
Keith wrote:
<quoted text>
So charlie,, you are saying IF i go to a junkyard dealer and take the throttle peddle, and tac module both from the Same truck, then my truck will be fixed permantly???? With so many trucks having this problem, what makes you think that just by getting both pieces from the Same truck in the junkyard that it will Fix it??, WHat if the junked truck was having the same problem?
The TAC mods dont just go bad. Someone changed a sensor. If it were bad it wouldnt even start......
Keith

Estevan, Canada

#205 Sep 17, 2011
ok Thanks Charlie for your replys
charlie

United States

#206 Sep 17, 2011
Jon wrote:
Havin performance problems w my 5.3l 2003 silverado runs slow and takes a long time to pick up speed...I've had codes for knock sensor bank 2 ...andmy evap system....wondering if these code affect. My engine and mpg's and horsepower......and when I'm at idle it runs fine for about 5 mins then runs rough like it wants to shut off....need help soon.....oh yea and I've already replaced mass airflow and tranny if that helps
Replace your knock sensors. They are under the intake manifold. They control fuel pulse and duration. They are about $50.00 each. Bet it goes flupflupflupflup on idle bouncing at around 350 rpm.....the valley has a tendancy to collect water. They r rusty.
charlie

United States

#207 Sep 17, 2011
Jon wrote:
Havin performance problems w my 5.3l 2003 silverado runs slow and takes a long time to pick up speed...I've had codes for knock sensor bank 2 ...andmy evap system....wondering if these code affect. My engine and mpg's and horsepower......and when I'm at idle it runs fine for about 5 mins then runs rough like it wants to shut off....need help soon.....oh yea and I've already replaced mass airflow and tranny if that helps
Almost forgot....the EVAP in question is under truck the black box in front of your gas tank. Replace and it should be fixed.
charlie

United States

#208 Sep 17, 2011
Keith wrote:
ok Thanks Charlie for your replys
Any time. Have fun.
Limp mode

Virginia Beach, VA

#209 Sep 18, 2011
OK I've got something to say; The cleaning of the TB did nothing.
But since I had so much trouble with the main ground cable bolt being loose, I decided to replace the one from somewhere behind engine (couldn't get to it to prove it was loose), with one from the alt. bracket (where you jump start from) and the lug on the firewall. So far so good.
If someone doesn't understand, just ask me.
Gary
Limp mode

Virginia Beach, VA

#210 Sep 19, 2011
Nope, that did not take care of it.
Does anyone have a fix for this?
Gary
Mike T234

Loganville, GA

#211 Sep 19, 2011
Limp mode wrote:
Nope, that did not take care of it.
Does anyone have a fix for this?
Gary
Posts 189 190 191 is the fix!
03 silver lemon

Bowling Green, KY

#212 Sep 20, 2011
Yep! Iv been living w/ this POS for 3 years now, bought it from a buddy, wasnt screwed up then but now the TURD is starting to peek. Damn thing (305)when it gets cold ,wont idle .Just about to the point of croaking then idles up and then Idle drops again. In the summer,,,no problem! Of course the Damn instrament cluster is so screwed up, Porkers gave me a friggin ticket first time it started. I didnt know. Damn cop said I was going 65 in a 55. 10 mph off...Great! I paid and then it really started going BAZERK! gas gauge, Temp, Oil, Oh and theres no recall? WTF? What a Shi**y truck. When It gets paid off the grandboys are gonna have a field truck to practice there driving.(in the field!)
big wolf

Kenner, LA

#213 Oct 1, 2011
kristy wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello, my name is Kristy, and I was curious to see how you were able to fix the problem with this situation. My father has a 2500 HD Silverado 2003 model. He is experiencing the same thing with with his "reduce engine power" light coming on. If you would please help us out with this delima we are having. thank you so much!
check the air filter and change it if its dirty. It will send a bad signal to the throttle body.
kenny

Stafford, VA

#214 Oct 3, 2011
my 2003 had reduced engine power battery wasn't putting out enough power i put new battery in truck was fixed gas pedal works fine now.
mike

Muskogee, OK

#215 Oct 8, 2011
Scott wrote:
Just wanted to let you guys know that dealership found problem with my truck this am.
It was gas pedal --- accelerator position sensor --- app. older model trucks have cables and the newer ones have gone to electronic (computer parts)
Hey i have an 03 chevy i bought a new battery, altenator, all new and monday my truck started to act sluggish when i started it. and today i went into the mall came out and it said reduced engine power made it to auto parts store it said o2 sensor heater port 1 he cleared it and it runs fine get it home now the damn thing isnt starting.
Lineboss89

Bettendorf, IA

#216 Oct 19, 2011
Rick wrote:
I have an 03 HD and am having the reduced engine power problem. My mech. said to replace gas pedal throttle pos. sensor, i did and no luck. Next he put his diagnostic comp on it and it said to replace throttle-body TPS (expensive!) No luck. I was letting it warm up to op. temp before leaving, and that seemed to work,for a while. But now it will do it 3 and 4 times a trip. Also sometimes its sluggish and has a little hesitation at 50 to 60 mph. Kind of hard to plow snow w/ this POS!
I had a simmilar problem. It turned out to be the fuel sensor. Easy way to check it is to remove the vacum hoe and see if it is sucking fuel into the vacum sys. I replaced it and runs like new. I hope this helps
Limp mode

Virginia Beach, VA

#217 Oct 19, 2011
Lineboss89 wrote:
<quoted text>
I had a simmilar problem. It turned out to be the fuel sensor. Easy way to check it is to remove the vacum hoe and see if it is sucking fuel into the vacum sys. I replaced it and runs like new. I hope this helps
I wish to learn more about this. I googled fuel sensor and got "fuel pressure sensor" or "fuel level sensor".
Is one of these what you are talking about?
Thanks
Limp mode

Virginia Beach, VA

#218 Oct 19, 2011
Mike T234 wrote:
<quoted text>
Posts 189 190 191 is the fix!
Thanks for the reply Mike.
Seems unnatural to have to do this.
Among other things, I am a little worried if the yard will give the matching set.
Actually, I put out a feeler that I needed these, nobody responded.
Thanks again,
Gary
MikeT234

Loganville, GA

#219 Oct 19, 2011
Limper...What finally worked for me was using dealer parts for the pedal position sensor and the throttle body control. I had been using AutoZone parts several times before and I never made it more than a month before it started again. If I recall, I did not replace both at the exact time, but within a day or two of each other. I've had many, many good months, to the point I think it may finally be good!

Now if only I could get the speedometer to quit doing it's thing about once or twice per month. Gets hung up around 40 and thinks its on zero. Next thing you know, your cruising at 120+ mph, but the little old grannies are zooming past you! Then the oil pressure gauge pegs out. Easy fix when at my destination to bump the starter which drops the speedo ten mph. Do that about 10 times, and good to go! Course I will probably wear out the starter!! Heard the fix is having to replace the wiring harness. My vote is class action lawsuit!!

Other than those items, the 2500 has been good to me. 135,000 and still have factory brakes on! Good luck to ya on yours!
MikeT234

Loganville, GA

#220 Oct 19, 2011
LOL....I just looked back and it's only been since July 1st since I have gone to limp mode. It just seems much longer since I don't have to deal with it two to four times or more daily! And the two parts were easy to install, saving a lot of bucks! I just feel like its fixed now.
Ben

Acton, MA

#221 Oct 20, 2011
Charlie, Can I replace both the TAC and the throttle pedal with new OEM parts "C" series or later?

Thanks!
Ben

Acton, MA

#222 Oct 20, 2011
Mike the speedometer thing is bad stepper motors. You can get a rebuilt dash for ~$300 or less. Check out eBay- There's a guy who rebuilds them. You buy one of his and then send him your old one which keeps the cost down. That's the way to go unless you want to replace the stepper motors which looks like a REAL pain!
Kevin

Milwaukee, WI

#223 Oct 21, 2011
Have the '03 Chevy 1500HD w/ the 6.0L, only 63,000 miles. Just had the following work done: replaced pads/rotors, leaking oil cooler line, and bad ABS sensors (front). Also changed fuel filter, oil, transmission fluid, and transfer case fluid. About 3-4 miles down the road, engine suddenly died with no warning. Would not turn over, and seemed electrical. DIS read "reduced engine power." I verified clean, sufficient oil on dipstick. Battery found to be faulty, and replaced by warranty. New battery installed, no change. Mechanic friend said engine is locked/seized up. Code on his machine was "1516." Any ideas? I'm totally at a loss here...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Interior Fan quit working on speed 1 and 2 (Nov '07) Thu Ryan 25
2007 Sliverado Transmission Shifting issues (Jan '12) Dec 3 07 tran 37
99 Silverado battery drain on radio fuse (Jan '12) Dec 2 Bill 12
Silverado 5.3 hard starting when hot. (Mar '12) Dec 1 Chevyguy4lyfe 11
Heater AC electrical problem 1995 1500 Chevy (Nov '07) Nov 29 Willienaz 73
2008 Silverado Battery Goes Dead (Oct '09) Nov 24 lwllphll 127
2001 Chevy Silverado Transmission (Oct '07) Nov 23 Michael rhoden 152
More from around the web