S10 2000 Starter Replacement

S10 2000 Starter Replacement

Posted in the Chevrolet S-10 Forum

Vince

Cleveland, OH

#1 Feb 9, 2007
Does anyone know the correct way to replace to starter. There's hardly any room in there and I can't get to the electrical connections. Thanks.
Jeff Hall

Virginia Beach, VA

#2 Mar 16, 2007
Funny....just did one tonight! It is tight in there.....but not as tight as my T/A!! Got the little electrical bolt from underneath. Just use a small open end wrench, reach up next to the exhaust and have patience! You can bend the electric connector out of the way a bit so the wrench fits better. The larger connector I did from the wheelwell where there is an opening covered with some cardboard/felt kind of stuff. I could get a socket through after loosing it with a open end. Also take off the bellhousing backing plate which surrounds the 'nose' of the starter (should be 2 screws) I also had to take the exhaust manifold bolts off to flex the downpipe out of the way a little when I dropped the starter out and the new one in. If you are lucky you might as well remove the downpipe altogether as then there is more room...But the bolts at the converter were giving me trouble so I just left it. Whatever you do, have patience! It takes some time and it helps if you can see where you need to work and then visualize it in your mind when your hands and tool get in the way as you work. The only problem I had (besides the time it took!) was the new starter instructions called for shimming the starter under certain situations....but I do not know how to do that and it looks like (sounds like) mine needs shimmed....! If you need clarification on anything just e-mail me at [email protected] Good Luck
Ben

Collingswood, NJ

#3 Jul 4, 2008
dude i been in under my s10 for a hour or so and i cant seem to get it out. i got the long bolt off and the shallow one out and i cant get my hands to the wires... its friday and i need my truck by monday helppp
Ron

Bedford, NH

#4 May 4, 2009
Ben wrote:
dude i been in under my s10 for a hour or so and i cant seem to get it out. i got the long bolt off and the shallow one out and i cant get my hands to the wires... its friday and i need my truck by monday helppp
Just did mine yesterday. The back of starter has a "C" bracket holding it up, you can take out the one bold that holds this up through the drivers side wheel well, you will need extention about a foot long. Also take off the black pipe that has 3 bolts holding it on. The other thing I did was free up the position cable from the battery all the way down to the starter but cutting the plastic ties and removing the one bolt along the way. I could pull down the started, just barely, and disconnect the wires very easily. Hope this helps and have patience and good luck.
lee

Ocean Isle Beach, NC

#5 Jun 18, 2009
help remove starter 91 s10 4x4 5 speed cant get it out no room
D el

United States

#6 Dec 20, 2009
Suffering starter problems with 2000 s10. Battery is hot with spark but fuse box in engine compartment seems to have connectivity issues. And at times I turn the key all the way forward and it takes a second or two before the engine decides it should crank ove. it will crank and start strong when it decides it wants to. I hate spooky electonics -anybody got any ideas/
Cecil

Hogansville, GA

#7 Jun 29, 2011
Installed new starter in 2001 S-10. When I connected the negative battery post, it tried to crank without the key in the switch.
Anyone know a solution or cause?
slh

Montgomery, AL

#8 Sep 29, 2011
how hared is it to replace a starter on a 1995 chevrolet s-10 pick uo truck and do you have a video or something that will help?
mike tn tech

Rock Island, TN

#9 Nov 8, 2011
if the truck tries to start when you hook up the batt you have the big wire on the wrong post on the starter..
Brett

Raymond, NH

#10 Jan 24, 2013
Are you talking about the 2.2 liter or the 4.3?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet S-10 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2000 S10 Fuel Problems (Nov '08) 18 hr Luke Duke Teaster 158
throttle idle adjustment Nov 30 Rhonda 2
s-10 idle adjustment Nov 30 cdbrk 1
2000 S10 blower for heater doesnt work (Jan '10) Nov 25 George 8
91 Chevy S10 4x4 v6 4.3L Idle issues (Mar '08) Nov 25 Chris1980 137
Maximum Warp for 1995 Chevy S10 2.2 liter cylin... Nov 16 indyyy 1
2002 s10 crew cab problems, need help Nov 16 GooseGun 1
More from around the web