91 Chevy S10 4x4 v6 4.3L Idle issues
joe

Abingdon, VA

#24 Nov 8, 2009
my 1991 s10 4.3l wont start with the coil wire on the distributer it will start with it jumping spark have replaced the distributer and coil the computer and tried to ground the distributer can anyone help
Mike Stafford

Lafayette, LA

#25 Nov 19, 2009
tyler2 wrote:
so i have a 91 s10 pickup extended cab 5 speed and my 4x4 doesnt work at all but what part do i need and where is it located?
There is a cable that controls your 4x4.It should be to the left of the radiator if you are looking from the front of the truck.Make sure your cable did not break or come loose.
kyle

Ogden, UT

#26 Dec 15, 2009
tyler2 wrote:
so i have a 91 s10 pickup extended cab 5 speed and my 4x4 doesnt work at all but what part do i need and where is it located?
hey i had the same problem on my exact same truck it was the vacuum actuator its right under the battery pan, i went and bought the actuator at car quest and put it in. took 20 minutes and it works perfect.
phillip wilder idaho

Springfield, ID

#27 Dec 15, 2009
I got a 87 s10 4x4. 4wd dont work. changed vac. actuator and indacator switch. no luck. get a little help?
phillip wilder idaho

Springfield, ID

#28 Dec 15, 2009
1987 s10 4x4 wont engage
Jon

Park Ridge, NJ

#29 Jan 21, 2010
I just got a 92 blazer w/ 4.3 tbi cant get it to idle, sat for 7 yrs replaced plugs cap rotor drained gas and replaced. Cleaned egr and iac valve no luck any suggestions?
phillip wilder idaho

Aberdeen, ID

#30 Jan 26, 2010
what is the easiest way to wire my 85, came with 2.5l tbi. now running carburated 350 with hei?
phillip wilder idaho

Aberdeen, ID

#31 Jan 26, 2010
if it wont idle low then run a can of fuel inj. cleaner. If it wont idle high then you may have a vacume leak
Dwight Carver

Gainesville, GA

#32 Feb 3, 2010
I got a 91 s-10 4x4 extended cab. I've went through 3 4.3 blocks and i've came through the same problem but mine is way different it idles very high and when you get to idle up then it acts like it wants to die out on you. We've went through 2 throttle bodys, 2 tcs sensors, 2 map sensors, and everything. My dad and my grandpa are mechanis and are stumped i got this truck off a trade and we have put a new motor in it, new brake and brake lines, and practically rebuilt this truck from the ground up and i've put over 600 dollars in it. It has the origanal fuel pump and filter, computer, and everything. its a 1990 truck with a 1991 engine do i need to get the new computer in with this truck. please help
CJB

Milford, PA

#33 Feb 15, 2010
i have a 91 chevy s10 2.5L tbi i have replaced the tps map 02 distributer plugs wires temp the coil and fuel pump the prob is that it will sometimes run fine and most of the time will start up run till it gets warm and when i hit the gas it stops getting fuel and wants to stall to the point i cant move the truck soon as i let off the gas it runs fine again i have no idea what is wrong and any advice will be greatfull thanks in advanced
bigrig177

Stephenville, Canada

#34 Feb 17, 2010
CJB wrote:
i have a 91 chevy s10 2.5L tbi i have replaced the tps map 02 distributer plugs wires temp the coil and fuel pump the prob is that it will sometimes run fine and most of the time will start up run till it gets warm and when i hit the gas it stops getting fuel and wants to stall to the point i cant move the truck soon as i let off the gas it runs fine again i have no idea what is wrong and any advice will be greatfull thanks in advanced
sounds like you should start with fuel filter on frame
bigrig177

Stephenville, Canada

#35 Feb 17, 2010
try your fuel filter on frame
shotgun

Spartanburg, SC

#36 Feb 19, 2010
CJB wrote:
Bad fuel pressure regulator or fuel filter needs 2 b changed
John

Watertown, NY

#37 Mar 18, 2010
I have a 99 S-10 that I just got from a friend and the idle would go low and sometimes high. For a 2.2L it eats fuel like crazy. I am in the same boat as so of you are in. I have recently change the driveshaft and exhaust from the cat to tail pipe. I am not trying to spend more then what I already spent. If anybody can give the correct solution to this problem I would greatly appreicate it. Oh my engine light came on and I had borrow friend code reader and 2 code came up P0113 and P0440.
John

Greenville, NC

#38 Mar 28, 2010
I got a 91 4.3l s-10 that I just got back on the road after replacing the fuel pump only to have pinched a fuel line by the tank giving me pressure issues that took me months to correct. Any way it starts up just fine and runs good lacks some power but the odd thing that I am having is that when it heats up the check engine light comes on and it appears, from the temp gauge, to run colder then it used to. Is the temp sensor bad? Or could it be a combo of temp sensor and vacuum leak? I'm a little stumped with where to start. Try to run codes to see if it gives me anything? IDK Thanks to all for the help.
mike

Reno, NV

#39 Mar 31, 2010
slysayshi wrote:
i have a 91 s-10 4.3 auto 2wd....my dad left it to me and i really want to fix it up. so far i've replaced the fuel pump and filter..oxygen sensor..egr valve..map sensor..vaccum selinoid..coil..ignition coil...tps..knock sensor..both coolant temp sensors..plugs wires cap and rotor..idle air control all vaccum lines..entire exhuast system...now has dual exhaust....and the esc module and the ecm. the problem is stalling and cutting out. code says map sensor....i'm on the 3rd new one. lacks power up hills and will stall after just seconds at lights.i have replaced the tbi also....ireally want to get this truck running properly..every garage has shakes thier head and tell me to let them know when i figure it out...this truck belonged to my dad..its got a new paint job and rimms and i want it to run like it should...help if you can....thanks in advance.
Visually check the fuel injectors while its running. Dont buy a tbi get a rebuild kit FIRST. Mqake sure every plug has spark. Compression check it. Dont b discouraged if thats low mine still has power and the check ended up being 85 psi. I would rebuild your tbi, replace the iac and tps if you havent. U could check the tcc solenoid but i doubt thats it. You can visually ceck fuel flow by removing fltr and turning your ignition to on. If you have replaced all those sensors rebuild the tbi and make sure you have sufficient fuel and spark. Check them wires 2
Richey

Davenport, FL

#40 Apr 11, 2010
Dwight Carver wrote:
I got a 91 s-10 4x4 extended cab. I've went through 3 4.3 blocks and i've came through the same problem but mine is way different it idles very high and when you get to idle up then it acts like it wants to die out on you. We've went through 2 throttle bodys, 2 tcs sensors, 2 map sensors, and everything. My dad and my grandpa are mechanis and are stumped i got this truck off a trade and we have put a new motor in it, new brake and brake lines, and practically rebuilt this truck from the ground up and i've put over 600 dollars in it. It has the origanal fuel pump and filter, computer, and everything. its a 1990 truck with a 1991 engine do i need to get the new computer in with this truck. please help
Im working on one with the same problem.If you fixed yours let me know if not tomorrow im shooting for the iac valve.Idle air control valve,and the temperature sensor.Your Iac is on the left side back of the tbi.it works with your tps sensor to allow proper air intake.
Richey

Davenport, FL

#41 Apr 13, 2010
Jon wrote:
I just got a 92 blazer w/ 4.3 tbi cant get it to idle, sat for 7 yrs replaced plugs cap rotor drained gas and replaced. Cleaned egr and iac valve no luck any suggestions?
Try the temp sensor next to the goose neck $9.99 at Napa.
david

Highland, NY

#42 Apr 18, 2010
i have a 96 s-15 long bed and the truck just randomly stalls out and there is an electronic click in the fuel pump relay switch right before it dies i have replaced the relay switch but it still stalls. any suggestions?
Dean

Frisco, TX

#43 Jul 19, 2010
david wrote:
i have a 96 s-15 long bed and the truck just randomly stalls out and there is an electronic click in the fuel pump relay switch right before it dies i have replaced the relay switch but it still stalls. any suggestions?
try getting a wire diagram and take the relay off and jump the terminal off with a wire and see if it stays running. If it does then you know it's the relay, if it still stalls then it may be the ECM. Hope this helps, good luck

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet S-10* Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Zr2 s-10 rear 3.73 posi for sale (Jul '07) Sun Chronamyd 42
engine swap...A 4.3 vortec v6 into a 1990 s10 4x4 (Aug '06) Jan 19 Adam 103
tire combinations for 1994 s10 ls Jan 15 mickey hazlewood 1
2000 S10 Fuel Problems (Nov '08) Jan 10 John 175
1998 S10 lack of power and blowing smoke Jan 9 JasonW 2
service light comes on Jan 2 brickyard 1
Changing steering wheel question Dec 25 Dan 1
More from around the web