Tiffany

Oklahoma City, OK

#22 Apr 22, 2010
I am having the same problem with my 2001 MC. Had the catalytic converter replaced to fix the initial slow acceleration, but still have the 'whining noise'<clunking and the RPMs slipping.

For anyone who comes here looking for help with the Monte Carlo or similar GM vehicle which "Bangs" "Clunks" or "Slams" into gears ( you may have noticed your transmission shifts ok for the first few minutes after you start it):

This is caused by the failure of the PSC or Pressure Control Solenoid. This solenoid resides inside the transmission and regulates "Line Pressure". When this solenoid goes bad, the computer notices the transmission is not shifting right and defaults to what is known as "Max Adapt / Long Shift" mode in which the line pressure is maxed out. This is what causes the harsh shifts and this is why the car will drive smoothly for a few miles after you start it and then shift harshly.

This repair requires removal of an access cover which is not easy to get at. The charge for this job is around $600, with most of this cost due to the labor involved. After this job was done, the car has been great! No problems at all in the last 20K, and we did get a local garage to do a Chemical Flush of the transmission. Again, no problems, but if your trans fluid is dark, smells burnt, or has gritty bits in it, it may be too far gone to fix like this.

*Occasional problems with this vehicle are failures of the Transmission PressureControl Solenoid (PCS) and the connections at the Transmission Pass-Thru Connector. Failure of the Transmission PCS is identified in TSB # 00-07-30-002B. Failure of the connections at the Transmission Pass-Thru Connector is identified in TSB # 02-07-30-022B. The cost to repair the Transmission PCS is estimated at $45.61 for parts and $273.00 for labor. The cost to repair the Transmission Pass-Thru Connector is estimated at $10.00 for parts and $65.00 for labor. All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.
Venfayon

New Baltimore, MI

#23 Jun 6, 2010
The problem you all are having is what I had with my 2000 Monte Carlo. My check engine light came on and it shifted rough and whole car shook. Monte Carlos and Malibus have the same transmission and you need a rebuild kit that has to be installed by drilling a while in the valve body. Having it done cost $700 or $900. Cheaper than buying a whole new transmission. Oh, all of them are like that, just a matter of time before your sensor goes too.
Steve

Manchester, NH

#24 Jun 11, 2010
Doug wrote:
I was having that common problem with my 2000 Monte SS where there is little power in 1st gear and felt like it was slipping into 3rd gear but not always. There was a damaged wire between the transmission and the computer. 2 hours labor and it is all better. Chevy also has a TSB for a wire under the battery tray causing this problem so it can be either.
Doug
What is the tsb cable under battery ?
Steve

Manchester, NH

#25 Jun 11, 2010
my e-mail is bluzmkr1@yahoo.com that will be better for me to get to alright ? steve
JC1985MC2007

Saint Charles, MO

#26 Jul 1, 2010
i own a 2007 monte carlo ls and when i went to best buy to get a wiring harness for my radio they told me it could damage my transmission i thought he was crazy so i bought the cheap one adn since july of 2008 ive had my tranny replaced twice free of charge
sherry

United States

#27 Jul 16, 2010
have a 2000 montie, trannie started shifting hard into 2 then 3 gear, had a rebuild done, still does it, gm certified mac. says its coil packs and plug and wires, changed them, still does it not all the time might take it a month to do it, then it sounds like bands are whinning in it and smells hot, then starts banging hard into second and third gear, mach. says it still needs new coil packs from gm, i am very frustrated now got over 2,000 dollars in it now and still same thing and only had the car 3 months. can anyone help???
Beardog

Hopkinsville, KY

#28 Aug 31, 2010
Tiffany wrote:
I am having the same problem with my 2001 MC. Had the catalytic converter replaced to fix the initial slow acceleration, but still have the 'whining noise'<clunking and the RPMs slipping.
For anyone who comes here looking for help with the Monte Carlo or similar GM vehicle which "Bangs" "Clunks" or "Slams" into gears ( you may have noticed your transmission shifts ok for the first few minutes after you start it):
This is caused by the failure of the PSC or Pressure Control Solenoid. This solenoid resides inside the transmission and regulates "Line Pressure". When this solenoid goes bad, the computer notices the transmission is not shifting right and defaults to what is known as "Max Adapt / Long Shift" mode in which the line pressure is maxed out. This is what causes the harsh shifts and this is why the car will drive smoothly for a few miles after you start it and then shift harshly.
This repair requires removal of an access cover which is not easy to get at. The charge for this job is around $600, with most of this cost due to the labor involved. After this job was done, the car has been great! No problems at all in the last 20K, and we did get a local garage to do a Chemical Flush of the transmission. Again, no problems, but if your trans fluid is dark, smells burnt, or has gritty bits in it, it may be too far gone to fix like this.
*Occasional problems with this vehicle are failures of the Transmission PressureControl Solenoid (PCS) and the connections at the Transmission Pass-Thru Connector. Failure of the Transmission PCS is identified in TSB # 00-07-30-002B. Failure of the connections at the Transmission Pass-Thru Connector is identified in TSB # 02-07-30-022B. The cost to repair the Transmission PCS is estimated at $45.61 for parts and $273.00 for labor. The cost to repair the Transmission Pass-Thru Connector is estimated at $10.00 for parts and $65.00 for labor. All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.
Thanks, this helped. Mine has been doing some of the same things.

Code is (torque converter circuit stuck on).
John L

Seattle, WA

#30 Nov 25, 2010
Doug wrote:
I was having that common problem with my 2000 Monte SS where there is little power in 1st gear and felt like it was slipping into 3rd gear but not always. There was a damaged wire between the transmission and the computer. 2 hours labor and it is all better. Chevy also has a TSB for a wire under the battery tray causing this problem so it can be either.
Always double check the fluid level.
David

Janesville, WI

#31 Dec 2, 2010
Herbykw wrote:
I have a 02 MC SS and when it is hot and i speed up quickly it shakes and hesitates for a couple seconds then is fine. Also my ABS and traction control lights are on. heard this is a common problem.
The ABS and traction control light came on in my 2001 monte and the problem was the hub assembly went bad, it made a grinding noise like breaks, and or tire humming noise. All it is is the Hub assembly that has a sensor clip that goes bad and alerts the computer that triggers the abs and traction control warning lights.
little hobbs

Elizabethtown, KY

#32 Mar 19, 2011
Sorry I'm late on this post but I bought a 02 mc ss with the 3800 in it about 2 weeks ago and when I'm driving when it goes from 2nd to 3rd it starts putting like it don't wanna shift only does it when its warmed up tho and idea what's causing this please help I just paid 7000 for this car don't wanna put another 1000 in it
Jen

Summersville, WV

#33 Apr 1, 2011
I have a 2000 Chevy Monte Carlo SS. My Crank Sensor needs replaced. I cannot get the harmonic balancer off to replace the crank sensor. Does anyone know how to get this part off?
wesley

Bonne Terre, MO

#34 Apr 17, 2011
have a 2000 monte carlo had motor replaced due to engine compartment fire. All 2000 models have recall on them for that reason. My thing is since motor was replaced the car will not shift into drive. Had test ran still cant figure out the issues.
01ssmonte

New Orleans, LA

#35 Apr 25, 2011
My trans slips a little, not a whole lot, just a little. My main concern is that it doesn't go into the last gear. I'm a total do it yourself kinda person so I was gone rent that $300 diagnostics tool from o'reilly cause if I'm not mistaken it reads trans codes too. I been looking at a lot of posts and the closest thing I could come up with tcc. Was wondering if anyone had the same problem with the trans not going into the last gear?
pat

Delaware, OH

#36 Aug 3, 2011
my 01 monte trans. just started slipping.while driving at about 50, it just let loose. Now it wont even move. I can feel it go into gear when I shift from park to rev.and from rev.to drive but nothing happens. Could it be the torque converter? I would hate to take the time to pull the motor if it could be something as simple as a broken wire or plugged filter
vtbambam

Hamilton, AL

#37 Sep 19, 2011
Ok We bought my brother's 02 monte carlo LS in July. My husband drove it for about a month . During this time the traction control, brake light, Service engine, and ABS lights stayed on constantly. About 3 weeks ago the thing decided it wanted to back out of the carport and stay there in my way of backing my nitro out of the carport. We can't even put it in neutral and push it out of the way. The wheels will not move on it. The transmission sounds like something ain't catching it is. and the brakes sound like there is air in them that ain't supposed to be. I have owned a monte carlo before but the problem I had was it was an 84 SS and it had been put thru the ringer. This 02 monte carlo I know what it has been thru since my brother bought in 08 and he drives like grandpa and babied it to no end. He didn't even want to sell it to me. I know he took care of it so this little problem has me scratching my head like WTF! I need at least a way to get the dang thing to move so I can get it to a shop or atleast moved around where a tow truck can pick it up. HELP!
Jeremy

Pineville, LA

#38 Sep 20, 2011
Doug wrote:
Who did the check on the transmission Doug?
April

United States

#39 Sep 24, 2011
I also have a 2000 mc it is not catching any low gears i see people say its a wire its a job thats 500 900 dollars i see a lot of storys auto zone showed it being a solenoid in my transmission anyone else have this issue my check engine light on with the problem
dayzenconfused

Buffalo, MN

#40 Sep 24, 2011
My 99 Monte Carlo wont work in first gear and when put in park the orange marker that normally shows up under it, doesnt show as if its not really in park. All other gears light up though. If that makes sense..
isaias valenzuela

Yuma, AZ

#41 Oct 31, 2011
My 2000 Monte Carlo SS is having problems with my transmission. When it gets to the second gear its all good but when it needs to get to the third gear it likes puts in neutral by itself and it doesn't enter the third gear. I need to drive only on second gear like on 30-40 mph. What can I do to get it fixed correctly.
MINGO

Louisville, KY

#42 Dec 16, 2011
I am having issues with my 2000 MCSS. It shifts into each gear around 4000 RPM, any idea what could be causing this?
THX

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Monte Carlo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2002 Chevy Monte Carlo SS - Service Traction Sytem (May '07) May 14 laniesdaddy 376
My L67 Swap Apr 23 99 MC owner 2
2003 Monte Carlo SS(silver) Apr '15 ebach21 1
Clicking sound at take off.. Apr '15 99 MC owner 4
monte carlo ss not starting (Aug '07) Apr '15 esco 81
2001 Monte Carlo LS catalytic converter problem (Nov '06) Apr '15 99 MC owner 48
2002 Monte Carlo ss Mar '15 Samir734 1
More from around the web