2001 Monte Carlo SS Traction System

2001 Monte Carlo SS Traction System

Shirley

AOL

#1 Aug 25, 2007
When backing up and putting the car into drive my front wheels make a grinding or whinning sound when straightening the wheels. The traction active light comes on and makes and awful noise until the wheels are completely straight and the car is moving. Anyone else having this problem or know what may be causing it?
Penny Hale

Mira Loma, CA

#2 Aug 28, 2007
My 2001 MC SS is doing exactly the same thing! I just had the left front wheel bearing replaced because we thought it may be that part & the noise was more prominent on the drivers side. Unfortunately, it was NOT the problem.
Now that it has been doing this for a couple of months it nows displays on the dash to service traction unit. The ABS light comes on & the Traction unit shuts itself off & that light comes on also. I had a garage look at it & when he drove it of course it never made the noise so he thinks I am probably crazy. But I'm sure you;ll agree this noise can make you crazy & it makes my steering stiff at the time it is acting up.
Ray

Washington, DC

#3 Aug 28, 2007
I have fought this problem for 2 years. I replaced the hub/sensors ($700 parts & labor)with no luck. I finally found the solution. Chevy issued a Technical Service Bulletin advising replacement of the harness which connects to the front wheel speed sensors. Here is a link:

http://www.carquest.com/common/downloads/part...

The new harness are about $45.00 per wheel and took me about 30 minutes each to replace.

After 2 years of screwing around with this my car now works like a charm!
Tuesday

Lead, SD

#4 Aug 29, 2007
Shirley wrote:
When backing up and putting the car into drive my front wheels make a grinding or whinning sound when straightening the wheels. The traction active light comes on and makes and awful noise until the wheels are completely straight and the car is moving. Anyone else having this problem or know what may be causing it?
.....wow. you just said exactly what my car recently started doing..*rolls eyes*
Jerry B

United States

#5 Mar 27, 2011
When I start the engine, the service traction system light, brake light, battery light, passenger seatbelt light, ABS light, and trac off light come on, and there is a chirp. This happens intermittenty, then goes away. Then the trac light stays on, and the trac off switch won't work. If I turn off the engine, the trac off sitch then will work when I start the engine again.
Pete

Metairie, LA

#6 Jun 24, 2011
Jerry B wrote:
When I start the engine, the service traction system light, brake light, battery light, passenger seatbelt light, ABS light, and trac off light come on, and there is a chirp. This happens intermittenty, then goes away. Then the trac light stays on, and the trac off switch won't work. If I turn off the engine, the trac off sitch then will work when I start the engine again.
I just had all those problems and more. I had 18 BCM (Body control module) codes come up. The unit was bad, so I had it replaced and reprogrammed, and now all those weird dummy lights and noises have stopped, and it runs great again. The cost here in New Orleans was just shy of $600, parts, labor and tax. My problems went even further, to the point of unlocking the trunk by itself, and setting off the inner chime security alarm when I got close enough with the remote (NOT pushing any buttons.....seriously), and finally draining the battery overnite. All solved by replacing the BCM.
Ronatx2001

Austin, TX

#7 Jun 24, 2011
Having problem with my 2001 monte carlo ss... first my abs light came on then trac turned off and service trac light came on.. after i turn off the car and turn back on all seems fine, but now there was a grinding noise from the front and my brake pedal seemed locked and made a noise for a sec and abs light came on and trac turned off and service trac message showed. Once abs is off it seems to work fine. Does anyone know what the cause is????
Ronatx2001@yahoo.com
Doug

Gilbert, AZ

#8 Jan 12, 2014
We have the exact problem front hubs have been replaced twice plus a body control module plus lower manifold gasket been replaced twice the car has not been abused sounds like a class action tome
Michelle

Merrick, NY

#9 Mar 13, 2014
Doug wrote:
We have the exact problem front hubs have been replaced twice plus a body control module plus lower manifold gasket been replaced twice the car has not been abused sounds like a class action tome
Have same problem with 2002 - how can we proceed with class action?
Ginny

Saint Joseph, MO

#10 Nov 25, 2015
same issue with my 2001 SS

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Monte Carlo* Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Radiator Fan relay Jan 19 Queen Bee 1
Harness wires were cut by alternator fan.... Jan 19 Queen Bee 1
1999 Monte Carlo Z34 (Jun '06) Dec '17 glasspilot 75
Need help finding 88 Luxary Sport chrome moldin... Dec '17 Billbman13 1
2006 Monte Carlo heater (Dec '07) Dec '17 Robo 21
Starter only some times works Dec '17 Vick 2
Monte Carlo won't start Dec '17 Linda marie 1
More from around the web