Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & S...

Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions

There are 2786 comments on the Edmunds.com story from Feb 20, 2006, titled Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions. In it, Edmunds.com reports that:

Created by KarenS in the Maintenance & Repair Message Board. Your Host is mr_shiftright What is this discussion about? Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet Malibu Maxx, Sedan, Electric, Engine # 2962 of 2971 Visor and ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Edmunds.com.

Denise

Uniontown, OH

#1396 Jul 29, 2008
I have a 1999 Malibu. I have only had it for 3 years.Every summer when it gets hot outside,my car just shuts off. it doesnt do it in the winter at all. any idea what could be the problem? I need help!!!
k75jim

Yucaipa, CA

#1397 Jul 29, 2008
greg wrote:
Ihave a 2006 malibu 32000 miles,the steering has a clunk noise as you turn the wheel.Also there is a pesky rattle noise that sounds as though it coming from the window.Has anyone noticed either of these issues.

To fix this refer your dealer to TSB 06-02-32-007-005. GM replaced the entire steering rack on my 06 Malibu. No more clunks when turning.
Wendy

Plain City, OH

#1398 Jul 30, 2008
I just found this website related to the brake problems on the 2003 Malibu

http://www.lemonlawclaims.com/chevrolet_malib...
pinkey

La Crosse, WI

#1399 Jul 30, 2008
Chas wrote:
I have a problem with the theft detection on my 2000 malibu. Does anyone know how to disable the system so it doesn't go off? It goes off at random and I have to wait for 10 min. to try to start the car. Thanks
I was told the only way to disable it was to install a remote car starter; that should bypass the system for you. I haven't done it but it's what I was told.
Hauling a trailer

Calgary, Canada

#1400 Aug 1, 2008
Denise wrote:
I have a 1999 Malibu. I have only had it for 3 years.Every summer when it gets hot outside,my car just shuts off. it doesnt do it in the winter at all. any idea what could be the problem? I need help!!!
overheating ignition coils---needs to be replaced
Sippigurl87

United States

#1401 Aug 2, 2008
I would like to know this answer also. We just bought a 2005 Malibu LS and had backed out on another on because it was so obvious. We found out this one has just started melting on the inside and the socket was so hot even though the bulb had blown. This definitely has to be an issue.
uncleputz wrote:
I have recently noticed that the Passenger front turn signal was burnt out. Upon pulling the bulb I found the yellow plastic casing around the bulb was melted, dripped on the bulb and it popped. I looked at the drivers side and the plastic is melting there to but hasn't dripped on the bulb. This has got to be a hazzard!!! Not to mention that you can't replace the yellow plastic housing. IF i'm wrong some one tell me!! I couldn't be more upset, I am, going to have to pay 150 each to replace the headlight assembly because of some crappy and UNSAFE design flaw.... Tell me I have a fight when I go to a dealer to have this looked at!!
jasper

Glenwood, IL

#1402 Aug 3, 2008
my 2005 chvey malibu the air condisher work but dont blow out i checked the reg fuse but they were good what esle can i do because i dont have alot of money right now to fix it
DMar

Valley Stream, NY

#1403 Aug 3, 2008
I have a 2006 malibu LS. At approx. 40 mph I get a rattling noise from inside of the headliner between the visors. Any help would be appreciated.

DMar
Hauling a trailer

Calgary, Canada

#1404 Aug 3, 2008
jasper wrote:
my 2005 chvey malibu the air condisher work but dont blow out i checked the reg fuse but they were good what esle can i do because i dont have alot of money right now to fix it
Check Mikes answer on page 66---June 16 2008. It may help you solve the problem.
Hauling a trailer

Calgary, Canada

#1405 Aug 3, 2008
DMar wrote:
I have a 2006 malibu LS. At approx. 40 mph I get a rattling noise from inside of the headliner between the visors. Any help would be appreciated.
DMar
Do you have a sun roof that may contribute to the noise----What sort of a rattle?---is it a vibration or just a metal rattling sound
DMar

Valley Stream, NY

#1406 Aug 3, 2008
No, I do not have a sunroof. It sounds like there is something loose in the headliner and somehow air is getting in there and making whatever it is vibrate. I have looked over the front top part of the windshield to see if there is anywhere air could get in, nothing there. I am stumped.
DMar
dave

Canada

#1407 Aug 3, 2008
when the theft light lights up i can never get the car to start again until a bit later. i got it checked out and a mechanic said it was the fuel pump however 500$ later the problem is still there. i heard that it might be the fuel pressure regulator or it could simply a matter of cutting the yellow wire and leaving the theft light on as this has worked for others. how do i know which to do ?
Hauling a trailer

Calgary, Canada

#1408 Aug 3, 2008
DMar wrote:
No, I do not have a sunroof. It sounds like there is something loose in the headliner and somehow air is getting in there and making whatever it is vibrate. I have looked over the front top part of the windshield to see if there is anywhere air could get in, nothing there. I am stumped.
DMar
Next time you hear the rattle try isolating it by pressing your hand around the head liner. Probably something simple to fix.
GUNJAL PRATAP P

India

#1409 Aug 5, 2008
Please anyone tell me that the pulsating sound comes even after engine stop,of any motorcycle
Hauling a trailer

Calgary, Canada

#1410 Aug 6, 2008
GUNJAL PRATAP P wrote:
Please anyone tell me that the pulsating sound comes even after engine stop,of any motorcycle
Where is the pulsating sound----is in your head or your rear end. "HARLEYS" usually give you this sensation.
Kris

Gloucester, MA

#1411 Aug 6, 2008
I am having a problem with the speedo it only works in 1st gear. It works fine in 2nd 3rd and 4th. Also the car shifts weird between 1st and 2nd. 3.5l malibu Maxx
Kris

Gloucester, MA

#1412 Aug 6, 2008
Sorry It does not work in 1st Gear.
Louis

Bowling Green, MO

#1413 Aug 7, 2008
I have a 2006 Malibu Maxx and my CD player stop working. I placed a cd in one day the entire radio just went out and came back on but now the CD players is not recognizing that there is a CD in it. Does anyone have a solution as to what this could be I got this car in March of Last year.
Matt

San Francisco, CA

#1414 Aug 7, 2008
don wrote:
When I fill the gas tank the gas pump will click off after a short time (30 sec.) and if you try it right away again it will click off like it is full. If you wait a while it will fill again for a short time(30 sec). I was told to check the vent tube. It will idle high and low going back and forth trying to stay running. In order to start it I have to hold down on the gas pedal. Any help is much appreciated. thanks
Don,

Did you find the solution to this? My Malibu does the same thing.

Thanks,

Matt
Kris

Gloucester, MA

#1415 Aug 7, 2008
Oh yeah I forgot about the power steering code on the radio.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Malibu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2002 Chevy Malibu Jul 27 Tazzy15 1
2002 Chevy Malibu (Apr '06) Jun '15 jstack6 142
Dead Battery in 2009 Malibu (Dec '09) Jun '15 Latisha 13
News GM's Exec. Chief Engineer For Electric Vehicles... May '15 Solarman 1
News Barra Says GM Can Earn Better Returns on Its Ow... May '15 John Jeffery 4
AC light on control panel blinks May '15 BSH 1
News Did the U.S. auto industry learn anything? (Dec '14) Apr '15 TheGeneralBitches 5
More from around the web