Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & S...

Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions

There are 2926 comments on the Edmunds.com story from Feb 20, 2006, titled Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions. In it, Edmunds.com reports that:

Created by KarenS in the Maintenance & Repair Message Board. Your Host is mr_shiftright What is this discussion about? Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet Malibu Maxx, Sedan, Electric, Engine # 2962 of 2971 Visor and ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Edmunds.com.

todd

Albion, NY

#664 Jun 13, 2007
CORI wrote:
<quoted text>
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM I HAVE A 2002 MALIBU AND THE MECHANIC TOLD ME IT WAS A FUEL PUMP I REPLACED IT 750.00 AND IT STILL DOES THIS....PLEASE HELP ME TOO..........IT COOLS OFF THEN IT STARTS AFTER ABOUT 3 OR 4 HRS..........BEEN TO 3 DIFFERENT MECHANICS THEY CANT FIGURE IT OUT AT ALL.....
mines been doing the same thing since 90000 its got 150000 now still dont know i keep looking please let me know if u find out might be the throttle position sensor thats my next guess
nikki

Tucker, GA

#665 Jun 14, 2007
where is the fuse box on a 1999 chevy malibu
smrtguy

Tallahassee, FL

#666 Jun 14, 2007
If you have problems with your AC (fan not working in 1-2, or recir keeps switching back) Call the customer care center. I just called and logged my complaint. Direct # for the guy I just talked to is 1-866-790-5600 ext. 10603. Maybe if we send enough complaints they will do something about it. It is requested that you give your name & phone #, but just make one up if you are uncomfortable doing that. Send in those complaints!!!
susan

Deepwater, MO

#667 Jun 16, 2007
I have a 2000 malibu and the temperature gauge keeps staying above 1/2 and the car is getting hot. We replaced the upper hose and the main thermostat but it keeps getting hot. I don't hear the fans running, can they be bad? If so is there a fuse that runs these, or are the fans actually bad? Can anyone help me?
Dub

Westphalia, KS

#668 Jun 16, 2007
To everyone who ever thought chevy was great, guess what they went to take a shit and never got of the pot on this model. 98 malibu, bought it two years ago with the abs and brake lights on. Wasn't worried about it until I took it to the dealership to find out what was wrong. Abs moter is shot, what they told me. $600 just for the part $300 to fix. Told them to go FUCK THEM SELVES. I only bought this damn car because my wife wanted a chevy. Not again Fords my next one.

Since: Jun 07

Minneapolis, MN

#669 Jun 16, 2007
CORI wrote:
I HAVE A 2002 MALIBU.THE PROBLEM IS AC/HEATER BLOWER ONLY OPERATESIN HIGH SPEED........1-4 DOESNT WORK,ONLY WORKS ON SPEED 5 CAN SOMEONE HELP ME OUT PLEASE.
This is due to a bad blower motor resistor. The part is located under the dash box. You will need to remove a plastic cover to get to it. Search for "Malibu Resistor Pack"

Minneapolis, MN

#670 Jun 16, 2007
Jay wrote:
does anyone else have trouble with their turn signal just randomly clicking non stop on their 2002 malibu?
If you hear clicking noise near the hazard switch when you are not making a turn, this is due to a bad multi-function switch (combination turn signal and windshield wiper switch) that sits on top of the steering column. A replacement costs about $US70 at a parts store. Takes about 10 minutes to change. Just need to split the steering column plastic clamshell cover (3 Torx screws underneath), remove the top cover, disconnect some electrical connections, and remove a single Torx screw holding the switch in.

Minneapolis, MN

#671 Jun 16, 2007
GMR wrote:
<quoted text>
OK I found out that it is a timer and built into the hazard warning switch ! I have cleaned the contacts in wiring connector & hope that fixes it; otherwise big bucks at dealership.( Or wreckers )
Malibu has a recall on the hazard switch for this problem for several model years. If the recall doesn't apply, check with a parts store for a replacement (It's about $US 30 from the dealer). Early versions had bad (cold) solder joints. If they are visible, you could try reheating them with a soldering iron.
missstx4206

United States

#672 Jun 17, 2007
how do u unlock the doors to a malibu 2006 when i locked my keys inside of the car?
loulouvee

AOL

#673 Jun 18, 2007
Paul wrote:
Blower motor problem. My blower motor will not wpork in the 1st 3 positions. It works fine after that. Can anyone help?
the blower motor resistor is bad.
anca

Mississauga, Canada

#674 Jun 18, 2007
Same problem at my malibu 04.
I have replaced everything at 65000km, and now after 25 000km I have to replace the rotor front again????
Michael wrote:
My 2004 Maxx has the turn signal issue on the left front. While getting that repaired, I found out the back disk brakes had 10% left on them, the fronts are hardly worn - estimated cost by the dealer $480. Current milage is 23,800 miles, no towing or heavy hauling. Is anybody else having brake issues? Any comments or solutions?
Dean

Concord, Canada

#675 Jun 18, 2007
coolant fan and a/c fan will not turn off, they both start up when the car starts its at the point that I can drive from Maple Ridge to Richmond (50km) and the heat gage will not move from cold!!!
Dick

United States

#676 Jun 18, 2007
Where is horn located on 05 Malibu
Travis

Blountstown, FL

#677 Jun 18, 2007
I have a 2005 Malibu and have noticed a reduction in power and a less responsive acceleration. I wanted to change the fuel filter during my last maintenance, but I cannot find it. Can anyone tell me where it is? I hope its not in the tank with the fuel pump! Thanks for any responses...
BIG D

Melvindale, MI

#678 Jun 18, 2007
CORI wrote:
I HAVE A 2002 MALIBU.THE PROBLEM IS AC/HEATER BLOWER ONLY OPERATESIN HIGH SPEED........1-4 DOESNT WORK,ONLY WORKS ON SPEED 5 CAN SOMEONE HELP ME OUT PLEASE.
My wife owns a 2000 Malibu since new and she has had that problem about 4 to 5 times. The dealer has replaced that switch panel each time. I think they have had alot of problems with them. It is all printed circuit behind the switches on that panel not much you can do but replace it. Hope this helps.
GMR

Phoenix, AZ

#679 Jun 20, 2007
Travis wrote:
I have a 2005 Malibu and have noticed a reduction in power and a less responsive acceleration. I wanted to change the fuel filter during my last maintenance, but I cannot find it. Can anyone tell me where it is? I hope its not in the tank with the fuel pump! Thanks for any responses...
The fuel pump is in the fuel line under the floor and just ahead of the fuel tank. The floor drops just ahead of the filter making it an SOB to get any turn on the flare wrenches. My friendly, none GM, Mechanic replaced mine with a filter having Quick Connects both ends to simplify things in future; don't hold your breath waiting for GM to take this obvious route to easier maintenance. I usually back the rear wheels up two service ramps and it's then easy to see the filter; just difficult to unfasten the original coupling.
GMR

Phoenix, AZ

#680 Jun 20, 2007
Dean wrote:
coolant fan and a/c fan will not turn off, they both start up when the car starts its at the point that I can drive from Maple Ridge to Richmond (50km) and the heat gage will not move from cold!!!
Check the fan relay is not stuck `on'( welded contacts / stuck solenoid ) ; if this is OK then check the Radiator Thermostat. Should be open circuit with cold engine.
Ron in Texas

United States

#681 Jun 20, 2007
Actually Ford's are worse. Check out the Quality reviews on Ford's, there are on the middle to bottom.

My 2005 Malibu has been in the shop 4 times for Alternator, Power steering Shaft, rattle, and rattle. Works like a champ a drive better than Nissan or Honda and way better than Ford. Each time I was given a new car loaner, so I have not been stranded yet and each repair fixed the car right.
Dub wrote:
To everyone who ever thought chevy was great, guess what they went to take a shit and never got of the pot on this model. 98 malibu, bought it two years ago with the abs and brake lights on. Wasn't worried about it until I took it to the dealership to find out what was wrong. Abs moter is shot, what they told me.$600 just for the part $300 to fix. Told them to go FUCK THEM SELVES. I only bought this damn car because my wife wanted a chevy. Not again Fords my next one.
teg30

Oklahoma City, OK

#682 Jun 22, 2007
BRP wrote:
does anybody have a solution to the 1999 chevy malibu theft system. as long as that light is on my car will not crank for about 10-15 minutes. HELP
had the same problem with a 98 model it was caused by a copy of the original key as long as i used the original key it worked fine if i tried the copy it wouldn't work use the original to get another key made but not at walmart, go someplace like the dealship or a parts store good luck!!!
bill

Calgary, Canada

#683 Jun 22, 2007
susan wrote:
I have a 2000 malibu and the temperature gauge keeps staying above 1/2 and the car is getting hot. We replaced the upper hose and the main thermostat but it keeps getting hot. I don't hear the fans running, can they be bad? If so is there a fuse that runs these, or are the fans actually bad? Can anyone help me?
The fans are probably ok but you can check them by jumping a wire from the positive terminal on the battery to the fan connection. Ground the other wire to the frame. Check for a loose elect connection at the fans. Check fuses in the dash (fuses are on both sides of the dash by the doors) The main fuses and circuit breakers are under the hood butI'm sure they are ok as they control all current from the battery. If all this doesn't help then check the temp sensor on the engine. It is located beside the thermostat on the upper coolant hose--it is probably defective and isn't sending a signal for the fans to start.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Malibu Maxx* Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
03 Malibu Apr '17 Red Barn Auto 1
Power failure on 04 Malibu Maxx Mar '17 Ty Love 1
How to install an after market radio?! (Nov '16) Feb '17 Anonymous 2
remote starter (Aug '06) Jan '17 Diane Smith 66
Chevy Malibu 2004 4 cylinder classic (Jul '15) Dec '16 Matt 2
2004 Malibu Maxx Windshield Wiper Unsolved Prob... (Oct '16) Oct '16 maxxed_2theMAXX 1
gas leak on top of gas tank (Aug '09) Jul '16 Wooldridge 7
More from around the web