2004 chevy impala cruise control prob...

2004 chevy impala cruise control problems

Posted in the Chevrolet Impala Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
samantha

Knoxville, TN

#1 Nov 11, 2009
how to fix?
Technician R

Mansfield, OH

#2 Nov 11, 2009
samantha wrote:
how to fix?
What is it not doing? I have heard this complaint before only to find out that the cruise on/off switch was turned off! Check your on/off switch it is on the turn signal lever. Sometimes owners knock the switch to the off position without even knowing it! If thats not the case let me know what symptoms you are having. With as high tech as the car is in the 2004 model year the cruise system is still pretty basic and easy to fix. There have been very few problems with the cruise control system on these cars. One thing to check is to make sure your brake lights are working.
Rick

Keene, NH

#3 Jan 20, 2010
would be curious to know how to fix my cruise control. Everything turns on. shows the little light to say the cruise is actually set. the only problem is that it won't maintain the speed. it is an 03 impala.
Brenda

Bode, IA

#4 Apr 26, 2010
Rick wrote:
would be curious to know how to fix my cruise control. Everything turns on. shows the little light to say the cruise is actually set. the only problem is that it won't maintain the speed. it is an 03 impala.
I had this issue today in my 2001 Impala LS! Twice on my 15 miles drive home, I had to turn the cruise back on after it randomly shut itself off! What is going on?
Clive

Youngstown, OH

#5 Dec 30, 2010
I have a Chevvy Impala LS (2004) and the cruise control is exhibiting similar symptoms to what these other people have been saying. This is basically what it does.

1. Yes - cruise control is "on" as per the setting on the signal lever. In fact its always on since most of my driving is on Interstate.

2. Set speed works, say 65mph or 55mph or whatever.

3. When on level gradient, speed maintains. No issues found here.

4. When going downhill if the gradient is sufficient, cruise control lets off the gas and reduces revs etc as it should and speed is maintained unless its excessive gradient in which case brake which is as per usual. No issues with downhill gradient.

5. Now this is the problem when it occurs. On an uphill gradient, speed should be maintained and generally if speed drops down by a couple of mph under set speed, there should be a boost of gas plus auto gear shift down if necessary. However when the problem occurs, I don't feel any acceleration to adjust for uphill gradient, the speed just drops off and I have to manually press gas pedal to get back to set speed, there is no attempt at auto shift down likewise. I also find that the manual override on the steering column to accelerate fails too. You normally either hold down accelerate to get the boost acceleration, or you can tap the button once for each extra mph you want to speed up by - when the problem exists, that procedure fails.

The problem is becoming more and more common place to the extent that it is happening more or less every trip I make.

Does this more extensive explanation of symptoms ring true with anyone else's experience?

Kind regards

Clive Sims
Mark

South Jordan, UT

#6 Feb 1, 2011
I have the opposite problem than Clive. During cold weather, I would set my cruise and on flat terrain it's fine. However if I start going up a hill, it would increase my speed and keep excelerating and keep excelerating until I'm on a flat surface again but if not, it would keep increasing my speed. Sometimes it would get up to 100mph before shutting off. I try turning off the cruise, that doesn't shut it off, I step on the brakes, but the engine is racing at top speed!!!! Try holding onto that one! I just don't use my cruise during the winter anymore.
Clive wrote:
I have a Chevvy Impala LS (2004) and the cruise control is exhibiting similar symptoms to what these other people have been saying. This is basically what it does.
1. Yes - cruise control is "on" as per the setting on the signal lever. In fact its always on since most of my driving is on Interstate.
2. Set speed works, say 65mph or 55mph or whatever.
3. When on level gradient, speed maintains. No issues found here.
4. When going downhill if the gradient is sufficient, cruise control lets off the gas and reduces revs etc as it should and speed is maintained unless its excessive gradient in which case brake which is as per usual. No issues with downhill gradient.
5. Now this is the problem when it occurs. On an uphill gradient, speed should be maintained and generally if speed drops down by a couple of mph under set speed, there should be a boost of gas plus auto gear shift down if necessary. However when the problem occurs, I don't feel any acceleration to adjust for uphill gradient, the speed just drops off and I have to manually press gas pedal to get back to set speed, there is no attempt at auto shift down likewise. I also find that the manual override on the steering column to accelerate fails too. You normally either hold down accelerate to get the boost acceleration, or you can tap the button once for each extra mph you want to speed up by - when the problem exists, that procedure fails.
The problem is becoming more and more common place to the extent that it is happening more or less every trip I make.
Does this more extensive explanation of symptoms ring true with anyone else's experience?
Kind regards
Clive Sims
JuneG

Southgate, MI

#7 Feb 28, 2012
I have a 2004 Cheverolet Impala. Here is my problem. I turn on the cruise control on. I can set it at any speed but it does not hold the speed. The cruise control lamp is on but it does not hold the speed. I checked fuses and wires but found nothing. Help!!
Richard

United States

#8 Mar 9, 2012
I have an 09international impala that just runs away when the cruise is on. I turned my left blinker on and all my lights shut off and I had to open the drivers door to get the lights to come back on.
little joe

Owensboro, KY

#9 Mar 25, 2012
my 04 impala ss cruise was working fine for a year and half after i got the car, then one day traveling at 70 it just wouldn't hold its speed. checked fuses listed in manual. checked linkage under hood. nthing appears wrong. so what the blue h___ is wrong with my car?
also my air does not get ice cold as it used to do. mechanics say it doesn't need more of the new freon that isn't worth paying for. so what is wrong with the air?(other than going back to the original freon that actually kept things cool,(Really Cold) before the tree huggers that believe washington dc and the scientist making false claims to keep government funds coming in)
I HOPE SOMEONE WILL REALLY ANSWER THIS WITH A REAL FIX
little joe

Owensboro, KY

#10 Mar 25, 2012
another question. no one has a real answer, only a theory. with anti-lock brakes the pressure is conrolled by computer to adjust pressure to each wheel equally so neithe lock up. if one wheel is signalling too much pressure, the system cuts off fluid pressure for a second or too to give the other wheels a chance to catch up with equal pressure.
keeping that in mind, lets say that the computer reads all 4 wheels locking up and realeases pressure and doesn't restore it to any barkae at all. WHAT HAPPENS?
i've been told that the brakes will work as they used to on older cars before this new system. can we be sure it will? has it ever been tested by the car builders?
you know how computers always break down. they are not fool proof. they are made by man. i don't trust tehm that much,but have no choice since older vehicles are getting harder to find.
little joe

Owensboro, KY

#11 Mar 25, 2012
if all of these newer vehicles are so SAFE, why do theyhave to have seatbelt/shoulderbelts & airbags in them????
Rich

Cottonwood, AZ

#12 May 14, 2012
I realize this problem was written 1 and 1/2 years ago so I hope my answer will help someone out there. My 2000 Impala's cruise control would engage at about 5 mph lower than what I set it at. Then, when going uphill, it couldn't keep up and would eventually just disengage. The problem was with the throttle cable leading to the cruise control module. I wasn't seated inside the brace so there was too much play in it. No tools necessary to fix it. I just sat back where it belonged and Voila!
Linda

Battle Creek, MI

#13 Apr 21, 2013
We have a 2004 Impala SS and the cruise control indicator light flashes on and off even when in the off position. Sometimes the cruise works, sometimes not. What could be wrong?
russ

Humboldt, TN

#14 Jan 16, 2014
when i turn my cruise on. the green light flashes on then cuts right back off it use to stay on to let me know the cruise was enabled
Chris

Bloomington, IL

#15 Jan 27, 2014
My 04 Impala LS cruise control will activate by itself. The cruise switch is in the on position but we do not set the cruise and it will engage without us touching anything. Does anyone have an idea on this one?
Brian

Ridgecrest, CA

#16 May 16, 2014
Mine was broke, dash light saying cruise would light and go off with the tap of the brakes, I tinkered with the gizmos and twisted the cable to take apart the cable from the module and it was all connected but the nylon ribbon was stretched and frayed. I took it to my mechanic as I am the lazy type with more money than ambition, he said it was way involved and he would have to poke and prod gremlins in electronics for days on end. I went on and dismantled the Module and went on eBay and found one for 150 bucks and switched the box out and all is back to working fine! Risking the 150 bucks was what I thought I would end up eating and still have to get a Master Mechanic to sort it out, I conquered all by myself just by trying the old remove and replace of a defective module part. I should have looked in Pick apart, there is one very close... but eBay dropped it at my door i stuck it in and I am cruising in my 2004 impala again!
William

Kenly, NC

#17 Feb 24, 2015
Technician R wrote:
<quoted text>What is it not doing? I have heard this complaint before only to find out that the cruise on/off switch was turned off! Check your on/off switch it is on the turn signal lever. Sometimes owners knock the switch to the off position without even knowing it! If thats not the case let me know what symptoms you are having. With as high tech as the car is in the 2004 model year the cruise system is still pretty basic and easy to fix. There have been very few problems with the cruise control system on these cars. One thing to check is to make sure your brake lights are working.
Cruise control work great . Light in dash does not show it on
Dave

United States

#18 May 16, 2015
Lots of questions here but no answers we have the same problem with our 2004 . Was hoping to find some real advice. If your going to have a help site you need to provide the help not just list all the problems
Luedecarlas

United States

#19 Jan 24, 2016
I have a 2013 impala. Driving on theach interstate going 75 on cruise control. Hit Qatar barrier and cruise control did not deacttivate. Car kept accelerating at 75 mph. Anyone else have a problem like this?
laserles

Clearwater, FL

#20 Apr 4, 2016
2004 chevy impala throttle locked open-full when the air-filter ring-clamp-adjuster is set @ the 7 - 10 o'clock position. In other words...you step on the gas pedal and it locks-up causing the impala tobe an impaler...! Major design error resulting in death & damage to vehicle occupants & everybody in the proximity to the vehicle.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Impala Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2003 Cheverolet impala overheating....could be ... (Jul '09) 14 hr Peter Battle 113
2002 Impala turn signal went funky now dont work (Mar '07) Fri guest 172
chevrolet impala abs/traction control lamp on p... (Apr '08) Apr 19 Tanisha1 232
2002 Impala turn signal trouble (Jun '06) Apr 18 Sammy 69
2007 Impala pcv valve? (Jul '11) Apr 15 Susan 6
restart problems Apr 14 ds3rq 1
2012 impala wont re-start on downward hill till... Apr 14 ds3rq 1