2004 3.8 Impala overheating
aevans

Byron, GA

#1 Nov 16, 2011
We have replaced waterpump in past replaced thermostat, flushed system several times. Always used DEXCOOL. When we flush the system it is always full of mud. Temperaature guage show overheating; resevour full. Blead system at thermostat housing nothing but air. Please help!!
impala owner

United States

#2 Jan 6, 2012
had same problem, replaced thermostat and flushed with hose for a while and replaced hose from resevoir to radiator cause it was also plugged, havent had any heating issues since. used the green anti freeze and got rid of dexcool.
shawn

United States

#3 Feb 12, 2012
Mine was a bad manifold gasket and upper intake
Kevin

Lindale, TX

#4 Mar 5, 2012
Ive been having this problem,but the engine is not overheating but seems to be running at a high temp. Replaced water pump and flushed radiator. Now im stuck on how to keep the temp down
russell

El Paso, TX

#5 Mar 31, 2013
i have kinda the same problem I have changed all the same stuff an my impala still heats up past half way if im not movin idk but when im movin its good wtf??
Rick

El Cerrito, CA

#6 Apr 2, 2013
I was told my valve cover gaskets, and intake was leaking on my 2003 Impala by the dealer. They wanted $1,261.00 to fix this. I said, "No". After the visit to the dealer, the temperature gauge started to climb up to 215 degrees. The temperature I always had was 195 degrees. I took my car to my friends repair shop for a second opinion. My friend is also a former GM certified mechanic who was trained in General Motors training school in Minnesota. He was laid off when GM restructured during it's bankruptcy and the dealer he worked for was shut down. He said my valve cover gaskets were not leaking, and the intake plenum gasket was leaking. He also said the intake was not leaking. I had the problem fixed for $450.00. The temperature gauge is back to normal in the 195 range, and does not go to 215 anymore. The 3.8 engine has a intake plenum gasket that is prone to leaking. The intake plenum itself is also made out of plastic, and has coolant that runs through it.
Maxx

Chicago, IL

#7 Dec 29, 2013
Same issue except mine is find idle, after running for 10 min at most car begins to overheat and overflows with a dirty brown coolant after putting in green coolent. Changed thermostat. Took to dealer and asked about changing the head gasket and they wanted a couple grand so wrenching on my own now. Thinking now it may be an intake plenum problem now.
steve

International Falls, MN

#8 Jan 1, 2014
replaced the thermostat/ bled air from the system and it still overheats and the vehicle shuts down, All of the hoses are hot and I believe the water pump is working. Could a bad temperature sensor cause the vehicle to shut down? Any ides. Thanks.
antonia_14

Tampa, FL

#9 Feb 8, 2014
shawn wrote:
Mine was a bad manifold gasket and upper intake
after all that did your impala run great after ?
Steven Fox

Tulare, CA

#10 Jun 9, 2014
You know what guy's. It's been a few years since. The person that said Intake Manifold gasket was right!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Impala Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Passlock Security system... (Jan '07) Sun Joshua 469
2006 Chevy Impala - replacement key made, now c... (Dec '14) Aug 28 jstrong196 2
No chime, no radio volume but radio does work I... (Sep '08) Aug 26 Melinda Riggleman 116
2002 Impala LS leaks rain water (Oct '06) Aug 26 Melinda Riggleman 99
Speedometer not working (Mar '07) Aug 25 armytanker88 87
2000 Impala Hot at idle or stopped - cools when... (Oct '09) Aug 24 melanie 21
2002 Impala Problems (May '07) Aug 23 AJCM1227 436
More from around the web