2008 Impala steering locking up-has a...
Dennis

Andalusia, AL

#21 Apr 7, 2010
Got a 2008 Impala with the 3.9 liter engine. My wife complained a couple time about the steering locking up, and a light squeal when cranking, but I never could get it to do it while I was driving. On a trip out of town it locked up and smoked the serpentine belt. I had it towed in and they said said it was the harmonic balancer. They replaced it, along with a new belt now all is fine. The only thing is, I never received any notification of a service bulliten for this. A very serious and dangerous problem.
INSGEEK

Jersey City, NJ

#22 Apr 7, 2010
Dennis wrote:
Got a 2008 Impala with the 3.9 liter engine. My wife complained a couple time about the steering locking up, and a light squeal when cranking, but I never could get it to do it while I was driving. On a trip out of town it locked up and smoked the serpentine belt. I had it towed in and they said said it was the harmonic balancer. They replaced it, along with a new belt now all is fine. The only thing is, I never received any notification of a service bulliten for this. A very serious and dangerous problem.
Hi Dennis, The same thing happened to my 08 Impala. I am in the process of fighting with Chevy to pay the bills. They will not openly aknowledge the problem on the Impala at this time. The car works fine now.
incgeek

Jersey City, NJ

#23 Apr 7, 2010
I just got off the phone with Chevy customer service. Even though the dealer refused to work on my car for the steering problem and I was forced to use my repair shop to fix the steering before I was in a serious accident. Now they refuse to reimburse me for repair because it was an independent shop. Their dealer wouldn't work on it and now it's my problem. They just lost a long time customer for life. They still won't aknowledge that the steerin loss is a serious problem. They must be crazy to think this will just go away.
Roc

Danville, VA

#24 Apr 22, 2010
I've been having issues with mine as well.. The steering would get tight as if there was no power steering fluid in it for some reason. I have an 08 Impala and I've had just about every problem there is to have on the car. I can relate to every posted problem about the Impalas. Steering, coolant system, brakes, transmission, my 93 Camry does better than this!!!!!!!!!!
Roc

Danville, VA

#25 Apr 22, 2010
Buying an Impala is the biggest regret yet. I wish I woulda bought a Mustang. I wouldnt dare buy another chevy after THIS trashy excuse of an automobile!!!!!!!!
Roc

Danville, VA

#26 Apr 22, 2010
The dealership here doesnt even want to fix the car and keeps saying that nothing is wrong with it. The first thing they always say is.. how many miles (38,000) OH ur out of warranty anyway, and I have to cut them off and let them know that I have extended warranty. They should know my voice like the back of their hand and my name as well as many times as i've had to take that ragedy car up there for warranty. They shouldnt even have to look my info up in the system. They're SO sorry... They have their money for the car so now they just brush me off..but not for long!!!!
Brad

Weslaco, TX

#27 Oct 12, 2010
I have a 2008 impala SS and it will not let the key come out of the ignition. Has this ever happened to anyone? It's like the car isn't registering that the car is in park and won't allow the key to be released. To make matters worse it doesn't cut the power from the car so the battery is draining as we speak
JOHN

Lansdale, PA

#28 Jan 2, 2012
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Your steering problem could be caused by a mis-machined (creating slipage relative to engine speed) harmonic balancer which can sometimes cause intermittent loss of power steering. The dealership found this on my 2008 Impala just recently and replaced the balancer which resolved the problem. There is a service bulletin which addresses this problem. A clue to the problem may be a belt squeal when starting the engine or when jerking the steering wheel back and forth. My problem appeared to be more pronounced in wet road conditions.
Joe was right on . I took it in to the repair shop for inspection and ask them to check for the chirp noise at start up and the no steering when going though puddles or wet. They marked the harmonic
balancer and it shifted on one crank of the engine. I then took it to the dealer and had to convince them it was the balancer and not just the serp. belt.
JOHN

Lansdale, PA

#29 Jan 2, 2012
Forgot to mention I had a 2007 Impala 3.5L. The also Replaced the timing cover seal because it starting to leak oil.
Richard

Spokane, WA

#30 Mar 30, 2012
My 2008 Impala becomes very difficult to steer during wet weather for about 10- 20 seconds and the battery and check engine light comes also. I read on your site that it was corrected by replacing the harmonic balancer. While removing the harmonic balancer off of my car I noticed that the outer part of the balancer moved. The problem with the Impala balancers is that they are constructed in two sections, an inner section and an outer section separated by a section of hard of rubber. The outer section slips and spins slower than the inner section when it gets wet thus creating the loss of power to the steering pump, alternator and anything else powered by the drive belt. I bought a new balancer for $90, installed it myself, no more loss of steering or power. It was not to difficult of a job with the right tools and a Haynes manual, I'm a do-it-yourselfer with years experience.
martha

North Charleston, SC

#31 Apr 12, 2012
Impala steerin problems wrote:
Has anyone had a problem with there steering wheel locking up? My problem started back in April of this year(bought car brand new in Feb). It started out in the mornings as I was driving out of my drive way just locking up really quick then it would loosen back up. Well it took a few weeks for me to realize it was actually happening, it was so quick it didn't even register it was a problem. Then it started more frequentley, and it would start just completly locking up, no movement for 10-20 seconds with me yanking on it. So I took it to my dealer, and they changed a gear in the steering wheel, well I got it home, it done again 2 days later, so I took it back they changed the belt, then they told me when it rains and that belt gets wet, like going through a mud puddle then that would cause the steering wheel to lock up, and that was normal, also they said the traction system in the car would cause the steering to lock up on a wet highway and that was normal. I don't know what to believe, since I have never had this happen to me before, does anyone have any advice or knowledge or this?
My 2008 Impala has the exact problem. It has 100k miles on it. I have taken it in 3 times and the dealer claims no one else has ever experienced it. They replaced the belt, adjusted the tension, and then said that was all they could/would do unless they personally drove the car and experienced the problem. This is a safety hazard and I cannot believe that no one at the dealer can do a simple internet search to realize this is a real issue.
Kandi 305

Kingsland, GA

#32 Sep 10, 2012
I have the EXACT model and is having thee EXACT problem, ive change the belt and they even created a shield to cover the belt and im still having this issue. I need help as well because its dangerous.
impala steering problems

Baxley, GA

#33 Sep 18, 2012
Well I still have my Impala and they put a harmonic balancer on my car in 09 and now its 2012 and I am having the same problem again, I called the dealer that put the harmonic balancer on and they told me they would charge me $300 to replace this part. I am so disgusted!!!
Jon

United States

#34 Mar 31, 2014
BRIAN wrote:
MY 2001 Impala ls check engine lihgt came on and it read in the scanner maf or vaf which stands for mass air flow got new one and the light still on i had it reset but came back on after i drve it then park starde it again light came back on please some help
Try to start it, not starde it. Will make a world of difference.
Tim

Saint Paul, MN

#35 Jun 23, 2014
My 08 Impala just went in for the same reason... Lost power steering..... Tore up Balancer,,, Car filled with smoke. Does someone have to DIE before GM comes to the plate???
Have been noticing lose of steering in wet weather, mechanic wasn't able to find anything the first time I reported it.
Tom M

Providence, RI

#36 Nov 13, 2015
JOHN wrote:
<quoted text>
Joe was right on . I took it in to the repair shop for inspection and ask them to check for the chirp noise at start up and the no steering when going though puddles or wet. They marked the harmonic
balancer and it shifted on one crank of the engine. I then took it to the dealer and had to convince them it was the balancer and not just the serp. belt.
Had the same problem with my 2008 Impala 3.5. Tried to simulate the problem by spraying water on the balancer while running. When I did I noticed the outer part of the balancer turned at a slower speed which caused the belt to slow down and lose the steering for about 10 seconds. Replaced the harmonic balancer, which solved the problem.
Jacob

Columbus, OH

#37 Nov 30, 2015
Has anyone had a problem with there steering wheel locking up? My problem started back in April of this year(bought car brand new in Feb). It started out in the mornings as I was driving out of my drive way just locking up really quick then it would loosen back up. Well it took a few weeks for me to realize it was actually happening, it was so quick it didn't even register it was a problem. Then it started more frequentley, and it would start just completly locking up, no movement for 10-20 seconds with me yanking on it. So I took it to my dealer, and they changed a gear in the steering wheel, well I got it home, it done again 2 days later, so I took it back they changed the belt, then they told me when it rains and that belt gets wet, like going through a mud puddle then that would cause the steering wheel to lock up, and that was normal, also they said the traction system in the car would cause the steering to lock up on a wet highway and that was normal. I don't know what to believe, since I have never had this happen to me before, does anyone have any advice or knowledge or this?
What have you done about this ? I have a 2014 and this has started about 4 months ago or so. They have been kinda telling me the same thing.
Dan

Calgary, Canada

#38 Oct 17, 2016
Jim wrote:
Joe is right on the money with that one. I just came back from the dealer who replaced the harmonic balancer. They performed a test by pouring water on the belt as it was running and the charging system malfunction warning came on. I at first thought it was electrical in nature because the belt seemed fine. It did squeal when it occured and this indicated that the belt was slipping. So when the serpentine belt stops functioning, everything attached, PS/PB/Alternator/AC etc... acts just as if there isn't any belt there at all. So, with the harmonic balancer replaced, it is now fixed. I had no idea what to think until I brought it in 8 months after it first started. No hurry, but it is very dangerous when it happens. So I avoided puddles when and whre I could and anticipated losing everything for a few seconds every time I drove it.
My mother's car is doing the exact same thing. Took it to gm garage and mechanics said they could make the belt slip with just a bit of water sprayed on it. Said he was going to replace belt and tensioner as s a fix. I looked at the belt and it does not look to be in poor condition. He said there was a bulletin that said the Pulley would slip on the dampener. Not sure if that makes sense. Can you visually see that the Pulley is worn?
Jonv91

Houston, TX

#39 May 4, 2017
It's normal dude happens to me as well on rainy days wet road I think it's pretty safe keeps person from trying brake turn and cause to flip or something and it's more controlled when it's going stiff straight doesn't won't allow you turn you know
Darlene

Worcester, MA

#40 Jun 20, 2017
FredB wrote:
My 2006 had a problem with the intermediate steering shaft. Could his be sticking or binding? Sure worth a look.
My 2006 steering acts like I have no power steering when at a very low speed only. Once I accelerate it comes back.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Impala Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Impala not starting (Nov '06) 5 hr Brokeass 209
2006 impala electrical problems?? (Oct '10) 6 hr Darlene 12
What size radio is in my car? (May '08) 10 hr OMW2FYB 9
Passlock Security system... (Jan '07) Aug 21 Jeff 530
2012 Impala LTZ (Mar '12) Aug 11 Furman 17
impala dash lights stopped working (Nov '09) Aug 5 bubyva 140
2011 chevy impala rear seat head rest (Mar '11) Aug 3 meanjean 68
More from around the web