fan speed 1 and 2 not working but 3 &...

fan speed 1 and 2 not working but 3 & 4 speed working fine

Posted in the Chevrolet Impala Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Lucy Nahls

Guelph, Canada

#1 Aug 9, 2007
When I turn the heat or air condition on the fan doesn't blow out any air unless I turn up the dial to 3 or 4. Would it be a fuse that controls only the first two speeds?
Lucy

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Vinnie

AOL

#2 Aug 15, 2007
I am having the same problem if any one can help that would be great.
Vinnie
danose

Montréal, Canada

#3 Aug 20, 2007
I'm no expert, but there are 2 relays/fuses boxes under the hood in my impala 2003 (canadian model), on the right hand side of the car near the prestone tank. I don't remember all the details but i'm sure that I hav' seen every thing clearly explained in the user's manual. I remember reading that there are a relay and a fuse associated with fans speed 1 & 2, and another set for speed 3 & 4. Take a look in your user manual.
Kevin

Scottsdale, AZ

#4 Aug 26, 2007
Probably the module mounted behind the blower fan on the passenger side under the glove box.
Mine had burned out wires on the module caused by a failing blower fan motor.
You may find people referring to ur problem as an open circuit resistor when searching.
Changing the module is a total pain unless u have four foot long arms and lots of patience.I got mine out to look at it and confirm the cause. I'm bypassing the module and just directly powering the new fan motor to get thru the Phoenix Az heat b4 working up enthusiasm to replace the module.
Its worth paying someone to replace the module!
Good Luck
Jim

Columbia, SC

#5 Sep 2, 2007
It is the fan blower resister, I replaced mine in a 2000. It was on the pass side behind the blower motor (under dash). To get to it drop the blower motor (If you do not you will need the long arms and fingers). You'll know the resister because the wires from the blower are attached. My blower speed 2 went out and you can see on the resister where it was burned. I heard it was a pain too but when I took the blower out I hand no problem. Cost for the part was under $50. Also make sure you get the right one.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Jamie

Baton Rouge, LA

#6 Sep 17, 2007
Is this part only available through a dealership?
Jim wrote:
It is the fan blower resister, I replaced mine in a 2000. It was on the pass side behind the blower motor (under dash). To get to it drop the blower motor (If you do not you will need the long arms and fingers). You'll know the resister because the wires from the blower are attached. My blower speed 2 went out and you can see on the resister where it was burned. I heard it was a pain too but when I took the blower out I hand no problem. Cost for the part was under $50. Also make sure you get the right one.
Alan

Enfield, CT

#7 Sep 18, 2007
Lucy Nahls wrote:
When I turn the heat or air condition on the fan doesn't blow out any air unless I turn up the dial to 3 or 4. Would it be a fuse that controls only the first two speeds?
Lucy
I am having the same issue have you been able to resolve it?
Alan

Enfield, CT

#8 Sep 18, 2007
I am having the same issue were you able to resolve it?
jdav7

Decatur, IL

#9 Sep 24, 2007
Had a similar problem on my 2000 Impala. The lower fan speeds would not work for several minutes after starting the car. The display over the rearview mirror would also be off during this time. I found that the AC/Cruise fuse on the left side of the dash was not getting +12v to it from the ignition switch.

I had to remove the dash panel and ignition switch. I then snapped the back cover off the ignition switch and found a couple of contacts that were carboned up. I cleaned them off with some 800 grit sand paper and reassembled the switch. It works perfect now.
Lawrence OH

Broadview Heights, OH

#10 Sep 25, 2007
I replaced the blower resister as indicated above and the low fan speed problem at 1 and 2 speeds was solved. Yes it is necessary to remove the blower motor first in order to acess the resitor part. Water had gotten down through the cowl past the short weather strip that protects the comparment filter and damaged the comparment filter, blower motor and then the resistor circuit board. Also GM has changed the design of the resistor from a printed circut design to ceramic design with regular old fasioned reistors. When you remove the old resistor part you only have to remove the front screws and then only loosen the two rear screws because they are held in by slots not holes and are very difficut to reach without a swival socket. GM's customer care relied on my GM service managers claim that the water leak past the weather strip at the cowl was normal wear and tear at around 65,000 miles. No wonder US manufacturers are having so many problems with customer loyalty. They apparently were aware that both the reisitor design and the cowl leaking problem exists on 2000 through 2005 Impalas and will not cover it under warrenty. The cost of the reistor is around $30.00, blower motor $150.00 and weather strip $6.00 at trade pricing.
Chevy Tech

Lakeland, FL

#11 Sep 27, 2007
Well I guess 36,000 miles and 3 years of free service aren't enough to pacify people these days. Kevin of Pheonix AZ. Directly Wiring your Blower Motor to that circuit is a very good way to burn up your 200 Dollar AC control head, not to mention the possibility of burning up your car. Just thought I would let you know before doing it. This proble is not every common in the Impala, but its quite common in the Chevy pickups and generally it comes from always running the blower on High. The connector to the resistor gets burnt causing intermittent or complete loss of ground to the blower resistor circuit. If you replace the resistor, inspect the harnass connectors as well, if they are burnt you will need to replace them as well. The Blower Fan itself should not need replacing. Very rarely do the Fans go bad (noisey) but thats about it. By all means have your car checked by a CERTIFIED GM Tech. Its more expensive initially, but it will save you money in the long run.
JRR

Columbia, SC

#12 Oct 2, 2007
Lucy Nahls wrote:
Lucy
It is your fan resister, it is located behind you fan under pass dash. You will have to drop the fan to remove it. Coat ~$35 for the resister and 30 min of work. Mine was on a 2000.
JRR

Columbia, SC

#13 Oct 2, 2007
Jamie wrote:
Is this part only available through a dealership?
<quoted text>
NO you can get it at, or ordered from autoparts store.
George

Greenville, KY

#14 Oct 8, 2007
I have a 1995 chevy truck. My high speed went out on the fan. What should I replace on it? Some say it's the relay for the fan.Where is it located at.
Joekn

Roslindale, MA

#15 Oct 17, 2007
Chevy Tech wrote:
Well I guess 36,000 miles and 3 years of free service aren't enough to pacify people these days. Kevin of Pheonix AZ. Directly Wiring your Blower Motor to that circuit is a very good way to burn up your 200 Dollar AC control head, not to mention the possibility of burning up your car. Just thought I would let you know before doing it. This proble is not every common in the Impala, but its quite common in the Chevy pickups and generally it comes from always running the blower on High. The connector to the resistor gets burnt causing intermittent or complete loss of ground to the blower resistor circuit. If you replace the resistor, inspect the harnass connectors as well, if they are burnt you will need to replace them as well. The Blower Fan itself should not need replacing. Very rarely do the Fans go bad (noisey) but thats about it. By all means have your car checked by a CERTIFIED GM Tech. Its more expensive initially, but it will save you money in the long run.
I've got a 97 ck1500 and have had the same problem. I started by replacing the resistor, then the relay and the blower assembly. And it's still not working right. I did check the plug going to the resistor and it's not showing any burnt wires or signs of damage.
Tim Pagel

United States

#16 Oct 20, 2007
I don't have power on 1 or 2 either on my 2003. I have always bought Chevy products but must admit, with the problems I have had with my 1997 blazer, 2003 Trailblazer LTZ, and 2003 Impala, it may be time to look at Toyota. It is not that I have had major trouble (outside of the 1997 blazer which may have been the worst built vehicle in american history) but all of this nickly and dime crap. It gets very old and takes a lot of my time and money attempting to keep up with the repairs.
Christy g

Reno, NV

#17 Oct 28, 2007
I have a 2002 Ford Focus and for some reason I can not figure out what is wrong with my hot and cold gauge. After I have been driving my car for about 10 min. and when I stop at a stoplight for about a few minutes my gauge goes straight to the hot like it's overheating. When the light turns green or when I step on the gas it goes right back to the middle. Is there something wrong with my radiator fans?
bigjim

United States

#18 Oct 30, 2007
You do NOT have to remove the blower motor to replace the resistor module. You need to use a flex extension. Also, do NOT remove the back screws...just loosen them. The replacement unit will slide in so you just need to tighten them with the flex and then do the front screw.
bigjim

United States

#19 Oct 30, 2007
JRR wrote:
<quoted text>
It is your fan resister, it is located behind you fan under pass dash. You will have to drop the fan to remove it. Coat ~$35 for the resister and 30 min of work. Mine was on a 2000.
No need to drop the blower, use a flex extension and loosen the back 2 screws of the resistor module. The new module will fit right in. Then reinsert the front screw
wilfred

Palo Alto, CA

#20 Nov 20, 2007
Lucy Nahls wrote:
Lucy
hello this is call the resitance of the control swich change it and youre done.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chevrolet Impala Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
water leak coming in front passenger side. (Sep '11) Fri Dawn 37
impala dash lights stopped working (Nov '09) Nov 17 Jose Ovalle 142
impala ignition replacement (Apr '07) Nov 15 Will69 21
chevrolet impala abs/traction control lamp on p... (Apr '08) Nov 14 Aaron Hodgden 226
2006 impala electrical problems?? (Oct '10) Nov 13 Darlene 13
[2007 Impala] how to remove 'low washer fluid' ... (Oct '07) Nov 13 Darlene 11
2000 Chevy Impala - turn signal issue (Oct '08) Nov 13 Darlene 34
More from around the web